Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

I lay it squarely on the shoulders of that fucker that blamed the sexual assaults on the women. I can't believe he had the gall to say "Well they shouldn't have taken their shirts off" right to the camera. gently caress that guy.

And also you know, gently caress Moby. Seems like he's an rear end in a top hat too, but for entirely different reasons.

I’m actually watching the doc right now and it just got to this interview. Imagine the loving ego and lack of empathy to say something like that on the loving record and clearly not give a poo poo.

On the lighter less-horrifying side, I can’t stop giggling at all the pictures of dumb white guys covered in literal poo poo that they thought was mud. I’ve seen that a couple times at big festivals, but never to that oblivious extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
All I care about is the return of that one article series where two writers try out every lovely tourist trap restaurant in NYC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

muscles like this! posted:

gently caress all other TV news because the most important announcement was made today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD45qe7O1U0
Joe Pera s3 this fall.

Heck yes, I genuinely think this show has become one of my all-time favorites. Like top 10 at least.

Also, crossing over with house chat, but Joe’s house on the show seems extremely cozy and great. It’s got that wood-paneled bedroom, the old person living room, and a bean arch in the backyard. It’s lovely!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1423039293564628994?s=21

but why

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not only does he seem like a terrible uninteresting pick, but it also completely kills any enthusiasm I had for watching post-Trebek Jeopardy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Even if you don’t pick Burton the obvious choice really seemed like Ken Jennings. He’s boring and safe, but he has a following and obviously he’s super familiar with being on the show since he’s a former champion and he’s been guest-hosting for a while now.

I watched the show pretty religiously until Trebek died and I don’t know who the hell Whitey McProducer-gently caress is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

That Paramount+ deal seems like a reaction to the 77 episode deal Warner (soon to be Discovery) has with Rick and Morty.

A streaming service arms race with each side mass-producing South Park or Rick & Morty sounds like a particularly obnoxious realm of hell.

I know a guy who’s sense of humor is permanently stuck in 2008 and he is going to be ecstatic at this news.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Compare them to Derrick Comedy, where Don Glover had a great career after and it’s honestly a bit surprising. Don Glover is great but when you look at the sketches a lot of Derrick Comedy was a similar style but relied more on shock (spelling bee comes to mind). WKUK just usually took a premise and just committed to it. It’s why one-joke skits like Gallon of PCP and Business Sniper work.

That supreme committal to the dumb premises of the skits is why WKUK always reminded me of Kids in the Hall more than anything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sirotan posted:

This is some absolute bullshit:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1425504216165097476

Generic White Guy sexual harasser host and anti-vax rape apologist as the emcee. Don't think I'll be watching Jeopardy anymore.

:same: Yeah, gently caress that. I’ve been a big Jeopardy! fan since I was a kid, but those two are just the worst possible hosts. Even if LeVar was wrong for it, I’d have rather had the loving football player or Ken Jennings take the hosting duties over a bland ringer suit and a dipshit anti-vaxxer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Thanks to this thread, all I know about White Lotus is dong and poop

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Every fantasy tv show/movie is just desaturated “people standing on a hill in Scotland/NZ and sometimes a soundstage dressed like a castle” now and it doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

Give me the crazy interplanar poo poo my DM uses in our sessions. :colbert:

ed: I’m stupid and just now realized I mistook this thread for the Streaming thread that’s talking about Wheel of Time right now. :doh:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 18, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just watched the first episode of Columbo. Was pretty satisfying watching the Dr.'s best laid plans just fall apart over the course of an hour and a half. Not sure how well the show will hold up over 10 seasons though if this is the format.

I’m on season 6 now and the formula has started to become a bit stale, but Falk as Columbo is still consistently excellent and makes the show worth watching.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

It's also an advantage, not having to cut away to a weird angle for the stunt double really does add something to the scene. Him hanging on the outside of a plane during a long tracking shot was loving badass, and it wouldn't have been nearly as cool if it was greenscreened or if it was closeups of his face in a wind tunnel cut with long shots of a stunt man doing it. So, while I'm sure he's doing it partially out of ego and thrill-seeking, it does benefit the production.

It benefits the production... until he injures himself in the process and they have to shut down for a month or so while their lead star recovers and the budget inflates because of delays.

Unless you’re peak-90s Jackie Chan or some other legit martial artist and/or stuntman there’s no reason for some a-list celebrity to do this poo poo other than to stroke a massive ego. Stuntmen exist for a reason and they know how to do these things (relatively) safely.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I watched Dirty Work for the first time tonight as tribute and it’s amazing how little Norm tried to actually act. He’s just doing his usual thing and it’s loving great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The fact that Koenig is a really sweet old man makes it even funnier. Surely someone somewhere in the production process must have noticed and for whatever reason decided not to tell him.

Or maybe he’s in on the joke.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zero One posted:

Adult Swim has replaced Family Guy with Joe Pera.

An excellent choice.

