Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm rewatching The Wire and I'm worried about the gaping hole it will leave in me once I'm done (I'm also following Jerusalem's recaps from way back in 2013 after every episode).

I've never been a great consumer of television. Babylon 5 holds a special place in my heart, I've seen Breaking Bad, and I watched a few seasons of The Sopranos back in the day and it's on my "to watch" list. I really enjoyed The Americans.

What kinds of obvious picks am I missing as far as GOAT teledramas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I also really liked Six Feet Under recently. I'm trying to think if I've seen other series worth mentioning to give an idea of what I have and haven't seen...

I did see TD season 1 and the first two seasons of Hannibal, then I never touched them again. I enjoyed the ancient BBC adaptation of I, Claudius.

My "to watch" list at the moment is Deadwood, The Sopranos, Farscape (need my janky scifi) and Homicide: Life on the Streets.

I've found a lot of gems on this forum before so I'll be sure to at least watch a few episodes of all suggestions! Thanks, tv gurus.

Also, any recommendations on review series to go with the viewing are welcome. It is enhancing my viewing so much with The Wire.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I couldn't find a thread for The Americans and have been spoiled after going through The Wire, Sopranos, and part of Mad Men with Jerusalem's amazing commentary. Does anyone have any recommendations for companion pieces as I rewatch the series? Would love to read some thoughtful analysis on the historical context of everything that's going on.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I really enjoyed White Lotus, but I feel like it suffers a bit from the target demographic doing this:

Except instead of wondering who it's for they'll laugh and tut at the people a bit richer than them

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Did anyone watch the new episodes of Evil? Spoilers for episode 7.

I thought it was unbelievably dumb that Kristen spoke in episode 7. After everything that's happened in the series, was it really necessary to gently caress with the monks and their ancient vow of silence for some idiot mockery with a bit of statuary?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

The monks were super inviting towards people who they don't know 100%. Even on Official Church Business, someone who hasn't been training their entire life can't be trusted not to momentarily forget themselves. Definitely appreciated the standalone Monster of the Week episode after the hiatus, but now I'm definitely hooked and wanting more. I described this show to my friend as "just as good as you remember The X-Files being, but with demons instead of aliens".

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's pushing back against it all -- the ingrained sexism and racism, and the stupid poo poo that she doesn't believe in but is still loving with her head. Plus she's literally just gotten away with murder so she probably felt pretty invincible.

Sidebar: I wasn't the only one getting strong sapphic vibes during the episode, yeah?

I mean, that would make sense to me if her character were a teenager and not a respected and well-trained psychologist consistently characterized as acting very professional under most circumstances.

I really enjoy the series though, I hope it runs for at least a few more seasons

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

RIP Michael K. Willaims.

mistermojo posted:

the last episode of Evil was really good. this show is becoming more and more like Hannibal

Very apt comparison. I liked this episode way more than the previous one.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I hope this isn't bad so hard.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Evil is being so weird at the moment, I'm not convinced the last few episodes will pull all these story threads together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I like Evil and enjoy the episodes every week. They managed to tie the weirdness together in a much more satisfying way than I gave them credit for. I didn't like the very end of the last episode either though.

It has a very Hannibal vibe to me, which I hope doesn't extend to getting lost in its own aesthetic, which is how I felt about Hannibal eventually