Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/history-of-the-world-part-ii-series-hulu-mel-brooks-nick-kroll-wanda-sykes-1235091840/

quote:

Brooks is a writer and executive producer on the series along with Nick Kroll, Wanda Sykes, Ike Barinholtz, David Stassen and Kevin Salter. There is no word yet on which world events the series will cover. Hulu has ordered eight episodes of the show. The writers room is beginning in October with production slated to begin in Spring 2022. Searchlight Television and 20th Television will produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Not news I expected to hear in 2021.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I think one of the final sins of "Y: The Last Man" is it wasn't visually interesting, like at all.

Just bland discussion shots in the same few sets with a few woods locations thrown in. Nothing is really giving a sense of scale of distance and the setting rarely conveys any sort of emotional state.

I don't feel this, the Pentagon set is great, and there's been distinctive lighting and locations. It's a far nicer looking show than most things on television tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just checked for myself and yep I literally only watch Bob’s and The Great North from networks. I think B99 was the last other holdout, since Evil moved to whatever CBS All Access is called now and Stumptown got unrenewed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Finally we are getting Jews in Space.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Azhais posted:

That's cause the entire first season is like issues 1-3 of the comic

Were they just assuming it would be TWD level must see TV and get an easy 10+ season? That's dumb as hell

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay: y'all are watching Chucky, right? It's a little rough, but it's fun as gently caress, and it's playing with a lot of horror stuff that I like.

And I have the best taste so if you don't like it you don't. That's science. :colbert:

Azhais posted:

That's cause the entire first season is like issues 1-3 of the comic

Nah. They've very clearly adapting material from the first 12 issues or so. The only thing they're skipping is all the Middle East subplots, because ~*political.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 19, 2021

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey quick question, in the new season of You do some scenes with Love have a weird blurring around the bottom of the screen? I've only noticed it in her scenes. Am I going crazy?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. I think it’s some weird dramatic depth of field/focus thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grem posted:

Hey quick question, in the new season of You do some scenes with Love have a weird blurring around the bottom of the screen? I've only noticed it in her scenes. Am I going crazy?

It's loving constant. That and the soft fish eye lensing, which is really, really noticeable in the first episode particularly. Those pans of Sherry's house were hard to watch.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the thread title. The music of Over the Garden Wall is really good.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1450046640115486721

Have seen a few reviews for the new season of Locke & Key, sounds like it'll be pretty decent. I love the comics but thought the first season was only ok. Mostly good cast except for the antagonists, who were pretty bland.

The trailer looks great and I see that Kevin Durand is in the second season, so already off to a good start!

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Joe in Season 3 of You is doing more and more of a Dennis from Always Sunny impression and I'm here for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really think Netflix may pull Cowboy Bebop off.

https://youtu.be/_JDWm1f6-M0

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDWm1f6-M0
Holy. loving. poo poo.
YES.

EDIT: I really hope the full show is edited/directed by whoever put that teaser together because it needs to be that stylish to work.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 19, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lots of the original production people are involved with Cowboy Bebop, like the original writing group is involved and has said in interviews that they want to write scripts for future seasons so I am ultra hyped. It's got the tone and style down from the few things we've already seen and I cannot loving wait. Pretty much :aaaaa: all over

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

ok I guess I do have to watch this

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, Bebop looks fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a really really good trailer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know the whole show won’t look like that but MAN I want the whole show to look like that so bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh man that's so excited, would be so jazzed if the show is anything like that

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
That would be super exhausting if they did the entire show like don't they know how old I am??? :corsair:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beating a man to death with a stylistic framing element

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Beating a man to death with a stylistic framing element

You can't hit me with that, it's non-diagetic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn't even finish that trailer. You people are loving with me right. That looks like total loving garbage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Supposedly Y: The Last Man is gonna be picked up for season 2 by HBO Max.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gaius Marius posted:

I couldn't even finish that trailer. You people are loving with me right. That looks like total loving garbage.

they're nerds op, ur still gonna watch it though

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think it's weird just how glowing the comments are. I mean I doubt the actual show is going to look like this either way?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gaius Marius posted:

It looks good op

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bull3964 posted:

I really have a problem with how much someone in this production loves Tarantino. He may wish to file a restraining order soon.

Other than that, I actually think execution from this is probably fine but doing something like this to an anime is inherently weird because anime cosplay has long existed and has long been seen as kind of, for lack of a better term, ungraceful. I dunno, even though nerds at Comic-Con dress as Superman and Darth Vader, doing a whole show about a guy in Mandalorian armor or a live action Superman seems less weird than doing the same twist to the ol' Japanimation.

