Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The latest episode of Clarice directly addressed the transphobic elements of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. I was not expecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Is this a dig at The Wire, because if you think The Wire is copaganda I feel like you've not actually watched it.

pentyne posted:

the entire point of The Wire is that the policing system is completely broken and crime solving is practically an unintended side effect hth
The Wire is absolutely copaganda and the entire point is that individual cops can’t be held responsible for the system and when individual cops are at fault the you have to trust the system.

When Freddie Gray was murdered by Baltimore police, David Simon told rioters to go home.

gently caress The Wire.

Edit for clarification: The Wire exists in the West Wing universe.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 18, 2021

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I have no idea how you can watch that show and think that at any point it says that you have to trust the system

Edit: I think there's a conversation to be had about whether or not it's interested in any kind of solution, and whether or not every cop inside the system is culpable, but comparing it to the West Wing is way off the mark.
The cops are the system. How does that escape you? Does every cop have to be culpable before they’re considered bad?

Blaming “The System” is exactly how the cops who are the system excuse their murderous behavior.

I’m glad you realize The West Wing is poo poo, but it is absolutely in the same universe.

Escobarbarian posted:

An unbelievably horrible take. One of the worst I’ve seen in this subforum

David Simon should stop tweeting though
Why should he stop tweeting?

Has he said something that would show that he’s part of the very system he claims to oppose?

Like maybe telling the people of Baltimore that they should stop objecting to the murderous cops who murder black people? Like telling people they should go home instead of objecting to when a bunch of cops murder a guy in a nickel ride?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not gonna argue about politics with you in this TVIV thread, but the show does not depict the system as anything less than completely busted, nor does it excuse the actions of any bad actors in there - the cops aren't the system, they are one part of it, and any good intentions in there are constantly quashed by how busted everything is, to the point where one of the main characters has to invent a serial killer to get anyone to care about actual murders. It's also worth noting the clear distinction between homicide detectives and beat cops, which is also something that is a core part of showing how busted the system is. No, it doesn't really suggest that abolition should be the ultimate goal, but calling it copaganda is absurd.

Nothing is solved by giving an impassioned speech and appealing to intelligence like what constantly happens in West Wing.
Not wanting to argue about politics while taking about The Wire is absolute bullshit.

Claiming that The System is busted is a major feature of copaganda. It allows individual cops to do “whatever it takes” to get the job done. Things like inventing a serial killer. But it’s not their fault, it’s The System.

Differentiating between detectives and beat cops is another sleight-of-hand that allows you to both blames cops and absolve cops. Which of them is The System? Whichever one you want. Why would a clear distinction between the two even matter unless you’re trying to show that one of them is busted?

And as far as impassioned West Wing speeches is concerned, Hamsterdam is the liberal embodiment of “Let’s try this so long as it proves that we shouldn’t have tried this.”

An impassioned speech that comes to nothing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

This is what Simon said in the middle of rioting over Freddie Gray's death

This was also echoed by Gray's family by the way. So gently caress them too I guess. Essentially the point is that riots are used for justification to not give people what they're asking for.

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1141552995563462656?s=19

This “brick in the hand” bullshit would be more convincing if cops didn’t have guns. Or if Freddie Gray had actually done something wrong.

People don’t get what they want without riots.

Simon is a bootlicker.

As far as Gray’s family is concerned? They’re trying to survive.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Hamsterdam is presented as an alternative to War on Drugs policing, and it gets shut down despite showing good results because of PR. You have actually seen the Wire yes?

In other words, “Let’s try this so long as it proves that we shouldn’t have tried this.”

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Well yeah, but Simon's post was made at a time when people had the right eyes and ears on them. He even says they should carry on protesting but that rioting is going to kill any support they might have a chance of getting, which is what happened.

Maybe he feels different about it now given it was ten years ago in 2019, but it's hardly some damning indictment of Simon. Can rioting work? Of course it can. But I'm not going to drag someone for recognising when it won't.

The idea that it’s people who start riots and not the cops is straight up fascist bullshit.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah, I don't think you've seen it.

