Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sorting Algorithms posted:

The greatest show ever made is copaganda by a literal police asset

the entire point of The Wire is that the policing system is completely broken and crime solving is practically an unintended side effect hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

I get the point about children being fed the wrong messages when they are young but that doesn't just apply to the morality of cop shows or even TV in a broader sense. I don't care who you are, you're indoctrinated as a child with some kind of wrong message. Everyone is. The point is that you grow up learn it's either wrong or a fantasy. I can easily enjoy cop shows because I know they're not real and I don't need them to be real. Sure it's great that some do reflect reality but I'm a grown person that enjoys entertainment as just that sometimes. I can enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine just as much as I can enjoy watching something like Friday The 13th. Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.

I think there's definitely a place for people who want to enjoy the fantasy of a competent, thoughtful, spirit of the law police force that is trying to do good when the reality is that most people's interactions with cops when they are victims is "tough poo poo, we can't do anything" unless they are literally standing there about to watch a murder go down.

Again, some people go hard on the thin blue line and all, but those are the people watch something like Blue Bloods and enthusiastically boo at the TV when internal affairs shows up to investigate why black teens keep dying in solitary confinement.

Southland was a great show for the same reason B99 is. Its a character show that uses them being cops as just providing the circumstances for character development.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fancy stats posted:

Also, CSI is a funny example, because it has had an actual impact on how jurors view cases that don't have the level of hard evidence that is present on the show.

It had an impact on how actual cops/DAs view cases.

I had a chem professor who told us a story about how an area PD department contacted him wanting him to test some blood samples and tell them if the blood in the back of a pickup they pulled over was human or animal blood, and he had to tell them (in the early 2000s) that it wasn't possible without some actual, serious lab work put in that would cost a lot of money. They thought he could just grab some chemicals off the shelf, make a mixture, and then drop it on the sample and give them proof. It's been 15+ years but I remember at the time it came up wrt CSI and how everyone and their grandmother had this expectation of "science man make magic" for anything crime related.

CSI really did a huge disservice in many ways, from creating the belief of expecting borderline super-science going on in criminal investigations, to also presenting as "ironclad evidence" a lot of junk science like bite mark and shoe print analysis.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Stargate would be ideal.

Stargate went from possibly being a forever franchise to just disappearing in the course of three years.

Stargate Destiny was a completely different type of show they just added stargates to. Like even the people who liked Stargate and/or BSG would probably watch that show and not like it. Season 2 was a massive improvement but the damage had been done.

It was also a wildly underutilized IP, as the plan to relaunch it was as a webisode set in the 1930s exclusive to the MGM streaming app.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

No! Richard Chamberlain is the only John Blackthorne!!!!

I read Shogun and all the Clavell novels back when I was in college and absolutely loved them (even the helicopter one). I haven't ever revisited them since they were written by a British guy who grew up in the 30s, and are probably unaccountably racist and I just didn't notice because it was 20 years ago and we weren't woke back then.

I don't know about racist, but Shogun was written in a way where the Europeans came off as savage, dirty, unwashed barbarians, and by the mid point Blackthorne has become so enamored with Japanese culture he sees himself as one of them and his old crew as a bunch of dirty monkeys.

In Noble House one of the "antagonists" is the American with the big wallet who wants to come over and swing his dick around, making promises he has no intention of keeping which is a huge faux pas in Hong Kong.

In general the books treat outsiders to the culture with contempt and sort of fawn over the complex web of customs and rituals that make up the Asian society in question.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 25, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Started watching 30 ROCK again (though I don't think I ever actually finished it the first time). I'm pretty sure there was a period of time where people tried claiming it was in fact problematic and not funny but that can't be true because it's very funny.

The problematic stuff was kind of figured out by season 2, and whatever Tina Fey is like in real life the show goes out of it's way to poo poo all over Liz Lemon's brand of toxic feminism whenever it comes up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CPFortest posted:

I remember the Trueanon podcast covering the veiled prophet society more than a year ago which is where I found out about Kemper participating in it.

