Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Winfield may have originated the role but Giancarlo made it is his own :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How many episodes should I give person if interest? I like the concept but the first couple haven't really grabbed me
Ugly in the Morning hit it way more concisely but I really want to do anything but my job this afternoon so:

At its core, Person of Interest is a procedural with overarching scifi and conspiracy/mystery elements (eventually). The procedural spine of the show remains throughout (and the writers poke fun, with Reese occasionally voicing rebellion against the number of the week plots interfering with the more interesting longer arcs), but it becomes much more rewarding as the victims and perpetrators start to tie in to the bigger narrative more seamlessly.

I like to use Burn Notice as a comparison, as someone who enjoys both shows. The procedural and client of the week plots on Burn Notice are usually devices to obstruct the team from pursuing the bigger plot (because "someone needs your help, Michael"). POI starts off similarly, but as AngryBooch notes, many irrelevant numbers quickly become critical to the show. It's a really underrated stroke of genius by the writers--there's a suspension of disbelief required in procedural and of the week shows that there are a weekly supply of clients to help or crimes to solve or cases to diagnosis and that they're often thematically linked to the larger plot. When your numbers are delivered by a omniscient supercomputer designed to see connections that nobody else can, it'd be bizarre if most weren't in response to past plots or will be crucial to future conflicts. (It's me, the guy who ruins things via explanation)

It's tough to give a "how many episodes" answer, though, because I find the show's (intentional) transformation from basic CBS procedural to a thriller with a surprisingly hard scifi bent for network TV to be part of my love for it. If you're not seeing promise by the end of S1E7, then it might be worth skipping ahead. The journey is half the enjoyment for me, but I didn't mind early s1 the first time and enjoy it much more now that I know where it's headed.

S1E22-S2E2 is where the show starts to pay off a lot of the seeds it plants in S1, and S3E22-S4E3 upends the show's structure with a new (and inevitable) antagonist and explores the terrifying new normal. If you're on the fence through 7 and willing to give it another couple hours, you're probably better peeking at the show it becomes than watching the next few in order. Also because the best character in the entire show debuts as a guest star in S2E1 and quickly becomes a regular and my favorite castmember.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Aardvark! posted:

hey what's the deal with Chuck, I never watched it but need a light hearted show to tide me over until it's time to rewatch Psych again
Psych isn't a bad comparison, action comedy centered around a will they/won't they. I'd say elements of it have aged poorly, but most of its issues were apparent at the time. The show does struggle to find an appropriate tone given the disparity between spy stakes and the more mundane plots, but those issues fade when you accept that it all exists to serve the relationships between characters (in that way, it absolutely shares some Alias DNA).

The show lives and dies based on the relationships with Chuck, so casting someone who is both as effortlessly charismatic and endearingly tryhard as Levi was the perfect choice. I remember that season 3 was controversial and mostly disliked here, but I do think that S3E12/13 was basically the perfect conclusion to Chuck and Sarah's arcs, both individually and with each other. Yvonne Strahovski was also perfectly cast.

Most folks don't realize that it is part of the White Collar extended universe, after Bryce Larkin was assigned to commit and investigate Art Crimes in NYC.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

howe_sam posted:

Was Brandon Routh in season 2 or 3 of Chuck?
Season 3. I was not so big on it during my first watch but, in rewatching, I got a much better sense of what they were trying to do with him as a foil and appreciated it way more.

The episodes mentioned above were the midseason finale in Paris (so potential series finale #4 IIRC)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

X-O posted:

Psych and Chuck are definitely good comparisons. I did not care for the final season of Chuck much at all and kinda hated the ending though. That being said I still recommend watching it. I had a lot of fun with it until I didn't.

Yeah, despite loving it I bailed early and as with Dexter I have zero regrets

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What’s the difference between a prop gun and a real gun? I don’t understand how it happens
Best thread I've seen:
https://mobile.twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1451341915119628290
https://mobile.twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1451342975133536257

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Tommy's 100% right in that most people firing these guns are stunties or specialty bg (I worked on a few jobs where the fire team supervisor and all his people are all ex cop/military, which is great), but you definitely have to worry about random dayplayer #7 who has been riding a desk for the whole season but now has to wield an automatic weapon. Props/armor often have way too many people to wrangle for how potentially deadly blank guns are. For how miserable Punisher was to shoot, the stunts/ADs were very good about firearm and general stunt safety.
I forget that we have people who know and do things on the forums :) Thank you!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Aardvark! posted:

I'm on to season 2 of Chuck and I'm glad Morgan's hair isn't a nightmare helmet anymore and also Bryce Larkin can eat my entire rear end
Well I'm thankful that Bryce Larkin is dead and is not currently in my bedroom making out with my new girlfriend

And also Morgan's new hair.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

VagueRant posted:

Any recommendations for casually watchable detective stories on Netflix or Disney Plus?