The danger of sitting around in political doomthreads chanting "hellworld, hellworld, hellworld" at each other is that it gives you brain worms that gaslight you into thinking that the Wire is pro-police.
Copaganda isn’t a matter of being pro-police, it’s insisting that the police are necessary.

Also, that’s not what gaslight means.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Answer this question directly: Have you seen The Wire?

Yes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

How many episodes?
All of them, you dipshit.

DrVenkman posted:

No it isn't.

Granted people can argue beyond that but the idea is very much how the police are portrayed in popular media. Always essentially good where the bad apples are weeded out. It's the idea of presenting the police *uncritically* that's Copaganda.
Shut the gently caress up, you tedious dullard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Seems like this meltdown is going well for you.

Why should David Simon stop tweeting?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Cos he just gets baited into dumbass arguments too easily and embarrasses himself. Nothing like what you were suggesting.

He gets baited into dumbass arguments like telling black people they should go back home when cops murder a guy for no reason?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Seriously, how are you all not aware of how enamored David Simon is with the police?

You know that scene where McNulty and Bunk solve a cold case while only saying “gently caress?” That’s him reveling in how awesome the police are! They just keep saying “gently caress!”

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Okay, so the lesson of The Wire and David Simon is that the police are worse than worthless and should be abolished. Whether it be The System or individual cops like Bunk and McNulty, the police are unreformable.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Maybe you should watch it and draw your own conclusion instead of asking the thread to choose it's own adventure.

I have watched it.

It sucks.

Edit: it’s not so much that it sucks as it is that it’s not nearly as good as people say it is.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 18, 2021

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I feel bad, but I always hated Charles Grodin.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

"Everyone knows all cops are bastards. What my show presupposes is... maybe they're not?"

Sounds like copaganda to me.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

I wish I could watch Brooklyn 99 without feeling icky :(

Strangely, I have no problem with No Activity, other than the terrible decision to animate the latest season
No Activity is weird for me because I loved the first two seasons, especially the Jessica Alba episode which was absolutely nuts (seriously, if you haven’t seen it you should watch it and don’t worry about context, it works as a stand-alone), but by season 3 I just couldn’t sustain interest. And I think the main reason is because the Tim Meadows character just began to grate on me. I usually like him, but he was too cartoonish; it always seemed like he was a character in a different show and it interfered with the show’s flow.

The decision to animate seems like a purely COVID one which is helped by the show being mostly static conversations in isolated spaces. But if it’s literally a cartoon, I may give it a try.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

X-O posted:

I get the point about children being fed the wrong messages when they are young but that doesn't just apply to the morality of cop shows or even TV in a broader sense. I don't care who you are, you're indoctrinated as a child with some kind of wrong message. Everyone is. The point is that you grow up learn it's either wrong or a fantasy. I can easily enjoy cop shows because I know they're not real and I don't need them to be real. Sure it's great that some do reflect reality but I'm a grown person that enjoys entertainment as just that sometimes. I can enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine just as much as I can enjoy watching something like Friday The 13th. Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.

Sounds like copaganda to me.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

X-O posted:

Your gimmick is stale.

Is it? Is it really?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Here's the crux of my problem, this copaganda thing is just another furtherance of the idea that the most important quality by which a piece of art must be evaluated is its ethical position. It's just as absurd as ideas that depictions of unwed motherhood on television leads to sinful promiscuity among women, or portraying homosexuality neutrally or non-negatively furthers a harmful gay agenda. It's Puritanical sanctimony, just from the other direction, and I'm exhausted by having to constantly read people talk about shows in terms of if the characters are "good or bad people". The problems with policing in America are not caused by CSI:Miami. You might as well ban the local news - as we know that massively increases a persons perception of the amount of crime and violence in the world, which probably does more to create this desire of necessarily hard-on-crime law enforcement than every cop show combined.
Unwed mothers and homosexuals do not have massive, tax payer funded unions that allow them to act with absolute impunity, you gigantic twat.

Jesus loving Christ.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Wilhelm E. Wonkazashi, III.

