Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My girlfriend is a huge fan of the US Office, but had never seen the original. With the US one leaving Netflix, I convinced her to watch the original on Amazon. I hadn't seen it for years, and while I liked it, I preferred Extras. Watching it again now, though, I loved it a lot more. I think having seen so much of the US Office with her (it was one of our go-to things to put on in the background) everyone being more worn-down and less cheery and happy about being stuck in an office with each more was more refeshing.

I think we're going to go through Extras next so I'll see if that holds up. I haven't watched any of it in years and I have to say, I suspect I may not like it as much as I remember.

That being said, I still think Office and Extras are the only Gervais things I've enjoyed. Well, I guess I did like The Ricky Gervais Show too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I've never seen Hamilton, and I never heard of Linda Manuel Miranda before the Hamilton craze started.

Is he funny or something?

His parents were rich and well connected to the New York Democratic Party establishment.

TheAardvark posted:

Discovery plus is out and doesn't have Chopped :psyduck: what is the point

Does it have Good Eats?

Was really pissed that Food Network didn't show Twas the Night Before Good Eats this year. No joke, it's one of the few Christmas specials I watch every year.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really liked season 1, season 2 was a bit more hit or miss, especially the ending. And I think the Italian woman was written pretty badly in season 2, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I rewatched the 94 Stand miniseries a few years ago and I think the first two episodes still hold up pretty well, the ones showing the outbreak and collapse of society and everyone initially trying to survive and make their way to Boulder. It was only the second half, with the rebuilding of society and the Vegas vs. Boulder stuff, where it felt its age.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I was watching the first season of Arrested Development a year ago or so. There's this teacher character who Michael dates, and then he finds out that she's a Saddam Hussein fan and bakes "I love Saddam Hussein" cupcakes. I kind of wonder if the creators of that show did that as a commentary on anti-war critics.

I really think that so much of Arrested Development('s first run) is a satire of the Bush administration - Iraq, rigged elections, limousine liberalism, border security, corrupt ties between business and government, even the family dynamic itself - that it's shocking more wasn't made of it, not only at the time but in retrospect.

It's also kind of apt in that the last season of AD was all about how so much of Trump was doing stuff that AD had done prior, and for some reason so many people on both sides of the political spectrum miss that, when you get beneath his mannerisms, there's not really a lot of difference in substance between Trump and the "respectable" Republicans who came before him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I had a flashback to those dumb as all gently caress SUPPORT ARE TROOPS yellow car ribbons, but on the way I remembered how we would clap/honk/cheer for cops/paramedics/firefighters for a while after 9/11.

Man. We cheered for cops :ughh:

I think our concept of "first responders" that's so big now directly came from 9/11 pushing the idea that medics and firefighters deserved the same worship that cops got.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Now any world where Giuliani is respected feels like bizarro world. The guy has went in complete freefall. There has to be something mentally wrong with him. That said I thought NYC was starting to turn on him before 9/11 due to not only his marriage issues, but police issues? That his brand of law and order went too far, but 9/11 came along and gave him a new political life.

Yeah, both Rudy and George W. Bush had their political careers and public images saved by 9/11, only for the war on terror to then eventually grind them down.

And now thanks to Trump and Ellen, half of Democrats now think Bush was a good president.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t know anyone who thinks he was a good president, just like “man, we thought he was the worst a president could possibly be and ohhh boy we were wrong”.

From CNN's polling in 2018:

quote:

Six in 10 Americans, 61%, say they now have a favorable view of the 43rd President of the United States in the latest CNN poll conducted by SSRS, nearly double the 33% who gave him a favorable mark when he left the White House in January 2009. [...] Most of Bush’s climb back to popularity came from Democrats and independents. His favorability mark among Democrats has soared from only 11% in February 2009 to a majority 54% now.

In fact, Bush holds a majority favorable rating among every demographic group but liberals – including strong Democratic groups like nonwhites and people under 35 years old.

If anything I think the Democrats' push of "all Republicans except Trump and maybe McConnell are our friends" has probably improved Bush since that poll.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched I think the first two seasons of Grimm when they aired and liked it for what it was. Though I was also upset that NBC didn't go with 17th Precinct instead.

Also kind of funny that Grimm and Once Upon a Time clearly both cribbed from Fables, which I was upset about at the time but in retrospect very thankful it prevented a Fables adaptation from happening. Though I did like the Telltale game spinoff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Well this sounds nuts :stare: from the Queen's Gambit creator:

The book is fantastic but incredibly bleak. Part of its bleakness is that its depiction of the 2020s kind of are spot in, in that national space programs are secondary to private companies interested in asteroid mining, and that a major Middle Eastern country got mired in an endless civil war (though in the novel it's Turkey, not Syria).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

The rest though? A really good cast trying hard to make some bad material work. I'm never going to understand the decision to structure it the way they have.

