Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I stopped counting how many shows I watched this year. I watch an embarrassing amount of TV. Mostly older stuff this year though, since there hasn't been a bunch of new content for a while.

My goal this year is to watch Highlander, and maybe a Star Trek. I've started DS9 about four times and given up pretty early on each time.

But watch me get distracted by five hundred different dead ends and side steps and miniseries and BEST SHOWS YOU MISSED DURING 2020 lists.

Arist posted:

Maybe I'll actually finish more TV shows this year. Or maybe I'll just start a billion anime and finish two of them again, lmao

My friend just started One Piece and lmao. Some anime aren't designed to ever end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

I have watched more One Piece than any human should

He's watched more Naruto than I can stand. You two should hang out

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching Extracurricular based on Esco and esperterra's recommendations in the thread, but I gotta ask, did anyone else find the official Netflix subtitles to be really quite poor? The grammar's atrocious, to the point where some sentences flat out don't make sense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WHO TRANSLATED THIS???

EDIT: WHY IS THE DUB BETTER.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I like The Expanse once I remember who everyone is (current season is ace so far) but its highs are nowhere near BSG’s highs imo

Agreed.

For me, the show has a decent setup and some good plotting (let's not talk about it shooting itself in the foot by adapting only half a book for it's first season), but I reckon that it consistently fails to provide strong characterisation for a lot of its cast, particularly most of its villains. Some of that stuff just tips over into cliché.

I'm also tempted to go against goon consensus and argue that the fourth season was its strongest complete season, but I also quite liked season three.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t mind His Dark Materials in general but I do find it really boring at times. Season 2 was an improvement for sure - the Lyra/Will stuff was great - but it took until towards the end for me to really enjoy any scenes with Coulter or the witches, and then I thought the finale was a step down from the preceding episodes. I really hope they’re given the budget to properly portray the really crazy poo poo in book 3.

What, really?

She's loving grand.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Reminder to everyone including myself that there’s only six or so more days left to take part in the TVIV top 2020 shows thing!

I'm still writing my list. And side eyeing a few shows that I feel guilty about not having watched.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Yeah, absolutely. They're assholes but there's not a lot of soul crushing hopelessness 2-3 times an episode.

Except that subplot with the wall.

(Which was great, except the ending, which sucked.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So Avenue 5 is looking more and more prophetic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Filming for Avenue 5's second season was underway back in December. No idea how it's going though.

I get the feeling it's one of those productions that HBO's going to continue come Hell or high water, given how many problems there were with the production of the show. Building super expensive sets for a nine episode comedy is one thing, but doing it twice is next level.

The entire spaceship is apparently only a couple of enormous setbuilds, including all the behind the scenes spaces you see at the very end of the first season. Their designer was talking about building it so that future directors would still be able to find new places to film the show come future seasons, but had actually been part of the set all along.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 7, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mulva posted:

Didn't that set, you know, burn down?

Partly yeah. They've rebuilt it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is anyone else watching Dickinson Season Two, (WHICH IS BACK, ~wooo) and if they are, is Pico Alexander meant to be doing a Trump impression, or have my brains finally drippled out my nostrils?

Oasx posted:

I thought it was a generic bad American comedy, but I may have had too high expectations after The Good Place.

Yeah, I got this vibe very strongly from the trailers, though I've not checked it out yet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mr Mayor was better than I thought it'd be, but I don't know if I'll stick with it for very long. Maybe if it can pull the kind of emotions that Kimmy Schmidt got out of me, but I 'unno.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Mr Mayor tonight and liked them, but is it just me or does it look insanely cheap compared to 30 rock? Everything seemed off a bit somehow.

It's the sets.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

So how do y'all feel about the new The Stand series on CBS? I've never read the book and I only recently tried to watch the 1994 tv miniseries and holy gently caress it was bad, but I like this new thing.

James Marsden is cool and I look forward to Alexander Skaarsgard chewing some scenery. I haven't seen Greg Kinnear in forever but he's cool too.

I'm enjoying it, particularly some of the casting. Owen Teague is really great too -- wish they'd kept in involved with the Locke and Key adaptation.

The reviews I've read say that Ezra Miller's meant to turn up at some point and completely blow the rest of the cast away tho.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm assuming it's a French show and I've literally never heard anyone praise a French show before.

Spiral's good.

Edit: Dude, Les Revenants? Everyone was so horny for that show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has anyone here watched 30 Coins on HBO Max yet? I just watched the first episode and I'm still pretty high on the sheer wackiness of it all.

