Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Some amazing shots on Chucky this week. loving good show.

Glad it's doing really well in the ratings as well. Channel Zero team strikes again.

I'm honestly amazed at how much I'm enjoying it. I was afraid it was going to be some cheesy schlock that was constantly calling back to the movie series, but no, it's its own thing so far and it's genuinely good. I'm a bit apprehensive about the second half since apparently that's when the movie characters will start appearing, but I've got a lot more faith in it than I once did. I'm also hoping we get some answers, like what was Chucky doing in the five year gap in Seed's ending, what did he do between Seed and Curse, so on and so forth. I'm also curious if we'll see any more of the spell used in the last movie.

I did enjoy Chucky referencing Glen/Glenda though. What I enjoyed even more was seeing all the people getting pissed at "Chucky going woke." I mean I get political stuff being shoved into shows for no reason can be annoying, sure, but if you can watch that scene and think that Chucky is doing anything but using that to manipulate Jake, I don't know what to tell you. Chucky probably murdered Glen, and besides that I'm pretty sure he expressed disgust when the prospect of "being both" was brought up in Seed. So, yeah, context matters folks.

Also, I'm that rare person that's read all of the Chucky comics and both of the novelizations, so I was curious if they'd change the backstory established in the novelization of Child's Play 2. For those who don't know, in the book it's made clear that Chucky was raised by a single mother who was extremely abusive, and then one day he was finally pushed too far and strangled her. I really liked that and for years considered it canon, but this new explanation is even better. At first I thought it was gonna be something lame like "Chucky killed the guy who killed his parents!" but no, he still kills his mother, but this time its for no reason other than he wanted to.

Aside from that I also finally got around to Mr Inbetween's third season, and I'm sad we'll probably not be getting anymore of Ray Shoesmith. Finished up the first season of Barry today and I'm trying to decide if I want to rush to the second season or if I want to ration it out to prolong the enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

He's not woke, he's tolerant of one specific thing because his kid is. "I'm not a monster". There's plenty of monsters in real life who make exceptions for a minority group they or their loved one belongs to, it's far from "woke".

Oh yeah I agree, I wasn't saying that he was. What I quoted is what I've seen people say when they're whining about it, and I find it hilarious they're getting so pissy over something like that in the first place. Not just for the reason you said, but also like I said in the spoilered part, I'm pretty sure he isn't even genuinely being tolerant, he's just using the fact to gaslight this kid into trusting him. After all this comes on the heels of him being confronted and lying about what he did earlier in the episode. Seems like it was just a manipulation tactic on his part.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Finished Mayans season three. I already thought the show was doing a lot better than SOA, and in its first season without Sutter at the helm it's gotten even better, just as I expected it would. You can tell Sutter's not around anymore because they toned down the violence (nowhere near as much happens and a good chunk of it is offscreen even) and there's a refreshing lack of shock value bullshit. They also took the time to flesh out the other club members, which was really nice because after two seasons I couldn't tell you much about anybody in the club but EZ, Angel and Coco, because there really wasn't much to talk about. Now they all feel a good bit more rounded.

Basically, Sutter not being involved is the best thing that could have happened. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but they had a tendency to have episodes that wouldn't have felt out of place in the final seasons of SOA, so basically GTA missions with really long cutscenes between shootouts. There wasn't any of that in this last season. It felt like a solid drama series throughout and no episodes were a waste. Only bit I didn't like was Coco's subplot, but even that had its moments.

Overall I'd still recommend it. If you want to avoid the "SOA lite" period, you might even be able to start with this season. You'll miss some vital developments but I imagine you can pick up on what happened pretty easily. I don't know that I'd recommend that though, because even during the first two seasons I still feel like its highs were better than any of SOA's.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I wasn't all that impressed with the premiere of Dexter, and I had pretty low expectations, but with some recent leaks I trust it will at least be sufficiently terrible enough for a hate watch and not just plain boring. That was my main fear. I kinda spoiled it for myself a little bit though, by watching a lot of good antihero/serial killer TV leading up to it (Mr Inbetween, Barry, Mayans, Chucky), so even if it turns out to be good it probably just can't measure up. But hey, it's gonna have Clancy Brown. I'm hopeful he can be another John Lithgow or Ray Stevenson and elevate the show as opposed to being brought down by it like so many other guest stars, but even if he isn't I'll always enjoy seeing The Kurgan in stuff.

On the note of Chucky, pretty good episode this week. Normally I hate exposition bombs but I thought they tackled this one pretty alright. Oddly enough, I think I prefer a young version of Chucky being played by Fiona Dourif to Brad Dourif in a Tommy Wiseau wig like in Curse. Didn't see the need for the Jennifer Tilly voice dub on the other girl though.