Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The United States posted:

We should call them years instead of seasons or series

The problem with that is (at least before like 3-4 years ago) most shows "seasons/series/years" spanned from Fall to Spring, so encompassing two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my loving god, remember that super weird Dean Norris sitcom about taking in an afghan interpreter?

https://twitter.com/andrewneville/status/1443377679538049027?s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus christ

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CBS must be stopped

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my loving god, remember that super weird Dean Norris sitcom about taking in an afghan interpreter?

There’s gonna be real powerful “Dr Doom crying while looking at Ground Zero” energy from this Very Special Episode

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MiddleOne posted:

Oh no...do some people feel guilty about making a mockery of human tragedy now that it's been all over CNN for the entire world to see?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I forgot that show existed. They should just cancel it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, let's unpack this.

The standard CBS demographic that would watch this show are also the ones laying 100% of the blame of this on the current administration, they get to watch a very special episode that lets them tut tut about that while completely missing the part where they were already watching a sitcom who's very existence was insensitive to the situation that their party had no small part in creating.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bull3964 posted:

So, let's unpack this.

The standard CBS demographic that would watch this show are also the ones laying 100% of the blame of this on the current administration, they get to watch a very special episode that lets them tut tut about that while completely missing the part where they were already watching a sitcom who's very existence was insensitive to the situation that their party had no small part in creating.

I mean, I legit thought there was going to be a punchline and laugh track when he paused on the phone...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The whole thing is just....

Anyone with any awareness of the situation knew it was going to end in tragedy, that it was ending in tragedy on basically a daily basis. Yet they just forged forward with the show.

It's baffling.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

The problem with that is (at least before like 3-4 years ago) most shows "seasons/series/years" spanned from Fall to Spring, so encompassing two years.

Meanwhile, the cable channels that were once owned by Scripps (HGTV, Food Network, etc) use a "13 episodes = 1 season" model. House Hunters is nearing season 150.

E:: This week was the season premiere for #206 :pwn:

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 30, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Doing a fall and spring 26 episode season is easier to do when you've got a sitcom with a couple major sets and it's just situation of the week stuff. Nowadays, every major show has a bunch of special effects even if you don't realize it. A regular drama show might have a crazy green screen shot where they replace the background with a bustling city background. I still have no idea how the hell they made 26 episode Star Trek seasons in the 90s.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Doing a fall and spring 26 episode season is easier to do when you've got a sitcom with a couple major sets and it's just situation of the week stuff. Nowadays, every major show has a bunch of special effects even if you don't realize it. A regular drama show might have a crazy green screen shot where they replace the background with a bustling city background. I still have no idea how the hell they made 26 episode Star Trek seasons in the 90s.

You locked some actors in a sound-stage and pointed cameras at them until you had a show. In some separate building you had VFX-folk playing with miniatures. It was a simpler time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A better time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Some network jobs (even ones with vfx) have postpro delivery as slim as a week or two. Narrative TV is only limited by how quickly writers can pump out scripts and how many shooting hours (i.e. number and complexity of camera setups and locations) the studio wants to give a director. soap operas shoot an episode a day or more. (Network TV is 8-10 days of shooting per hour)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MiddleOne posted:

Jesus Christ for a minute I thought this was someone making a joke and recording audio over audio from the show.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

that would be the first time united states of al was ever involved in a joke

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

I still have no idea how the hell they made 26 episode Star Trek seasons in the 90s.

You forget just how much time was being spent in sets that take place on the Enterprise, and there were plenty of locations that were simply redressed versions of existent sets.

I seem to remember some article I read in the 90's about TNG, because I was that nerd, and they were working on 3 episodes at a time. One in pre-production, one in production, and one in post-production.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

whenever i show people trek episodes and theres a drinking game involved, "episode uses the cave set" is always a finish your current drink level rule

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello couch chat! I have not posted much in TVIV (the flash thread only really) but a few days ago Escobarbarian got me to start Ted Lasso and I just am bursting at the seams with love for the show and more importantly the man and I want to make a post about it.

Despite being from the UK I know as much about football as Lasso himself and I like that it is just a backdrop to the show whereas the main thrust is that Lasso is a decent person (who I wish was real and could be his friend) and that every other character improves as a person just from having him around. He is like a sun of earnest positivity that slowly helps everyone without being over the top or cloying and I dig it.

I finished episode 6 last night and I think my favourite moments have been:

The back to the future Coach Beard joke - out of nowhere gave me the same reaction as Ted and I loved it.
Where he tells Jamie off about missing practice - phenomenal to see him peeved and strong and believable.
His smile in the face of being called some pretty hurtful things.
The blossoming friendship between Keeley and Rebecca.
Roy realising he needed to be the leader thanks to the book Ted gave him - in fact everyone getting books that represent what they need to understand about themselves.
Nate the Great being treated like a person.
Ted remembering names and others being surprised even though it really is just a basic bit of decency.

I am so enamoured with this show that I think it will end up in my top 5 of all time. So glad I still have so many episodes left too :3:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fighting temptation to put the CBS laugh track over that clip.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

whenever i show people trek episodes and theres a drinking game involved, "episode uses the cave set" is always a finish your current drink level rule

The original series also had the visits to planets that just happened to be like Earth, which let them use the studio backlot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

VideoGames posted:

Hello couch chat! I have not posted much in TVIV (the flash thread only really) but a few days ago Escobarbarian got me to start Ted Lasso and I just am bursting at the seams with love for the show and more importantly the man and I want to make a post about it.

