Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I just watched the first episode of it. It's pretty good and I say that being pretty burned out on fiction about how bad hollywood is. It's all stuff I've seen before so far but I've also seen it done a lot worse - assuming it continues to be good.

I watched the first episode of Undone yesterday which also stars Rosa Salazar and didn't like it, too, so even with that kind of bad taste in my mouth her as the main character won me over.

Gonna continue with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

watched 4 episodes of brand new cherry flavor now.

this is good.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 15, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Inspector 34 posted:

I never saw the trailer, the first I heard about it was in this thread when roomtone said they were burned out on hollywood being bad stories. Well this is not that. It's bizarre and occasionally funny/scary/intense, I don't really know how to describe it without spoiling a bunch of stuff.

Yeah. I still have four episodes to go but the hollywood sleaze is really just the setup, it turns out. Straight after episode one, which is decent anyway, it becomes fun and inventive. Rosa Salazar is doing really good playing hosed up and bewildered, I like Boro (keener) more as it goes on, and lou burke is an entertaining shithead, too. No boring subplots so far either, doesn't feel too padded.

Medullah posted:

All I can say is that it has the most hosed up of hosed up sex scenes that I've seen in quite some time in episode 4.

I loved this. I was falling on my side squirming in giddy disgust.

I'll probably finish it today.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

there must be a lot of australians in la these days because i'm noticing them show up uncommented in california shows. that didn't happen 10 years ago.

or maybe, there always was but it's only in the last 10 years or so with better diversity casting they just said gently caress it and put them in.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Finished Brand New Cherry Flavor. Overall, really good. Recommended if you like horror and/or revenge plots where people are sheming and at each other's throats.

ending:

I think some of the characterisations got away from the show but because there are supernatural elements in flux throughout it still basically works if you assume that Lisa is generally hosed up on magic half the time and Lou is always performing.

The ending, by which I mean the last 15 minutes only, was a bit disappointing. The resolution of Lisa/Lou's conflict was that Lou admitted that he turned on her because she didn't want to gently caress him, but that was so obvious I assumed Lisa knew that all along but apparently she didn't? So she laughs at him and takes pity on him. Okay. Also Lisa/Boro didn't really get resolved either - Lisa just ran away and Boro switched into Lucy's body (she's not called lucy i forget the character's real name) which means she'll presumably go after Lisa who has now ran away to Brazil and given up on her movie. I dunno, that's not a fun resolution to me and fun is really what this show was.

The backstory of Lisa's mother was the least interesting part of the show so I suppose that's why her returning 'home' to Brazil didn't land for me.

But that was just the last 15 minutes, I really enjoyed all of the schemes and disgusting things that happened along the way. Poor Roy didn't deserve to get his head ripped off and eaten.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

nah i disagree. it isn't how the scene was written or played.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah you're all thwarting my attempts to turn this into the brand new cherry flavour thread

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

False posted:

Also - is Rick and Morty bad now? The horse-sperm episode was bad enough I turned it off part way through and walked away.

I never thought it was great but it was dark fun for a while. In season 4 there was that episode with the masturbation dragons or whatever it was and I felt like I was watching some terrible youtube video parody of a children's show trying to be as obscene and disgusting as possible. There's ways to do that and be funny but I just felt like I was watching something a dirty man had cooked up in his dank room that shouldn't have been seen by anyone.

