Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

So, did they already have stuff taped with Unknown Hinson? I wouldn't have thought he'd be on Squidbillies again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fact that they censor his voice makes me think they're going to do a stunt recasting.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The fact that they censor his voice makes me think they're going to do a stunt recasting.

https://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/trailer-squidbillies-returns-for-final-season-nov-7/

its some kind of open casting call by the sounds of it. though honestly it would be hilarious if they just have dave willis revoice him as carl brutananadilewski

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Argue posted:

I would say Chuck benefitted from always being on the bubble because it was kind of interesting seeing them do a series finale every half season and essentially adopt the saying "three steps forward, two steps back" into a TV show. It definitely felt like the characters made development that they wouldn't have otherwise had they not thought it was the finale. One of the more prominent writers is now co-showrunner on Legends of Tomorrow, and I can definitely feel the DNA. Anyway, it's a fun show in the vein of Legends and I liked it to the end, with season 4 probably being the low point mostly because of a lot of unremarkable episodes. But it does the heartwarming stuff really well and is one of my favorite shows for good feels.

The whole show does feel a bit tainted now, though, because of the presence of Adam Baldwin, who incredibly in real life is actually a MORE exaggerated version of his Republican character on Chuck and is all around terrible.

I think the problem is that the constant finales/restarts means they backup and redo a lot of the same character development beats a bunch of times, in particular Chuck/Sarah and Chuck finding his place. That can start to feel like a cycle.

But on the whole I think it works and keeps the show with focused plots and a regular sense of actual weight and development. I understand the comparisons to Psycho but that's a much looser show aside from Shawn/Juliet. But its definitely got the same heartwarming character and cast charm.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dopesick is pretty dope. Michael Keaton plays a doctor addicted to Oxycontin and Michael Stuhlbarg plays the oval office that manufactures it and is trying to sell it around the world.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Dopesick is pretty dope. Michael Keaton plays a doctor addicted to Oxycontin and Michael Stuhlbarg plays the oval office that manufactures it and is trying to sell it around the world.

Does it end with Stuhlbarg getting little more than a slap on the wrist with a side of blanket immunity from further lawsuits?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show is supposed to end in 2007 or something so I imagine it's going to be an unsatisfactory ending.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I don't know if I'll make it through all 8 seasons, but so far it hasn't stopped being amazing how just shameless they are in this approach. I once read a fanfiction about a version of Harry Potter who grew up with good parents who were empathetic and logical smartypants who raised a pretunaturally smart Harry Potter who is way into critical thinking and by the end of the book he's revolutionized the entire world and reinvents magic and everyone claps because he solved poverty and healthcare and even that version of OP fanfic harry potter was more reserved in their relative smartinpantsness, Hermione was basically still smarter. Here Spader is like "the fbi works for me now" after one interaction with them but he's not even kidding, they essentially are at his beck and call. It's like he personally was playing a game of calvinball with the writers, whatever script they write, he reads it, then shows up exactly ready to counter every part of it and make it go his own way, no matter how implausible and then the writers have to play catch up and just work around that, try to get him next time. But they never will, he's the one in control, the writers work for him now.

I'm also assuming he will have a moriarty to foil him at some point and I look forward to seeing spader give a smug "heh its all going according to my plan" speech only for his moriarty to be doing the exact same thing a moment later.

I keep popping in and out of Blacklist discussions online and it's just plain bizarre how that show becomes. Some plots have almost Hostel/Human Centipede levels of cruelty to their characters (case in point) whereas everything else is just a horrible convoluted mystery that goes absolutely nowhere. Even the Blacklist subreddit is nothing more than endless screaming. And yet this show keeps going, it's insane.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Any mega thread where succession discussion is happening?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I keep popping in and out of Blacklist discussions online and it's just plain bizarre how that show becomes. Some plots have almost Hostel/Human Centipede levels of cruelty to their characters (case in point) whereas everything else is just a horrible convoluted mystery that goes absolutely nowhere. Even the Blacklist subreddit is nothing more than endless screaming. And yet this show keeps going, it's insane.

wait, good lord, this show is still going on? lmao i thought i was hoping into an ancient show that was already over. actually hadn't watch any more since last discussion about it, but haha that tickles me it's still around and kickin. The show started at a 10 for absurdity, I gotta see where this train goes.

