Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Rick and Morty is one of the most brilliant shows ever made, easily in my top 5. However, Harmon and Roiland retreated from the radicality of the shows trajectory around the end of season 3. I knew after that finale that show would never be as good again, and I've been right so far.

The setting has the potential for a kind of open ended conceptual exploration that almost nothing else has, but it basically can't do it properly as long as half of the show is a loving family guy sitcom. They almost fixed this by getting rid of Jerry and incorporating Summer and Beth into the A-team, but then flinched, at the level of effort that would take I guess. Now that the show's back to using a static sitcom backdrop as an anchor for its shenanigans it's a shadow of what it could have been, and will never achieve the highs it hit in S2 and S3.

It's a shame, but we still got at least 25ish incredible episodes. The lost potential makes me sad, and I'm really not eagerly anticipating watching 6 more seasons of the show gradually becoming a parody of itself.

As for the fandom, who the gently caress cares? What fandom? Turn off your monitor, no more 'fandom'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Looten Plunder posted:

How friggin good is Succession? Nothing has even happened so far this season and every scene is both riveting and hilarious.

It's very good but I wish something would happen. There are no bad scenes and the writing is tight tight right tho.

There are aspects of Foundation that are actually kind of amazing. I'm starting to suspect that's its going to end up being a much better bingewatch than weekly. Unfortunately one of the major plotlines has been dreary nonsense, but everything else has a lot of potential. The clone emperor bits in particular are very engaging and beautiful - costumes, sets and ships never ceasing to stun. The show has it's own unique aesthetic nailed down well, it just needs to have more of its plot cylinders fitting. I really like the theme tune.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed What If...?, especially the last two episodes. The multiverse mix and match is perfect for stuff like this, and it interfaced with the existing MCU canon in interesting ways. I'll come back for more even if I'm not into a lot of other phase 4 stuff.