Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

muscles like this! posted:

CW's live action Powerpuff Girls has started to come apart at the seams as Chloe Bennet has exited the project (which was going to eventually shoot another pilot) due to "scheduling conflicts."

Aww she was the only reason I had any interest in that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are the scream movies any good?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
what is this "movie"?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tosk posted:

I couldn't find a thread for The Americans and have been spoiled after going through The Wire, Sopranos, and part of Mad Men with Jerusalem's amazing commentary. Does anyone have any recommendations for companion pieces as I rewatch the series? Would love to read some thoughtful analysis on the historical context of everything that's going on.

There's this reddit archive of episode discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAmericans/wiki/episodes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Are the scream movies any good?

They're kind of a victim of their own popularity because if you've seen any horror movies made after them you've seen most of their tricks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

They're kind of a victim of their own popularity because if you've seen any horror movies made after them you've seen most of their tricks.

I just rewatched all 4 of them. 1 holds up still, 2 BILLY'S MOTHERand 3 are atrocious and 4 is decent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The original Scream still holds up. It's one of those movies that, even though I own it, if I stumble across it on TV I usually end up watching the whole thing (5th Element also falls into this category.)

The twists of the plot aren't really the point, though they are delivered in a very straightforward manner that don't seem convoluted in retrospect. The various set pieces in the movie work so well and the pacing is about perfect. The movie also pretty much embodies the 90s without beating you over the head about it.

It also brought the R rated slasher back to the theater.

I'm really looking forward to the UHD coming out in a few months.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Medullah posted:

I just rewatched all 4 of them. 1 holds up still, 2 BILLY'S MOTHERand 3 are atrocious and 4 is decent.

I'd say 1 holds up, 2 is underrated (it veers a little harder into the gore than the first one did, though you can tell the movie is a victim of the entire third act being rewritten after a leak in the middle of shooting--the original killers were Derek, Hallie and Debbie Salt; they also toyed with going whole-hog and having Cotton involved), 3 is a mess with a few decent scenes but is overall disappointing because Ehren Kruger is a loving terrible writer but it at least has a killer remix of Nick Cave's Red Right Hand, and I thought 4 was just really forgettable; even Wes Craven said he was incredibly unhappy with 4 and didn't enjoy talking about it after it was released.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 11, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Timby posted:

I'd say 1 holds up, 2 is underrated (it veers a little harder into the gore than the first one did, though you can tell the movie is a victim of the entire third act being rewritten after a leak in the middle of shooting--the original killers were Derek, Hallie and Debbie Salt; they also toyed with going whole-hog and having Cotton involved), 3 is a mess with a few decent scenes but is overall disappointing because Ehren Kruger is a loving terrible writer but it at least has a killer remix of Nick Cave's Red Right Hand, and I thought 4 was just really forgettable; even Wes Craven said he was incredibly unhappy with 4 and didn't enjoy talking about it after it was released.

When I saw Scream 2 in the theater I was 100% convinced the killer was Portia De Rossi and Rebecca Gayhearts sorority sisters. Rewatching I actually had pushed the actual killers memory out of my head and I watched it thinking my memory of them being the killers was correct, and it made a lot of sense still.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Medullah posted:

When I saw Scream 2 in the theater I was 100% convinced the killer was Portia De Rossi and Rebecca Gayhearts sorority sisters. Rewatching I actually had pushed the actual killers memory out of my head and I watched it thinking my memory of them being the killers was correct, and it made a lot of sense still.

Yeah, Scream 2 is what happens when your original script gets out into the open and then your writer and director have to do the mother of all rear end-pulls to switch things up. Williamson later said, after Craven's death, that there was never a leak and that they were sending fake scripts to the cast, but before he passed, Craven steadfastly denied that (and spoke quite openly about the leaks on audio commentaries).

Then with Scream 3 they just decided to do the dumbest poo poo possible and go with the secret half-brother as the killer. :suicide:

Edit: I'll also never forget how salty Craven was about Scream 4. Craven quite specifically signed on to do the movie because Kevin Williamson was going to be the sole writer, and then TWC sacked Williamson and brought in that rat-turd Ehren Kruger to do rewrites. In an interview about the movie, Craven flat-out said, "I signed up to direct a movie written by Kevin. That didn't happen."

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 11, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can assure you I have not. The only horror movies I've seen are the number 23, the invisible maniac, and the one with the evil water coming through the ceiling. It's not a genre I prefer.

Really I'm just reeling from no scream queens season three and figure watching scream and mean girls back to back is as close to season three I'll get

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CW's live action Powerpuff Girls has started to come apart at the seams as Chloe Bennet has exited the project (which was going to eventually shoot another pilot) due to "scheduling conflicts."

What's the likelihood that the first pilot with the edgy script that people didn't like gets leaked?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Randallteal posted:

What's the likelihood that the first pilot with the edgy script that people didn't like gets leaked?

It might show up eventually but I wouldn't hold my breath. It wasn't screened anywhere so someone involved in the production would have to leak it and they probably won't unless the second pilot fails.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Medullah posted:

Anyone watching Reservation Dogs? First episode seemed interesting but didn't totally grab me. I want to give anything Taika does a chance though.

My wife and I are. She's loving that there's finally some TV media that feels like it's made for her.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I really liked the first episode of Reservation Dogs, gonna check out the 2nd tonight.

Also, Brooklyn Nine-Nine returns tomorrow (Thursday) night with 2 episodes! I hope we get more Cheddar this season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

I can assure you I have not. The only horror movies I've seen are the number 23, the invisible maniac, and the one with the evil water coming through the ceiling. It's not a genre I prefer

Scream is a bit like Cabin in the Woods, in which, the charm and cleverness of the movies is that they are riffing on/subverting horror movie tropes.

