Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I watched the Yellowjackets pilot like 3 or 4 times because I liked it so much. Episode 2 was also really enjoyable if not as strong.

I was a little too young for Lost but I totally understand all the hype and theorizing people did back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, complain all you want about the Melanie Lynskey affair plot on Yellowjackets (it seems like they could be gesturing at a paranoia plot, or it's just some sort of conspiracy, I can't believe its just an affair and I'd be happy for them to move to the next stage of it all) but the Tawny Cypress kid plot is actually The Worst.

Does anyone actually think they're gonna go supernatural with this stuff? I can't quite believe they will, but I'm all for Wendigo horror if they do actually go there.

I'm guessing there will be more to the affair plot but I wish they'd given the whole thing more...oomph. They did such a great job establishing her as a listless disappointed housewife in the first episode and episode 2 gave us a glimpse at the darkness beneath it all when she was dealing with the rabbit. Mostly I want to see her snap at her daughter though (that actress is doing a great job playing a little teenage shithead)

Also disappointed with creepy kid subplot. I think it would be fun to have it turn out to be a hosed up stalker/home invader. Some people are suggesting Taissa has some kind of split personality that antagonizes Sammy, and that her wife may be a delusion/hallucination altogether but those are cheap narrative choices. Combined with what we know about Lottie, this would come together in an embarassingly bad take on psychiatric disorders. Not that horror is known for its sensitive, nuanced portrayals of mental illness, but I'm hoping they show some tact and originality.

Re: supernatural elements, the creators say "We were most interested in that line between a genuine supernatural phenomena or some sort of madness that takes hold, so that’s a line we’re going to be playing throughout the show" so we'll see what happens!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

My favourite bad theory is that the cast cannibalised their as-yet-nonexistant babies for protein, which is the kind of theory only someone who's never spent time with a pregnant person could come up with.

Mine is that Shauna is totally pregnant and will have the baby in the wild and somehow the baby will stay behind when they're rescued and THAT'S who's sending the postcards

There's nothing quite like these takes and theories to remind me that reading comprehension and critical thought died a horrible death.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

There’s still a lot of unknowns, but I suspect that first part is correct. surely Jackie will learn before (if) she dies

Oh I agree the first part is probably true but I really doubt a stranded starving teenager is going to successfully carry a pregnancy to term and keep a newborn alive in the Canadian wilderness in winter. And then the baby somehow gets left behind still alive

If this show ever gets its own thread I'm setting up a Hall of Shame post to showcase the dumbest theories I've seen.