:hmmyes:

Joe confirmed season 3 is happening a while back and I genuinely think it’s my most anticipated tv thing. Maybe second only to For All Mankind season 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khanstant posted:

On the softer end Office and Superstore both had episodes that were potentially the spark of a spinoff. Office tried a Dwight show and Superstore was trying to do a Cheyenne/Bo, but those still featured more regular characters than new potential ones and if you didn't know would seem like episodes just heavily focused on a side cast member.

I never kept up with Superstore, but I can’t imagine a Cheyenne/Bo centric show being remotely watchable.

I probably would have watched the Dwight spinoff, though. Rainn Wilson deserves an easy paycheck and that detective show he did post-Office was not a good fit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nah.

Nah.

You made some poor and bizarre choices, my dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Really? Casting a star to headline a big budget Hollywood movie seems like a strange choice to you?

When the movie is about an extremely fake-Italian plumber, yes. You could plug any of those cast members into any other role in the film and it wouldn’t matter one bit because they’re just there for name recognition. The whole list reads like a loving Robot Chicken or Family Guy bit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gaius Marius posted:

The two Jakes already exists. It's not great but it's too bad the third film never got made

I watched it a couple years ago and was shocked by how much I didn’t hate it. It’s aggressively fine, but I’ve watched much worse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
To me JMS will always be “that guy who wrote a comic where Superman weighs whether or not to expose a bunch of illegal immigrants but decides not to only after they prove their worth to the community”.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my loving god, remember that super weird Dean Norris sitcom about taking in an afghan interpreter?

https://twitter.com/andrewneville/status/1443377679538049027?s=19

There’s gonna be real powerful “Dr Doom crying while looking at Ground Zero” energy from this Very Special Episode

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s really weird to me that they’re just gonna continue the show without her instead of just ending it. Especially after everyone involved had previously intimated or stated outright that the show was nearing an end now that the coma seasons are done with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s something almost perverse about a show doing a spin-off that’s set in the same decade in which the original show actually aired.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nate fisher posted:

It is funny on my Sopranos and Mad Men re-watches I did read the recaps as I watched from the books that were released.

I love that companion books for tv shows have kinda made a(n albeit small) comeback. A lot of what they used to cover has been replaced by wikis now, but it’s nice to have a small write-up for each episode that’s half analysis and half behind the scenes info. I’ve been watching Columbo while reading through the Columbophile book and it really takes me back to the days of poring through all the various Star Trek companions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

It’s like a loving 30 Rock throwaway gag

I can literally hear Alec Baldwin excitedly mentioning it and then Tina Fey makes a face and decides not to tell him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I haven’t been this excited about a new season of a show in years

https://twitter.com/josephpera/status/1453004416483790855?s=21

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nate fisher posted:

I want to see Paulie Walnuts make an appearance.

I want the inevitable tag-team sequel where Amethyst and Paulie Walnuts get to fuse mid-battle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you’re ff’ing through half of a show, why even bother watching it at that point? It’s clearly not enjoyable, so why waste the time?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean, it’s still a gendered slur. American or not, it’s easy to understand why some folks aren’t cool with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Lmao that lowtax is trending on twitter and 99% of it is still people ripping on him

rest in piss lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I haven’t watched the finale yet, but I really don’t think it’s as bad as everyone here and in the streaming thread has made it out to be. The colonist stuff sucks but the Lee Pace & Co. genetic dynasty plots have been legitimately interesting and the show itself is kinda pretty. I don’t know why goons tend to be particularly hyperbolic about mediocre sci-fi, but I’ve watched far worse.

I did finish Midnight Mass tonight though, and you should definitely watch that before spending any time with Foundation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

theblackw0lf posted:

TV Critic Choice Award noms

http://criticschoice.com/2021/12/television-nominations-announced-for-the-27th-annual-critics-choice-awards/

Here’s drama

Evil

For All Mankind

The Good Fight

Pose

Squid Game

Succession

This Is Us

Yellowjackets

For All Mankind 100%, but it’ll probably be This Is Us or The Good Fight because no one actually watches FAM outside of this forum.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t think I’ll ever anticipate a season of a show more than For All Mankind season 3 because it’ll apparently be set in and around Houston/Seabrook/Clear Lake circa 1995 and that is absolute nostalgia crack for me.

My little backyard slice of Houston is gonna be featured in a tv show and set during my childhood. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

That's great, the RG thread is a lot of fun during the season so now you can join in.

I went through all of the McBride/Hill shows a couple of years ago and Gemstones is easily the most complete, least "Danny McBride" series they've done. Walton Goggins, my god. John Goodman is putting in some Emmy level performances as well, he's so good.

Why on earth would anyone want less Danny McBride in their Hill/McBride show :wtc:

RG is good, but it’s a very different beast from Vice Principals or E&D. I’ll watch it, but I don’t think I’ll ever revisit it as often as the other two.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really enjoyed the new show and this cancellation really sucks. Fuckin’ nerds always pile hate on poo poo that doesn’t deserve the reaction and end up ruining things for everyone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just get your booster and go to early bird shows. Obviously stay home if you’re immune-compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I showed my whole family the TLC Tugger episode of How To with John Wilson last New Year’s Eve and it was the hardest I’ve ever laughed at other people’s reactions.