Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="el oso" post="511290972"]
His Dark Materials is very competent but its tone is just so dour.

It's not like the books they were adapted from was a laugh riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1346764056284151809

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Hamilton sucks.

I said what I said.

Counterpoint: Hamilton is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR5YzU8y-jA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Rudy Giuliani was universally loved and respected in America for a brief period

Even 2Pac clowned on Giuliani.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Aw drat, Mira Furlan died.

And Larry King.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I was really disappointed by the History of Swearwords. It's 0,1% historians saying "this is when the swearword was first used" and the rest is comedians talking about how much they enjoy using the swearword.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I would love to see literally any evidence for this.

I'm sure Emily In Paris got nominated because it's a good show and not because of the paid vacation the members of the HFPA got.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda heartbreaking to see Laurence Fishburne narrating ufo programs on the history channel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

So many people were binging the Marvel Netflix shows that it crashed the servers multiple times.

HBO was impossible to access when the first episode of the GoT season 8 aired.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, turns out that Joseph "Joss" Whedon was so desperate to cling to this nickname that he now no longer can prove that he exists.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Uh, McNulty shouldíve went to jail for the poo poo he pulled with the serial killer stuff, and the show never denies this.

It also shows that McNulty's actions caused real harm as it inspired someone to commit real murders. McNulty "doing whatever it takes" is 100% presented as bad a thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love this movie, I donít care what anyone says*

*I havenít watched in about a decade though

It's certainly better than Jurassic World and Next.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching Forged in Fire and I'm always nervous when I see all those great, big bushy beards near open flame.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

And she had to do a stupid accent

If Wanda is anything to go by the stupid accent will go away in later movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Episode of six of Gangs of London is completely loving bonkers. The first couple of minutes I thought it was going to be a boring Darren centric episode with none of the actually interesting characters. And then poo poo starts escalating until two guys are literally vaporized in an explosion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The United States posted:

I like how Gangs of London keeps escalating to the point of utter ridiculousness

Yeah, apparently pakistani special troops can attack a florist shop in in the middle of London and no one even notices.
Also, they're danish mercenaries, not dutch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

All this Weeds, Sons of Anarchy, and a bit further Dexter talk has me wondering what are the shows airing now that have gone completely off the rails?

Gangs of London. In a good way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

They just outright broke their contract with her without ever re-negotiating, despite being on record as to having promised to do so. There better be some really loony clauses in that contract to navigate them out of an intentional breach in addition to acting in bad faith.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

that sounds pretty garish

Especially compared to Redman's crib which featured a money jar and guy sleeping on the floor.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm glad this is back. I wound up liking season 1 a lot more than I expected. Especially the finale, where a bunch of random people with guns funneled into a zombie-infested area was depicted as utterly chaotic and not remotely action-movie-tactical-cool, with all sorts of crossfire casualties.

That's one of the things that made Black Summer so good. Anyone can die of a stupid mistake.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Like Fincher's Dragon Tattoo.

The only one with a weird accent in that movie was Mara though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

There have been vax skeptics since there have been vaccines.

Yeah, this a famous cartoon made about the first vaccine ever produced:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I love the idea of inoculuations. One of the grossest scenes in TV history is in John Adams where they take some oozing pus and inject it into children.

And in the Knick where Thackery takes scabs, crushes them and then inject it into people.

zoux posted:

One of the best books I've read on the topic is Demon in the Freezer, about smallpox, and about 1/3 of the book is dedicated to kind of stupid weaponized smallpox prognosticating, but the rest is a really well written account of what smallpox has done to the human race throughout our history and describing the monumental feat of eradication. It never ends up on any lists of such things but the WHO and national campaigns to find and destroy every last endemic case of smallpox is one of humanity's great scientific and cooperative achievements. Smallpox was real bad.

The sad thing is that diseases like polio and measles could also be eradicated bu too many people refuses to take the vaccines.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

Lost is still a great show, especially the ending. But it's also very much a product of its time in regards to female characters, people of color etc.

And yet it was groundbreaking. Daniel Dae Kim said that it was the first time he actually got to kiss someone on screen for example.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I won't say that Sophie Okenado's performance on Brittania represents the high point of her career

It certainly isn't the low point of her career: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112281/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_72

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You gonna hike across the country with your backpack on one shoulder/without the straps tightened you're gonna end up with back pain and it's gonna be your own damned fault.

One of the funniest moments of 21 Jump Street was Channing Tatum trying to look cool by wearing his backpack on one shoulder only to realize that modern youths doesn't do that anymore because it's bad for your back.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of JMS

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=21

Click link for entire thread. Answers a few questions I had.
Woohoo?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm rewatching the old CSI Vegas seasons. I mean, it's a TV series and therefore added drama, but christ most of them are sure some judgmental fucks.

In one of the first episodes Grissom calls people who committs suicide for cowards.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thereís on in gbs, but I think most people are over it.

It's pretty clear that most of these documentaries only have enough story to last one season.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Iím so happy The Great is back

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching the first season of Evil and it's kinda annoying how every posession turns out to be bad plumbing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's an essential part of the show, unfortunately, until it isn't, and they replace it with something even loving weirder and more slippery.

Well, you weren't loving kidding: I just got to the episode where the actual devil is being a therapist to Leland and I guess all ambiguity is officially out of the question

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HOLY gently caress posted:

especially Brian Blessed constantly shouting :allears:

Or talking normally as he likes to call it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Beforeigners season 2 is gloriously insane.

Two way timetravelers have superpowers now and super-Alfhildr just punched super-Jack The Ripper and the space time continuum exploded on an episode cliffhanger. She should have watched Timecop!
It also have Olav the Holy appearing on talkshows, vikings explaining the importance of seatbelts and maybe Odin himself trying to solve a criminal case.

I also like how Alfhildr is not the sensible one. It really feel like she's from another time in that she has different ideas about beauty standards and social conventions. In shows like Vikings for example all the women has perfect skin and remove their body hair unlike Beforeigners who shows that that would not be the case for women living in that era

It is a little annoying that they couldn't come up with Norwegian title for the show though.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whoa, Yellowjackets just went full Raimi.