Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Watched a few episodes of Sealab 2021 tonight and it's always interesting watching with someone without the same nostalgia for it. My wife hadn't seen it until I introduced her to it when we first started dating and by that time (2012-13ish) some of it had already gotten stale. Tonight we watched 5 or 6 eps and in every single one Debbie was unambiguously slutty and played up for laughs in one way or another. Quinn's race is almost always brought up even though they do recognize him as the most brilliant scientist on the station. Despite all that I still find Der Dieb and Stimutacs loving hilarious.

Hilarious show but definitely from a different time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Croatoan posted:

And I tried for the 4th time to get into The Expanse and bounced off hard. I think I need to give up. I really wanna get into it but it doesn't grab me. I'm broken.

Don't ever be ashamed of your broke brain, we all have our issues to overcome.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ramy is really good but also really infuriating. People who feel like they need to actually like the main character of whatever they're watching will hate it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Looten Plunder posted:

I get that this has never been a realistic show but the end of episode 3 annoyed me. The next episode better not end with her just back in the dungeon. It's already been established that she is a ton stronger than him. How on earth could/would she let him drag her all the way back to the house and down to the dungeon?

Also, I kind of hope she actually escapes in the next couple of episodes. My favourite stuff is having them all argue/interact with each other and having them seperate at the moment kills some of he magic.

Also, having recently watched the first three sesaons, I was really surprised the selfie at the border never played into the plot. I thought that was going to be one of their undoings/hurdles but it was never spoken of again.

Yeah I agree about the end of ep3, but I thought they at least made it pretty clear that everybody else is figuring out something isn't quite right and will be forming up a new Search Party pretty soon, so her escaping on their own would make that kind of pointless.

I like this 3 episodes at a time release schedule. I hope more shows get creative with how they get released, especially if they can sync it up to plot points and have it feel like more natural pauses. But that kind of begs the question of why are they even limiting shows to specific runtimes anymore.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Simone Magus posted:

A show that releases 3 episodes a week... but not in sequential order :getin:

Ah, mixing in the Fox method. Clever!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's low cringe in my opinion. It's more laughing at bad decisions made by stupid people for the first couple seasons. The 3rd and 4th season make it seem more like everybody in the entire world is absolutely insane, so maybe their decisions in the first couple seasons weren't quite as unrealistic as we maybe thought. I imagine everybody in this universe finds themselves in increasingly complex crises on a regular basis.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I never thought I wanted a Chantal episode but it's kind of amazing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If they're relocating the ghosts of settlers off of Native American burial grounds that's be totally my jam.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Mr Mayor has been surprisingly good in my opinion. I was totally prepared to hate it and I don't even really know why. Maybe it's because they assembled all this talent with Tina Fey, Bobbie Moynahan, and Ted Danson and I felt like they must be just going for names over quality, but it's probably the best actual sitcom on the air right now. Granted the only other one I actually watch is Superstore, but I can say with confidence Mr. Mayor is better than Superstore at least.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just watched all three episodes so far this evening and yeah it's pretty drat fun! Was a little disappointed at the very end of ep3 though. I guess it's not surprising for them to go that route but it seems too soon to me.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I watched Resident Alien on demand on the atttvnow app. It works pretty well now that I'm the only subscriber left!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That kind of just sounds like gamers playing video games.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
When you talk about Lance Reddick how the gently caress do you not mention The Eric Andre Show or Corporate? I mean yeah, one of those was just a single appearance, but it was an ICONIC BLACK ROLE!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seriously so many people in The Wire have moved on to other roles that it really makes me sad for the dude who played Bodie. I thought he killed it as that character and seeing how well everybody else did I'm a little surprised that he didn't find similar success.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Davros1 posted:

Detroiters.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Glad to see that people other than me are enjoying Resident Alien! I thought they were going a completely different direction when the operatives showed up in ep 2 or 3 but I'm happy to have been wrong.

I think we were so spoiled with so much good stuff over the last little while that shows like this could easily have flown way under the radar. Nice to hear that ratings are decent, I'm definitely in for as many episodes of alien swearing and murder threats as they're willing to throw at me.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I watched up to like the 3rd or 4th episode this season then kind of forgot about it. I guess at my most generous I'd say it seemed better than the 2nd season, which isn't saying much, though I did miss Orlando Jones. I'll probably catch up with it once it's done. Is it done?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yep, lots of love for Warrior around here! Not surprising it reminds you of Banshee since it's made by a lot of the same people.