It's possibly the funniest, weirdest thing I've seen in ages, only it's played so deadly seriously that you're almost not sure it's in on the joke. I completely lost it when the Sexy Mayor had be lured out of his house in the middle of the night, not once, but twice, to see the miracle murder baby -- their first attempt to do so gets sidetracked by travelling to his ex-girlfriend's house, whereupon he's trapped there by a sudden scary mob of elderly women, who turn out to be terrifying gossips. When the plot finally convinces him to actually investigate, everyone, including the people who are 100% certain something supernaturally evil is going down, insists that the only possible solution is child protective services.

Meanwhile, the mother of the miracle murder baby kills her husband with a barbie doll head attached to a coathanger then makes a web out of old knitting.

It's Evil Dead meets Resident Evil meets the Exorcist.

Meatgrinder posted:

We'd just wiped in Dragon Nec and the CR was just completely stalled by guild/ooc chat and I remember caring more about getting my corpse and a rez than whatever was going on in the US.

Yeah I was pretty young and far away from it too. I just wanted to know when Sailor Moon would be back on TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

Is there not a thread for Search Party? This show loving owns so hard

No thread, but show owns.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I might watch Six Feet Under knowing nothing other than it's about a family who run a funeral parlor. I assume there will be stuff about death. Curious how people feel about the show in this fine year of 2021 - has it held up?

It's still good.

It's one of those chewier HBO series that requires audiences to actively engage with the show (The Sopranos, The Wire) rather than just being melodrama (True Blood, Game of Thrones) -- though, I think, the quotidian conflicts make it easier to mistake it for the latter. Certainly, I remember there being a lot of misreads concerning some of the leads, particularly those involved in the show's central romantic arc.

There are some excellent performances from all the regulars, particularly from Michael C. Hall, Frances Conroy and Lilli Taylor. The show was also responsible for giving early career boosts to Ben Foster, Justina Machado, Rainn Wilson, Chris Messina, David Hornsby... the cast is stacked, basically.

Two things to note: the show is very tough going at times, particularly the fourth season, which is mean as poo poo, and features an hour of television that was absolutely designed to be as gruelling as possible to watch. It's attempting to do something with this, but it's not a chill watch.

The other is the way the show's sexual mores have dated; the way the cast express curiosity about threesomes etc. can occasionally come across as more quaint than intended, though I think the show largely handles it better than you'd expect. The show's also remarkably reluctant to show buttsex, despite featuring several queer regulars in landmark roles (it happens once, in a five second shot, captured as a reflection on a darkened window pain in the corner of the screen). You get the sense there were pretty consistent battles between the network and the show regarding content (though not as nearly as bad as the kind of stuff Starz was trying to pull over a decade later).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:siren:REMINDER:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObU602WwB6c

Servant! Season 2! This weekend!

Show owns! :siren:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

halfway through S1 of Search Party and yes this is good stuff thanks thread

Only gets better and better.

I think it's funny how both of Michael Showalter's comic thrillers (Search Party being more comic than thriller, In The Dark more thriller than comic) manage to naturally segue into a different kind of thriller plot with each season. It's pretty impressive.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Search Party report!

Scary! Weirdly sexy!

Waaaaay fewer jokes than you'd expect, but there's a killer freaky joke involving a new set that's weirder than anything you've seen on the show before.

Edit: Episode Two:

What the gently caress is happening in this show?

Is Drew dating and adult child?

Edit: Episode Three:

AAAH! Ann Dowd!

AAAH! Ann Dowd dressed as little red riding hood talking to a twink who's dressed up as Susan Sarandon Grandma Susan Sarandon.

This poo poo's wild.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 14, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Does the whole season use the 50's sitcom gimmick or is that just the pilot or something and then the rest is something else entirely?

It's meant to progress through different kinds of sitcom -- I Love Lucy, Bewitched, etc. -- and the trailers make it pretty clear that it's a variation on the "stuck in a Sitcom" episode type, rather than just some thematic weirdness.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh my God, that phrenology joke on this week's Dickinson.

Rapidly becoming The Dickinson's.

If WandaVision made an epsiode about the comedy stories we tell these days, will the stories be some parody of Dickson, The Detour, Wrecked, Kimmy Schmidt, Girls. I.e. stupid people being very genre and dramatic.

Or will it be something else?

Goddamit, this is all Weed's fault. It's one of the most important comedies because it kicked off the entire "comedy but DRAMATIC" genre.

"If you call me Mother one more time I'm going to bury us in this hole!"

Edit: is it just me, or is Finn Jones the best most excellent Lizard Person on Dickinson, a show which you all watch. It's probably because he still can't act.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched 4 episodes of The Stand and it's trash garbage and I refuse to watch anymore.