I certainly look forward to this tremendous reimagining where the titular character comes to realize that I don’t know some kind of bullshit and who wants any of this and who even asked for it in the first loving place?

And isn’t this nutsack already Paul Atreides?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

whoops

Is it still worth catching up on the rest of the season or nah

It wasn’t bad, but nah. They never even got near the fireworks factory.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

Are either of these shows similar to Dispatches from Elsewhere? Because I thought that show was kind of... Wanky.

I haven’t seen John From Cincinnati, but Lodge 49 was similar to Dispatches From Elsewhere. I loved them both. Lodge 49 was a little more laid back.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well, they’re both kind of surrealist narratives about alienation and community in the modern world. DFE is more focused because it relies on what’s basically a scavenger hunt, whereas Lodge 49 meanders and sprawls a bit. They both have a sense of whimsy that’s informed by genuine pathos.

I think Dispatches is likely more off-putting (especially the finale), but if someone mostly liked it, Lodge 49 would be right up their alley.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Binge up through season 5 and put the rest on a lowkey once or twice a week watch? Not everything needs to be a binge until you finish it.

This is the best advice.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It was also an X-Files episode where Darin Morgan played the inseminating creep and had a tail.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Rewatching Letterkenny and oh man hicks and Indians v. Nazis is the greatest poo poo ever.
I’ve been doing the same thing and just got to that episode. It’s fantastic.

Philthy posted:

There a specific term for this? A lot of successful people tend to think since they're really good at X, they will be good at Y and move on and generally fail hard. Some realize they were only ever supposed to do X for their entire lives and return, and the rest just get angry/confused/lost and continue to fail. See: Musicians, Game Devs, Traditional Artists, Politicians.
I think the Peter Principle covers this. People rise to their level of incompetence.

I’ve been rewatching Dirk Gently and it’s a shame Landis was an rear end in a top hat because its such a great show. I’m on season 2 and I totally forgot about Tina Tevetino. The entire cast is amazing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

S'goden. S'dothis.
Yer a bit fuckin dramatic, eh?

I also realized that we haven’t seen Gus in a few seasons. Hope he’s okay, he’s on the home stretch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Seriously, Dirk Gently had hands-down the best villain-reveal speech ever:

https://youtu.be/hU5g7IgaaQQ

Spoilers, obviously.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Absolutely and I can't think of a one that doesn't just go all out. Fiona Dourif was my favourite as the holistic assassin but really everyone was great.
Fiona Dourif was awesome. Bart was like a Coen Brothers level implacable villain. And when she got stabbed and freaked out because it was the first time she’d been hurt, that was seriously affecting and upsetting.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Picard started well enough and the just sucked.

DS9 is the last good Trek.

The Orville is the only decent modem version.

Lower Decks is not great.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Soup-to-nuts, Helix was a Goddamned mess. And not in a good way even though it had some good bits.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The driver’s ed/table was great, but unusual in that it had a legitimate explanation.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

For some reason that made it even funnier for me

Oh, absolutely!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I wonder if Sam and Dean ever saw any of those fuckers doing a big cum
I mean...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is Carnivale worth watching the whole way through? I'm on episode 6 or 7, and its generally pretty good but it feels like the kind of thing where mysteries are set up but never resolved. And it probably doesn't help that it was cancelled early.
If I remember correctly, there were supposed to be three "books" comprised of two seasons each, so getting cancelled after season 2 leaves a lot unresolved, but there's still the feel of having some sort of narrative closure.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Two episodes in and Surreal Estate isn't bad. I almost ignored it entirely because I thought it was one of these pseudo-reality TV show about haunted houses, but turns out it's an X-Files type show.

It also took me until the second episode to recognize the lead is Doc Holiday without the beard. Dude gets a decent amount of work.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Thank God. He had just gotten triples of the Nova (triples is best).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Is Luther a good show? I feel like just based on the individual parts that it should be, but it is not something I ever really see many people really be passionate about online or ever bring up in a discussion about shows to watch.

I watched the first season. Meh.
A lot of people here seemed to like it.