In addition to being a racist and segregationist event, the Veiled Prophet Ball is a high society event for old money in Missouri and her great-great grandfather was a huge railroad and banking magnate so it's not particularly mysterious how it happened.

It was started off by some rich confederates, in the 70s got a ton of poo poo for being nothing but white businessmen, and they started added wealthy black people. Apparently the women who won in 1997 was black.

It's absolutely a hosed up weird tradition rooted in old money keeping the poors out of their big festivals, but they kind of passed up on the hardcore racism decades ago and are cool with anyone rich regardless of skin color.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I believe him since he's the one guy powerful enough to not give a gently caress about repercussions. Explains why the finale sucked rear end too. The optics of the one white lady getting the spinoff out of all the characters is really bad.

I read his statement about someone getting a spin-off, I couldn't remember the characters name, then when I saw the line "the only white member of the main cast" it blew my loving mind she's getting a show. The bar for Canadian sitcoms is low but she was easily the least interesting character in the entire show. Even the dopey car wash guy had more charisma then her.

Kind of get the feeling the showrunners just dropped the show like that for the same reasons he complained about.

Good on him as the new Marvel hero. Even if the movie does okay, they're still setting up Phase 3 or whatever they're on and he'll be getting good work for the next few years for sure.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Season 6-7-8 is probably the worst by a lot. It's like they planned for self contained seasons because they weren't sure they'd keep getting renewed until season 10/11. From there on it improves by a lot as they seemed to have more of an overall plan for the series rather then "poo poo, new enemy to beat this season"

Even with that, there are some pretty great episodes in those seasons, including season 6 having the episode where the "characters" end up in the real world as the "actors" and are confused as poo poo by the whole thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think right after S5 their focus was on trying to introduce new massive threats from the outside and its not great. But eventually I think they settled on just building out from the world they have and it felt more natural and satisfying. I still don't think it really gets as good as the start but it definitely gets a lot better and feels more like that first 3rd of the show.

And yeah, the brothers' codependence is stagnant but that's recognized and kind of the point. Like the Sam's girlfriend season is kind of funny because its the time one them actually broke the cycle and then they both just got all moody about that.

The threat progression after S5, which was built up as Lucifer, the biggest of the bads, was a series of DBZ-esque power creep.

S6: Weird start having to pick up from the S5 not-a-finale, all about Alpha monsters which was a huge dud
S7: Heaven stuff, all about Leviathans, who are basically stronger then Angels/Demons for plot reasons
S8-9: Sort of a duology building up to the S9 finale, big focus on exclusively celestial stuff
S10: Kind of just filler between the next Big Bad, introduces Rowena who's kind of a drag in general
S11: All about the newest, greatest threat ever, stronger then the rest, ends with introducing some extremely dumb human antagonists
S12-15: Sort of the only other planned out multi-season arc, starting from a core concept and taking it all the way to the series finale.

I'm omitting a lot but that's the basic idea. If I would say to skip any season completely it'd be S6 as I don't think anything from that carries over in a meaningful way aside from a handful of great episodes. S7/8 introduce a ton of stuff that keeps coming back in a big way, then 9/10 lay the groundwork for the last three, and 11 is essential to the build-up all the way back from the early seasons.

If you watch from start to finish, by season 8 the plot of "the brothers aren't being honest with each other" starts to grate a lot and it never really gets better. The enemies are just kind of a continual power creep. All together though it's a pretty great experience to see such a long running show that might hit some low points but never actually crosses into the "bad TV" territory.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I recall that Legion's season 2 finale had the same kind of visceral difference in audience reception by gender as Passengers did, and that was definitely one of the big problems in the discourse about it given that online reviewers and comic fans trend to be overwhelmingly male.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Which was which for Passenger? I hadn't seen and just read the wiki synopsis and this ending almost sounds like a vandal's edit. Living happily ever after with this dude who... I mean I don't even know what to call that kind of crime against someone, but he non-consensually made a permanent terminal decision for a complete stranger because he was lonely horny after a year alone? He picked the prettiest girl like hes swiping on tindr and decided to force her into a dire situation where he's literally the "last man in the world" for her and it works so well he tricks her into staying even after evil deed revealed and made undoable. Just reading the synopsis it sounds like some dude's rapey space fanfic, but you're saying it was actually women audiences who liked the ending? I'm certainly missing something having not seen it, but why would anyone like that ending?