I dunno. First ep was fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

just finished Search Party S2 and while I love it, I have to wonder if there is an end game in mind or if they're just making it up along the way

Alia Shawkat is a real talent

Nah, current season is paying off a lot of material from Season 1, and it feels deliberate rather than the writers just having lucked into the plot working out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

Season 3 marks a major shift in tone and subject matter, and season 4 goes even harder. You can really tell that season 3 was made for HBO, in a good way

It wasn't, actually, only Season Four was.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked Disenchantment quite a bit more than the average watcher but had no idea a season dropped for like 2-3 days. Is Netflix kind of just abandoning it to die?

It's the algorithm. Either it thinks you'll find the show by yourself, or it thinks you don't want to know about the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

It absolutely is.

Also this had one of the best one line introductions to a side character I've ever seen.
(not a story spoiler) " We've never formally met, but I've been decorating your house for the past four Christmas seasons."
That sentence in that situation absolutely slayed me.

And the entire thing is a Little Red Riding Hood reference!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Search Party, 4:

I've no idea how Search Party is getting away with its villain being an ever queerer parody version of Norman Bates, but it is. It's loving amazing, Cole Escola owns -- I like him so much more here than in Difficult People. But you'd think someone would complain but I've not seen it. Possibly because it's technically, playing with drag and disguise, rather than trans themes, and also maybe because entire thing feels like a really weird tribute piece to underappreciated gay icon Susan Sarandon.

Serious question: Christopher Meloni and Susan Sarandon have both consistently drifted into alt comedy stuff (Wondershowzen, Neo Yokio, Happy, Rick and Morty), but why have they never starred together?

That said, this show has completely entered fantasy land now -- by which I mean it's increasingly become satirical and referential to the real world, rather than set there. And also because this show now features guns powered by actual magic.

also HOLY poo poo Alia Shawkat. I was just gonna write that John Reynolds (Drew) is super under appreciated for his acting, and maybe Season 4 is the year he'll break out, but holy gently caress she's completely blowing everyone else on this away. That said, uh, wtf is this a comedy show anymore?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

Dear Search Party S4 E4-6,

what

Sincerely,

Isaboo

(ya'll need to watch this show if you're not already)

I'm a jumpy girl! I jumped!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The way animation works, there's at least a second season in the works.

With hourlong(!) animated episodes, they must be really loving confident with this show. Or maybe Alexa just spat it out when she was asked for a franchising property "almost exactly like The Boys, while also containing a completely different premise to The Boys".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

If you got rid of the bad ideas in Invincible you'd be left with an all ages cartoon.

Remove all the other stuff, the sexual assault and whatever. Sure.

But what's wrong with a superhero cartoon with swearing and gore?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Euphoria specials are SO GOOD omg

Does everyone remember when Escobarbarian complained all the time?

This is a good look, don't get me wrong, but I'm also worried you've been bodysnatched.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

saw some chatter about Servant so I gave the first episode a shot and welp that was not what I was expecting

I shall continue

Yes. Yessssss.

Show owns.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

We've been binging Search Party and Drew looks identical to someone and its driving us crazy that we can't place it. At first I thought it was either Darren Criss as Andrew Cunannon, or milo yiannopoulos but I don't think its either. Help me out face blind goons.

I've been calling him Harry Hotter, if that helps.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero One posted:

[deeply upsetting poo poo]

wtf

How is that a show.

I don't like it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was won over by Babylon 5 by the end of the first season, but it was touch and go for ages in the middle. I felt like it lost a lot of momentum, and spent a lot of time on uninspired, generic plots that didn't capitalise on the interesting qualities of the setting.

The show's not Star Trek, but it spends an awful lot of time contemplating that idea. It becomes less anodyne later on, and becomes a bit more weighty as it bumps up its serialisation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

From a writing and story telling perspective it was/is pretty unmatched by any contemporary shows and even today a lot of new sci fi/fantasy shows can't pull it off as well as they did either from cancellation dangling over their head or assuming spending a ton of $$$ on sfx makes up for nonsense plot.

Side bar: but I think this is why I tend to gravitate towards cheaper sci-fi shows, even though a lot of them can tend towards crap. A smaller budget generally forces a show to become more inventive, particularly one that could otherwise rely on spectacle. So you end up with weird, interesting things, like Van Helsing's meat hook episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Umbra posted:

That was the show Wrecked, which actually was pretty good. Rhys Darby was great in it. If you are running out of covid-19 tv stockpiles, it's not a bad half hour sitcom.

A lot of the TBS comedies from that period were pretty fun. I didn't love how Wrecked started, but it got a lot better as it went along. The Detour and People of Earth were both pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Did anyone here actually watch Bridgerton? It seems to be the latest show my dad isn’t going to stop badgering me about until I actually watch it

Yep!

It's bad!