Wasn't it originally written for ten episodes, and after the ten episodes were written, they were told to condense it into nine episodes? I thought I had also heard that after the series was shot, they then edited some more down after the coronavirus outbreak started.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Started watching Servant. Only a few episodes in, but I'm liking it a lot more than I expected to. Have no idea what is actually going on, but love the atmosphere. Also really appreciate that it's a prestige drama streaming show that keeps its episodes under the half hour mark rather than bloating them to hour-plus.

muscles like this! posted:

So HBO Max added the Adult Swim show Hot Streets and something kind of weird is that for the first season they don't have the episode that was aired as part of a special event.

I noticed that Check it Out and Tim and Eric Awesome Show on HBO Max each have only one of their two special episodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some people here might like this I found on Twitter, someone made a fifteen-course self-guided syllabus centered around watching Halt and Catch Fire and using it to discuss the history of technology: https://bits.ashleyblewer.com/halt-and-catch-fire-syllabus/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It's the last completed season; there one running currently with Carla Hall as the second judge. I've tried to like the show, but there a lot of forced comedy. And if you like "would have been over the top in bad '90's movies" caricatures , this is the show for you! There's always at least two ditzy blondes, a sassy black woman and one flaming gay man. Some of the contestants actually make gains, but it takes many grease fires and undercooked food to get there.

I just can't get into Worst Cooks, mainly because I really can't stand Anne Burrell. Even before she had the sexual harassment claims against her.

Though I feel like "90s movies caricatures" is a big chunk of most Food Network competition shows.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Probably not who you're thinking of, but he looks a lot like Harold Ramis to me.

Oh man. Never thought of this but now I can absolutely see it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My girlfriend has decided to watch Sex and the City again so I'm getting exposure to a lot of the show, and it's crazy to me how many future stars make appearances before their big break in early seasons. Todd Barry is one of those throwaway talking heads in like the second episode. Will Arnett and James Urbaniak are in the same episode. Bradley Cooper shows up for two scenes. They haven't shown up yet, but I remember Tony Hale and Michael Showalter being in early episodes as well from the last time my GF watched it. And I think Trump was the first major celebrity who's already a celebrity who shows up on the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of food and Servant, from the most recent episode: A Christian pizza company named Cheezus Crust really had me laughing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

Kinda weird that the same thread that constantly recommends Banshee would think The League of Extraordinary Ladies is a bridge too far on the cheese scale :j:

Speaking of, wasn't there supposed to be an actual all-female League of Extraordinary Gentleman remake announced a few years ago?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm really hoping Foundation is good. I've made my peace with the fact that it's probably going to only be loosely based on the books, but I'm hoping that even so there's enough there to feel like it's still someway connected to what Asimov wrote.

mistermojo posted:

the new episode of The Servant was really good, and no wonder its directed by Shyamalan himself

It's a dumb joke, but I really laughed at the "Sometimes you can be a bit of a *car honking in distance*" bit.

I think the big takeaway from this show for me is how good all four main actors are. Especially Toby Kebbell. Rupert Grint, too - he kind of was offputting for me the first few episodes, but just accepting that his character is meant to be a weird guy with a weird affect made it work.

radlum posted:

It was weird; what other shows are using COVID as part of their background?

It's the main focus of the current season of Grey's Anatomy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've started watching the miniseries on HBO Max about the Heaven's Gate cult and it is pretty interesting. It has a lot of first hand info as there are interviews with three former members, along with a retired college professor who infiltrated the cult in the early days of it.

It's decent and I think the talking head interviews are the best part, but if you're really interested, I'd listen to the Heaven's Gate podcast that Glynn Washington put out back in 2017. It's ten ~45 minute-long episodes so not too much of a commitment, but I think it did a much better job of going deep into the background of Heaven's Gate and their context in the cult and conspiracy cultures of the 1970s-90s. I really enjoyed listening to it. It also benefits from the fact that Washington himself grew up in a cult, and there's an episode that's just him giving his own experiences and how that shaped his perception of Heaven's Gate and cults in general.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

straight to series order for the reboot of The 4400.

Oh man.

The 4400 felt like one of those shows that was trying to copy Lost, but it actually predated Lost. And also gave us Mahershala Ali.

Really hope they keep the great opening credits.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

X-O posted:

As long as he's not forced to wear a dumb mask the whole time this will be great.

Sentinel Red posted:

The Mandalorian - Pedro Pascal wears a helmet 95% of the time and becomes Surrogate Dad to an orphan kid in a hostile environment

To be fair, most of the mask wearing on Mandalorian isn't actually Pascal.

But yeah, Prospect is great, everyone should watch that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Funny stance for Tim Pool to take given who some of his friends are.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Wait what's this show about the arctic marine biologists, I'm sold.

There was a great The Thing-inspired episode of The X-Files about this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Truth Seekers has been cancelled.