Speaking of absurdity, anyone watch You season 3? Nearly finished with it now and geez I hope this is the end. Basically every beat of this season has just been unbelievable. It also sounds weird, I swear the monologue has a very different tone or maybe different guy altogether. Plotwise it's just too much, even before any killing stuff goes down. New parents raising baby, messy marriage, and also running a new business by themselves. They find time to raise kid, get into weird marriage counseling or sex scenarios, and run this bakery with no employees, where also they have their like, prison basement set up, plus plenty of time to do murders and cover ups that apparently work just fine w police. Waiting for all this to come crumbling down on them, haven't looked up a season 4 or not because it'll spoil, but desperately hoping joe finally loving dies.

welp lol, that all really worked out for joe and those not murdered and after the credits start netflix says "yep, confirmed another season coming." I'm not surprised he found a way to ditch the kid, they pretty much barely bothered with him as it was. i guess i am at least glad the weird couple got out of the torture basement. cracked me up when he showed up in paris still looking for marienne, hmm yeah okay buddy sure you just didn't want to vacation there? i forgot too, where does he get all this money? how did he swing getting his money from accounts after his murder?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 21, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I can't find the ITYSL thread

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1450517999413338113

Kanye doesn't want to be around anymore. He's got too much stuff on.

I Think You Should Leave really is a documentary.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Any mega thread where succession discussion is happening?

There sure is! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982116

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the double post, but has anyone watched/could anyone offer their opinions on a couple of Starz shows: the Blindspotting adaptation and Run the World? Thanks in advance!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is Raised by Wolves any good? Just saw the trailer for it while queuing up Dune and it looks like it would be up my alley.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's polarizing. It kinda goes off the rails at the end of the first season, but I enjoyed myself and am ready for more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

swickles posted:

Is Raised by Wolves any good? Just saw the trailer for it while queuing up Dune and it looks like it would be up my alley.

It's a trip. I think someone in the thread described it as "A Syfy show but with an actual budget" and that seems to sum it up pretty well imo. The last 30 mins of the finale is when the crazy train flies off the rails and it's loving amazing.

I don't know if I would say that I like it, but I am intrigued to see where this is going.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

swickles posted:

I love the weirdness in the beginning and end of the season, but I do feel it gets bogged down in dumb character drama in the middle.
If you're okay with some blandness in the middle and can power through, it's still worth it to see such a unique show. The opening credit sequence is absolutely top-notch, too, never skipped it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Cool might start that tonight then. Also, Dune looks beautiful so far, but can't suspend my disbelief that Timothy Chalatmee could knock down Brolin even in a sparring match.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Something holtzman shield

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

swickles posted:

Cool might start that tonight then. Also, Dune looks beautiful so far, but can't suspend my disbelief that Timothy Chalatmee could knock down Brolin even in a sparring match.

What your suspension of disbelief is failing to take into account is that Chalomet is playing a royal, who’s family literally owns entire planets, while Brolin is just a retainer.
:shrug:

That’s my thought, anyways! :v:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I would die for those milky robots on Raised By Wolves.

Ridley Scott went fully over the top with regards to his love of androids on that show. It drags a little at times, but the ending of season one is totally worth it. It’s one of the most bonkers things i’ve ever seen on TV; no hyperbole.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The humans are kinda boring but I would die for our milky bronze T-pose screaming naked death queen and her adorable dork husband.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorry for the double post, but has anyone watched/could anyone offer their opinions on a couple of Starz shows: the Blindspotting adaptation and Run the World? Thanks in advance!

Only seen a few eps of Blindspotting so far, but it's good. Not seen the film tho.

There's been a massive glut in television this past month or two, it's been insane. I assume it's the corona bottleneck finally opening up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, Alec Baldwin accidentally Brandon Lee'd someone on the set of a movie he's making

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arist posted:

Holy poo poo, Alec Baldwin accidentally Brandon Lee'd someone on the set of a movie he's making

Just read that. loving tragic all around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The director of photography. It also apparently hit the director too, but the DP was the only fatality.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

What’s the difference between a prop gun and a real gun? I don’t understand how it happens

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What’s the difference between a prop gun and a real gun? I don’t understand how it happens
Best thread I've seen:
https://mobile.twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1451341915119628290
https://mobile.twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1451342975133536257

