Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been enjoying this season up till the last episode. That last one was absolutely awful though, one of the worst in the show's whole run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Regy Rusty posted:

I've been enjoying this season up till the last episode. That last one was absolutely awful though, one of the worst in the show's whole run.

Yeah, like Harmon nailed the Goodfellas/mafia spoof with the Community episode, no need to do it again and a lot worse. But I too also have really liked this season, better than 4 at least.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked 4 more than most but this season is just whiffing it more than not for me. Though the episode with the decoys was definitely an all timer, the rest have gotten a chuckle or two at best for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I still reckon the drop in quality this season was largely caused by corona impacting the writers (as opposed to the delays last season being caused by corona impacting the animation staff). Will it pick up again? Who knows. But I think a lot of pandemic media has to be graded on a curve.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want some Space Beth adventures.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

MTV turned 40 years old today. What did they show for their 40th birthday, you might ask? Well,

https://twitter.com/MTVSchedule/status/1421874687945150467
I wanna say when MTV had their 20th anniversary, they had a ton of retrospective stuff that was really insightful and entertaining.

That was literally half a lifetime ago though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently the first 2 eps premiered last night. Could be fun, and all I know about Pahrump is that’s where Art Bell used to live and broadcast from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfu30G4AkJA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, this season of Rick and Morty has me thinking Roiland is mostly checked out and putting most of his effort into his other projects. It’s crazy comparing S2 of Solar Opposites to S5 of Rick and Morty. And I generally really like Rick and Morty, but this season. Ooof.

This season is one of the better ones overall, feels like they are moving character development forward, even rick has some minor blips of humanity leak in here and there. I don't know why you oof'd, even if you don't like the season, not seeing why oof.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finished The 100 last night. For the most part it was enjoyable, but the show got really frustrating as characters would start doing the dumbest poo poo possible in order to make more conflict. To the point of repeating exact situations from earlier in the show except now being on the other side and doing the same dumb poo poo they got frustrated that the other person in their position was doing. Literally every time someone decides not to kill someone, it comes back to bite them in the rear end so they can make more terrible decisions. Plus each new season being "I wonder what insane new enemy they will have this time." It feels insane that the show started off as 100 teenagers being sent down to an irradiated Earth and it ends with all that's left of humanity being turned into transcended energy beings.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

These are some really wacky CGI skeletons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

This season is one of the better ones overall, feels like they are moving character development forward, even rick has some minor blips of humanity leak in here and there. I don't know why you oof'd, even if you don't like the season, not seeing why oof.

I think it’s mostly the last two episodes in a row being pretty bad. The season started strong but episodes 4,6 and 7 were all super rough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm almost done with season 2 of the French War of the Worlds series on Epix and my suspension of disbelief was broken when an 'alien' knew that to open the trunk of a VW, you have to flip the badge as the latch.

If getting curbside pickup for 18 months has taught me anything, this is a very hard concept to grasp.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s mostly the last two episodes in a row being pretty bad. The season started strong but episodes 4,6 and 7 were all super rough.

6 and 7 have been my favourite eps of the season after the decoys one. 4 and 5 were pretty bad, though. I do agree this is currently the worst season so far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like this more than season 2 which I just generally did not care for. I think the quality has been pretty consistent for the past few seasons tbh and I'm really not sensing much variation here. Definitely some repetition of ideas and concepts though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

6 and 7 have been my favourite eps of the season after the decoys one. 4 and 5 were pretty bad, though. I do agree this is currently the worst season so far.

5 was the Hellraiser one, right? That was a concept that could have been perfect for Rick and Morty and they just went with the laziest possible route for it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Reading the thread made me binge White Lotus and holy poo poo this is incredible. The use of the drums and music during the dinner scene has to be one of the best ways of creating an ambiance I've ever seen. I desperately want the next episodes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hmmm. All this White Lotus talk makes me think I need to check it out.

I hear Steve Zahn hangs dong?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He fondles it for 3 seconds

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/TheFienPrint/status/1422647428373680129?s=19

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Hmmm. All this White Lotus talk makes me think I need to check it out.

I hear Steve Zahn hangs dong?

It was apparently a body double with a prosthetic. He’s real good in it though, as is everyone else.

My prediction for who dies is Paula because the lightning is striking her on the poster and Rachel is way too obvious. Armond is a strong possibility too, but I just have a feeling it’s going to take a swerve and the body isn’t even connected to the whole ongoing Shane vs. Armond thing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think I gave up around mid season 3, and then I hurt that they ushered out the show's best character (IMO). A lot of the cast seemed to have really inconsistent motivations, and the show dropped actors and plots at the drop of a hat. I assume it was a very bad set to be on.

So I guess what I'm asking is: did Season 4 / 5 solve these problems? -- other than the aforementioned best character departure, which I can easily ignore if the rest of the show is good.

