Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Goddam Reservation Dogs is so drat good. I'm not crying you're crying it's my allergies

Yeah I think the last couple episodes are where I’ve finally understood why everyone loves it quite so much. Really good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I think the last couple episodes are where I’ve finally understood why everyone loves it quite so much. Really good stuff.

I'm watching TV wrong because I've done the opposite. I think the first two episodes started out strong, but the rest have been middling. I didn't watch the latest episode, but I was so bored during the last two that I almost fell asleep.

With Survivor AU done, I think I'm out of current things to watch!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

I can't think of a single character he played on SNL besides generic stoner.

the joe pesci show, his impersonation of which was... eh, it was serviceable.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Final Space was cancelled and I'm gutted.

Apparently it was the Discovery+
merger that killed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFg3ljZF2kA

Oh man....I really liked that show. Super bummed as well.

X-O posted:

Hey now, being vaccinated is giving me more and more advantages over the unvaccinated all the time.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1437530546893119489

It's cute that some intern thought Jim Breuer was relevant enough in 2021 to throw this tweet up though.

Wasn't his thing that he just looked perma stoned so he always got typecast but inside he was secretly just a bro? Either way the typical Gen X narrative of being sorta cool in the 90s then going full boomer once they hit 40+. Maybe he can make movies with Kevin Sorbo for Gods Not Dead 20: Brimstone Boogaloo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fuckin Netflix, people give it poo poo for cancelling shows after two seasons, but maybe they should have a mandate to auto-greenlight 2 seasons of anything they make. Watched a show last night "Nobody's Looking." It looked dumb the first time I tried watching and I bounced off, but this time I actually really enjoyed it. It was a fun take on angels and stuff, I love a metaphysical bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger and I looked it up and they aren't making another season. drat you netflix. Why did y'all even suggest it to me if it's already in your ditch?

Special gently caress you shout out to the people who write articles about if a show is cancelled or not. Really appreciate the way y'all pad out article with useless descriptions of the existing show, shoving the only information anyone obviously sought by clicking the article near the bottom. An article with the title, "is X show getting another season" should have a body that is exactly one word long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Khanstant posted:

Special gently caress you shout out to the people who write articles about if a show is cancelled or not. Really appreciate the way y'all pad out article with useless descriptions of the existing show, shoving the only information anyone obviously sought by clicking the article near the bottom. An article with the title, "is X show getting another season" should have a body that is exactly one word long.

That's not just show stuff. That's the very definition of clickbait articles. They need to string you along for paragraphs upon paragraphs to SEO and to make you view as many ads as possible.

Recipes are the worst about it. No, I don't want to read your essay on how this breaded chicken recipe got you through the tough times and reminds you of your childhood and how it's always a crowd pleaser when you make it for your 5th cousin twice removed so you can reminisce about the summers you spent with your aunt on a farm in the 1960s where you got up at 5am to collect the farm fresh eggs that you would use later that evening to make the breading stick.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

still mad about the Marco Polo cliff hanger

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At least throw up the script outline or just a scribbled not of what the intended end game would've been even if they never wrote how we got there.

I just wanna know who the angel guy at the end in the Boss' office was gonna be, no way he was going to be the actually God, presumably another Angelus who learned the hollow random secret of their order and angelus growth.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
These things often come out in later interviews with creators, like with Carnivale. Just hound journalists for years on Twitter to ask the creator those questions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, nothing is ever truly dead nowadays so you have to weigh any possibility of revival vs telling your secrets.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s like 1 out of 200 shows that get revived. I don’t count on poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But if you are a creative and this is your baby you have to weigh that choice of shutting the door forever or not.

I will say that Final Space's season 3 finale ranks up there with the Farscape cliffhanger.

"Our heroes lost, goodbye everyone!"

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

But if you are a creative and this is your baby you have to weigh that choice of shutting the door forever or not.

I will say that Final Space's season 3 finale ranks up there with the Farscape cliffhanger.

"Our heroes lost, goodbye everyone!"

Arg - I know. I said it before but the whole show was a "what if Farscape and Futurama had a baby?" I enjoyed Season 1 but it was a bit just ok. Enjoyable with lots of interesting tidbits but just ok. Season 2 hooked me fairly quick and season 3 was amazing. Wish it had a couple of more seasons as that a hell of a cliff hanger. Maybe in a year or two. The creator loves this show and it's his baby so I doubt it's going away forever in the same universe where Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers get a chance to wrap up. Hopefully it gets a full 1-2 seasons as opposed to a movie. Isn't animation still among the easiest shows to make in these plague times?

bull3964 posted:

Recipes are the worst about it. No, I don't want to read your essay on how this breaded chicken recipe got you through the tough times and reminds you of your childhood and how it's always a crowd pleaser when you make it for your 5th cousin twice removed so you can reminisce about the summers you spent with your aunt on a farm in the 1960s where you got up at 5am to collect the farm fresh eggs that you would use later that evening to make the breading stick.

