Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah I jumped from the show during the 3rd season. Got tired of the same recycling of plots just to generate the same drama. Does the King like Uthred? What will happen

noob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'm gonna come right out and say it, I haven't seen a hallway fight scene that I didn't like

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Google Butt posted:

I'm gonna come right out and say it, I haven't seen a hallway fight scene that I didn't like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oHQ6ssROA8

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYsVqpiEa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2M5ObsKw4Y

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 28, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey5JYMbI64I

Best crossover marketing I've ever seen

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wow. I hope he crosses over with all my favorite cozy, boring YouTubers. Him learning how to restore a painting on Baumgartner Restorations would just be so pleasant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just learned that Stephen Merchant not only has a new show, but he has a new show with Christopher Walken in it.

It’s called The Outlaws and is on BBC One in the UK, where the first two episodes are on iPlayer, and Prime in the US, where the first episode might be up now I’m not sure

quote:

The story follows seven strangers from different walks of life forced together to complete a Community Payback sentence in Bristol. However, their luck changes when they discover a bag full of money, unaware that some dangerous people are looking for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat I read part of the description previously and assumed it was a reality type thing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Any recommendations for casually watchable detective stories on Netflix or Disney Plus?

Longform or procedural episodic, don't really care. Just don't want it to be utter trash (CSI: Whatever) or too much hard work (one of those really quiet danish dramas in the woods).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

VagueRant posted:

Any recommendations for casually watchable detective stories on Netflix or Disney Plus?

Longform or procedural episodic, don't really care. Just don't want it to be utter trash (CSI: Whatever) or too much hard work (one of those really quiet danish dramas in the woods).

Is "mystery" fine as opposed to purely detective? I'm a fan of Netflix's Harlan Coben adaptations. The most recent one is literally danish in the woods I think and I haven't watched it because as you said it's too much hard work, but the other ones were fun.

The Five and The Stranger are each standalone mystery miniseries, and I think there's another one

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Longmire
Hap and Leonard
Broadchurch

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

VagueRant posted:

So, we're a straining at genre (and arguably at utter trash) but:
  • iZombie shares creators and a lot of sensibilities with Veronica Mars, and is the story of a braineating medical examiner who solves murders with her detective friend. Great lead, greater supporting cast, procedural af but also not what most people would immediately think of as a detective show.
  • Scandal, especially early, is a procedural show and about a group of fixers, lawyers, and Huck who needs to figure out who is lying (this week's client? Client's enemy? The president of the United States? Our protagonist?), why, and how to balance this with the broader plot and the need to have sneaky, passionate, secret sex. It's not a detective story but it scratches those same itches for me and anything it lacks in detectiveness it makes up for in overarching political conspiracy (it often has a real Alias energy) and shameless soapy plot twists (....also a real Alias energy but like, in a less positive way).
  • The arrowverse is at the very fringes of what we could even pretend counts, but does contain Jesse L Martin. "Detective" is a sub, sub genre at best. But there sure is a lot of episodes and they're generally schlocky fun

For procedurals (which are a background comfort food for me), I've found Hulu and HBOMax better, for what it's worth. Just figured I'd offer up some "close but not quite"s you're unlikely to hear from others.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not what you asked for, but Only Murders in the Building on Hulu is great if you do a free trial sometime.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Why was Punisher miserable to shoot?

Once chatted with a location scout or whatever for the Marvel netfliz shows and she talked about how hard it was to find new places to shoot in NYC and how constant the need was

