Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Hell, when Cheyenne Cinnamon aired I think it specifically aired as just a weird dead pilot on one of their pilot nights, which made the later Squidbillies references weird meta stuff even at the time.

For Southern stuff, even though they eventually made Dan Halen a literal incarnation of evil, I liked the early depiction of the relatively small businessman who somehow ran the entire town. I felt heard after "her uncle owns the big car wash" was enough to make someone in my high school untouchable. Also Early getting deep into convenience store video poker.

Shame about Unknown Hinson. I honestly thought his parody songs were kind of fun too, since he's basically been playing an Early style character for years. Except apparently it wasn't really all parody. I'd like to know if it was the old chestnut of irony just being a smokescreen or if his brain broke in the last couple of years. On the bright side, they already replaced two voice actors on the show so if they need to replace him it's not like it's unprecedented. They'll just have to do another trip to the clone farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

how does the basketball net help with Lupin's escape from prison?

He uses it to make a harness around himself to fake the hanging. He tied the noose into it and it spread the weight and force out across his shoulders and back. I think it was in some Elementary/Sherlock Holmes thing too, which is why I recognized it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I only watched an episode or two, but it's really bland. It's a total waste of Goggins. It reminds me of when they tied up Margo Martindale on an aggressively terrible sitcom for years.

Mu Zeta posted:

I love how CBS is airing MacGyver and Magnum PI and apparently a show that's just called FBI. The gently caress is that. What's next on the docket, Lawyer Show?

Note that they loved FBI so much that they immediately added FBI: Most Wanted to run alongside it.

I'm assuming that they're going to mess up the Clarice show. And this Equalizer reboot's pretty bad. Love hiring a lead who needs 40 cuts in a simple action scene because she can't sell it. And maybe the worst explosion effect I've seen for a few years.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Any thoughts on Debris?

It didn't really grab me and I kept getting bored and distracted. I'm trying to decide if I was just in an off mood and should give it a rewatch later, since new Fringe has been on my wishlist for awhile.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

mistermojo posted:

the thing I don't understand about The Shield is why Vic needs money for his kids so badly. Wasnt he involved with the gangs and getting his cut? what happened to that? it doesnt really show him wasting money on anything

On top of Vic caring more about the status and being a power player, I think the vague background thing they explain at some point is that all the cool crimes gang money went into their slush fund and barely got touched except for other dirty money needs. Also, there's some mention, I think, after the stuff with the Money Train that they're going to heavily cut back on nickel and dime bribes so that they don't get busted. Their whole thing was that they'd be the smart corrupt cops and just lay low until they could get a nice early retirement.

The bigger thing would probably be that a semi-active/busy nurse and a cop with a shitload of overtime would be fine anyway, but eh, it's TV.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I thought two of his kids had autism and he wanted to send them to an expensive private school with more resources for that. I vaguely remember they had some anti-vax plot where Vic and Corinne want to sue the vaccine manufacturers, but then their lawyer friend tells them "no, that's loving stupid, you're just wasting your money" and then it's never brought up again. That was actually a pretty good resolution.

Also, he's a cop, so you know.

The anti-vax plotline was a little more of a punch in the gut for them. They want to sue and get told that they're being stupid and just want someone to blame (the show didn't toy with genuine anti-vax stuff for too long). They sign onto a lawsuit anyway and their expensive, good doctor drops their autistic son from her care and the effective trial program he was going into on the grounds of "lol, you really thought you could sue the company and still get admitted into their really exclusive trial that I'm running."

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I gave up after 2 episodes. Might have to give it one more try...

If you'd got time, definitely give a later episode like "Respect in the Workplace" a try. It was the first episode I saw and it hooked me a lot more than I think the first episode or 2 would have after I went back and checked the rest of the series. It's just firing on all cylinders and it's not like there's a lot of backstory you need to know.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Any good true crime recommendations anybody?

Off the top of my head I've watched:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Mindhunter (ok only kind of true crime)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

Evil Genius is decent. It's about that bank robbery where they strapped a bomb to the guy neck's. It goes on for too many episodes, and the last episode is based way too much on prison snitch gossip, but it's a good ride up until then.

Murder Mountain is also good, even though it's a split doc. It's about the Humbolt County weed growers and is divided between giving a history of the region and their struggle during legalization while also covering a muder case and its fallout. It's a nice mix of history and drama with some comedy mixed in from the modern day growers. There's a dude who tries to act like he's Walter White when he's obviously some nobody and his story ends up being interesting.

Both on Netflix.

I'm hoping that This is a Robbery is good but I'm a little worried that they're going to stretch it too much.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mae posted:

speaking of Kevin Bacon crime shows, you guys remember The Following? My favorite part was when he fell into every single trap that the murder cult set for him, only to be miraculously saved

As it kept getting worse and worse I hung on to the idea that they promised that the storyline would at least wrap up after 1 season and that any following season would be a new case. I was a teenager at the time and watching it with family, and we kicked off the finale by promising that we'd never watch it again if the main dude lived. As the fire started, there was a collective sigh as we knew he'd emerge alive at the end.

The closest I ever got to that again was How I Met Your Mother.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm still not sure I see the point in a Last of Us series, other than it being a name. The only really notable thing about the game is how it blended the gameplay stuff into the story.

Vanderdeath posted:

I can't blame that lady for being so annoyed about the situation. It feels like a large portion of the media about black people nowadays is about either slavery, injustices, racism and other societal wrongs and it is honestly loving exhausting. We could have all manner of various programs written and created by black authors and showrunners but what largely gets greenlit are things about the aforementioned topics.

It might seem silly to dismiss that woman's response but I'm starting to feel the same kind of frustration she seems to be experiencing. At some point there has to be diminishing returns on yet another piece of media "exploring" black people suffering.

I'm not sure if the tweets are too much or not, but after checking this review it definitely seems like her biggest issue is that she wrote all of this down back when Antebellum came out (she put out a scathing review for it that addressed the same problems). So seeing Them pop up probably struck her with bad deja vu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Oasx posted:

I just noticed that Netflix is making an Archive 81 show premiering in january, i'm a big fan of the podcast so I hope it will be good.

Bumping this because I'm really curious how they're going to handle it if it goes long. There's a ridiculous shift in the second season and I'm wondering if they're going to follow it through. I liked it off and on in season 1 but Season 2 made me dump it faster than just about anything I've listened to. Season 1 was decent enough, even if it wasn't really special. The side stories were the best part and from the description I'm not sure if they're going to do any of them.

It'd be nice if one of these podcast-to-TV things worked out though. Limetown sucked, right? It may as well have come out on WhatTimeIsItRightNow.com and then I heard bad things so I never checked.