This cannot be stated enough. I'm going to sound like an old here but I miss the good old days where the preferred method for sharing recipes, gametips or whatever was a static image and words on a webpage. Every fuckko that posts a video has to have an annoying voice and natter on for a decade about rubbish before finally getting to the bloody point. I have accepted that 99% of the times I want to see a gametip I'm going to have to suffer for it but recipes and cooking? Your example is spot on. I'd suffer a million more Buffy and Angel Fan compilations to that loving Evanescence song if I could just go back in time to when Youtube "cooks" uploaded vids that got to the point.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1437843997985177600

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh what the gently caress :negative:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Missed 9/11 by 3 days

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh Jesus gently caress no

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
No goddammit no

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Shageletic posted:

Missed 9/11 by 3 days
It was always on his heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI
For real though, this loving sucks :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

*points to thread title*

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

holy poo poo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Splint Chesthair posted:

Alias lost me the moment they unrolled an ancient scroll and boom there’s a sketch of Jennifer Garner’s face.
That was just the big JJ Abrams "there will be time travel in this" notice and then they failed to actually deliver

GreenNight posted:

Are there any shows like Burn Notice in anymore?
There's a new Leverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPOeC78AV4M

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It did feel like the seasonal villain stuff got bigger each season and it’s why I fell off at/after S4. The small scale stuff was so much more fun.
Yeah I think that's about where everyone fell off because the show didn't last much longer

Khanstant posted:

Fuckin Netflix, people give it poo poo for cancelling shows after two seasons, but maybe they should have a mandate to auto-greenlight 2 seasons of anything they make. Watched a show last night "Nobody's Looking." It looked dumb the first time I tried watching and I bounced off, but this time I actually really enjoyed it. It was a fun take on angels and stuff, I love a metaphysical bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger and I looked it up and they aren't making another season. drat you netflix. Why did y'all even suggest it to me if it's already in your ditch?
The problem is shows like that aren't real Netflix originals, they're foreign shows that Netflix picks up the international rights to. So the reason it only got one season is because the network in the country where it was made decided not to make more and there's not really anything Netflix can do.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 14, 2021

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wow

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1437854232372260873?s=21

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

*points to thread title*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Norm was the best. My earliest memory of his work is this

https://youtu.be/5F6dXcW-_Fc

Stay to the end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1437853043249356801

This is a great bit.

Absolute first ballot HOF late night guest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The moth story is the greatest interview moment from a guest on late night ever. I'm at work and don't have the video. Someone link it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJN9mBRX3uo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Look up the Chrome / Firefox extension Recipe Filter. It strips out all the narrative bullshit and awful photography on a recipe page and just pops up a window with ... you guessed it: Just the recipe, ingredients and instructions. No frills.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timby posted:

Look up the Chrome / Firefox extension Recipe Filter. It strips out all the narrative bullshit and awful photography on a recipe page and just pops up a window with ... you guessed it: Just the recipe, ingredients and instructions. No frills.

You're a saint

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rip king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNdmGiM0puM

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The book he did a couple years ago was also loving amazing. Grab it on Audible if you can, I can't imagine just reading the words on page rather than hearing him tell it himself.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Rhyno posted:

Norm was the best. My earliest memory of his work is this

https://youtu.be/5F6dXcW-_Fc

Stay to the end

This is still one of my all-time favorite late night appearances, if not my absolute favorite. RIP :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

That's not just show stuff. That's the very definition of clickbait articles. They need to string you along for paragraphs upon paragraphs to SEO and to make you view as many ads as possible.

Grab the paprika app. It'll rip the recipe and save it to your phone or tablet. Separate out the ingredients and the instructions. And allow you to change batch size or convert units easy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
May I introduce you all to this crazy idea of a printer where you can have real life physical copies of recipes, with no ads even!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
First of all, gently caress your printer, and gently caress all printers. In the 30 plus years I have been around them, I have never had a printer I loved, or even liked or at the very least didn't want throw into a canal and then set the canal on fire.

Secondly, you are gonna get all that poo poo when you print it out. Do you think printers magically do the stuff an app or extension does?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

bull3964 posted:

I use a chrome addon called sponsorblock that uses user provided time marks to skip over paid ad sections in youtube videos. So now when I'm watching Emmymade or Sam the Cooking Guy to see a recipe get made I don't have to guess how long the cringe pivot to commercial copy dialog will last. As far as online recipes that do that 'essay about why this is special to me' or whatever its about, I just try to stick to known sources and repositories. You still have to click on 'show me the rest' buttons when it shows you 1/2 the recipe and nothing else to prevent it from being shown on a search engine result; I dunno what to do about that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The United States posted:

The problem is shows like that aren't real Netflix originals, they're foreign shows that Netflix picks up the international rights to. So the reason it only got one season is because the network in the country where it was made decided not to make more and there's not really anything Netflix can do.

Alright, well then, gently caress Brazil. As fellow Whole Americans, we should come together to revive this show I liked from a couple years ago.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

swickles posted:

First of all, gently caress your printer, and gently caress all printers. In the 30 plus years I have been around them, I have never had a printer I loved, or even liked or at the very least didn't want throw into a canal and then set the canal on fire.

Secondly, you are gonna get all that poo poo when you print it out. Do you think printers magically do the stuff an app or extension does?

Uh no you click on the "print this recipe" button and it will print just the recipe but you do you and get heated about a very common household and office electronic. I'll be over here leafing through my binder of printed and laminated recipes with no long rambling stories attached :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

*points to thread title*

Fuuuuuuck