It's like society has always seen trying to dress like a comic book or sci-fi movie villain as acceptable in certain contexts, but trying to mimic the look of a cartoon character has always been sort of weird unless you work at Disneyland, and this production forces you to compare actual acting talents to various Instagrammers you have seen over the years.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 19, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/why-was-y-the-last-man-canceled-1235033351/

quote:

Ultimately, FX brass declined to pay $3 million to further extend options on the Y cast as execs did not want to leave the cast in limbo yet again. The cancellation decision was, per sources, not based on viewership figures as Hulu, like other streamers, does not release traditional ratings data. That means FX had little to no data on which to evaluate the series, including how it performed in its entirety over a certain timeframe, etc. While sources note there had been a drop-off among viewers on the FX on Hulu hub, it's worth pointing out that mid-series declines are not uncommon as viewers have shifted to binge watching entire seasons of a show.

"Without COVID, the show would have been on a different clock," notes one source of the timing of the cancellation decision.

Just a whole bunch of horrible things coming up one after another killed the show. crazy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my brain started leaking after 30 seconds watching that trailer but i don't think im the target audience

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Also props to whoever put the 80s Nintendo Power magazine logo on the marquee of the old timey western corral computer store.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I had never heard of options on actors before. Am I correct in saying that you are essentially paying for the rights to use an actor during a certain period…but you’re not paying them directly? Who are you paying then, their agent? Wouldn’t it be simpler to pay them even if they are not working (insert late capitalist mouth foaming). This sounds asinine.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I had never heard of options on actors before. Am I correct in saying that you are essentially paying for the rights to use an actor during a certain period…but you’re not paying them directly? Who are you paying then, their agent? Wouldn’t it be simpler to pay them even if they are not working (insert late capitalist mouth foaming). This sounds asinine.

No, the actors are getting paid and the agents get their 10% out of that

For TV, the studio wants to make sure they have the actors for as long as the script calls for them, so they set a deal where for year one, the lead gets $1m, then year two, they get $1.5m and so on for however many years and however many principals. No matter how many scenes they’re actually in, they’re held to that contract and can’t go shoot something with a conflicting schedule until they’re released. Because the schedule is yearly and escalates, and due to the delays, FX has paid out two years already and had no idea if paying out a third year would have been worth it because only a handful of episodes have aired so far. Selling the show to another studio lets them recoup their investment and releases them from risk of ballooning cast contracts in the face of a potentially unpopular show. $3m for cast options sounds very low to my production budget brain, but either way, HBO Max or whomever can renegotiate the options based on their risk analysis.

Side note: options contracts are what are currently loving up working conditions on set and why IATSE threatened to strike. Because bigger actors are limited to working on other jobs outside of their contractual obligations, agents negotiate shorter windows for other jobs, so you end up with ridiculous poo poo like a job having to shoot 45 script pages with x actor in four weeks because they have to go back to their optioned job in a month. Because that deadline is so strict, you either have to cut script or shoot 16 hour days to do it.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 19, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

quote:

“I say sometimes that showrunning is basically just laying your body over the show and trying to protect it as you take 10,000 swords into your back,” Judkins told me wearily one day over the phone. He said he'd had his assistant keep track of how many suggestions Amazon had had, just for the pilot. In the end “we got 11,000 notes,” Judkins said. Actual number. “Even if I only do like a 10th of those, that's still like multiple notes per second,” he said. Executives had questions about individual shots and how the show was depicting magic. They had questions about style and tone. And they were friendly questions, but they were also infinite, and every time Judkins got one—usually while he was on some faraway set full of new and different problems to solve—he had to consider whether it was worth doing or whether to dig in. “It's very hard to take your little precious kernel of an idea and deliver it at the end of the production-and-notes process,” he said.

DYING.

11,000 thousand notes just on the pilot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dorium posted:

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

DYING.

11,000 thousand notes just on the pilot.

Could the Dragon Reborn have an insta account?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

Could the Dragon Reborn have an insta account?

Could the Winespring Inn sell Guinness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, the actors are getting paid and the agents get their 10% out of that

For TV, the studio wants to make sure they have the actors for as long as the script calls for them, so they set a deal where for year one, the lead gets $1m, then year two, they get $1.5m and so on for however many years and however many principals. No matter how many scenes they’re actually in, they’re held to that contract and can’t go shoot something with a conflicting schedule until they’re released. Because the schedule is yearly and escalates, and due to the delays, FX has paid out two years already and had no idea if paying out a third year would have been worth it because only a handful of episodes have aired so far. Selling the show to another studio lets them recoup their investment and releases them from risk of ballooning cast contracts in the face of a potentially unpopular show. $3m for cast options sounds very low to my production budget brain, but either way, HBO Max or whomever can renegotiate the options based on their risk analysis.

Side note: options contracts are what are currently loving up working conditions on set and why IATSE threatened to strike. Because bigger actors are limited to working on other jobs outside of their contractual obligations, agents negotiate shorter windows for other jobs, so you end up with ridiculous poo poo like a job having to shoot 45 script pages with x actor in four weeks because they have to go back to their optioned job in a month. Because that deadline is so strict, you either have to cut script or shoot 16 hour days to do it.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation!