Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Between Knives Out and Rian being a huge Columbo fan, I am extremely onboard for this.

Although, Peacock is dogshit and I hate using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can’t find a video, but when it comes to The Mick and hilarious gross poo poo I always think about Chip making his sandwich.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of cop shows, I don't think there's ever been a finer "Gotcha" than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHhXZjUCB1c&t=256s

The quivering lip at the end ...

I love Columbo so drat much and I’ve only been watching it for a few weeks. I’m through season 3 now and I can only think of 2 or 3 dull/mediocre episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Is it only streaming on Prime through IMDB with ads or is there a place I can stream it ad free? And no I won't be stealing Columbo episodes, I'd surely be caught by my overconfidence and underestimation of the investigating detective.

That’s how I’ve been watching it, not sure if there’s an alternative. I just watch it on my Xbox because I’m lazy but if you watch it in a browser with an adblocker it’ll skip almost all of the ads.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There are so many great bits where a suspect is surprised to find Columbo knocking on their loving window or sitting in their living room reading a book.

“Oh gee I didn’t mean ta’ impose, but uhhh while I’m here ya mind if I ask a few more questions?”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aardvark! posted:

I always thought the "oh and one more thing" bit was overemphasized but no, he does it multiple times in the same conversation! I think he did it 3 times in one scene in the one I just watched.

It’s a bit of a “Beam me up, Scotty” situation where he doesn’t literally say “oh and one more thing” every time, but oh god yeah he always does that oh btw act as his gotcha. I’ve only seen the first three seasons, but the only time I can recall him breaking his own routine is the Leonard Nimoy one where Columbo gets pissed off and just lays his entire case against him on the table and says he’s coming for him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

Columbia is bad and I’d rather watch Castle

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

They’re really gonna make me give a poo poo about moon knight, aren’t they

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Old people eat this poo poo up.

Yup. My parents will almost certainly watch and love all ten seasons of this godawful show, just like BBT before it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

While complaining about the ethnic character the entire time

Nah, characters like the interpreter in that trailer and Raj from BBT are written to be as completely non-threatening and pathetically lovable as possible just for old white casually racist audiences.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

"He's one of the good ones" right?

That’s essentially what the shows are going for without saying it out loud, yeah. It’s disgusting and it’s pretty much SOP for CBS broadcast shows regardless of genre.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Imagine the sociopathy it takes to ask your wife if you can cheat on her now that you’re famous and try to frame it as both of you having an open relationship

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Klowner posted:

Twin Peaks, Sopranos, Mad Men, True Detective

These, but also if he likes the weirder aspects of Lost then there’s always The X-Files and Fringe. The former is kinda light on serialization half the time, but it’s still one of the best shows of the last thirty years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just wanna hang out with my vaccinated friends for the first time in a literal year while the rest of Texas refuses to vaccinate and continues to pack bars and restaurants like they have for the past year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

You saw the announcement that all adults are eligible starting next week?

Just lol if you think increased eligibility is going to help us deal with the portion of the Texas population who’ve been completely brainwashed for the last four+ years, or the dipshit anti-vaxxer crowd, or the selfish fucks who just plain don’t care and haven’t cared for the last year.

bull3964 posted:

Vaccination means I'm comfortable meeting with others who are vaccinated (or one on one with an unvaccinated person who I know their behavior). It makes me comfortable going to the store masked.

Going into an enclosed space with other strangers for multiple hours or being in crowds unmasked? gently caress to the no. Not until case counts drop to background levels which likely isn't happening this year due idiots being idiots.

This is pretty much where I’m at. I’ll be happy to just hang with vaccinated friends finally and not have panic attacks in crowded stores anymore, but you probably won’t find me at a movie theater, indoor concert, or a baseball game until 2022. And that really sucks, but that’s the way it is now thanks to all the selfish fucks out there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
2021 sucks so far imho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IRQ posted:

Rush Limbaugh got literally everything he wanted.