Longform or procedural episodic, don't really care. Just don't want it to be utter trash (CSI: Whatever) or too much hard work (one of those really quiet danish dramas in the woods).
So, we're a straining at genre (and arguably at utter trash) but:
  • iZombie shares creators and a lot of sensibilities with Veronica Mars, and is the story of a braineating medical examiner who solves murders with her detective friend. Great lead, greater supporting cast, procedural af but also not what most people would immediately think of as a detective show.
  • Scandal, especially early, is a procedural show and about a group of fixers, lawyers, and Huck who needs to figure out who is lying (this week's client? Client's enemy? The president of the United States? Our protagonist?), why, and how to balance this with the broader plot and the need to have sneaky, passionate, secret sex. It's not a detective story but it scratches those same itches for me and anything it lacks in detectiveness it makes up for in overarching political conspiracy (it often has a real Alias energy) and shameless soapy plot twists (....also a real Alias energy but like, in a less positive way).
  • The arrowverse is at the very fringes of what we could even pretend counts, but does contain Jesse L Martin. "Detective" is a sub, sub genre at best. But there sure is a lot of episodes and they're generally schlocky fun

For procedurals (which are a background comfort food for me), I've found Hulu and HBOMax better, for what it's worth. Just figured I'd offer up some "close but not quite"s you're unlikely to hear from others.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gripweed posted:

I need some help. There's a joke I remember that I'm like 70% sure is from a TV show, but might be from a podcast or a movie or a tweet. I can't remember the exact wording, but basically two cops are discussing a case and one says "We need to see the autopsy results. Let's head to the morgue" and the other cop says "I hate going to the morgue. Every time we go there the coroner is eating a sandwich next to a dead body to show how blase he is about death"
https://youtu.be/GjcI-i9BH7Q?t=28m30s

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 29, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Escobarbarian posted:

Well maybe people should make it clearer when they’re replying to things!!!! Anyway Mock the Week is pure poo poo so that’s my interest gone

Fixed :)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gripweed posted:

Well that's disappointing. I'd misremembered it as funnier than that.
It certainly could have been a different occurrence! My first thought on reading your post was actually Psych but google led me to the link above which... I didn't get the sense is a hotbed of trailblazing comedic minds.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

navyjack posted:

Her big favorites are all stuff like grays anatomy, the various PD/FD copaganda stuff, and true crime murder, British murder shows, and tear-jerker feelings poo poo. I like sci-fi and action stuff. Both of us are willing to branch out a bit but I’m still trying to find some stuff for us to watch.

It can’t have brutal violence or too much “passionate” sex (even heavily implied where you don’t see anything). Bad language is fine.
Reiterating Person of Interest(hbomax), Only Murders(hulu) and Psych(prime). I'm guessing you'll be tempted to bounce off POI early while she'll like it. Stick it out, the journey of the writers smuggling technodystopian scifi onto CBS of all networks is worth it.

Alias (prime) toes the line on violence but is a decades old network show, to level set. Scandal (netflix) probably crosses it on both fronts (though if she's fine with greys and just leaves the room for Huck plots....)kidding, a bad idea. Veronica Mars (hulu) is a noir detective story masquerading as a teen drama.

Burn Notice (prime) feels like another one that ticks your boxes. Leverage (imdbtv/prime) and White Collar (hulu) are both lighter fare that should work well--though I'm genuinely unclear where the sexual situations line is drawn given Grey's and your thoughts of Westworld. Leverage will have less than White Collar, Matt Bomer Neal Cafferty Bryce Larkin fucks (in a basic cable kinda way).

I cannot stress enough that Once Upon a Time (disney+, I think?) is not good, but it wrings nearly every ounce of potential from its premise and if you can balance investing and mocking as you watch, will pay off. It's a soap crossed with Disney Fanfic. Also boomer catnip.

Chuck (prime) is mostly about not loving, so that should be safe. I love it, but definitely a tier beneath the other recommendations. Likewise Castle(hulu) and Lie to Me(hulu) are passable, mostly inoffensive procedurals. Arrow and Flash (netflix, with the rest of the arrowverse) have some detective/procedural bones to them, the latter with a less violent and lighter tone.

Hakkesshu posted:

Try Ozark maybe. Not the best show but it has enough things going for it that make it compelling. I don’t remember if it has much sex stuff, but I don’t think so?
There's a particularly uncomfortable to watch anal scene IIRC....

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

HOLY gently caress posted:

I also started watching Psych and am enjoying it but holy poo poo I hate the theme song so much.

This slander is only acceptable because you know I know you're not telling the truth

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1472993528363958278

Shiv: Tina
Tom: Amy
Kendall: Colin
Roman: Sandler
Frank: Jimmy
Gerri: Kenan

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Khanstant posted:

i don't know the show to know your pics but Tina Amy Kenan only ones I feel like I'd like.
This is mostly correct although Tina will also endlessly disappoint.

swickles posted:

I am only onnthe 1st season but Greg is Pete Davidson right?
I'll allow it. Bobby Moynihan and Beck Bennett are also acceptable answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rhyno posted:

How you gonna dis Keith Mars like that?

I hear on Flashpoint he plays the SWAT commander as Keith Mars playing the SWAT commander.