Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Paramount+ going to have a single new show that isn’t a reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Paramount+ going to have a single new show that isn’t a reboot
Not really seeing much that isn't a reboot or a spinoff

Gotta chase that Disney+ money somehow!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not really sure how I feel about this animation style they chose

I can't fathom you preferring the original. One of the most hideous shows of all time.

That Reptar movie looks dope, though. Get those babies out of the way and let me watch it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hughmoris posted:

How does that show hold up? It's one of the few extremely popular shows that I never watched an episode of.

There's one aspect in particular that I consider a gold nugget of the show. In most odd-couple shows I'm left wondering "why are these people together" and it's contrived stuff like contractually-obligated roommates or folks with nothing in common except for red-hot lust. Frasier is a whole bunch of conflicts between lowbrow and highbrow but the people involved care about each other. Martin doesn't have a clue what Frasier and Niles are talking about but he wants to because he loves his kids, and they do the same to him. There are episodes where some point of interest is discounted as worthless but it's clearly the character making that judgement rather than the show, usually being portrayed as ignorant for doing so. And again that's both directions; the class divide is played for comic effect but not as one side of it being "right".

It's family caring about each other even when they don't care about the things the others do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

feedmyleg posted:

I can't fathom you preferring the original. One of the most hideous shows of all time.

That Reptar movie looks dope, though. Get those babies out of the way and let me watch it.
I mean the animation kind of fit the show back then? I'm just personally not a huge fan of the 'putting 2D characters into a 3D space' thing generally.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean the animation kind of fit the show back then? I'm just personally not a huge fan of the 'putting 2D characters into a 3D space' thing generally.

Even if someone hated the art style, at least it was an art style. That was some really bland design and cheap cgi animation, and that's a crappy thing to do to any show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You underestimate how much I hate the art style

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Awkward situation with the live action series still going forward without the creators

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Absolutely salivating at all those "Friends/Seinfeld in the modern day" shitposts coming alive with this.

Frasier in 2022 would absolutely be in a podcast. Setup should be that he's done with practicing for good and him and Roz reunite when some offbrand Spotify offers an insane amount if they restart the old radio show as a podcast. Now they must tame a wild new beast in the podcast world as they deal with inappropriate sponsors, problems Frasier can't understand, forced crossovers with the podcast network, and, idk, FGC Niles.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Every Paramount+ headline I've read today sounds like it was generated by an AI.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

MorningMoon posted:

Absolutely salivating at all those "Friends/Seinfeld in the modern day" shitposts coming alive with this.

Frasier in 2022 would absolutely be in a podcast. Setup should be that he's done with practicing for good and him and Roz reunite when some offbrand Spotify offers an insane amount if they restart the old radio show as a podcast. Now they must tame a wild new beast in the podcast world as they deal with inappropriate sponsors, problems Frasier can't understand, forced crossovers with the podcast network, and, idk, FGC Niles.

Niles' son will come out as nonbinary, and a recurring joke will be that their preferred pronoun changes on an almost daily basis and Frasier keeps getting it wrong

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Paramount sticking the streaming for conservatives vibe I see.

Makes Heathers look more and more like an anomalie it seems.

Heathers was so good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn’t Frasier know that we already have an advice show for the modren era

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

FoneBone posted:

hurray Recognizable Brands

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1364700371126517769

to be fair a Parallax View show could be interesting, but it doesn't even have writers attached

Anyone else got any old perfectly-told-in-2-hours film they'd like turned into a needlessly long and drawn out 'prestige' TV series? Ferris Bueller's Day Off? They Live? After Hours? How about Trading Places, we could end the hour long pilot with Billy Ray bumping into Louis for the first time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Parallax View as a series is a wild notion but it could work. It's one of my favorite movies ever, in fact that whole Pakula trilogy holds spots in my Top 10. If they can translate that vibe to a TV show I'll be very happy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sentinel Red posted:

Anyone else got any old perfectly-told-in-2-hours film they'd like turned into a needlessly long and drawn out 'prestige' TV series? Ferris Bueller's Day Off? They Live? After Hours? How about Trading Places, we could end the hour long pilot with Billy Ray bumping into Louis for the first time.

