Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'm excited to see where Search Party S3 and now S4 go. I only watched it back when season 2 was just airing, there was such a big gap between that and season 3 that I just assumed it might have been cancelled. Sounds like it's time for a rewatch so I can remember everything that's happened again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I don't know about other people, but I found Search Party funny from the beginning and loved seeing all the dumb and oblivious things everyone did.

It's for sure a lot like enjoying watching Always Sunny characters or similar - they do just as many ridiculous and dumb things, it's just a slightly more realistic world where story carries across and there's more consequences to what they do.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

late to the party but god drat Watchmen episode 6 is like art/masterpiece. The closest thing I can think of is the dream episode in season 2 of The Leftovers. Damon Lindelof is really obsessed with uniforms defining you.

I just finished the season recently as well and agree with all of this. I also really loved episode 8 and the way it was set up. I just really enjoyed the whole season overall - having never read the comics and remembering nothing about the movie, I thought the entire season was excellent and super compelling from the start. It's great to have a single season story for a show as well.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jimmy gets hosed up so often on the show and every single time it’s still incredible. The Mick in general is like someone made an entire show with the same energy as Dee taking a header into the car door on Always Sunny.

I would happily trade any future IASIP season for just one more Mick episode.

The actor's character in The Righteous Gemstones gave me a lot of the same Jimmy vibes, I was very happy to see him showing up in somethingelse after The Mick still.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Lodge 49 is incredible and nol a show where you need to worry about whether any kind of mystery is going to resolve or not. Every character is fleshed out and explored so well, Dud's sister Liz is a big favourite of mine and extremely relatable.

I loved her enough to go watch Humans to see something else she was in. I was surprised to find out she was British after she she pulls off a convincing accent in Lodge 49.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Mr Inbetween, but as an Australian it's still weird hearing the normal range of aussie accents and seeing recognisable stores and locations.

Was also fun not realising No Activity was an Australian show first and seeing the main character in both (with driving seats flipped of course).

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Servant is a wild show and easily my favourite Apple TV thing I've seen so far. Just incredible atmosphere and shots all around, works well with the shorter episode length too.

I haven't seen For All Mankind yet but I'm sure that'll be up there too. Very happy that Servant has another season coming up eventually though.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm 100% certain that they had a five season arc planned from the start. Season 3 is actually season 4, as it starts with a bunch of things that happened off screen. In the final episode, Nora tells everyone what would have happened in season 5.

I think a huge part of the final episode was not getting anything more than Nora telling what happened and leaving it to Kevin to decide if that's enough for him. It's just such a perfect note to end on and anything beyond that just seems against the point. Although the whole show is so well made that anything more they might have done would be great, I'm sure.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Really liked the first episode and will definitely watch the rest. Also I’ve never seen Life & Times of Tim so I should really get on that!

The Life and Times of Tim is incredible, I haven't watched it in years but this is a good excuse to go back. From the looks of the Tom trailer it's the same tone and style so it's definitely worth your time.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'm coming up on the final half of The Americans last season now, what a stressful and intense show. Every season has felt perfectly plotted and well-made, but there's always am extra heightening when I know I'm watching the final season of a heavily drama/story based show. So many plans and confrontations that all feel like they could come to a head at any moment, I'm really excited to see how it wraps up by the end.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'll report back soon, I'm done for the night but have the final two to go. My partner who watched it all before me wants to get in on these last couple of episodes too.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I just finished the finale of The Americans tonight, I'll leave everything below as spoilers. Couldn't have been more impressed though.

What an incredible time all around, everything in the final hour felt tense and inevitable but so much still surprised me still. The last confrontation with Stan and the family in the nearly empty parking lot was just perfect. Such a sparse setting but every single tiny tic and expression on his face was incredible (as it has been for the entire show, seriously impressive any time he's on screen). So many layers of lies and half-truths with everything they're telling him in the moment, but you still see the honest emotion behind it all as well. I honestly had no idea what direction it might go in, even after it seemed like he decided to let then to after all.

Then going from that to the extended travel montage with basically no dialogue - everything from there on felt incredibly bittersweet and a tiny bit hopeful every time they got a bit further without getting caught (as much as it could in their situation at least). But having Paige step off at the last moment felt like a final gutpunch, seeing their expressions and knowing it's the last moments they'll see each other, not even getting a chance to prepare for it.

Having them end up back home after all that time - no family, huge portions of their life abandoned and no real strong connection to either country, is so sad that it's almost funny. It also feels like there's no other positive way it could have worked out. It always felt like the promise of retiring and having their family back in Russia was an impossible ideal but something to hold on to. I can't think of a better way to tie the show up and their final exchange after almost 10 minutes with minimal dialogue was just so full of emotion and exhaustion all around. It's exactly what they were told the job would be like and there's just no good way to experience it.

Truly an incredible show and it more than lived up to everything it ever promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Creamerie is on my list of shows to watch after The OA S2 and Succession S3 and I'm excited to see what I'm in for, sounds like a good time.