Yeah, he died about 40 years too late. Damage done.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I would definitely recommend the soundtrack to Inside Llewyn Davis where he actually sings a bunch of the songs.

The ILD soundtrack has been part of my usual rotation since the day I saw it in theaters. I love that movie so much and it’s the reason I’ll give pretty much any Oscar Isaac project a shot.

Sirotan posted:

Thanks to this thread I now feel officially Old. It's 8pm, I'm tired and thinking of going to bed early, and I'm laying here watching Columbo for the first time ever. It's kinda enjoyable?

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble one more thing!

Season 1 is great, there’s only one or two mediocre episodes. Season 2 is even better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I used to really enjoy Superstore but never caught up with it after Mateo was arrested by ICE. Is it worth finishing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Alright, I think I’ve found my favorite example of “Columbo trolls his murder suspect” thus far. Season 3, episode “Double Exposure”; the suspect is out high-stakes golfing with friends and about to take a shot when Columbo comes barreling out of nowhere in a golf cart shouting “Mr. [Suspect]! Oh Mr. [Suspect]!” and then in their resulting conversation only drops his gotcha bombshells as the guy is about to take his shots.

It’s another Robert Culp guest spot too, so it’s a great episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vanderdeath posted:

I know Piesse was part of the franchise beforehand but now it's known she was a willing participant in a sex cult that trafficked women. Even if she feels bad about it now, I feel like the whole sex cult thing should preclude you from being in a Disney show. (All shows imo)

Unless I’m forgetting parts of The Vow, Piesse was one of the cult’s victims and ended up escaping not long after her “initiation” into the actual sex part of the cult.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m watching an episode of Columbo guest-starring Miguel Ferrer’s dad, Jessica Walter, Robby the loving Robot, and a kid character named Steven Spelberg who apparently invented Robby. Also there’s a running gag of Columbo trying to get all these characters to watch his dog while he investigates.

I love this show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love season 4, but the remixed version that Netflix now features is a loving atrocity. It ruins so many great jokes.

If you end up watching season 4, which you should, watch it in the original order which iirc Netflix has now buried in the Trailers & More section.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Season 5 took me three of four tries to finish and I don’t think I can tell you anything about what actually happened in it beyond “extended unfunny Gob is gay joke” and “actually Buster is a murderer somehow”.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My dad bought me some Space: 1999 DVDs a while back and I’m just now going through them, but holy moly does that show have an s-tier intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

I love it, it reminds me of the BSG remake intros.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

because he's the rare example of a good cop:

• exclusively goes after the rich and powerful
  • knows what he's doing
  • doesn't exist

I’m only through the first couple eps of season 4 and Columbo hasn’t really featured many POC characters, but the few times it has they’ve just been treated like any other person on the show. The only exception I’ve seen so far was the last episode I watched, where a black character came looking for a murder victim because they hadn’t shown up to a meeting and when one of the LAPD patrolmen at the scene immediately started accusing and hassling him Columbo came over and told the cop to back off because he didn’t believe the guy had anything to do with the murder.

I mean it’s baby steps and all and maybe I’m reading way too much into it, but for a mid-70s show to 1)have a beat cop show racial bias and 2)have the protagonist of the show call this out as wrong was kinda refreshing. You don’t even consistently get that from modern cop shows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You already had them with Asylum and it was kinda dull

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aardvark! posted:

ah. i've only watched a random selection of the seasons so didn't know. that is a shame, alien horror is my favorite horror.

Tbf, part of the problem was that they were more of a secondary or tertiary antagonist force in that season and most of it was only in the last few episodes. It might be better if they go whole hog and only have aliens.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d be a lot more hyped for new MST3k if they were also going with a brand new host. I like the revival’s Mads and I like the bots now that they’ve found their voices, but uhhhh Jonah sucks. His personality just doesn’t mesh with MST imo. Joel is a tired everyman, and Mike is sarcastic and irreverent, but Jonah just comes off like what he is; a mediocre LA stand-up guy trying way too hard to be funny on Movie Night with his friends.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nah. MST has opening and ending skits, an established setting, and breaks in the movie. Rifftrax doesn’t do any of that, it’s essentially just a running commentary track for the video.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

feedmegin posted:

I don't think most people are watching it for the skits and setting fundamentally though.