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Prop guns fall into a couple categories:
-resin: basically when a gun is in a holster and stays there or a bg is carrying it decently far from camera, they'll use a resin aka "rubber" gun
-solid plug: a gun with a plug in the barrel to prevent anything from coming out. This is for principals/stunts to wield when you want to see the gun in close up and it doesn't fire. It can fire and cycle the chamber without ammo, but there's no recoil nor smoke. A lot of network tv will use solid plugs for firing weapons because it's cheaper, easier, and safer.
-blank gun: basically a real gun with slight modification to fire blanks. Blank ammo has the actual bullet removed and the ends of the shells are crimped. The hemmed will strike the ammo, which will generate a good amount of recoil and smoke (generally a quarter load of gunpowder or a half if you're really fancy and not in a major city). These are treated as real guns with real gun rules because the casings can splinter or other debris can get lodged in the barrel and the real gunpowder will turn that shrapnel into a functional bullet, which is what happened to Brandon Lee.

What is supposed to happen is the first AD, and by extension, all the ADs and PAs on set, is required to call out what kind of gun is being used for that particular shot or rehearsal so that everyone knows what safety precautions to take. There is absolutely no reason to give an actor a firing blank gun (and loaded!) for rehearsal. If the actor wants to test out the firing of the blank gun, they would do it in a special (and called out!) test fire under the auspices of the stunt coordinator, armorer/propmaster, first assistant director, and the local cops if they're not too busy scarfing crafty, these same personnel are also on deck when any firing blank gun is used for a shot.

My guess is that an assistant prop/armorer handed the principal the blank gun instead of the solid plug for rehearsal (they would necessarily look and feel identical to nearly everyone) and they were sloppy with their protocols because it's a movie where everyone has guns all the time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tommy's 100% right in that most people firing these guns are stunties or specialty bg (I worked on a few jobs where the fire team supervisor and all his people are all ex cop/military, which is great), but you definitely have to worry about random dayplayer #7 who has been riding a desk for the whole season but now has to wield an automatic weapon. Props/armor often have way too many people to wrangle for how potentially deadly blank guns are. For how miserable Punisher was to shoot, the stunts/ADs were very good about firearm and general stunt safety.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

To summarize: Contrary to movie logic blanks are very deadly in real life.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They're mostly fine is the insidious part. Prior to The Crow, actors were pointing blank guns at each other all the time, it's just the <1% chance that some fragments or detritus in the barrel ruin your whole life

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Also holy poo poo, it was the DP and director. If they were on set and close enough to Baldwin that he shot them, it was most certainly a rehearsal and a major major fuckup by the armorer/propmaster/stunt coordinator. My personal take on it is that he thought it was a solid plug and practiced pulling the trigger. I hope he wasn't just joking around with it because holy poo poo I can see that happening. I really hope that nobody demanded that he use the real loaded gun for the rehearsal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New show from the CXG creators! Bloom plays dual roles! One of them is a former spy!

https://www.avclub.com/crazy-ex-girlfriends-rachel-bloom-and-aline-brosh-mcken-1847913542

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
jfc

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1451539334142779396?s=20

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Tommy's 100% right in that most people firing these guns are stunties or specialty bg (I worked on a few jobs where the fire team supervisor and all his people are all ex cop/military, which is great), but you definitely have to worry about random dayplayer #7 who has been riding a desk for the whole season but now has to wield an automatic weapon. Props/armor often have way too many people to wrangle for how potentially deadly blank guns are. For how miserable Punisher was to shoot, the stunts/ADs were very good about firearm and general stunt safety.
I forget that we have people who know and do things on the forums :) Thank you!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I dunno, seems like the IATSE local is getting way over their skis there. Honest question, how would they know there was a real bullet in the gun?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I dunno, seems like the IATSE local is getting way over their skis there. Honest question, how would they know there was a real bullet in the gun?

Why were real bullets anywhere on the set at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I understand wanting recoil on things for blanks, but with post effects for flash and smoke, it feels like the industry should just work on ways to stimulate recoil with haptics and ban all use of anything that can fire a projectile on set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

89407G966EHLO389EO
Apr 27, 2005

TOP DOG

Spalec posted:

Why were real bullets anywhere on the set at all?

Do you have any idea how hard it is to deliver a convincing performance with blanks that can already simulate recoil? Like having sex with a condom. Amateurs...