Anyway I went back when season 5 started and the glow seemed to be totally gone. Just a bunch of mean spirited horseshit. Although come to think of it there's an episode in season 1 where Morty gets raped by a magic bean, so it was really always like that.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

dude one of my favourite jokes every is just dennis in it's always sunny saying

of course i could flit the mental switch on all of my friends

i could, but i won't

it's ridiculous

but i probably will

heh heh heh

will you sit down please, he's always sucking on my pens

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i wasn't even going to watch his new special because the guy just isn't funny anymore. it sounds like this new one is more of the same with even less comedy and more complaining/hate.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i only watched an episode and a half of succession because it seemed like just another bad mood show about megarich people being awful to each other and getting away with bad things. i'm not really interested in watching barely fictionalised depictions of the scourge of the earth anymore. just tell me about the real people.

there's also something that annoys me about focusing on these people dramatically because they will inherently get sympathetic moments which they don't deserve.

i'm being hypocritical because i love mad men and don't apply this in general, but i really just wanted succession to gently caress off.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

mad men only ended 6 years ago.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

zoux posted:

Very impressive show and much to look forward to when you realize that season 3 is the season in which star trek serieses traditionally get real good

this really only happened once, with TNG. it doesn't apply to any other star trek show.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

oh he's definitely too old to play spike. it probably won't be a big deal, but the high collar they've put him in makes him look really stiff in a 'i'm too old to be flipping around' kind of way.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it changes it to either be like spike and vicious were in the syndicate for 20+ years together, OR all of this happened about 20+ years ago and spike's still drifting. it's not really the same character in either case.

spike wasn't wise or weary from having so much life experience, he was reckless and sarcastic because he didn't really care if he died. he was also pretty immature and childish a lot of the time with jet being the adult. now faye and jet are both about 15 years younger than him, which is a different dynamic. unless they totally ignore that.

so yeah he's too old to play spike unless they're changing stuff. they might just completely ignore it. he can be all right in the role despite being too old for it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i completed mgs4 and i have no memory of that or what is even happening there.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know anything about The Wheel of Time but the first episode wasn't grabbing me so I turned it off for now.

if you turned it off before halfway through, i'd finish the episode. it picks up.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

nate fisher posted:

True but I guess goes back to a discussion we had earlier about how they are no dramas airing currently that are truly at that top level of prestige TV (or are we just to spoiled by the golden age of HBO/AMC that it is harder for a show to reach that level?). I would argue possibly The Crown comes close, and the other show I would guess that is close is Better Call Saul (which I haven't watch at all, but I plan to before the final season) from what I heard.

Better Call Saul is good and well-written, but I think it is over-rated simply because it is more of an adult story than Breaking Bad which is shares a lot of characters with. Looked at in context of stuff like Mad Men/Deadwood/etc it isn't as impressive because it still has a very small world and, unlike Breaking Bad, isn't always that compelling. There are many episodes, especially later on, when I was captivated - but there are just as many where my reaction is just mild interest. It also lacks a strong comedic thread like Mad Men has which keeps you always enjoying it even if the plot doesn't matter. BCS is surprisingly uninterested in trying to be funny except occasionally, so it has even bored me at times.

Just for example, in most episodes Mike and Jimmy's storylines will not intersect or even reflect on each other in any way. So a storyline starts to get going and then you cut to something totally disconnected for a 5 minute high concept sequence before anything even happens. I don't know if people remember how irritating Breaking Bad good be when it slowed down. Episodes of Walter just stewing, because things can't progress in episode 4 of 13 this season.

Having said that, BCS gets pretty consisently better as it goes along in terms of being 'thrilling' so the lack of spark and small world of it doesn't feel as obvious. It has more meat to it than BB but still not enough and too much limp material to be considered a really great show for me.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 8, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

Trying to binge Halt and Catch Fire and I thought i liked some of the main protagonists but man, at the beginning of season 2, all of them have displayed character flaws that make them unlikeable...which I guess also makes them human. I wonder if it's too much or too naive to expect some redemption for some of the people at the end of the series.

It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

dexter new blood is just season 9 of dexter with a subtitle for marketing purposes.

twin peaks the return is really different from the original show but still relies on it's entire story

i suppose they're sequel shows, is the best way to put it, but they aren't their own thing

the thing is shows are now detached from the idea of seasons or schedules, so the whole season thing isn't baked in anymore. this is just the way it is now. things will rest for periods of time and come back when they sense audiences want it.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 23, 2021