I finished episode 6 last night and I think my favourite moments have been:

Where he tells Jamie off about missing practice - phenomenal to see him peeved and strong and believable.

The best part of Ted's little rant there is how it inverts a real thing Allen Iverson said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tknXRyUEJtU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MiddleOne posted:

Someone fixed it

https://twitter.com/thesaddesttweet/status/1443401504224862216

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I seem to remember some article I read in the 90's about TNG, because I was that nerd, and they were working on 3 episodes at a time. One in pre-production, one in production, and one in post-production.

This is standard for network shows. There are two teams consisting of a director, two assistant directors, and a director of photography: one for even episodes and one for odd episodes. Let's say an even episode starts shooting, so the odd team (and a producer) will go out on a director's scout, where the director will pick which locations they want to film in and the ADs and DP will roughly compute how much time each scene will take given the locations and script requirements. After this, you'll get some script revisions where things like "EXT NYC ALLEY" become "EXT NYC SIDEWALK" because Manhattan has a grand total of 4 alleys. A couple days later, when the locations are mostly chosen and booked, the odd team and the department heads (art, props, grip, electric, transpo, etc) will go on a tech scout and determine what is needed in terms of manpower, background, and extra equipment. This is where the director and DP will roughly frame in what shots they want to do for the ADs to schedule. Then a couple days later, the even episode wraps and the teams flip between shoot and prep. The even director will leave to oversee editing and post, the odd director will shoot, and the even ADs and DP will start prep with a new director.

Now that's the network standard. But when you have streaming where a whole season is dropped at once or a shorter season with more cinematic qualities (read: expensive), this changes. Many jobs choose to block shoot, where the teams will take two or three episodes to shoot at a time (especially in half hour shows). I just worked on a wild HBO job where they shot all ten episodes like a movie with the same directorial team at the same time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Midnight Mass is cool. Matt Saracen! Lotta cat death though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

zoux posted:

Midnight Mass is cool. Matt Saracen! Lotta cat death though.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't die (I hope, I haven't seen the show yet)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I really like Midnight Mass because I am all about well delivered monologues about faith, life, and death. But my wife is finding it uninteresting since it's not a straight ghost story like Hill House/Bly Manor. End of episode 5 was dope af.

But I gotta say the CG on the seagulls in one of the earlier episode was horrible, like PS2 pre-rendered cutscenes level bad. And the old age prosthetic makeup is noticable to the point of distraction. I blame it on covid because why not.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 30, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it also kind of gives away what's going on. I'm only 1.5 episodes in and I think I know what the weird secret is.

Also tons of tracking shots!

The whole thing: small New England town, highly provincial, everyone knows each other, but something just seems off and there's a dark secret lurking just under the surface is extremely Steven King. Which, given the fact that there are shots of no fewer than three King books in the first episode, has to be intentional.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cojawfee posted:

I still have no idea how the hell they made 26 episode Star Trek seasons in the 90s.
If you can find some cast interviews on YouTube, you'll hear every once in a while that they'd work 18 hour days. Unions kinda make TNG an impossibility nowadays.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Yeah it also kind of gives away what's going on. I'm only 1.5 episodes in and I think I know what the weird secret is.

Also tons of tracking shots!

The whole thing: small New England town, highly provincial, everyone knows each other, but something just seems off and there's a dark secret lurking just under the surface is extremely Steven King. Which, given the fact that there are shots of no fewer than three King books in the first episode, has to be intentional.

Flanagan's a big King fan. When he was doing Doctor Sleep he was really focused on trying to find a way to get King at peace with Kubrick's more popular version of the Shining and find some way to address King's long concerns. They seem kind of close and seem to share influences. So yeah, at this stage I'd just say Flanagan's at least in part a tribute act.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 30, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Goliath rocks

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Google Butt posted:

Goliath rocks

Yup. Patti is just the best.

Only Murders In The Building is pretty good, too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of Steve Dildarian's new show "10 Year Old Tom" and it is completely hilarious.

"Soft Pretzels (Drugs)"

Also John Malkovich is in it for some reason.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
gently caress yes! If it's anything like The Life And Times Of Tim, I'll love it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh fun, even though I tell my software ‘tell me about all new shows’ it let that slip while thinking I care about 10 new animes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

isaboo posted:

gently caress yes! If it's anything like The Life And Times Of Tim, I'll love it.

It is very much in the same vein.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also The Life and Times of Tim got added to HBO Max too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

swickles posted:

Right, I just mean calling it "Year 1" and "Year 2" etc., instead of referring to the calendar year.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Meanwhile, the cable channels that were once owned by Scripps (HGTV, Food Network, etc) use a "13 episodes = 1 season" model. House Hunters is nearing season 150.

E:: This week was the season premiere for #206 :pwn:
I suggest in those sorts of cases we take a cue from the Japanese who love their French and replace "season" with "cour"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was never a big fan of the Daily Show or any of those comedy news shows like Colbert or Oliver. But I decided to watch the first episode of the new Jon Stewart show after hearing what the subject is because I myself suffered for nearly eight years with helping my dad navigate the bullshit of the VA. His battle was about Agent Orange which is recognized by the VA so I can't imagine what people who have problems not recognized by them have to go through. Overall I think it was actually really good and thankfully not overloaded with comedy. It was pretty much just exposing the issue for an audience that may not understand just how difficult it is and interviewing people affected. I have a feeling people going in hoping for a Daily Show repeat are going to be disappointed because this seems to be a much more serious show. I'll be interested to see what other subjects he dives into like this.