Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve almost finished season 2 of YOU. This show loving rules

Yes, it absolutely does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I watched the first two episodes of Mr Mayor tonight and liked them, but is it just me or does it look insanely cheap compared to 30 rock? Everything seemed off a bit somehow.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mr Mayor was better than I thought it'd be, but I don't know if I'll stick with it for very long. Maybe if it can pull the kind of emotions that Kimmy Schmidt got out of me, but I 'unno.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Mr Mayor tonight and liked them, but is it just me or does it look insanely cheap compared to 30 rock? Everything seemed off a bit somehow.

It's the sets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another reminder that we’re on the last day or two for TVIV 2020 poll submissions!!! Not a lot of people have posted this year, which sucks, especially considering how great the Games poll last night was! Are you really gonna make us look bad next to a bunch of gamers? Vote today!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Forums;
Dead;
Gay

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With network ratings so low compared to the days of 30R, I’m sure the budget is waaaaaay lower.

Escobarbarian posted:

Another reminder that we’re on the last day or two for TVIV 2020 poll submissions!!! Not a lot of people have posted this year, which sucks, especially considering how great the Games poll last night was! Are you really gonna make us look bad next to a bunch of gamers? Vote today!

Do I fight you on your opinion that the last season of Brockmire was great in here, or there? ;) It was OK but man was it a sink compared to the previous ones, and fell into every single time jump blahness that other shows have done. I guess it ended nicely enough?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The promos for Mr Mayor just make me want to rewatch The Good Place.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked the two episodes of Mr Mayor that I saw.

I did not like the half episode of Call me Kat that I saw after Hell's Kitchen, and will not be revisiting that.

I also did not like the first episode of The Great North, but because I like Bob's Burgers, I will give it a second episode before I call it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Escobarbarian posted:

oh god this will be my most rachet list ever and will come in just at the deadline gently caress gently caress gently caress :sweatdrop:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone watching Your Honor? The first episode is the most stressful thing I've watched in a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I queued it up but I’ve not really read anything positive about it, so I’ll probably not bother unless the end somehow blows them all away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t seen today’s episode yet but aside from the opening of the first I’ve found it to be pretty goddamn average

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven’t seen today’s episode yet but aside from the opening of the first I’ve found it to be pretty goddamn average

Yeah I'm on episode 2 right now and it took a deep dive in quality once the initial event was done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I liked the two episodes of Mr Mayor that I saw.

I did not like the half episode of Call me Kat that I saw after Hell's Kitchen, and will not be revisiting that.

I also did not like the first episode of The Great North, but because I like Bob's Burgers, I will give it a second episode before I call it.

Call me Kat was bad, but when you compare it to some of the sitcoms that dropped last year like Carol’s Second Act or Bob Hearts Abishola it was Citizen Kane. That said, the only reason I even finished the episode was because my remote needed batteries and I didn’t feel like dealing with that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Call me Kat was bad, but when you compare it to some of the sitcoms that dropped last year like Carol’s Second Act or Bob Hearts Abishola it was Citizen Kane. That said, the only reason I even finished the episode was because my remote needed batteries and I didn’t feel like dealing with that.

Bob Hearts Abishola actually dropped in 2019 and it's almost certain to get a third season because it's cheap to make and gets stupidly high viewership numbers. :suicide:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

Bob Hearts Abishola actually dropped in 2019 and it's almost certain to get a third season because it's cheap to make and gets stupidly high viewership numbers. :suicide:

I checked after I made that post, they both dropped in 2019. At least Carol’s Second Act got cancelled, but those shows were some of the worst TV I had ever seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched like 10 episodes of Carol’s Second Act entirely because of Kyle MacLachlan and I only kind of regret it. It was so awful

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It was almost impressive how bad both those shows were. I only watched the first episode of each because they aired in a block, but it was a car crash I couldn’t look away from. Easily the worst television since Allen Gregory.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've extended the deadline for the TVIV Annual Poll

:siren:Check out the thread here and submit if you haven't yet.:siren:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Queen Latifah has a particular set of skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqySpdSdlbw

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mu Zeta posted:

Queen Latifah has a particular set of skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqySpdSdlbw

Sure, why not. I like the Equalizer stuff. Denzel's movies were fun.

Although I like the Queen, I'd rather it be the (Regina) King.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

isaboo posted:

Sure, why not. I like the Equalizer stuff. Denzel's movies were fun.

Although I like the Queen, I'd rather it be the (Regina) King.

Regina King would be perfect in that role.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At first I thought it was too absurd for Queen Latifah but it's way more believable than Liam Neeson hopping over any fences

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So how do y'all feel about the new The Stand series on CBS? I've never read the book and I only recently tried to watch the 1994 tv miniseries and holy gently caress it was bad, but I like this new thing.

James Marsden is cool and I look forward to Alexander Skaarsgard chewing some scenery. I haven't seen Greg Kinnear in forever but he's cool too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

So how do y'all feel about the new The Stand series on CBS? I've never read the book and I only recently tried to watch the 1994 tv miniseries and holy gently caress it was bad, but I like this new thing.