Mostly the hours and script needs wrt day and night scenes. The first season was a lot of exterior night waterfront/rooftop/abandoned warehouse, just inhospitable locations in bad weather. The second season was all of that plus “Georgia” woods, so schlepping upstate in rush hour traffic to go shoot til the sun came up. All of the departments were pretty hamstrung budget and personnel-wise and I remember the assistant directors being really shouty. Also, the episodes weren’t block shot, so you’d have to shoot all of your scenes within 9 or 10 days, all but guaranteeing a 7am crew call on Monday and a 5pm crew call by Friday. This was a big negotiation point for IATSE. When you’re scheduled like that and shooting upstate all the time, you’d frequently get home at 9 or 10am on Saturday. You’ve also built up a huge sleep deficit, so it was very easy to wake up in the middle of the night on Saturday and then try to get back to sleep by 8 or 9pm on Sunday to wake up at 4 or 5am on Monday. You don’t get to see friends or family on that schedule. The schedule was also pretty tight for how long episodes were and how much action they contained, so days were never below 12.5 hours. Network jobs shoot 8 or 9 days per episode, but those are only 42 minutes and usually have much more dialog-heavy stage days.

Also, Netflix Marvel jobs were scheduled for 5ish months and crews would flip flop between either Punisher and Luke Cage, Daredevil/Iron Fist, or Jessica Jones/Defenders. There would be a couple weeks between jobs (depending on how much you needed to prep) and two weeks at the winter holidays and that was your life for years.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Did the crews have access to Wild Turkey and was that an official promotion? I thought "the drink of choice for dangerous lone gunmen" was an odd take but there was a new Russell at the helm and Hunter S Thompson had fallen into relative obscurity so his cache had been basically spent so a new approach made sense. Mass shootings weren't the phenomenon they are now and most of America was still insane from 9/11 so going with a powerful image makes some sense.

I always wondered about that, so I figured I'd ask.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hmmmm, I can’t remember what the clearances were like for that. While we didn’t have Wild Turkey at crafty, those were the only jobs I worked on where they dumped Red Bulls in the coolers. Everyone was tweaking out of their minds.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Not what you asked for, but Only Murders in the Building on Hulu is great if you do a free trial sometime.

And if you do, please watch Elementary which is exactly what you want and fantastic.

Also, it’s HBO but Nancy drew is fantastic and I can’t believe more people aren’t talking about it here.

I’m halfway through season 1 and loving it. It’s not like amazing, but fun ghost/mystery show.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Are they going to keep the timeline as it is in the original Cowboy Bebop series? It's not like they have other authoritative source material to draw from.

On the other hand it's not like the series is going for a realistic portrayal in the first place but the thing taking place in the 2070's feels weird in 2021. Also the Hyperspace Gate? disaster thing apparently took place in 2022. :stonklol:

I feel old.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I need some help. There's a joke I remember that I'm like 70% sure is from a TV show, but might be from a podcast or a movie or a tweet. I can't remember the exact wording, but basically two cops are discussing a case and one says "We need to see the autopsy results. Let's head to the morgue" and the other cop says "I hate going to the morgue. Every time we go there the coroner is eating a sandwich next to a dead body to show how blase he is about death"

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I need some help. There's a joke I remember that I'm like 70% sure is from a TV show, but might be from a podcast or a movie or a tweet. I can't remember the exact wording, but basically two cops are discussing a case and one says "We need to see the autopsy results. Let's head to the morgue" and the other cop says "I hate going to the morgue. Every time we go there the coroner is eating a sandwich next to a dead body to show how blase he is about death"

It almost sounds like something off of Pushing Daisies. But that’s probably wrong.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gripweed posted:

https://youtu.be/GjcI-i9BH7Q?t=28m30s

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 29, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I started watching Cheers this week, and I get why it was so big; it's a very comfy show with funny actors. Coming from The Good Place, it's weird seeing Sam's actor be like, young though. He looks so good and natural in his old age that it legitimately threw me off.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If it helps, he has more hair now than then. (remembering him appearing on Magnum PI sans toupee, good for him)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's funny how he made over 100 episodes of some other comedy called Becker and nobody cares about that one at all. All that time spent filming and learning lines for what.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

money

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Becker sucked, but it was better than 90% of the other sitcoms on at the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But he was already loaded. Couldn't he pick like any project he wanted.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Steady work as a lead can be more attractive than pounding the pavement for bigger roles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like dude has never not been working, and still gets high profile things all the time. There is never a situation where it's bad to have "Lead on a sitcom for 6 years" on your resume unless it makes you miserable. Doesn't matter if it's forget, you can make bank on "I got asses in chairs for more than half a decade multiple times".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I don’t know the answer to this but I hope we find out cos that’s an awesome line

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t know the answer to this but I hope we find out cos that’s an awesome line

There was a link posted 2mins after the question was asked.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

There was a link posted 2mins after the question was asked.

