Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I get that there's only so many words in the world but...man, Netflix, are things that bad?

Prepare to be... mildly uncomfortable!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Jupiter's Legacy goes nowhere. Ends on possibly one the lamest cliffhangers in years. Don't watch.

Disagree. It's a prime hate watch. At the end of the first episode, write down the laziest twist you can imagine to feel smart later.

There is a clever bit of writing in the first episode designed to make both Libs and Chuds feel like the Utopian is on their side which made me want to throw poo poo at the screen.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

X-O posted:

Apparently CW is rebooting Legends of the Hidden Temple as a game show for adults. That seems like a weird direction to take it.

Change nothing and treat all contestants as if they're abnormally tall 12 year olds.

Alternatively, make clashes with the temple guards end on knockout or submission only.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Invincible is good y'all

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's network tv. They're chasing the same boomers they wanted in the 80s.

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno. I loved Wonder Years as a kid and I had no familiarity at all with the 60s. Its just a setting for a coming of age story. Its also a tumultuous enough setting that's far enough past us that you can work with it without much controversy. I dunno if this is gonna be any good but I don't think it inherently becomes better if you set it in 2000.

Ah yes, the tumult-free 2000s.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Ah yes, reading comprehension.

We're further removed from 9/11 than the original Wonder Years was from Vietnam.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The opening premise of Mosquito Coast is so aggressively dumb.

Hello, I am extremely wanted by the U.S. government for reasons that will not be disclosed until the season finale, to the point that my children cannot use electronic devices or contact their grandparents. A single slip up means that literally all law enforcement within a fifty mile radius will be instantly retasked to hunting my family.

Though I and my family are constantly aware of this high level of danger, we are going to chill in California rather than Belize. I have no backup plan whatsoever for when we are inevitably discovered and have not bothered to learn any language other than English.

I am the very smart protagonist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

nate fisher posted:

Yes if remember correctly. He puts his family in danger to accomplish this insane goal. I remember really liking the movie, but I think I was like 13 when my family rented it on VHS. Is there something about a dam in this movie too?

Edit: I just seen it was directed by Peter Weir. I might have to give it a rewatch.

It's been remade on Apple+ starring Justin Theroux as an Ozark/Breaking Bad clone but they're taking for loving ever to get to the icecube factory. Everyone but the wife is incredibly unlikable.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I'm not sure why I continue to watch Walker, but it sure isn't good.

I hope it runs for 6+ seasons and Jensen Ackles never gets desperate enough to do a cameo.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I didn't see a recommendation thread so hopefully this is the right place to ask.

This is an odd request, but does anyone know of any shows in the same vein as The Crown that wouldn't be too scandalous for an old, fairly devout Protestant lady? My aunt asked me for some show recommendations because I've pointed her at a few period dramas before, and she liked The Crown a lot, but she's pretty old-fashioned and doesn't like anything with a lot of swearing and especially nudity.

Like I said, weird request, but it's not a genre that I watch much of so I'm not sure what else what fit the bill.

My mother in law is very similar, and she self-directed herself into the massive amount of Korean historical melodramas available on Netflix. Your aunt might give Mr. Sunshine a try.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

How about members of the Star Gate team meet in the break room to watch a better show?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rewatching Travelers and ran into a virus subplot and its hilarious to watch people take it seriously.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

X-O posted:

Am I missing something? I don’t see anything too weird about this? I mean it’s about a Czech team but it happened in Japan so a Japanese song seems like a perfectly fine choice to me?

It's a song about incest and crunchy panties, op

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Having not read the comics, Jupiter's Legacy felt like they planned a long run and didn't want to burn though limited original material too fast, which led to taking two stories that could have been told in an hour each and stretching them out to a full season. Also intercut for some stupid reason.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

And I thought being in the Red Dawn remake was bad.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The Mosquito Coast on Apple+ is the most frustrating viewing experience I've had in some time. Imagine writing a show about supposedly savvy family of dissidents in hiding from the American government, then making them absolute loving idiots except for their father, who is stupid and a giant rear end in a top hat. Populate the world with knock-off Breaking Bad villains and write your plucky heroes out of certain death over and over through luck and happenstance. Nothing is earned. Nobody grows. Just Dunning Kruger Forrest Gump and his dumbass family spending eight hours to get where the movie they're remaking got by the end of the opening titles.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Of course I'll keep watching that garbage

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

How dare you say we're out of ideas?

