Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or not. My whole point is that things can improve and just saying “we’re all hosed, this virus is the worst thing that has ever happened” is weird, dumb, and not really borne out by all the other pandemics that have happened.

No, I can't say I agree with diminishing people's suffering (then calling it weird and dumb) because it could be worse. I don't think you mean it to sound that way, or at least I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Suffering is suffering. I just hate that whole “we’re hosed, utterly hosed and there is no point in having any hope” attitude. I probably shouldn’t have called it weird and dumb but seeing the constant after effects of doomscrolling making this virus into some kind of supervillain that’s always one step ahead tiresome.

The virus itself isn't the whole problem.

But yes, in a vacuum, disregarding literally every other aspect of how we've handled the virus and all the knockon effects and collateral damage, as a matter of only medical science, sure ok, it isn't that bad, relatively speaking.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

All live-action dubs suck

The weirdest dub I can think of is the first Mad Max movie which is an English language film but they dubbed it with American actors.

I didn't know about that, how bizarre. I don't remember the accents being heavy, and that decade gave us Crocodile Dundee and Outback Steakhouse, the US had kind of a thing for Australia at the time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

For me:

Animation = Dub (unless it's really badly done).
Live Action = Sub

I'm sure that probably annoys some people and is sacrilege, but my reasons are:

Animation usually has a more stylistic flair that I would like to appreciate without bouncing between watching the visuals and reading subtitles. Also, voice acting is usually a bit more 'larger than life' than live acting that benefits from localization a bit more.

That's generally where I land too. My brain doesn't like it when voices don't match the person. With an actual human performing, the voice and the actions are a lot more inextricably linked than with animation. Audio being massively out of sync bugs me for the same reason. So subs for live action, dubs, if they aren't total garbage, for animation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's not about basketball? Huh. Kind of a bad name then honestly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Not as bad as The Alienist.

Being historically accurate doesn't make for good marketing.

I had always assumed that show was yet another procedural where a not-cop helps the cops (ala Sherlock holmes anything, castle, psych, the blacklist, and 8 billion others), but this time with aliens for some reason.

After googling it, it seems I was basically right, but without the aliens. Which is moderately disappointing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hughmoris posted:

I didn't realize they were still trying to make a HALO tv show. Feels like they announced that back in 2012.

They did, and it came out, i saw it on Netflix or something years later. Forward Unto Dawn. I remember it being surprisingly ok.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean the animation kind of fit the show back then? I'm just personally not a huge fan of the 'putting 2D characters into a 3D space' thing generally.

Even if someone hated the art style, at least it was an art style. That was some really bland design and cheap cgi animation, and that's a crappy thing to do to any show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Probably a free trip to Pedo Island.

Please do not besmirch the good name of press junkets aboard the Lolita Express. It was clearly named out of a deep love and respect for Kubrick's film.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember Threshold, I kept trying to think of it, but my brain kept reminding me of Surface.

Three shows with almost the exact same premise came out that year, Threshold was the good one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

I want to say The Event started interesting, and then was lame for a while, but then got really interesting again just before it was canceled. I'm relatively certain I remember Ricky Jay and Charlie from Lost being, uh, secret agent physics professors...? Or something like that

Or maybe I'm thinking of Flashforward

Flashforward had some really cool ideas and then did absolutely nothing with them. Wasn't there a dude that knew he was going to die imminently because he didn't flash forwards or something? What a shame.

All I remember about The Event is that it had Dr Weaver from ER and an airliner (and also it was bad).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Jericho was good.

Revolution, had a good pilot but just fell on it's face every single chance it could get immediately after. Hell, they had Giancarlo Esposito, immediately after Breaking Bad and just did nothing with him.

Jericho was great for a network show, Lennie James needs to be in more stuff.

Revolution I didn't remember until this post, but yeah, it had potential, then every time it tried to do something cool it derailed it to do family drama. That show was basically Fallout but they somehow hosed it up. At leasg it got bad really quickly and didn't waste your time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bou posted:

Do i remember right that Revolution was the one in which the Power went out and then some Google-Nerd became the unwilling Prophet of an all-powerful nanomachine-cloud thingy?
I kind of want to rewatch that now... :honked:

Yeah that's the one. The main character girl, or her brother maybe, could turn the power back on or something as well, which was why Giancarlo Esposito wanted to kidnap him.

It was so stupid, and it's a shame it didn't go longer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

They announced a new show with them as 40 year old dads and I think a movie was also announced.

Maybe Judge will remember how to do the Beavis voice this time.

He should get someone else if it screws up his throat or whatever.

Not sure how I feel about the whole idea, but the last revival was great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarsPearl posted:

Watched The Watch the other night and it brings up a question that a few adaptations have brought up, which is why you would bother to pay money for the rights to a fairly obscure property if you're going to change 95% of it.

Because the number of people you think will pay attention to the show solely because it's Discworld (and thus money you will make) is greater than the licensing fee costs.