I'm sure if I went back and analysed the character motivations they'd be as wildly inconsistent as ever as the shifting motivations tend to be the tool the show uses to change up the conflicts. But I think they're doing a good job of justifying the character shifts. For example (minor spoilers) Pope is just an erratic/shell-shocked mess but it's a result of aforementioned best character and Derran who used to be the sympathetic nice guy is now the careless/wild antagonist of the group but it's because he's broke, getting lent on by the cops.

They've done a decent job of not randomly dropping characters. I assume you're referring to things like the military dad/daughter. Nothing egregious like that. Most of the supporting cast they've introduced over the last few years have stuck around, so I wouldn't say that's an issue.

But no, the show hasn't changed a great deal in 3 years, so I'm sure whatever made you drop it previously still exists now. All with the exception that there is an end in site now so they can start to go all out.

Side question for everyone. This has to be one of my favourite TV houses. What are some of your favourite TV houses?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Looten Plunder posted:

What are some of your favourite TV houses?

The house from Six Feet Under for sure. so many good spots. the porch, the stairs, the gallery, the basement, the kitchen, the tv nook, the guest house. very top locations all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm sure if I went back and analysed the character motivations they'd be as wildly inconsistent as ever as the shifting motivations tend to be the tool the show uses to change up the conflicts. But I think they're doing a good job of justifying the character shifts. For example (minor spoilers) Pope is just an erratic/shell-shocked mess but it's a result of aforementioned best character and Derran who used to be the sympathetic nice guy is now the careless/wild antagonist of the group but it's because he's broke, getting lent on by the cops.

They've done a decent job of not randomly dropping characters. I assume you're referring to things like the military dad/daughter. Nothing egregious like that. Most of the supporting cast they've introduced over the last few years have stuck around, so I wouldn't say that's an issue.

But no, the show hasn't changed a great deal in 3 years, so I'm sure whatever made you drop it previously still exists now. All with the exception that there is an end in site now so they can start to go all out.

Thanks LP. I'm more tempted to check it out now.

Looten Plunder posted:

Side question for everyone. This has to be one of my favourite TV houses. What are some of your favourite TV houses?

It's loving gorgeous. You can see why they're so territorial about it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Looten Plunder posted:

Tony Soprano's house.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

This is such a bad idea and I love that they've gone to far to admit it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Kevin Can gently caress Himself saved their AMC approved once a season "f word" use for the finale with that switchover of Patti hitting Neal.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am watching 6 feet under and this billy and Claire stuff is real gross.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Worse than the Brenda and Billy stuff?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Worse than the Brenda and Billy stuff?

Well I haven't gotten that far yet. But your post and kind of the vibe is enough to infer what is going to be revealed I think.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Looten Plunder posted:

Not technically a house but Charlie's apartment from Always Sunny. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of great places to hide in there though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gently caress all other TV news because the most important announcement was made today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD45qe7O1U0
Joe Pera s3 this fall.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I am super jealous of Bosch's house.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

muscles like this! posted:

gently caress all other TV news because the most important announcement was made today:
Joe Pera s3 this fall.

fuuuuuuuuck yes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is definitely a soothing balm in these troubled times. I love how nobody ever makes fun of Joe for being so weird. Like how he gets his entire church to sing Baba O'Reilly or sets up a competition based on the movie Rat Race and a couple of people really get into it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's loving gorgeous. You can see why they're so territorial about it.

It really is. I love how the whole house wraps around the pool/deck area. I was super stoked to see that it actually is a real house, but super bummed that it was a house purpose built for the show that sits on the Universal back-lot.

It also blows my mind how close to the beach those houses are on The Strand in Oceanside. It's both super cool how close it is, and super terrifying that they'll probably fall into the Ocean in the next 25 years.
Look at this poo poo. (This is Craig's house in the show)

Matt Zerella posted:

Tony Soprano's house.

That's a good one. Another show with a good pool/yard area. His enormous front yard is really cool too.

I've always liked the Two and a Half Men house too. I love me a sunken loungeroom/multi level house.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 4, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I barely even remember the show, but I remember liking the Weeds house. Just super chill vibe, nice warm color tone, very open, lots of glass doors to the out back area. Plus you can hang out and get super stoned with Kevin Nealon like what could be more loose

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Looten Plunder posted:

I want to live in Sherlock's brownstone in Elementary.

I'd also settle for Downton Abbey though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

muscles like this! posted:

Joe Pera s3 this fall.

Heck yes, I genuinely think this show has become one of my all-time favorites. Like top 10 at least.

Also, crossing over with house chat, but Joe’s house on the show seems extremely cozy and great. It’s got that wood-paneled bedroom, the old person living room, and a bean arch in the backyard. It’s lovely!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Obviously the model home in Arrested Development.

Related to that, I remember trying to figure out just how Lucille's apartment layout could work given it's both across the hallway from and connected to Lucille 2's apartment and imagining it as some kind of House of Leaves scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could be the last apartment in the hall on each side and they meet like an L and J shape?