Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I finally got my dad setup with internet and a roku TV so he has something to do besides shovel snow all day. He's never been a big television watcher, so he mostly just watches Maddow, but he recently got into The Mandolorian and made his way through that fairly quickly.

Then about two weeks ago I connected him to our Hulu account and kind of on a whim set him up to watch Lost. I wasn't sure if he'd like it so I told him he had to watch at least the first two episodes to give it a real chance. I talked to him the other day and asked him about it, he bursts out laughing and says he's just starting season 4. He said he's never experienced anything like it and thinks it's the greatest show ever. He's a 75 year old black guy who grew up on a farm and flew airplanes, so he never really had the time to watch television before this so I guess serial dramas are like crack or something if don't know how they work.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty happy he's enjoying his time these days so does anyone have any good serial drama recommendations, "Lost-like" or otherwise, for someone who's basically never experienced Peak TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

-Blackadder- posted:

So I finally got my dad setup with internet and a roku TV so he has something to do besides shovel snow all day. He's never been a big television watcher, so he mostly just watches Maddow, but he recently got into The Mandolorian and made his way through that fairly quickly.

Then about two weeks ago I connected him to our Hulu account and kind of on a whim set him up to watch Lost. I wasn't sure if he'd like it so I told him he had to watch at least the first two episodes to give it a real chance. I talked to him the other day and asked him about it, he bursts out laughing and says he's just starting season 4. He said he's never experienced anything like it and thinks it's the greatest show ever. He's a 75 year old black guy who grew up on a farm and flew airplanes, so he never really had the time to watch television before this so I guess serial dramas are like crack or something if you don't know how they work.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty happy he's enjoying his time these days so does anyone have any good serial drama recommendations, "Lost-like" or otherwise, for someone who's basically never experienced Peak TV?

Update:

Dad has now chewed through the following in record time:

1. Lost - ^^^

2. Prison Break - This is his favorite so far. He loved all the planning and strategizing people were doing. He was also amazed at what a scumbag Bagwell was. I had him skip season 5 because I really felt like season 4 was the best way to end the show. Since he liked this one so much I was thinking of trying to find him more shows abut conspiracies. He loves those alien conspiracies shows. He's already seen X-Files so that's a no go, but anything else could work.

3. Battlestar Galactica - He was hesitant at first, but he got into it by 33. He said it was a lot more emotional and people didn't really have plans, they were just reacting. The Pegasus two-parter (which I remember being a high point when I watched it as well) had an impact on him. He said they needed to realize that even though the cylons were robots they had spent so much time copying humans, that they felt like humans and so you couldn't treat them like animals. He also thought it was hilarious that Baltar just wanted to bang all the women. He started really zooming through episodes and I realized that he was falling asleep and letting them run, so I started telling him he needed to make sure to go back and restart from the last part he could remember whenever he woke up. Some kind of app that can tell when he's asleep and then turn off/pause his show would be great.

4. Justified (beginning Season 4) - He's liking this a lot, I think he jives with the lighter nature of the show. Lost and BSG are heavy and slow, but this and Prison Break are definitely lighter and move quicker. He said he was going to keep a count of how many people got killed on Justified but forgot, but he said it was a lot; "they're dropping them like flies".

If anyone has any more suggestions they think he'd like I'm happy to get him to try them.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, I actually have a list of upcoming show ideas for him. But anything not on the below list that i should add? Especially newer shows, because I feel like I haven't added much new stuff from the last few years. I feel like this is a pretty good list, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. (Also, he doesn't really get into comedies or comedy-dramas).

OPTIONS
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Heroes
The Americans
The Shield
Sons of Anarchy or The Mayans
Fringe
The Last Kingdom
The Strain
The Wire
Dexter
Spartacus
The Outsider
Banshee
Fargo
The Witcher
The Boys
Deadwood
Sleeper Cell
12 Monkeys
Added:
Person of Interest
Jett
Warrior
Counterpart
Rubicon
Flight Attendant

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 2, 2021

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Flight Attendant if he has HBO Max and Patriot because why not?

I haven't actually gotten him HBO yet, I was planning on getting it long enough for him to watch Game of Thrones, whenever he starts that though. I should also probably note that he never seems to end up getting into comedies or comedy-dramas.

e: vvv Corrected and added. The trailer looks pretty good so I'll have him give it a shot. I just know any kind of comedy-ish show, especially the quirky/satirical kind that are popular these days don't usually click for him. But this actually looks like a good mystery and he's definitely into those, as long as they aren't too slow burn (there's a few on my list that I think will be too slow for him.)

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 2, 2021

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Everyone posted:

Oak Island is apparently a real life version of an Indiana Jones adventure. In real life when a big-rear end boulder comes rolling down at people some of them are probably going to get squashed.

I watched some of Skinwalker Ranch a couple days. With the segments being filmed and dated two years ago in 2019, it comes off as kind of a long, dull found footage movie. Like at the end we'll say, "Oh, so that's how they all ended up as dismembered, radioactive skeletons. Well, now we know."

These actually sound pretty cool are they any good? Or are there others that are any good? My Dad loves any kind of aliens/ conspiracy/buried treasure/monster stuff, are there any good reality shows out now that are like that? I haven't watched reality shows since Gold Rush several years back so I haven't really been following them.