Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Jeopardy should be hosted by the greatest player of all time: IBM's Watson. :psylon:

It shoulda been Geoff Peterson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

First teaser for the new season of American Crime Story, on the Clinton impeachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrhBHuuR9U

Very meta that it's based on a book by Jeffrey Toobin.
I enjoyed both the previous seasons of American Crime Story and I'm curious to see how this will be handled. Clinton was an rear end in a top hat who threw Lewinsky under the bus, so I hope it doesn't portray him in a sympathetic light at all. How does the book handle it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

Real option: Craig Ferguson would annihilate that job.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, the (Three Busy) Debras were on this week's Miracle Workers.

I knew I recognised those women of the niwhores!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Azhais posted:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This comes out in a couple of weeks.
https://youtu.be/g-Af8zjRUqM

There is a full non teaser trailer out too if you want more.

Pretty stacked cast! Tons of Aussies too. Seeing Asher Keddie in an American production is wild.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was filmed in Australia as it's an Aussie author that wrote the book.

Edit: yep, it was filmed in Byron Bay

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

This comes out in a couple of weeks.
https://youtu.be/g-Af8zjRUqM

There is a full non teaser trailer out too if you want more.

Pretty stacked cast! Tons of Aussies too. Seeing Asher Keddie in an American production is wild.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was filmed in Australia as it's an Aussie author that wrote the book.

Edit: yep, it was filmed in Byron Bay

I kinda love that they're downplaying Keddie's involvement, even though she looks pretty central in a lot of the framing.

For those who don't know her, she's excellent. If you wanna see her, Ben Mendelssohn and a murderers row of other Aussie actors (Claudia Karvan, Daniel Wylie, Brendan Cowell) it's worth checking out Love My Way. Excellent show.

Oh and a pre fame Sam Worthington turns up too, back when he wasn't trying to an American accent so hard he stopped being able to act.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had Nine Perfect Strangers on my list for a while. It’s David E. Kelley adapting another Liane Moriarty book, so another attempt to capture the Big Little Lies magic. But hopefully it’s better than the last couple times Kelley tried that - BLL s2 and The Undoing were both awful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I enjoyed both the previous seasons of American Crime Story and I'm curious to see how this will be handled. Clinton was an rear end in a top hat who threw Lewinsky under the bus, so I hope it doesn't portray him in a sympathetic light at all. How does the book handle it?

I haven't read the book, but reviews I've read seem to say that it takes a middle road for thinking that Clinton was an rear end in a top hat, but also the impeachment was a dumb partisan farce.

I wasn't really hooked into season 2 of ACS but I thought the first season was really great. There's a great cast on this one also, though I don't know if I can picture Clive Owen as Clinton. Billy Eichner as Matt Drudge is pretty good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

“South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have reportedly closed an expansive new deal with ViacomCBS’ MTV Entertainment Studios.

The biggest element of this deal? The pair will produce a whopping fourteen movies based on the enduring Comedy Central animated franchise exclusively for the Paramount+ streaming service. In fact, two are expected to arrive before the year’s end.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

South Park is now just in a race to the finish line with Simpsons of "who has overstayed their welcome the longest?"

And I say that as someone who still likes and watches South Park

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I tapped out after PC Principal became a thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last few seasons have been pretty good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I tapped out after PC Principal became a thing.

My biggest problem with it was when they tried to do season long arcs. South Park is a "what's in the news, let's make fun of it this week" show, ongoing storylines don't really work too well. Except Professor Chaos, of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Olympics ratings are down half over 2016 so lemme ask y'all: why aren't YOU watching the olympics

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

Olympics ratings are down half over 2016 so lemme ask y'all: why aren't YOU watching the olympics

Coverage sucks poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

swickles posted:

Coverage sucks poo poo.

Yeah, NBC really doubled down on being even more awful than usual this year

Personally I haven't watched any Olympic coverage since the first time Bob Costas showed up on my screen to spend 20 minutes giving me the backstory on some swimmer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I haven't watched the olympics in years, so what are the issues with the coverage?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

zoux posted:

Yeah I haven't watched the olympics in years, so what are the issues with the coverage?

It's still shot, edited and presented like you have three channels to choose from and cannot instantly lookup real time results.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The 12 hours behind thing is really dragging it down too.

My Olympic watching has been like this:

I wake up and read the news and see who won everything.
I watch the clips of people winning online.
I then wait 10-12 hours to watch NBC show that coverage in primetime with a bunch of video packages interrupting coverage.

It's very anti-climatic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The combination of the prime time/TV coverage and using the NBC Sports app for all the OBS feeds has generally been fine, except for a few fuckups at the beginning and the slew of ads that get ungracefully plonked in whenever there’s a breather.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

Based on other comments:

1) It's extremely US centric to the point you don't even see the competing attempts sometimes
2) It's all time delayed
3) Despite the above they will still show 10 minutes of people milling about before an event, cut to commercial, and come back to see the aftermath of the event
4) Lots and lots of commercials in general, and on Peacock you need to sit through like 2.5 minutes of commercials just to see what event is on, so it's a huge pain to even find the right stuff
5) Their scheduling page to look up when you can watch an event shows the results right there so people that don't want the results spoiled can go gently caress themselves
6) wall to wall human interest stories instead of showing the sports

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

6) wall to wall human interest stories instead of showing the sports

My understanding is that many of these athletes experienced hardships and obstacles to overcome in order to reach for their dream of Olympic gold.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The olympics are bullshit op

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The strategy of "Let Simone Biles do everything" did not work for USA gymnastics, nor NBC. The Naomi Osaka upset may have cost tennis a few eyeballs as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If it ain't a couple of hairy naked people covered in oil scrambling around in the dirt, it ain't actually the olympics :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should've cancelled the 2020 olympics due to covid and then they should cancel the rest of them for sucking.