Passengers had men reviewing it as a dramatic love story.

Women saw it as an existential horror movie and a lot of male commenters basically dismissed them as being unsympathetic to Chris Pratt's character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WKUK is probably some of the best sketch comedy from that era, and unlike 99% of the others has aged amazingly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQOvyGbBtY

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 8, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
WKUK somehow took the white boy frat humor and just twisted it to make it weird enough that tons of their juvenile skits are still pretty good. It's doesn't wear the extreme 2000s college comedy badge of shame like Derrick Comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYy77IGsBFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMbU-we1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdvqQAi8Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EIAN1YcEUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgiEQXGetI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38O-PcjXh0k

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
WKUK should've been way more famous then they were, even nearly 15 years later it's head and shoulders above most comparable comedy at the time, much less any sketch comedy. Think about it, a sketch comedy show from 2007-2011 on US TV. Think back to what else was on at the time and is now literally unwatchable.

It also sucks they didn't make major $$$ either because the Timmy, the actor who always played the female/child roles later got fired from his professional teacher job because the conservative school district was offended he was cross-dressing in some absurd comedy roles in his early 20s.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different person. I can't find the article from a few years ago, it was pretty small time news.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 8, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

https://youtu.be/n_3wLOSHtl0

A.P. Bio Season 4 Sept 2nd.

Casting spoiler at the end of the trailer if anyone cares.

Season 1 was pretty great if a little shaky at the start. I've heard it just constantly gets better and season 4 now has at least one very good reason to watch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Azhais posted:

According to TMZ none of the Jeopardy guest hosts were even considered, they wanted Mayim and Richards from the start

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/25/jeopardy-levar-burton-not-considered-full-time-hosting-job/

:thumbsup:

Shocked, shocked I tell you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The creators of American Vandal after making a mockumentary series based around an eSports team.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/27/22645190/paramount-plus-players-american-vandal-creators

still salty they didn't get a season 3. The Turdburgler was a villain on par with Thanos.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rip king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNdmGiM0puM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sekhmnet posted:

D. B. Woodside's acting is one of the things that keeps that show from really flying off the handles. One part audience participation, one part status quo mindset, one part comic relief. And yes, I believe that since Lucifer is actually a big hit for netflix after having picked it up from broadcast cancelation, they gave it some extra budget for the final season. Its a silly concept that might have well have been "God Cop" from 30 rock but they did it their own way; I know its based off a comic book but apparently they diverged so much from that it became it's own thing.

Seasons 1-3 are so painfully network TV it hurts. It succeeded in no small part to its terrific cast and their chemistry.

Also it very much transcends the source material in that names aside there is no similarity. The only real link is that its the same Lucifer in the DC tv universe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sekhmnet posted:

Elvira(Cassandra Peterson) put out a book recently that included the fact that she's been partners with a woman for the last ~19 years. So now an implicit gay icon is now an explicit one.

The best tweet I saw about it was something like "Great for her, but we should trust the nuclear launch codes to her girlfriend because she managed to avoid telling everyone in the world Elvira was her girlfriend for 19 years, she can keep any secret"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Man that teamsters leader sure sounds familiar...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of JMS

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=21

Click link for entire thread. Answers a few questions I had.

He probably knows that trying to capture the same magic as B5 is a doomed effort, and he mentions Westworld and Battlestar probably because he plans to do something completely new with the basic concept. I'd expect at best a lot of casual references to the original, some original cast in new roles, but otherwise something very different.

Wonder if they'll let him do a 5 year start to finish planned ending if it gets that far. Supernatural was originally like that but was too successful for them to let go of. Plus, he's not even written the pilot yet, so it's like 2 years out unless the CW is going to throw money at it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah he stands up for Rowling and is like “gender is a fact” fuckin rear end in a top hat

I can't tell if he's just got no loving clue what a terf is or he's trying to agree without saying he agrees, because that little segue is like 1% of the actual problem with her including the book she wrote where a psychopathic trans person is murdering their way across England and the cops are somehow powerless because the trans person exploits the system or something.

