Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEQ5Lj-cXM

Intrigued. The source material is great and FX doesnt really pull punches for content so I'm curious to see how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

Hm! Nothing in the Y trailer looks bad (except perhaps the dialogue of "Which one?" "All of them!"), but if I didn't love the comic I can't say that I'd be particularly interested after watching that trailer. It could just be how it was cut, but the tone seems off to me. The comic is very wry and often quite funny, and I wasn't getting any of that from the trailer.

yea im seeing the same sentiments in other spots, but I think at this point we have to acknowledge that The Walking Dead really changed the picture of the "Post-Apocalypse" style so maybe they're gunna bite on that for the trailer and maybe the first season, being a bit more dour and serious, but then it picks up further along and we get into the funnier side of the story. Or maybe that's just the trailer and the tone is totally different in a full episode.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah I think White Lotus is what’s gonna push me over the edge to finally watch Enlightened. I NEED more Mike White written stuff.

Oh its that Mike White, the teacher dude from School of Rock. interesting.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://youtu.be/rtipQ3EsGWo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

White Lotus was like 75% boring, 20% enjoyable and 5% great. Not really sure of it’s purpose but it at least filled in those weird “what did you do over the weekend” convos at work I guess.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6998139152562769157

New It's Always Sunny season is going to be great

for those without tiktok or dont want to venture into those waters:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

taco show posted:

^agreed. I also watched Beatriz at Dinner and it's the exact same vibe.

Every book featured in White Lotus

gently caress, thats exactly what it reminded me of. That was not coming up in my brain for the longest time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im always up for more conspiracy chatter. love that bullshit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Finally watched the four seasons of Better Call Saul after being burnt out on breaking bad for a bit. Good show, looking forward to the next season now that Bob is back at it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Escobarbarian posted:

Good news: there’s five seasons out right now!

oh is there? I only saw 4 on Netflix, guess I'll look for season 5.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Goddamn Heels is a great show. Gunna be real sad when it turns into an unexpected “one and done” mini-series. That Starz ineptitude where you just expect a hot show right out of the gate and don’t let anything grow or anything like that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

not only is the drama so great in Heels I'd say its purposefully amped up like that because of its influences. its just a lot of cheesy fun.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRCMPMGDN00

Hell yea

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like it, but that’s too bad. It’s probably also very expensive. Huge cast, lots of extras and locations spanning within the show across the country. If the walking dead is estimated 3mill per episode I can only imagine Y was a big initial investment.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/history-of-the-world-part-ii-series-hulu-mel-brooks-nick-kroll-wanda-sykes-1235091840/

quote:

Brooks is a writer and executive producer on the series along with Nick Kroll, Wanda Sykes, Ike Barinholtz, David Stassen and Kevin Salter. There is no word yet on which world events the series will cover. Hulu has ordered eight episodes of the show. The writers room is beginning in October with production slated to begin in Spring 2022. Searchlight Television and 20th Television will produce.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/why-was-y-the-last-man-canceled-1235033351/

quote:

Ultimately, FX brass declined to pay $3 million to further extend options on the Y cast as execs did not want to leave the cast in limbo yet again. The cancellation decision was, per sources, not based on viewership figures as Hulu, like other streamers, does not release traditional ratings data. That means FX had little to no data on which to evaluate the series, including how it performed in its entirety over a certain timeframe, etc. While sources note there had been a drop-off among viewers on the FX on Hulu hub, it's worth pointing out that mid-series declines are not uncommon as viewers have shifted to binge watching entire seasons of a show.

"Without COVID, the show would have been on a different clock," notes one source of the timing of the cancellation decision.

