Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

muscles like this! posted:

I'm kind of surprised they never tried to make a Carl spin off.

I would argue that Stone Cold Lock of the Century of the Week/Pregame Prognostifications would count as one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't like 90% of first weekend receipts go to the studios?

It depends on the studio in question and the specific movie; bigger movies with more hype around them (sequels, primarily) can see the studio demanding a bigger cut. I'm not entirely sure if it was ever confirmed, but the smoke on the street around the release of the last Avengers movie is that Disney was demanding 100% of the release weekend box office take.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

The best summary of how and why NBC's Olympics coverage sucks rear end is the way they covered the opening ceremonies. Despite crowing about how they were going to be showing it live as it happened on national TV at the crack of dawn, the broadcast was identical to how they've shown every single other tape-delayed ceremony- cut to ribbons by commercials, and layered over by insipid commentary from idiots who feel that running their mouths is more important than shutting the gently caress up when they have nothing important to say. Always great to have constant ad breaks during the Parade of Nations, bracketed by looking at the US athletes milling around at the olympic village or sitting on a loving bus on their way to the stadium, instead of actually seeing the goddamned ceremony.

It's 10 billion percent better/easier to just watch event replays off of NBC's site instead of on TV, primarily because those are just the raw OBS feeds without NBC's dumbass commentary, and an adblocker kills the endless loving commercials. Plus you can pick and choose what to watch, whereas anything that isn't swimming, running, or gymnastics isn't deemed prestigious enough for airing on TV primetime, and the coverage on USA/NBCSN is seemingly picked & assigned at random.

Unfortunately, the bigger issue is that these Olympics have honestly been kinda depressing. Every stadium and arena being completely barren and empty has been a real bummer, doubly so when watching rugby- you can hear the pre-recorded announcer trying to amp up a crowd that doesn't exist, and it just reminds you that this whole endeavor is going to be such a financial black hole for Japan, above and beyond how even a normal Olympics is a money pit.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 5, 2021

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

what ad blocker are you using that kills the commercials, i need a new one i think (it wouldnt let me watch the website with it enabled)

uBlock Origin.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

So Nintendo announced a big budget animated Mario movie coming out December 2022 with Chris Pratt voicing Mario and Anya Taylor Joy as Peach.This is just bizarre. Also Jack Black is Bowser and Charlie Day is Luigi.

So... what, was Charles Martinet somehow not available, or something? Because having Mario be voiced by someone other than the guy who's been voicing Mario for the past, what, 20, 25 years? That seems like a strange choice, to me.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Really? Casting a star to headline a big budget Hollywood movie seems like a strange choice to you?

It seems strange to not cast the guy who's already been doing the role for the better part of 2 decades, yes.

I also think it's strange because I don't think Pratt is very good in leading roles (and I certainly don't have any faith in his being able to VA a leading role), but that's subjective.