For a guy who made such a huge deal that he claims he was always criticizing white people not trans people the story about the trans friend who killed herself was like absolute whitest "I'm not racist I have black friends" type-bullshit I've ever seen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Black Swan was over ten years ago and she's now doing commercials for snacks. She's probably already emailing the producers.

Ashton Kutcher's net worth is $200 million from successful tech investments.

Mila Kunis makes $225k per episode of Family guy and has a net worth of $75 million

Neither one of them has to do anything they don't want to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Qmass posted:

better off ted is better than what we do in the shadows

edit: now im wondering how many slots id fill with comedies in the top 10-20 shows ever... initially I thought no comedy rises to that level but then at least 30 rock and probably parks and rec are somewhere high for me on a "like" scale. But is most liked the same as best ? I would never claim to objectively rate tv though.

edit2: problem is that I can't really love a show unless it is often REALLY funny... which kind of ends up eating any comedies breakfast in how I rank them. All the shows I think are the best shows have moments as funny as any comedy. Even like... true detective season 1 was funny. Certainly all the great HBO shows were hilarious. Mad Men might have some of the funniest moments ive ever seen in any show.

The Good Place gets ranked really high on people's list of best shows. I've still not checked it out in favor of rewatching the entire series of Psych.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

But the Wire, Sopranos and less closely linked, Mad Men, are the best shows that's ever been on TV. And Mad Men ended a decade ago

There have been several shows in the last 10 years that are serious contenders for a list of best shows ever made.

Patriot is absolutely incredible.

Halt and Catch Fire was great and wildly underrated at the time as people thought it was 80s tech Mad Men (which was a problem for the first few episodes before it found its footing)

There's quite a few outstanding shows that never found a huge audience since the early 2010s kind of "ended" the classic prestige era of TV as the streaming era really took off and created this space for tons of creative and great shows that don't get the kind of ratings buzz or attention they would've gotten had they aired in the 2000s.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 12, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Azhais posted:

That's cause the entire first season is like issues 1-3 of the comic

Were they just assuming it would be TWD level must see TV and get an easy 10+ season? That's dumb as hell

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/abcs-the-rookie-bans-live-gunfire-on-set-fatal-rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-1234861100/

I would expect other shows to follow suit. Not only is it the right thing to do, I would expect talent to start shying away from productions the use them.

Yeah or at least not hiring a 24 year old who is leaving real bullets loaded in the prop guns for whatever reason.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

"Live" in this context means blanks

People from set are saying the armorer was using the guns for target practice between takes and left actual bullets in them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

While all early indications are pointing to a squib fire from a “live” blank round, there have been multiple reports of actual ammunition being on the production site and the (scab) armorer doing absurd things like telling the actors to “just shoot a couple times at the landscape.”

Jesen Ackles mentioned the armorer asked him about his gun training/safety, and when he said "almost none" she gave him a loaded gun, said point it towards the desert, and let off a few shots.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Really? It's part of one of the most famous episodes of the whole show where the other plot is Moss & Roy tricking Jen that a small box held the entire Internet. S3e4, "The Speech."

I recently rewatched the whole series and yeah, some episodes just do not hold up at all. They're more in seasons 3 & 4, though (and the return finale episode was dire upon rewatch, just a long screed on cancel culture and an odd attack on little people and the homeless).
A lot of the bad stuff boils down to Ricky Gervais-style "why can't I be offensive?????" humor. Some plots make Roy a bit too rude/mean and seem out of place. Also, there's an episode where you're supposed to laugh at Roy because he got lightly sexually assaulted during a massage and it's "funny" because he's a guy. Also, you really spot how about 1/2 of the show rips plots from Seinfeld practically word for word. Somehow, Seinfeld handled a lot of the same topics with more grace.

Thankfully, I think my perfect boy Moss survives untainted throughout the whole show.

