Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every season has its high points. I don't know if the cake destruction in S6 counts as "good" but it was definitely memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

All Taskmaster opinions are mine alone:
S1 is the beginning, I don't think anyone stands out but it's got the "just some comedian friends hanging out" rough aesthetic.
S2 has some really strong "I like to watch these guys struggle" contestants. Katherine Ryan's style sometimes grates but Richard Osman glides through everything smugly as he always does and Joe Wilkinson's fun on a show whose content reins him in (he's hilarious on 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown but half of that's "I can't believe he's doing this shtick on TV"). Also has one of the most heartbreaking moments of the show.
S3 is weird. Al Murray just spends a lot of money to plow through things, he's the heel of the cast without actually being entertaining about it.
S4 is my all-star season. Everyone here is spectacular in ways that play off each other well.
S5 has more great folks. Mark Watson and Nish Kumar are more folks it's great to see struggle.
S6 is a low point. Not bad, just doesn't reach the heights of other seasons. Tim Vine is doing... something completely out of step which is amusing if that works for you but the dissonance is kinda the point. It's weird.
S7 would be worth it just for Rhod Gilbert trolling the Taskmaster. A lot of the career British comedians in the circles that appear on the show have a familiarity with each other but Rhod and Greg are old old buddies and it shows by how bizarrely cruel Rhod is. Everyone else this season is great too and I'd put it second to season 4 in my personal ranking.
S8/S9 haven't seen yet. S8's just started on the Youtube channel, not enough to have an opinion.
S10 due to Covid they were filming without an audience (I think there was one over Zoom or something?) and everything feels very intimate. Johnny Vegas is my standout here but everyone gets their well-earned time in the spotlight.

I'd say 4, 7, 2, 5 and 10 are my top recs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Taskmaster's New Year's Treat is lovely. Contestants with some serious charisma.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

First time I remember constantly being tuned in was when a forest fire hit my hometown in 2000. That wasn't due to constant news updates though, the news just kept repeating the same thing, it was just easy to get sucked into being a trauma zombie and I eventually managed to get a crowbar between my parents and the hotel television.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Remember all the American flags everywhere during the weeks after? It was easier to find toilet paper in March 2020 than it was to find a flag after 9/11. Most Americans had a false sense of unity that later got destroyed by our misguided invasion of Iraq.

Up here in Portland whatever equivalent of the Proud Boys we had at the time tried to incite violence against "Muslims" (read: brown people) with a whole bunch of vitriol-filled flyers. Our rally in response in support of our neighbors was derailed and became purely anti-Bush anti-war at some time between "we should do this" and it actually happening that weekend. Those of us who tried to bring it up were told "this is more important" and other dismissal.

So my memory of "unity" is maybe a bit different.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 13, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Despite being wildly uneven, there's definitely enough charm to keep me watching. Just... so many odd decisions, especially since Rihanna was so heavily involved.

She and Narrativia were locked out around 2016 and basically disavowed it in 2019/20.
https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1218530606595878915
https://discworldmonthly.co.uk/terrypratchett_thewatchseries.php for a timeline breakdown.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The old CG that's stuck with me is from... I think it was V. The aliens had killed the president but had a virtual replacement. Just plug in a massive floppy disk and the computer would slowly create a polygon face that would make FF7 look realistic. "It's perfect, nobody will suspect a thing!"

Unlike Batman '66, as far as I can tell this wasn't intended to be the joke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked it a lot. It's a little weird alt history situation though where jews are discriminated more than blacks in 1940s America.

The plot is specifically about an anti-semite becoming president and allying with Nazi propaganda policies, seen through the lens of jews who would be more focused on anti-jewish policies. Was there something in particular that stood out?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SimonChris posted:

That's pretty much the worst possible place to stop watching. It becomes amazing in the second half of S2.

That said, just because I've been on the wrong end of fan hype before, if you're not into it once things clearly start rolling feel free to stop. There's a lot of things we love about the show but no show's for everybody and that's fine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I didn't realize this wasn't common knowledge. On the other hand at the synagogue in Sunday School as a kid we'd watch tapes of Shalom Sesame with Kiki the Echidna. If you're strictly local culture in childhood media consumption (as a lot of folks tend to be unless there's a reason to get multicultural exposure) I can see that happening. Just never thought about it until now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Does it have the UK spots?
Edit: for those who don't know, the UK version had fewer commercials so they had a few more minutes of content. Couldn't involve continuity or the guest star so it was usually a song, but not always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU27gd34R-I

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 22, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Azhais posted:

The mouths not matching the audio always kills dubs for me, just too distracting

Interestingly I think this has gotten worse for me as technology has advanced. I parse it as a desync issue that I need to "fix", I don't recall having any issue as a kid. Though memory is funny so I won't say that as an absolute.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

How does that show hold up? It's one of the few extremely popular shows that I never watched an episode of.

There's one aspect in particular that I consider a gold nugget of the show. In most odd-couple shows I'm left wondering "why are these people together" and it's contrived stuff like contractually-obligated roommates or folks with nothing in common except for red-hot lust. Frasier is a whole bunch of conflicts between lowbrow and highbrow but the people involved care about each other. Martin doesn't have a clue what Frasier and Niles are talking about but he wants to because he loves his kids, and they do the same to him. There are episodes where some point of interest is discounted as worthless but it's clearly the character making that judgement rather than the show, usually being portrayed as ignorant for doing so. And again that's both directions; the class divide is played for comic effect but not as one side of it being "right".

