Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Close Enough: The first couple episodes were a bit scattered but it found a groove and I ended up enjoying the whole season. Got quite a few genuine lol moments from me which is hard to come by these days. Much like Regular Show it's best when it gets real weird with it. Looking forward to Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
My touchstone for SFU discourse at the time was the Television Without Pity reviews & forums. God I miss that site.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Well, the Joss Whedon trashfire just got bigger:

https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1359984855375831042

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Re: Kim's Convenience; the show overall is a delight but I get bored/restless when it gets too much into Janet & Jung's various dramas.

Everything with Appa and Umma is gold, though. They're so perfect for each other. :allears:

Also I low-key crush on Pastor Nina and I love how she navigates the Kim's foibles.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Sopranos is great both from a metatextual & thematic perspective, as well as just being drat well-made & -acted. As far as portrayal of the mob goes, it is incredibly generous to their actual competence and organizational structure.

Donnie Brasco is the most realistic depiction of the mafia, in no small part because it's based on true people & events. Grifters one-upping each other and busting open stolen parking meters in their spare time.

Nearly 20 years on from The Sopranos, the real mob today is just a bunch of guys bouncing around in Brownian motion, collecting debts for other, more well-run (offshore) criminal enterprises, stealing pills, selling guns, and getting shot by Q chuds or their own sons in McDonald's parking lots.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas "Lowtax" Brendon

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

A Bosch spinoff, starring ... Harry Bosch? I'm in. That will be an interesting dynamic since Maddie expressed her interest in going full fash at the end of last season. Although we do still have one final season of the main show to see how things shake out.

Also more opportunity for The Lincoln Lawyer to make a cameo.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Plus they're getting rid of the entire cast pretty much. I wish Lance Reddick would be in this though too.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seemingly no Jamie Hector either, which sucks. I like J. Edgar and his character background is getting deeper & deeper.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh I think she's definitely implying something with that tweet, not just giving blanket "don't meet your heroes" advice.

more than implying:

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund/status/1373870441039757313

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

cristin milioti? yes, please & thank you

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

this is some bull poo poo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

How's the Get Shorty TV series? Worth checking out? With Resident Alien, American Gods, and Snowpiercer all over I need new shows.

first 2 seasons were fun but 3rd (and last?) is kind of a mess, imo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Wow, uh ... Season 4 of Brockmire really doesn't hold back on, well, everything, does it?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
it don't matter. none a this matters.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Vertical Lime posted:

also i read that at&t was trying to unload directv and the selling price was a fraction of what they paid for

Yes, and they did the exact same thing they're doing here, ie "selling" to another entity but still retaining shareholder control of the new structure.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Call me when there's a Morn Knight movie.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kim's Convenience star Simu Liu puts producers on blast in explosive Facebook post

Quite a lot to unpack here.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Hal inadvertently collecting a posse of dim-bulb bodybuilders who follow him around is one of the best TV sequences of all time.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1402664928465485829

does anyone still give a poo poo about this show?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
this miss marple fucks

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I didn't have "Eddie Deezen is a creepy stalker" on my 2021 bingo card, but here we are:

https://twitter.com/athomasson11/status/1407858532440018948

https://twitter.com/KaraLashbaugh/status/1407540617849286658

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m on season 6 now and the formula has started to become a bit stale, but Falk as Columbo is still consistently excellent and makes the show worth watching.

The quality of any given Columbo episode is entirely dependent on the abilities of its villain-of-the-week guest star and how much chemistry they have with Peter Falk.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 22, 2021

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'd thank you not to post pictures of teenage me, please.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I like the first version ironically and like the second version unironically .

You're a coward if you skip it regardless. I mean, you've already committing to watching Enterprise, might as well ride it all the way.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Pennyworth is a fantastic, gorgeous, well-acted show that approximately 8 people have seen.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Only Boomers like Mad Men" is one spicy take, I have to say. Well done.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

this looks sick as hell

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lodge 49 is a great show, in which absolutely nothing happens, yet somehow there is tremendous character development.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Haters be damned, Bebop is a blast so far.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I watched the first episode of Midnight Mass tonight and it was kind of weird to hear Rahul Kohli do an American accent.

I adore the man but, bless his heart, he should never try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I ... like(?) ... the new Dexter ... ? I'm ... enjoying it? This does not compute.

There's ridiculous contrivances all over but that's just Dexter in a nutshell anyway.

What is weird is how much of the premise & setting is like a funhouse mirror version of Resident Alien.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 1, 2021