Probably not, but I do think having the cheap sets and puppets made from scraps does give the show a unique charm that a lot of other riffing projects lack. It’s not necessary and it’s not the big draw, but it adds something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I used to hate watching 70s poo poo because it always looked so disgusting and lovely and batshit, but now I really dig it for some reason. There’s something really appealing (?) about the clash of played out late-60s design leftovers with the polluted malaise of 70s reality. Even the people look worn down and schlubby, which makes sense given what society had gone through in the 60s and would continue to go through in the 70s.

It’s great, it’s like instant no-effort character for your setting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khanstant posted:

Going to fancy restaurant to get a giant bucket of ice with a half dozen raw strawberries poked in it, this is cuisine!!

edit:

Holy poo poo, the murder scene in the second episode of Columbo is incredible. I love this style, no gore or annoying scream, but you still get the idea of the murder and then we're focused on the killer's face, separate scenes of the aftermath montage taking place entirely on his loving 70s rear end rectangle glasses

Oh yeah, that episode rocks. Every now and then Columbo gets borderline experimental and it’s great.

That killer’s actor, Robert Culp, is in two other episodes and they’re all great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

xerxus posted:

I wouldn't feel too bad.

Will Forte explained what was planned for the cliffhanger, and it's just a reset into the status quo like always.

“[These people] went down [into the bunker] when the virus had first started,” Forte revealed on Vulture‘s Good Ones podcast. “They had some kind of medical expert or scientist who knew, ‘At this certain point, the virus will be dormant. You’ll be safe to get back out,’ and they had reached that point. Then they see a bunch of stragglers — us — and we represent a real threat to them, because they thought [everyone] was dead, so they quarantine us.

“We eventually communicate with them a little bit [and] they get comfortable with us,” he continued. “They look scary but they end up being nice people.”

As was tradition for the show, among the bunker people probably would have been one or two famous guest stars, à la Jon Hamm, “and eventually we’d all get comfortable with each other,” before they freed at least one of the survivors from quarantine. That, in turn, would have proven to be a fatal mistake. “We are immune to the virus, but we’re carriers. And so we would infect them and they’d die like wildfire,” Forte revealed, “and then we’re back to just our little group, and maybe one famous [guest star] we could talk into staying around.” All told, that arc would have lasted “four or five episodes.”

So almost exactly what happened half a dozen times already on the show. I’m really glad I never bothered watching past season 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
gently caress Morrissey

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My favorite pastime in the Trek/Wars/MCU threads is to immediately pump the brakes and dampen people’s expectations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Behind the Bastards just did a two-part episode on Dr. Oz and it’s uh wow

what the hell man

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

muscles like this! posted:

Finn Wittrock has been cast as Guy Gardner for HBO Max's Green Lantern series. The article has more details on the series than I had seen before, mainly that it is going to take place over decades starting with Alan Scott in the 40s and moving forward in time with other Lanterns. Specifically Wittrock's Guy Gardner will be Earth's Green Lantern in the 1980s.

The older I get the less I can stand Guy, so sure why not who cares.

Kyle was my intro to comics GL anyway and John was my favorite in the Justice League cartoon, so it figures that DC would continue to ignore both of them. Probably better off that way anyhow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Baskets ranked below loving Big Bang Theory, gently caress that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IRQ posted:

I didn't think Guy Fieri's show was about turning around failing restaurants though, just highlighting shitholes people already liked?

Yeah, Guy just shows up and samples their popular dishes and peaces out. Although I do remember in the early days a couple of tiny local places that got famous couldn’t handle the new attention and had to close because their food standards slipped in an effort to try and keep up with demand.

Not necessarily Guy’s fault though, and the past year has shown that he’s probably one of the most decent human beings on Food Network.