Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Hakkesshu posted:

Foundation is good but I have the suspicion that they extremely blew their load on the first two episodes and most of the rest of the season is just gonna be people in rooms talking. Which might still be good, hopefully!

TBF, that would be an extremely faithful adaptation of Asimov. Describe giant planet-scale atomic reactors being replaced by small things that can fit on a belt and then just have some characters sit around and talk. Throw in a Steven King-esque nerdy author who gets the girl and you've basically cracked his formula:

1) Cool set piece
2) People talking in room
3) Nerdy author gets the girl
4) More people talking in a room with a cool set piece outside the room, or possibly in the set piece.
5) Problem solved

Except for that one plotline where a jock gives everyone a swirly so they take pity on a short nerdy guy who ends up being the bad guy. What a twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Timby posted:

Has everyone forgotten just how thoroughly JMS has proven that he loves to get high off his own farts?

You could argue that he only has one good story in him but, dude, this is literally that one story.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Did Netflix ever release that furry dating show? That looked like Grade-A garbage TV.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I enjoyed Midnight Mass but I wouldn't really call it "scary". Some mild gore but it's more just blood.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Is Chapelle wearing a Vinylon suit in this special?

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

i wasn't even going to watch his new special because the guy just isn't funny anymore. it sounds like this new one is more of the same with even less comedy and more complaining/hate.

In past specials, he had a point about the progress of gay acceptance vs black acceptance in America, even if it was calibrated for maximum offense. This time, he just named that and then went off about how he has a trans friend so what he says is cool.

It was Jay Leno level comedy and TERFy as gently caress where that was also the only topic.

But I do appreciate celebrities wearing Juche fiber.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Evil is fun to have on in the background while I am working, thanks for the recommendation thread!

It's good enough that I find myself rewinding semi-often because I missed an important point while writing an e-mail. That's better than, for example, Y: The Last Man, where I am content to just miss stuff.

The vow of silence episode kinda hosed me over but I was able to wait until my lunch break to make it work.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I feel like you could do something with SS2. Have an Event Horizon/Aliens-style set-up where Citadel Station has gone dark so a team is sent to investigate. It's a mixed team of scientists and engineers/hackers from TriOptimum and UN soldiers. Once they get in range they are contacted by a survivor (Polito) who tells them about genetic experiments gone wrong. Since TriOptimum is a private corporation there is some fudging with who the experimental AI with the UN POV characters thinking it is XERXES until the reveal about 1/3rd of the way through the 1st season (or the finale of S1 if they want to draw it out but I feel sooner is better). From there you have shifting alliances of UN vs SHODAN vs THE MANY. From there you have plenty of plotlines to pick from. Maybe go a little Earth 2 and have them encounter the HACKER or some other small pocket of survivors if the cast gets lean due to deaths.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

In the behind the scenes they made a big deal about filming in a bunch of countries so it's weird that some of the best scenes are just shot on a set that could be anywhere.

Isn't that how Michael Bay gets AAA performers for all his movies? He takes them to cool places and lets them do cool stuff they wouldn't otherwise be able to do? I could see Apple taking a similar approach, they have the money.

OK Everybody! You put in a good 8 hours in front of the green screen, I know that was boring. But we have the next two days getting into character for the Imperials by eating at the finest restaurants in Paris.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

I watched the first three episodes of Dopesick, I wasn't familiar with the events that the show covers but is is super compelling so far.

Have them done the awesome rap yet? I still use that to pump me up sometimes when I need to get some $$$ and am not feeling it.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
The Strain is not a good show. You will be hate-watching it by the end. But it is never boring. So it is considerably better than a lot of other TV out there. It definitely knows what is it and makes no bones about it. I have no regrets on having watched it when it was airing.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's a tragedy.

All of this talk about replacing practical gun effects with post-processing always makes me think of those god awful TWD shots like:

Unless you are a gun nut no one gives a poo poo. It looks fine.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
The only dude I know liked Wheel of Time became a cop. It was and has always been trash and it appeals to trash.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Did the crews have access to Wild Turkey and was that an official promotion? I thought "the drink of choice for dangerous lone gunmen" was an odd take but there was a new Russell at the helm and Hunter S Thompson had fallen into relative obscurity so his cache had been basically spent so a new approach made sense. Mass shootings weren't the phenomenon they are now and most of America was still insane from 9/11 so going with a powerful image makes some sense.

I always wondered about that, so I figured I'd ask.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Lodge 49 is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen. I haven't had a good laugh-out-loud comedy since Search Party. Just uncontrollable belly laughs.

The funeral is maybe funnier than the one from Always Sunny. I don't know, I've seen the Always Sunny one so many times and it still holds up but I feel Lodge 49 has potential to maybe beat it? It's amazing.

OnlyBans fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

WhiteHowler posted:

I watched the first episode of Lodge 49 tonight based solely on this post.

It was interesting and had some funny beats, but I'm not sold yet. The characters don't seem likeable enough to root for, but they're not irredeemable shits like in Always Sunny or Search Party. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

I thought the same, wait for the funeral. That is where it *clicked* for me. Like so many mysteries, all of a sudden I was standing over the maze and could see everything. And it is hilarious.

Everything before that is build-up.