Just a whole bunch of horrible things coming up one after another killed the show. crazy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

quote:

“I say sometimes that showrunning is basically just laying your body over the show and trying to protect it as you take 10,000 swords into your back,” Judkins told me wearily one day over the phone. He said he'd had his assistant keep track of how many suggestions Amazon had had, just for the pilot. In the end “we got 11,000 notes,” Judkins said. Actual number. “Even if I only do like a 10th of those, that's still like multiple notes per second,” he said. Executives had questions about individual shots and how the show was depicting magic. They had questions about style and tone. And they were friendly questions, but they were also infinite, and every time Judkins got one—usually while he was on some faraway set full of new and different problems to solve—he had to consider whether it was worth doing or whether to dig in. “It's very hard to take your little precious kernel of an idea and deliver it at the end of the production-and-notes process,” he said.

DYING.

11,000 thousand notes just on the pilot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’ve had the very very sad experience of watching a showrunner I like deflate in real time under the weight of studio pressure, going from very sparkly and bubbly on his first showrunner job to husk-like by season wrap.

Yeesh, its really bad in all creative fields waiting for and receiving loads of feedback (especially late feedback that in my field I often get sucker punched by) but I cant even imagine show/movie production. just seems insurmountable.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spalec posted:

Why were real bullets anywhere on the set at all?

probably for close-ups and texture shots.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

swickles posted:

I decided to rewatch Cowboy Bebop in anticipation of the new series. I first started watching it on Hulu and after a while saw it was on Netflix. Why is the version on Netflix so much higher quality than the Hulu version. For some reason the Hulu version looks like they got the source video from a lovely torrent site in 2003 while the Netflix version looks good. At first I thought it might be a device issue, but even on the same TV there is a huge difference.

Hulu’s backend for streaming suuuuuucks. I have a friend who used to work there (ended up leaving for much greener, less messy as hell pastures when there was large exodus last year) and said out of all the streaming services and the talent running the whole drat system they were the worst in most regards. Netflix and Apple definitely got the best tech tho.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btu0O47u3rY
https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1454520193066078210?s=20

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1455899509159075848

Hell yes!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/alwayssunny/status/1455958848976478209?s=20

they're back! cant wait for the new season.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looten Plunder posted:

Is this even a thing people/kids do/did?

I definitely didn’t gently caress a couch cushion. I adamantly say I never hosed a pillow or couch cushion.

But I had a friend in middle school who during a sleep over explained how he masturbated by sliding his dick between a folded pillow. This is how I learned about masturbation.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Banshee. 100%, that's a perfect way to describe it. Jett too, despite having a female protagonist. And Warrior, and my dad would definitely recommend Strike Back (the only one I haven't seen myself). Hey, those are all Cinemax shows!

Hap and Leonard has been on my short list of shows to watch for years, and I've just never gotten around to it.

Goddamn the golden moment of action television when we were getting Strike Back, Banshee and Quarry all at once and no one was really watching, but Jesus did Cinemax knock is completely out of the park (well maybe not Banshee S4 which was abysmal and not my canon ending and the abrupt cancellation of Quarry which I will never forgive. Just a drat shame).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alright I’m on the Invasion train. It is molasses slow but I am entertained regardless. Just something about impending, slow broiling alien doom is entertaining.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://youtu.be/rTGQiJ6sAxU

These 8 episodes are going to fly by.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm really into Netflix wasting money. just really really into this idea.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Slamhound posted:

Sarah is the most fascinating character in Joe Pera Talks To You. Is she schizophrenic?

Hmm, I don’t think so. Maybe bi-polar? Tho she’s certainly hurdling towards Covid being her thing she’s sensing that’s coming for the end of the season. Then I guess we wait for the next season to see how she handles that. Though it’s Sarah Connor so she’s prepared regardless.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cowboy-bebop-canceled-netflix-1235060256/

quote:

Insiders pointed out Netflix’s renewal rate for scripted series that have two or more seasons stands at 60 percent, in line with industry averages, and, like all Netflix renewal verdicts, the decision was made by balancing the show’s viewership and cost. The streamer also prides itself on taking big swings on projects like Cowboy Bobop and has many other genre shows on the air and in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought it was already renewed for s2 but I'm probably mixing it up with another big budget show like the LotR show or Wheel of Time. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong and confused.

Either way lol

yea Wheel of Time got a second season order while the first is in post production