It's family caring about each other even when they don't care about the things the others do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

postmodifier posted:

It's South Korean rather than from the UK, but episodes of "The Genius" are readily available with subtitles all over the place. It's got the same vibe of celebrities/comedians being asked to play games for points, except pretty much everyone on that show is ridiculously intelligent and the backstabbing and conning one another are some world-class entertainment?

The Genius is fascinating. Sometimes the games lean too heavily to one side or the other but usually they figure out good challenges that have both a tactical and a social component. So it's figuring out the trick and then either selling it to others or trying to mislead them.

My favorite is a game of Mafia from season ... 3 I think where the "good" team got control but suddenly realized they had a winning plan if they lost the game. The "losers" would win if they guessed the mastermind of the other team, and thinking they were certain to lose the "bad" team accidentally stopped trying to hide theirs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

I think "Good News Week" was Australia's version of HIGNY (which stopped airing years ago). Whilst I like that show, all this talk really makes me miss a show we had called "The Panel" which just shot the poo poo about what happened during the week. Such good chemistry, so laid back and totally organic.

I enjoy The Last Leg for that. Very casual atmosphere, when they did some telepresence episodes (TLL: Lockdown-Under since Adam was at home in Australia) the production values almost went up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Many asian kids had brown-ish highlights and they made up over half my school population. Pre-9/11 ruled.

I'm having trouble following the link between those two sentences. Did your school adopt a strict "whites only" policy?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Columbo, the character and actor Peter Falk is just phenomenally good. He's on par easily with Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, but he's built for the medium and so well acted. :discourse:

The way he almost terrorizes his suspects. He's a troll

It's an interesting way of approaching the genre. I really enjoyed one episode of Kojak that did a similar thing; street kid does a job for hire, Kojak knows he did it but can't prove it (yet), and the whole episode's just tightening the noose and making life difficult for the kid trying to flip him before the guys he's covering for shut him up. It's brutal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been rewatching Columbo and Poirot off and on and it's been a nice shield from hellworld. I forgot how utterly charming both Peter Falk and David Suchet were.

Suchet is the bad guy in heist movie Foolproof and it feels so weird both from his demeanor and lack of moustache. The movie also has one reviewer comment that I hope Ryan Reynolds has framed somewhere:

quote:

But the money blown on it could have funded eighteen smaller films that actually had a shot at the box office - or one close to this one, only which had the one secret ingredient needed to make a profit... an actual star.

Not a masterpiece, but I liked it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

...really? I'd always assumed it was like, white American propaganda fluff.

The books were, Laura Ingalls Wilder made a lot of excuses for her family of the "oh the place was empty and we did everything for ourselves as true Americans without government getting in the way" variety. I believe her daughter's considered one of the founders of Libertarianism. Not sure about the show, it's been ages since I saw any so I'll leave that to others.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m watching an episode of Columbo guest-starring Miguel Ferrer’s dad, Jessica Walter, Robby the loving Robot, and a kid character named Steven Spelberg who apparently invented Robby. Also there’s a running gag of Columbo trying to get all these characters to watch his dog while he investigates.

I love this show.

If I remember my trivia Spielberg had directed an episode with the same writer, who then named the kid as a nod. This was a few years before Jaws and Close Encounters and such so he was hardly a household name.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure I need to see anything that this year to know that Godzilla Vs. Kong should get the Academy Award for best VFX.

I have hopes for Mortal Kombat, the trailer's FX looked great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm not gonna say "stop watching Arrow after XYZ" because there are some great moments throughout, but it definitely comes in and out of quality and some seasons are saddled with the antagonist or a major plot point being the bit that's not working.

Others, of course, get someone who chews the scenery almost as well as a wrestling heel. They had some good stunt coordinators, so while a lot of it suffers from "two guys in black fighting inside a dimly-lit warehouse" there are great bits among that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

He's going to do Hollywood Squares again! Except now it's all on Zoom.

They need to update the slang for the new audience, call it Hollywood Boomers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

I think Ferguson is a great interviewer but I found everything else about his show completely unfunny.

The unfunniness is what sold it for me. The times when the pacing would hit a low point and Ferguson basically leaned into the camera and said "this is weird, isn't it?" (I think he literally did that some times). Fit well for 1AM should-be-in-bed television.

But comedy's subjective, what I got out of it doesn't mean other folks are wrong.

Edit: I guess I'd say that Ferguson had funny monologues and interviews and the like, but his ability to metaphorically invite the viewers onto the stage with him is what made him memorable for me. Conan did some of that as well, in a different way. Most late night hosts don't get that opportunity.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 29, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Ha, that show is one of the things that made me certain that I had the made the correct life choices.

It didn't really stand out to me at the time (aside from things like That Episode) but looking back... oof.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The titles on those games/shows get weird, but Resident Evil: Lance Reddick is a new one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Leverage: Redemption feels like it's back in the game right from the start. Hits all the beats solid. Wonderful birthday present.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

why what u got against aliens

Not nearly as much as I'd like to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That is so loving perfect I'm over here freaking out like a goober, can't wait

It feels like a fan video and I'm all in baby.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of JMS

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=21

Click link for entire thread. Answers a few questions I had.

That's the sort of attitude I was hoping for. I too want to see what 2020s B5 looks like.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're born in 1983 you're considered a geriatric millenial.

Cyborgs. We grew up in both analog and digital worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Khanstant posted:

driven mad like they are all screaming and freaking out and saying weirdo poo poo mad or they are online typing furiously at women mad?

The former. Male channelers inevitably go mad because the Devil fondled their side of the source a bit too heavily last time it got out.