How accurate the assumption and whatever voodoo math they use to quantify it is, your guess is as good as mine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mistermojo posted:

the thing I don't understand about The Shield is why Vic needs money for his kids so badly. Wasnt he involved with the gangs and getting his cut? what happened to that? it doesnt really show him wasting money on anything

What do cops like other than money?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

For real. Locally we have a cop who strangled his wife, plead guilty and struck a plea that if he completes his community service and passes an interview he gets reinstated.

Simone Magus posted:

To crush their enemies, to see them driven before them, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Right: power.

The money, sure, but I always saw Vic as more interested in power.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2021

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

socialsecurity posted:

I've been watching a bunch of standup on Netflix, a mistake really. 95% of it these days are comics complaining about "cancel culture" and "bloggers" nonstop it's petty and pointless.

I think I hate "cancel culture" more than "pc run amok." It's the same old entitled "but i want to be an rear end in a top hat" argument but with the added fun of usually being said by people who have literally got the largest platforms imaginable to whine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Days Like These was a remake of That 70s Show that was so bad, they never tried anything like it again.

Every time anyone tries to recapture that magic they fail to see what made the show good had nothing to do with the 70s and just vomit references. That 80s Show was such garbage.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

It's a crime procedural on CBS. I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

Actor dies.

I'm just proving the point really.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Like that would stop CBS

I had to go look, and yeah sure enough that law and order was on NBC

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think bleachjng hair was way more common at the time.

But I don't think that show was especially accurate to anything except Claire Danes being a good actress.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

No one cares if you dye your hair these days, in the 90s it could get you suspended from school

Wearing a trenchcoat could get you suspended in the 90s, I wonder what stupid stuff like that was going on in schools before the apocalypse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Is his name still Spike Spiegel and if so will they explain why an Asian guy's name is Spiegel

His mother was an artificial gravity machine aboard a spaceship with a hyperdrive, and his dad was a guy named Spiegel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Amazon has both a Lord of the Rings and a Wheel of Time series coming out this year. Seems a bit odd that they haven't released anything on either of them, seeing how it's already spring. You'd think that they would put as much space as possible between them to not cannibalize each others hype, in which case they should probably get on it.

Or maybe one of them is bumped til next year and it just hasn't been announced. A black box strategy of production and even premise feels very risky for LotR especially.

This all makes total sense because you can basically just shoot the first WoT book immediately after the sets and costumes are done with filming LotR.

I joke, but I do hope it's decent. WoT that is, I don't really think LotR needs to be remade.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well if they're doing The Silmarillion they really should call it that, but I know they won't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EricBauman posted:

I hate that some people I know still like them because it's only a matter of time before I can't contain myself and break their heart by telling them that the Foo Fighters regularly performed at 'HIV and AIDS have nothing to do with each other' benefit events

Wait, what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Okay, it was literally 20 years ago and Dave has worked his rear end off to walk it back and do good things since then.

https://goat.com.au/health/dave-grohl-and-foo-fighters-show-how-you-walk-back-a-wild-move-like-backing-hiv-deniers/

I see, the way that poster put it made it sound a lot more recent.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In 2021 finding out someone famous is just a scientologist is like oh, well at least they aren't an antivaxer, sex monster, avowed fascist, etc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

abelwingnut posted:

what in the unholy gently caress is that?

WHO WATCHES THESE SHOWS?!?!

Do they get CBS in Afghanistan? If not, i can think of about 3500 Americans who will not be watching it. Maybe their dads that fought in that same war can record it for them and all the interpreters the US left for dead rather than letting them immigrate as promised.

So many lols, can't wait.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

Do you have so little faith in humanity, that you think more than a small percentage of them have extremely dark desires that they're willing to act on? That's kinda messed up.

Can we get some clarification on what counts as a small percentage for this?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The vaccine isn't a panacea, but America will sure act like it is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I don't understand how people in the military can opt out. It's the loving military.

Perhaps they're worried about what would happen if they tried to force it. I'm pretty sure they can.

Also, good? More for the rest of us stuck dealing with the vaccine thunderdome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

The Strain was not good TV, but it was fun bonkers TV.

The Strain would've been so much worse if it had been good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

el oso posted:

The Strain is pretty important because it has the absolute, ABSOLUTE worst child character in the history of TV shows that you want to die

The male lead and his kid were just the worst, the real stars of that show were Vasiliy and the old vampire hunter guy 100%.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rush Limbaugh got literally everything he wanted.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

What even is happening on Walking Dead now

Like isn't it a full decade into the apocalypse by now, why haven't the zombies all rotted away to nothing

TWD talk just makes me remember how much better Z Nation was than that show in almost every way.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

It's Q! I don't care how badly they cock things up, I just want to see Stewart and de Lancie play off each other one last time.

After season 1 of that show I'd expect them to do something like only actually have John de Lancie on set for an afternoon, and for the rest of the season it's like Picard and Crusher's clone child and they're also Q jesus and really good at punching and kicking dudes with guns.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doom2020! posted:

edit:

For once it really is not you and it really was a "better" age.

In the same way that the mythical 1950s were the idyllic good old days for chuds, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

Someone tabulated Bartlett's accomplishments and it was mostly cutting Social Security and not going to War.

Life imitates art I guess, at least with the catastrophically low standards audiences have set for liberal politicians.