James Marsden is cool and I look forward to Alexander Skaarsgard chewing some scenery. I haven't seen Greg Kinnear in forever but he's cool too.

I'm enjoying it, particularly some of the casting. Owen Teague is really great too -- wish they'd kept in involved with the Locke and Key adaptation.

The reviews I've read say that Ezra Miller's meant to turn up at some point and completely blow the rest of the cast away tho.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started Taskmaster s7 and it’s a solid lineup so far but why does that one lady have a little belt or something around her head during every task

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anyone else watching Lupin starring Omar Sy?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yes, I've watched the first 3 episodes and I'm loving it so far. Omar Sy is so great lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm assuming it's a French show and I've literally never heard anyone praise a French show before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm assuming it's a French show and I've literally never heard anyone praise a French show before.

I liked Missions!*

*Sorta!**

**I mean ok it’s nonsense, but I’m also a sucker for Mars poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Spiral's good.

Edit: Dude, Les Revenants? Everyone was so horny for that show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

isaboo posted:

It’s ok, but if you watched the 94 miniseries back in 94 (yes it doesn’t hold up today) you would think it is better than this blah adaptation. The new version lacks zero emotional punch due to its use of flashbacks and giving Harold the most screen time. A certain character leaving for Vegas has zero emotional impact on the audience (like it did in the book and the original series) due to we have only spent 5 minutes total with that character 4 episodes in. Actually it is the same for all the characters. They are there just to drive plot points and it is a shame since the characters were one of the strong points of the source material.

I know book reader bitching blah blah, but if it wasn’t for my apperception of the book good chance I wouldn’t be watching this very average miniseries. I do agree with the casting, but the show hasn’t required much from the actors so far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nate fisher posted:

It’s ok, but if you watched the 94 miniseries back in 94 (yes it doesn’t hold up today) you would think it is better than this blah adaptation. The new version lacks zero emotional punch due to its use of flashbacks and giving Harold the most screen time. A certain character leaving for Vegas has zero emotional impact on the audience (like it did in the book and the original series) due to we have only spent 5 minutes total with that character 4 episodes in. Actually it is the same for all the characters. They are there just to drive plot points and it is a shame since the characters were one of the strong points of the source material.

I know book reader bitching blah blah, but if it wasn’t for my apperception of the book good chance I wouldn’t be watching this very average miniseries. I do agree with the casting, but the show hasn’t required much from the actors so far.

Is it a mini-series? Or are they shooting for a season 2?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Medullah posted:

Is it a mini-series? Or are they shooting for a season 2?

It is a one off series (9 total episodes).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like the Ghostbeaters won't be completely forgotten as Kelly and Pablo (voiced by their respective actors) will be showing up in the upcoming Evil Dead videogame.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I rewatched the 94 Stand miniseries a few years ago and I think the first two episodes still hold up pretty well, the ones showing the outbreak and collapse of society and everyone initially trying to survive and make their way to Boulder. It was only the second half, with the rebuilding of society and the Vegas vs. Boulder stuff, where it felt its age.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think the new Stand has been alright so far, like I don't mind the flashback stuff because that's just standard prestige TV tropes at this point, but it clearly should not have been a miniseries.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

thread from the creator of Infinity Train
https://twitter.com/oweeeeendennis/status/1348353058783154176?s=12

I am 30 and therefore underqualified for the "over 30" thread. I was nine when 9/11 happened. I remember the big TV being wheeled in on the morning 9/11 happened, but I remember the (lead-up to the) Iraq War as the first political event where a lot of kids were old enough to have a lot to say about it. They were all "why do you love Saddam Hussein" and asking every teacher what they thought about it, and I was the only Democrat there. We were studying the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and some kid pointed out that's the place we're going to bomb, and he seemed pretty happy about it.

I was watching the first season of Arrested Development a year ago or so. There's this teacher character who Michael dates, and then he finds out that she's a Saddam Hussein fan and bakes "I love Saddam Hussein" cupcakes. I kind of wonder if the creators of that show wrote that character to lambaste anti-war critics, like they thought "if Communists exist, then there's probably some loony leftist who likes Saddam Hussein, too", possibly in a both-sides kind of way which resulted in a strawman character

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 11, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I was watching the first season of Arrested Development a year ago or so. There's this teacher character who Michael dates, and then he finds out that she's a Saddam Hussein fan and bakes "I love Saddam Hussein" cupcakes. I kind of wonder if the creators of that show did that as a commentary on anti-war critics.

I really think that so much of Arrested Development('s first run) is a satire of the Bush administration - Iraq, rigged elections, limousine liberalism, border security, corrupt ties between business and government, even the family dynamic itself - that it's shocking more wasn't made of it, not only at the time but in retrospect.

It's also kind of apt in that the last season of AD was all about how so much of Trump was doing stuff that AD had done prior, and for some reason so many people on both sides of the political spectrum miss that, when you get beneath his mannerisms, there's not really a lot of difference in substance between Trump and the "respectable" Republicans who came before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Renew Infinity Train HBO Max you cowards