I guess I had this mistaken idea that Japan was a smarter country who would recognize the obvious problems of trying to host a multinational sports extravaganza in the middle of a global pandemic but I guess they're just as dumb as the rest of us.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A lot of Japanese people wanted to cancel the games, but I believe there was a massive economy-wrecking fine that was gonna be imposed in addition to all the other costs they'd already incurred.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The economy wrecking fine was "hosting the olympics with no tourists"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

The economy wrecking fine was "hosting the olympics with no tourists"

Hey man, they'd already built the loving stadiums, sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a thing

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Arist posted:

A lot of Japanese people wanted to cancel the games, but I believe there was a massive economy-wrecking fine that was gonna be imposed in addition to all the other costs they'd already incurred.

Yeah, there were major contractual obligations that would have ruined many Japanese businesses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

None of these contracts had force majeure clauses? Seems like an oversight in the land of nuclear meltdown tsunamis.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
The best summary of how and why NBC's Olympics coverage sucks rear end is the way they covered the opening ceremonies. Despite crowing about how they were going to be showing it live as it happened on national TV at the crack of dawn, the broadcast was identical to how they've shown every single other tape-delayed ceremony- cut to ribbons by commercials, and layered over by insipid commentary from idiots who feel that running their mouths is more important than shutting the gently caress up when they have nothing important to say. Always great to have constant ad breaks during the Parade of Nations, bracketed by looking at the US athletes milling around at the olympic village or sitting on a loving bus on their way to the stadium, instead of actually seeing the goddamned ceremony.

It's 10 billion percent better/easier to just watch event replays off of NBC's site instead of on TV, primarily because those are just the raw OBS feeds without NBC's dumbass commentary, and an adblocker kills the endless loving commercials. Plus you can pick and choose what to watch, whereas anything that isn't swimming, running, or gymnastics isn't deemed prestigious enough for airing on TV primetime, and the coverage on USA/NBCSN is seemingly picked & assigned at random.

Unfortunately, the bigger issue is that these Olympics have honestly been kinda depressing. Every stadium and arena being completely barren and empty has been a real bummer, doubly so when watching rugby- you can hear the pre-recorded announcer trying to amp up a crowd that doesn't exist, and it just reminds you that this whole endeavor is going to be such a financial black hole for Japan, above and beyond how even a normal Olympics is a money pit.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 5, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's possible that once COVID was a known quantity and it seemed to be on the downslope, force majeure stopped applying. They already pushed the games back a year after all. Of course I'm talking directly out of my rear end based on stuff I've overheard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Olympics have sucked for my entire lifetime.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argus Zant posted:

The best summary of how and why NBC's Olympics coverage sucks rear end is the way they covered the opening ceremonies. Despite crowing about how they were going to be showing it live as it happened on national TV at the crack of dawn, the broadcast was identical to how they've shown every single other tape-delayed ceremony- cut to ribbons by commercials, and layered over by insipid commentary from idiots who feel that running their mouths is more important than shutting the gently caress up when they have nothing important to say. Always great to have constant ad breaks during the Parade of Nations, bracketed by looking at the US athletes milling around at the olympic village or sitting on a loving bus on their way to the stadium, instead of actually seeing the goddamned ceremony.

I mean at least NBC didn't throw up a picture of Dracula on screen when talking about Romania during the opening ceremony. Which is a thing that another network did in fact do. So I guess it could have been worse.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Argus Zant posted:

It's 10 billion percent better/easier to just watch event replays off of NBC's site instead of on TV, primarily because those are just the raw OBS feeds without NBC's dumbass commentary, and an adblocker kills the endless loving commercials. Plus you can pick and choose what to watch, whereas anything that isn't swimming, running, or gymnastics isn't deemed prestigious enough for airing on TV primetime, and the coverage on USA/NBCSN is seemingly picked & assigned at random.

Unfortunately, the bigger issue is that these Olympics have honestly been kinda depressing. Every stadium and arena being completely barren and empty has been a real bummer, doubly so when watching rugby- you can hear the pre-recorded announcer trying to amp up a crowd that doesn't exist, and it just reminds you that this whole endeavor is going to be such a financial black hole for Japan, above and beyond how even a normal Olympics is a money pit.

what ad blocker are you using that kills the commercials, i need a new one i think (it wouldnt let me watch the website with it enabled)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

I mean at least NBC didn't throw up a picture of Dracula on screen when talking about Romania during the opening ceremony. Which is a thing that another network did in fact do. So I guess it could have been worse.

Lmao, what???

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dracula is too scary for the children. They should have gone with Chocula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Arist posted:

Lmao, what???

I know there was a South Korean broadcast that used pictures of Chernobyl for Ukraine. I didn't hear about the dracula though, lmao