*greenlights lovely 36 hour remakes of lovely 3 hour movies*

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I vaguely remember liking it even if I had no loving clue what was going on. I just remember things building to a Milchean kefluffle and someone yelling "Attorney Dickstein!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I worked in the Kim's Convenience writers room and a lot of this is just sour grapes. While it's true that we were all white several of us enjoyed Asian food.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dessel posted:

Quoting a post from several pages back but, uhh...

What shows do the evil-Superman thing better? No, seriously.

Invincible does everything Jupiter's Legacy tried to do so much better.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Edlund wrote some stone cold classic comedy episodes of Supernatural, like, episodes you'd put up against any other show. The French Mistake is amazing, one of my favorite single episodes of any show ever.

"Season 6." :jerkbag:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bring back Barb you cowards

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I liked all three seasons but the pacing is super slow. Less of an issue now though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

No it's this.

Finally Sesame Street's Mr. Noodle gets the dramatic role he deserves.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gonz posted:

Holy hell, he was so young.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

I know from a bit ago but I loved Legion. One of my favourite series but it has flaws that I am fairly sure are 100% Noah Hawley. It can be a bit pretentious, up its own rear end and also tends to wander off like it got a bit too high and had the munchies. All that said: if you enjoyed season 1 you should like season 2 and 3. Season 2 had a couple of character arcs that went to an uncomfortable place ( it makes it hard to keep rooting for the main characters) BUT season 3 had a really good ending to the entire show. Not for everyone but definitely worth a watch.

Farouk is the protagonist. Change my mind.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rewatching Letterkenny and oh man hicks and Indians v. Nazis is the greatest poo poo ever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Still feel super bad about the sister. Never really any sort of closure for that

Can't argue with that. Still, speaking only for show Farouk, he's less a super villain than a a dude constantly hosed with for existing outside Eurocentric mutant society. Dude was living pretty low-key for a villain/god-king/immortal parasite in the forties and showed no appetite for conquest outside his little slice of Morocco. But that didn't stop white savior mutants like Xavier rolling up to fight him. He only jumped to David because he was murdered and even then he wasn't locking him away and living the high life. His methods weren't ideal but we have no idea how much, if any of David's mental illness is an organic side effect of his powers.

We're told that the the reason Farouk hasn't taken over David entirely is that he was too weak, and coincidentally only powered up enough to do so when the plot kicked in, but that's not really supported by the later reveal that Farouk could have gone back to his body whenever.

One could argue that he was being noble by tying himself to the live nuke mutant that could end existence while David was young and lacked the maturity to control his powers. He certainly didn't exercise his full ability to control David until Summerland showed up to poke the nuke.

Also, while Farouk does poo poo as a means to an end, David does several things that are way loving crueler than simple murder. Mind-wiping Syd and Clake's husband for example.

Anyway, just a small fries and a drink please. I'll pull forward.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I always thought this argument was meant to be taken with a grain of salt. Yes, the colonialism is undeniable, but Farouk was a supervillainous rapist murderer. One with a self justifying narrative about honour and dignity and sovereignty and blah blah blah, but lol at him making the claim for fairness and justice.

The murder is baked into his existence so I get villain, but not supervillain. He's more like Grendel or similar cursed historical monster who'd prefer to be left alone.

As I understand it, he's more expressly evil in the comics.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Slamhound posted:

I’ve been doing the same thing and just got to that episode. It’s fantastic.

S'goden. S'dothis.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It was a BBC at least

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Kevin Can Go gently caress Himself is starting out strong in that I want to see the husband and his quirky dude friend brutally murdered ASAP

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also the Toms Brady should be series regulars

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

every day we stray further from the light of god

Reject tradition. Embrace dating a woman with a blowhole.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

With a proper low cut blouse I, and many others, probably wouldn't even notice the blowhole

How can you notice anything else?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bosch: the nontraditional college years

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I liked the newspaper stuff in the Wire but I'm interested in the business. It's a neat moment in time to visit, like watching a herd of dinosaurs try to fathom the giant mushroom cloud caused by the asteroid that will eventually kill them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Not catching the Leftovers live, I missed the subgenre of people adding the theme to other scenes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing more...Happy! maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm just going to my Kevin Can gently caress Himself prediction here: Allison succeeds at killing Kevin but next season she's been recast into another marriage with a new schlubby dude also named Kevin.