I've been rewatching Banshee over the last week or so and finally got to season 4 today. I'm about 3 episodes in and it's a lot better than I remember it being. When it first came out I wasn't a huge fan of the changes (not that they were all their fault or anything) but as part of a binge watch it's not bad at all. Other than Hood's beard/hair, which is really really bad.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 14, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of Snowfall and it didn't really grab me at all. I know that's not really a fair sample size, but does it get better? Or if I didn't like it much after that point is it pretty much just not for me?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Mu Zeta posted:

All the actors come back but play different characters, including Daniel Craig.

Would love to see Michael Shannon with the Foghorn Leghorn accent.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Wut?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This discussion reminds me that I really need to rewatch Continuum because I barely remember anything about it other than that it kicks rear end.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh poo poo there's two episodes of Lucifer up right now. I thought the new season wasn't coming until later in the Summer.

edit: or maybe the entire rest of season 5 is up? For some reason it only looked like ep9 & 10 were up when I first looked.

Either way I'm glad to have it back!!

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 28, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You heard wrong. Lucifer is cool and good.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah that's fair.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't hate Panic so far, but it's got maybe the worst 35y/o posing as a high school senior ever. I don't know how old the actor actually is but drat if he doesn't look at least that old to me.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Open Source Idiom posted:

That Nicholson's son? I thought he was the best thing about the show, which might explain why they cast someone so obviously older.

I just couldn't get into the show tbh. I made it about two episodes and gave up.

Oh dang it does kind of look like him, so maybe. I had no idea Nicholson had a son who was an actor. And yeah I'm not super invested in this but I have a hard time dropping shows unless something better comes along and nothing has in the last 4 or 5 hours, so here I am on episode 5. It's really not terrible though. It's not great by any means, but some of the performances are decent and the writing isn't completely awful.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Has any Starz original series ever really gotten widespread recognition though? I loved Black Sails but the only people I know who've watched it are the people I told about it. Same with Spartacus.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Yeah I got that too. My hbomax account is not even through the email address that arrived at though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Do you have to start your 2 months immediately or can you choose when to activate the subscription?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
He's 100% already portrayed that way, other than the raging, mean alcoholic part.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

X-O posted:

Luigi died for our sins.

Oh poo poo, Luigi died? Usually find these things out in the schad thread

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Man that first episode of Ultra City Smiths sure was something. Should have expected something likethe songtoward the end but it really caught me by surprise and was delightful. I didn't think Conrad could out-Conrad himself after Perpetual Grace but I think he's done it.

Only thing that's kind of throwing me off is that some of the voices sound a little off. Am I crazy or is Luis Guzman pitched up a little bit and Jimmi Simpson pitched down maybe? It's not to an unnatural level so maybe it's just a choice they made but that's not how I'm normally used to hearing them. Or maybe I'm also not used to them performing as voice actors so it could just be that I don't have their physical appearance to match up to their performance. Not a big deal though, just something that came to mind while I was watching.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
AMC+ but I think the real answer is :filez:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
By the end of the first season we'll need half a dozen threads like GOT or The Expanse. Might as well get started now.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really liked Weeds up until the 3rd or 4th season. I remember a season that revolved around a tunnel to Mexico? Maybe that was the 4th season. Then at some point there was an episode devoted to butter sculptures and I think that was when I just stopped paying attention.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't even know how many times I've rewatched season 1 of Patriot but Double Great just kills me every single time. Season 2 was awesome and had some great songs as well but man, Double Great. ugh

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Obligatory mention that The Mick was also great and it sucks that it didn't get a 3rd season.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Brand New Cherry Flavor is uh... not what I expected it to be after I watched the first episode last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I never saw the trailer, the first I heard about it was in this thread when roomtone said they were burned out on hollywood being bad stories. Well this is not that. It's bizarre and occasionally funny/scary/intense, I don't really know how to describe it without spoiling a bunch of stuff.

edit: This is probably not helpful unless you've read Library at Mount Char, but the tone of this show reminds me a lot of that book for some reason. Nothing about the specific plot or characters really, just the tone. Kind of weird.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 15, 2021