Naked Gun, get that recursion going

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I noticed from their announcement.

quote:

No Activity – a half-hour police comedy, starring Patrick Brammall and Tim Meadows, which was previously a live-action series, will be completely animated for season four.

Is that due to covid or cost cutting?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

X-O posted:

Parallax View as a series is a wild notion but it could work. It's one of my favorite movies ever, in fact that whole Pakula trilogy holds spots in my Top 10. If they can translate that vibe to a TV show I'll be very happy.

Watched the film for the first time the other night. A lot sillier than expected, but I quite like how it wrapped up and the whole thing screamed ‘try not to think too hard about this’. A series could be interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Ferris Bueller already had 2 TV shows.

Azhais posted:

Naked Gun, get that recursion going

Naked Gun already had 2 TV shows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sentinel Red posted:

I could totally see some network trying to turn Trading Places in a dramatic TV show

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sentinel Red posted:

Davros1 posted:

I could totally see some network trying to turn Trading Places in a dramatic TV show

Those men wanted to have SEX with me!

Instead of oranges they could center it around GME stocks.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 25, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

One thing I noticed from their announcement.

Is that due to covid or cost cutting?

The only set is a car, that can't possibly cost more than animation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah unless the episodes are just static images with voiceover I can't imagine how it'd be cheaper to animate. It has to either be precaution due to covid or some kind of stylistic choice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fewer Covid filming restrictions in animation is my guess. Filming in the pandemic is very expensive.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Speaking of No Activity, Tim Meadows is the second guest on Hangin' With Doctor Z, my new favorite show

https://youtu.be/ORV_tWGZwsM

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
We’re getting closer to that Onion headline about “Gattaca: The Series”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started watching The Knick finally thanks to the posts in here and Sepinwall’s interview with Soderbergh. I knew it was gonna be gruesome and all but jesus fuckin CHRIST hahah

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Escobarbarian posted:

Started watching The Knick finally thanks to the posts in here and Sepinwall’s interview with Soderbergh. I knew it was gonna be gruesome and all but jesus fuckin CHRIST hahah

Surgery 110 years ago was ~A Thing.~

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What's crazy is there are still people alive now that were alive then. I mean, holy poo poo think of the progress they've seen.

I learned after my heart attack at 39 that apparently that BOTH great grandfathers on my mother's side died of heart attacks in their early 40s. So that would have been a good 70-80 years ago.

What they did for me in 20 minutes that preserved nearly all of my heart function after 100% blockage just flat out WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN AVALIABLE to them to say nothing about the maintenance drugs after to prevent a recurrence. I mean, gently caress, the first coronary angioplasty in the US only happened 1 year before I was born. Now it's a short 3 day stay in the hospital after a major heart attack.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

feedmyleg posted:

Ferris Bueller already had 2 TV shows.

Naked Gun already had 2 TV shows.

Yep Naked Gun was based on a failed TV show.

Also I loved Parker Lewis Can’t Lose back in the day.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What was the second Naked Gun TV show?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Everyone should watch Police Squad! (In Color)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3rJqHWYjs

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Plus Angie Tribeca was a recent show in the same spirit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, Police Squad and cheekily Angie were what I was going for, same with Bueller/Lewis.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Escobarbarian posted:

So excited to start this once I get through all of Deadwood. I can already tell I'm gonna love it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

bull3964 posted:

What's crazy is there are still people alive now that were alive then. I mean, holy poo poo think of the progress they've seen.

How many 110+ year olds do you know?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

Yep, Police Squad and cheekily Angie were what I was going for, same with Bueller/Lewis.

Also Sledge Hammer!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It starts off set in 1900 too

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looten Plunder posted:

How many 110+ year olds do you know?

Personally, none, but they exist. There are potentially as many as 600 people that have hit the 110 mark and the top ten oldest (verifiable) all hit 117.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Simone Magus posted:

Speaking of No Activity, Tim Meadows is the second guest on Hangin' With Doctor Z, my new favorite show

https://youtu.be/ORV_tWGZwsM

Did you know Dr Zaius is a doctor?