Well maybe people should make it clearer when they’re replying to things!!!! Anyway Mock the Week is pure poo poo so that’s my interest gone

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Blue Labrador posted:

I started watching Cheers this week, and I get why it was so big; it's a very comfy show with funny actors. Coming from The Good Place, it's weird seeing Sam's actor be like, young though. He looks so good and natural in his old age that it legitimately threw me off.

I'm watching Cheers for the first time ever too. Woody Harrelson is fantastic when he comes along, I heard he was in the show but I presumed he would just look like modern Woody Harrelson, it's wild to see him play so hilarious. Frasier is great as well as a rough version of himself than in the spinoff.

I know it was fairly progressive for the time, but there's lots of dated stuff. Theres an episode based around two gay people being in the bar and the regulars split over if they should be allowed to stay or not. There's also a lot of weird jokes about Sam or Fraiser wanting to kill Diane like nearly every episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s me. I’m the guy who’s still watching The Blacklist, 9 seasons in.

Major character spoiler: Elizabeth Keen was very much shot dead at the end of last season, and as such, being dead and all, won’t be returning to the show. Half the conceit of the show is now gone, though Spader as Reddington is basically all anyone should need to keep watching.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gonz posted:

Major character spoiler: Elizabeth Keen was very much shot dead at the end of last season, and as such, being dead and all, won’t be returning to the show. Half the conceit of the show is now gone, though Spader as Reddington is basically all anyone should need to keep watching.

I'd still be watching if they just left her dead the first time. the two episodes after that were some of the most godawful episodes of TV I've watched and knowing she was just going to pop back up at the end was the final nail.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

To say nothing about how they managed to write themselves into a corner with the whole "James Spader is not the real Raymond Reddington" revelation. The creator clearly wanted to reveal that Spader is actually Keen's mother having undergone plastic and gender reassignment surgery and Keen's death scene seems to all but directly say it but I'm guessing that proved a bridge too far for NBC (unlike stuff like that Human Centipede-eque abortion episode) and now that said creator left the show, they will probably just drop it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 29, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Escobarbarian posted:

Well maybe people should make it clearer when they’re replying to things!!!! Anyway Mock the Week is pure poo poo so that’s my interest gone

Fixed :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AceOfFlames posted:

To say nothing about how they managed to write themselves into a corner with the whole "James Spader is not the real Raymond Reddington" revelation. The creator clearly wanted to reveal that Spader is actually Keen's mother having undergone plastic and gender reassignment surgery and Keen's death scene seems to all but directly say it but I'm guessing that proved a bridge too far for NBC (unlike stuff like that Human Centipede-eque abortion episode) and now that said creator left the show, they will probably just drop it.

I feel like in season 1 or 2 they definitely tested Red's DNA against Keen's dad and said it was not a match, I would hope the FBI was also competent enough to notice a lack of XY chromosomes at the same time but I guess they have probably retconned enough of that show already.

Edit: lol nevermind I just googled this and found the like half dozen different times they mentioned DNA tests on the show and now I can't tell whether they ever actually did with James Spader's character

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blue Labrador posted:

I think it was also a kind of proto-Twitch service: if you didn’t have the time or energy to go to a bar and be social, you could always turn on Cheers and get a surrogate experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the contemporary concern and drama over sam and diane's will they/won't they was absolutely rabid, people were very invested in the characters of cheers.