They can still be enjoyable in isolation but you're not going to get the full effect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Seed of Chucky is a better version of Scream than Scream is, IMO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/tv/a37218555/taboo-season-2-tom-hardy/
So according to Tom Hardy he still plans on making another season of Taboo. Although it sounds pretty far off since he doesn't even have a concrete concept of what he wants to do yet, talking about maybe abandoning the characters of season 1 and doing something in a different time period.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I remember really liking taboo but I can't remember anything specific about it. Gonna have to do a rewatch at some point.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I liked the concept/world of taboo but the show kind of bored me at the same time so I like this idea

(It was basically mystical Tom Hardy returns from Africa to take on the East India Company over the inheritance (from his father's murder) of a valuable island that they want.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 12, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Saw this on another forum and it sums up Taboo pretty well

quote:

mmmmm
*walks angrily*
hhhhhmmmm
*wears tophat tilted slightly forward*
ahhh hmm hmmm
*rides horse angrily*
ahhh nootka hmmmmm
*mutters in african*
mmmmmhmmmmm
*puts powder on face*
mmmm powder hmmm
*unsheathes karambit*
aaah hmmm mmmmm
*bangs sister*
choose your next words...very...carefully
*bangs sister in her dreams via african magic*
mmmm nootka... ahhhh
*opens eyes wide and stares*
hnnnnnnn hmmm
*cuts out heart*
mmmmm tell the company hhhhnnnnnn aaahhh
*has vision of his mother in a river*
hhhmmmhhmmm the treaty hmmm
*doesn't wear pants*
speak to me of poison, hmmmm
*slices off thumb*
be very careful, mmmm
*frightens child*
are you crown, mhm, or are you, mmm, company?
*blows powder*
mmmm, give me a ship hhhmmm
*sees ghost*
THIS IS MINE
*takes alcohol*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I started Taboo and Bates Motel around the same time and all that incest was just a bit too much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I respect the acting in Bates Motel for conveying a situation where it would somehow have been less disconcerting if they actually slept together.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Saw this on another forum and it sums up Taboo pretty well

Heh, was just thinking about Taboo. My memories of it are just *takes another blow to the head past the point of suspension of disbelief, like ow, that's going to take a while to recover from. No? OK carry on then* and "I have a use for you"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So it's the Citizen Kane of slasher movies?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently this is still happening. At least the cast appears age appropriate and not full of 25 year olds playing kids.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1425826908462272512

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hey does anyone have a good example of a comedy that has someone saying something ridiculous offscreen as the character onscreen tries to pretend its not happening. Feels like its a gag that's been done a bit, and I'm trying to remember one, but the only one I can remember is the one in the IT crowd when someone founds out someone is transgender while someone else is giving a press conference, and that is probably one of the worst scenes imaginable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

wait it was going to be another killer boyfriend? That's lame, and lol poor Sydney

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shageletic posted:

hey does anyone have a good example of a comedy that has someone saying something ridiculous offscreen as the character onscreen tries to pretend its not happening. Feels like its a gag that's been done a bit, and I'm trying to remember one, but the only one I can remember is the one in the IT crowd when someone founds out someone is transgender while someone else is giving a press conference, and that is probably one of the worst scenes imaginable.
Don't have the example, but I hate how that's tied into one of the funniest gags of the series (the whole Internet box thing). Really pulls that episode down.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone seen or even heard of Motherland Fort Salem? The synopsis says ""An army of witches train to combat terrorist threats" which I would assume would at least be entertaining in a stupid way but this is literally the first I've ever heard of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's....weird. It's very much a show aimed at tween/younger teen girls, but it's also about graphic depictions of battlefield trauma where these witch cadets are thrown into meat grinder situations. So, you'll have an episode where all the boys from the Boys Witch Academy go to the Girls Witch Academy for a sexy dance but the B-plot is about one of the cadets getting resurrected through necromancy and tortured for information. I watched about half of the first season, it's not great but it's better than you would think. It's like Full Metal Jacket mixed with Step Up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shageletic posted:

Not a show but the dinner scene in Wedding Crasher comes to mind. Vince Vauhn is getting jerked under the table and Owen Wilson tries to play it off.

Maybe NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGttPiA96ec

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

DAVE finale - That was rough. But the end made it all worth it? Here's hoping it gets renewed

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hughmoris posted:

Not a show but the dinner scene in Wedding Crasher comes to mind. Vince Vauhn is getting jerked under the table and Owen Wilson tries to play it off.

Maybe NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGttPiA96ec

Reminds me of the press conference in the first Police Academy.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Shageletic posted:

The first thing that came to mind was in Seinfeld when Larry David shouts offscreen IS ANYONE HERE A MARINE BIOLOGIST??? Maybe not exactly what you're looking for since George could only ignore it for like 2 seconds, but It might be my favorite line in the entire show and now I can't stop giggling to myself thinking about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brock Samson posted:

DAVE finale - That was rough. But the end made it all worth it? Here's hoping it gets renewed

My emotions couldn’t handle all of that omg. Really good season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

The first thing that came to mind was in Seinfeld when Larry David shouts offscreen IS ANYONE HERE A MARINE BIOLOGIST??? Maybe not exactly what you're looking for since George could only ignore it for like 2 seconds, but It might be my favorite line in the entire show and now I can't stop giggling to myself thinking about it.

The sea was angry that day my friends...

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Escobarbarian posted:

My emotions couldn’t handle all of that omg. Really good season.

DAVE - I started crying for GaTa. Then I realized where he was and I REALLY started crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

wait it was going to be another killer boyfriend? That's lame, and lol poor Sydney

Yyyyyyyyyyyep.