IT Crowd aged poorly, but that was the most infamous episode because it led to the creator, a very famous Irish writer, basically getting de-platformed, losing his family, and going so hard on bigotry and trans-hate that when newspapers referred to him as "British" no Irish person wanted to correct them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

The worst part of the trans episode specifically is that Matt Berry's character immediately says "I don't care" when the trans character mentions her past on the date and it could have been a positive message. At first, I was like, "wow, pretty progressive for this show, well done!" Of course, it had problems like the trans character being all ashamed of it and apologizing for "deceiving" Douglas along with outdated terminology, but it was still pretty raw and heartfelt (if taken at face value). Like, this was the exchange:

And he legit has a wonderful time with her and falls in love. Then later in the episode it was revealed that he thought she said "I'm from Iran" and he goes "Oh Godddddddd" and then beats the poo poo out of her when they have an argument and she's pouring her heart out.
I really don't know how the writer made such an empathetic character in April, showed how Douglas really did love her, and then played the whole thing as a gross joke.

It even fit Douglas to have a more fluid sexuality anyway based on earlier episodes. Like how he loved how free Roy was when wearing lipstick and then wore it himself at a concert later. I just don't get it.

I just checked because I couldn't remember how it went and Douglas punching her sounded really in character for the show, but it wasn't as bad as that.

The fight started because she decked him across the face, then they get into a Three stooges level of scenery destroying fight in the middle of a bunch of dudes doing lab research so it can lead into the Internet being destroyed during Jen's meeting. Right before though the bit is she's telling him she is a woman, he's clearly struggling with the break-up, and while she says "there is a woman in front of you" one of the male lab techs walks between them. What was a lol timing gag is a lot more insidious after the fact.

It also ends with Douglas miserable and alone crying because he misses her, so it seems like there was some awareness of the joke in the writers room, then Linehan got stuck in with the TERFs and made "trans woman are a danger" his personality and suddenly that story seems really bad in context.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 25, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Last Kingdom is extremely close to Vikings just from the English perspective. Having some of the same cast in completely different roles is also a huge treat to anyone who watched Vikings.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Any recommendations for casually watchable detective stories on Netflix or Disney Plus?

Longform or procedural episodic, don't really care. Just don't want it to be utter trash (CSI: Whatever) or too much hard work (one of those really quiet danish dramas in the woods).

Longmire
Hap and Leonard
Broadchurch

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

lol i've heard only good things about this show but they also sound terrible from the outside. bad cops being bad in a deeply compelling way that's emotionally impactful? I just see myself getting too worked up if I watched it, already got a problem getting mad about anything and yelling at my representatives interns about it.

On the other hand, I do love people with badass voices saying cryptic or cynical things,

It's less about the cops being bad then the state of policing in America is fundamentally broken. Like there are plenty of "good" and "bad" cops in the show but the entire institution of policing is painted as a failed system. Bad people occasionally doing good things, or good people doing bad things but to catch crooks is like the best possible outcome.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 31, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lol they're all actors. It's getting closer and closer to the Joe Schmo show only without a shred of irony

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think someone here linked an article talking about the creator of squid game, and how it went undeveloped for 10 years while studios were begging him to let them produce it because he insisted it was being run by Darth Vader, literally Darth Vader who somehow escaped death and flew to Earth to create the Squid Game.

Was that real or something from The Onion.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Squid Game is great, but it really felt like the first few episodes it was shoving too much stuff in. Episode 6 is probably the best episode by far and that's about the point where the side plot stuff got dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't The Newsroom the show that starts with a speech that involves Boomer-rear end Jeff Daniels shouting at a college student--people who potentially weren't even old enough to vote in the most recent election--about how "kids these days" are, in fact, the shittiest generation and how everything loving sucks and, surprise twist, the U.S. isn't really all it's cracked up to be, and somehow that's because you young people are loving idiots?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he throws out some very dubious facts, like how the U.S. is "178th" in the world in infant mortality. What?

EDIT 2: Yeah here it is:

Yeah gently caress that idiotic show.

I love the part where he's working with his ex and does all sorts of hosed up gaslighting things to her in order to woo her back.