I want to have a reaction to this, but while I don't regret watching the first season, it also made no impression on me either.

That's a shame. I watched it too and while it wasn't the greatest thing ever, I enjoyed its more lighthearted approach to conspiracy/paranormal culture and it had a great cast.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember around the same time there was also the 30 Rock "What is this, the local?" but that seems to not have had the same lasting power.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To a lesser extent The Office where after the first season the 40 Year Old Virgin came out, and they completely redid Michael Scott to be more like Carrell's movie role and less like the more rear end in a top hat original version of Michael.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Trailer for "Kevin Can gently caress Himself"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pViCCPjRPjQ
I'm surprised the name stuck all the way to production. I was sure they were going to rename it at some point.

Worcester, Massachusetts is the perfect setting for that kind of sitcom. What an absolutely depressing place.

Too bad it doesn't star Erinn Hayes. Didn't she say that she auditioned for it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Kathryn Hahn, I watched through WandaVision over the past few days due to curiosity, and I feel like I'm the only person who watched it because I wanted to see old sitcom parodies, rather than because I'm deeply invested in MCU lore or whatever.

I thought it was really funny how many people online I saw complaining about how terrible the first three episodes were and how episode 4 "completely saved the entire series and stopped me from checking out" or stuff like that, because as someone who's only seen the first Avengers movie, I just started tuning out for thirty minutes of talk about people getting Blipped and Captain Marvel fighting Thanos or whatever.

I also see a bunch of people talking about how Elizabeth Olson deserves an Emmy for being able to play so many different roles, and yeah, she and Paul Bettany are good in it but it just reminds me of the reaction to Marriage Story last year where a bunch of MCU/Star Wars fans suddenly watched something non-genre for the first time and had their minds blown by long takes and extended monologues or just seeing actors without their faces being covered up by prosthetics and CGI and as a result confused basic acting with Oscar-transcendant abilities. WandaVision is fun and it's the first time in years an MCU thing has pulled me in but ultimately it's still just an MCU production and not the kind of inscrutable David Lynch production that it gets compared to by people who I really doubt have actually watched anything Lynch has done. (Though really I think the closest Lynch thing to it is On the Air.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts on WandaVision as like the one person watching it for the sitcom aspect rather than the Marvel aspect.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What was the second Naked Gun TV show?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

How?

I hope everyone laughed at them for this.

Would YOU want an unstable Vietnam veteran mentoring your children?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

As long as catalog doesn't cycle in and out

I don't use Peacock, but I've heard someone say that they already took down some of the stuff they had up at launch.

I am kind of tempted to watch Brave New World, though. Sounds like a mess but at least an entertaining one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Add me to the Jericho list.

A bit after the 00s but I also had a soft spot for the first seasons of Grimm and Once Upon a Time. Think I quit both after the second or third season, though. OUAT seemed like it went on forever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shageletic posted:

a better capsule for the 90s is She's All That

I feel like Tim and Eric Awesome Show really captures the aesthetics of the 90s perfectly, even if its type of comedy is not very 90s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IRQ posted:

Well if they're doing The Silmarillion they really should call it that, but I know they won't.

If I remember right, they're not actually allowed to use The Silmarillion or anything of Tolkien's from anything other than Lord of the Rings, but also can't contradict any of his non-LOTR stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Or the Fable video games, where you follow a typical fantasy realm from the medieval period into the industrial revolution over the course of the three games.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dude, I just watched the quarantine episode of Raven's Quest, and where has Rob Mcelhenney been hiding this kind of talent?

I've always thought of him as being the weakest of the Sunny cast, but Raven's Quest is genuinely turning into a fantastic sitcom.

Because of this thread I watched through both Raven's Quest and Content over the last few days, and really enjoyed both. I love that their last pre-covid episode was basically the Corrupted Blood accident from WoW, which in reality got used for covid research.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/YeahStill/status/1371680632120569857

The ladmag/Maddox cultural era was a strange time.

Love Brendan Fraser's attitude here.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

TIL Yaphet Kotto was almost Lando AND Picard.

It's a big mind-gently caress to see some of the other potential casting choices for TNG. Patrick Bauchau and Edward James Olmos for Picard, Wesley Snipes for Geordi, Robert Englund for Data.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, for a low-budget Netflix alt-comedy show that has about 90 minutes total screentime, it's a testament to its quality that I Think You Should Leave has the cultural relevance that it does.

Tim Robinson's appearances on Comedy Bang Bang and Tim Heidecker's Office Hours are very solid, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Was he on the TV show or the radio? I need to check those out either way, he's been hilarious on Office Hours.

He's been on both the TV and podcast version of CBB. The latter was specifically to promote I Think You Should Leave, and was a top tier appearance, especially when he gets into questioning his wife about how much she likes to laugh.