Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the first episode. Her FBI colleagues are being douches to her for some reason and they do a prank by leaving lotion in her desk drawer which doesn't make any sense.

Wait... is she a great big fat person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I mostly enjoyed Trial of the Chicago 7 when I saw it. It had some really nice, well-edited sequences. But the more I read about the stuff they just loving made up or changed or lied about, it cast this weird, almost nefarious pall over the whole thing. Why tell this story at all, and who benefits from it, if you're going to turn it into some feel-good pablum that undermines the gravitas of what actually happened? Also the ending was laughably terrible even at the time, and knowing it was completely fictionalized to give the story a dramatic "happy" ending just... sucks.

Hollywood.txt

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I mean, for fucks sake,
they didn't actually even have the tournament, all they were doing was trying to not get murdered before the tournament. Which then never happened.

I thought for sure Cole's power was going to be absorbing hits and storing up kinetic energy to direct back at the opponent which would have had a good link to his fight style at the beginning, but then he spawns some sort of bladed tonfa so I guess it was armor with blades?

X-O posted:

As I said in the BSS thread the fight scenes are all technically well executed but they lacked the fun that was needed for this film to work. No fight in the film was as fun to watch as Scorpion vs Johnny Cage in the first film. The film's biggest sin is having a lovely Shang Tsung though when he was the standout in the original. The new guy was super boring.

I freakin LOVED the original and even enjoyed the lovely lovely sequel but this one was just "ok" for me. Kano and Kabal were funny and highlights in the film. I really liked Jax, Kung Lao and Liu Kang, thought Sonya was decent but Shang Tsung and Raiden were mostly just there and Cole was... effin terrible. The actor, the character and the dialogue they had him do made me groan every time he was on screen. His power is soooooooo lame and his personality is that Hollywood mandate of "MAH FAMILY!!!" His family solely exist to be supportive but rescued and Cole isn't even portrayed as exceptionally skilled in any way and just got lucky by the power of his parentage as, again, typical Hollywood. The only good thing about him is, if a sequel is made, Shao Khan or someone just immediately lops his head off as his power is, again, incredibly lame with the most obvious weakness that nobody takes advantage of. Also his name Should have been Kole as <insert GOB> C'MON! They could have used Johnny Cage, still had a white American insert and lost NOTHING. Johnny Cage is a washed up has been/never was D list Van Damme and that could have been close enough to Cole minus the MAH FAMILY! Blatant producer meddling always annoys me as they very seldom add anything as it's always some rich boomer whose creativity begins and ends with powerpoint presentations, something from his childhood a thousand years ago or the whims of his spoiled kids/grandkids. I'm probably just bitter they wasted Hiroyuki Sanada but at least he got a payday.

Khanstant posted:

The fight structure was annoying as hell, even if the camera work wasn't so blinky. Really made the scenes with multiple fights going on at once a mess. Whole thing felt like a Netflix pilot or something. I had fun watching it. I'll probably forget it in a few days forever. The most satisfying part for me was "your soul is mine" because I had genuinely forgotten why I said it the way I did whenever I killed a bug or rodent. Dude must've said it in the original too.

This is going to make me sound like a super dork but "Your Soul is MINE!" in that old movie tone is something I still do as well. "You will engage in Mortal Kombat" and my random Christopher Lambert impressions were also spawned from the original movie. OG Shang Tsung was amazing.

I've watched worse but really any Shaw Brothers studios/HK/Jackie Chan film was better. The original MK didn't have the old school fighting but it still had some heart and was fun. This was just ok. I did laugh at some of the lines but really felt just kind of "meh" and something I'll forget about in a week. MK2 was really bad but at least I remember watching and mocking it a few times. Again the character of Cole actually made me enjoy the whole film less. He was this really bland anchor which is funny as I have liked Lewis Tan in other things and know he can do fighting on film.....just not with this script. So yeah... Lewis Tan is cool and no slight on him.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Having 2 extremely sarcastic white guys would have been way too much. I don't fault them for not using Cage at all.

Agreed with studio mandated Cole sucking though.
I am in the camp of just replacing Cole with Johnny Cage completely. American White Has Been/Never Was who expects the world to bend over backwards for him because he is a "star"? Give him an arc where he learns to not be such a poo poo and grows from it and becomes a decent person serving something more than his own needs/wants. I get that they want an American White guy in the movie but you could so SOMETHING more. I'd rather the movie just focus on the other guys or any other guy. If you had to have a good guy "MAH FAMILY" Cole let him be the minor character a bad guy kills in order to let the others know he's bad. Still pretty much well trod turf but anything would be better than making him the main.

Slamhound posted:

Debris is okay and this week’s episode was good, but it’s not quite where it needs to be.

Right now it has the feeling of a promising show that gets cancelled in the first season because they were too timid with the plot progression.
Really enjoyed this episode and, at this point, I'm actually rooting for Debris to escape it mediocre roots. Not completely sure why overall but I know I really dig the dark retro synth soundtrack. Helps it stand out to me.

Rhyno posted:

I was thinking about how much influence Entourage really had on 20 somethings when it was on the air. I was working in a bar and there were easily a dozen groups of regulars that were trying to conform themselves to the friend dynamic on the show. It was fascinating and extremely pathetic.
As someone in that age bracket during its latter years I can confirm that this show did have an influence on the prevailing culture: many of us mocked guys that were the obvious fans. It was a television show made for douchebags by douchebags. I remember watching it off and on but it was never a great show. You wanted great HBO you had Rome, Carnivale, CYE, The Wire, OZ, Six Feet Under and Deadwood. Even at its height of popularity, Entourage was just a show. Some thought it a was a fun show and had some good Bro moments but most never thought it was brilliant television. Really every bit of good it did was far eclipsed by a million shows since and it's flaws were always present but seem even moreso when most of us realized being an rear end in a top hat and using edgy words wasn't funny any more.

As far as people not giving it the due props? Doug Ellin asking for extra recognition for something completely underserved and mediocre? Stop being such a millennial. I say this AS a millenial. You made a dumb show. You want a gold star maybe create something more profound than gay jokes, penis jokes and "bro we are soooo wasted" moments.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 29, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

It had an impact on how actual cops/DAs view cases.

I had a chem professor who told us a story about how an area PD department contacted him wanting him to test some blood samples and tell them if the blood in the back of a pickup they pulled over was human or animal blood, and he had to tell them (in the early 2000s) that it wasn't possible without some actual, serious lab work put in that would cost a lot of money. They thought he could just grab some chemicals off the shelf, make a mixture, and then drop it on the sample and give them proof. It's been 15+ years but I remember at the time it came up wrt CSI and how everyone and their grandmother had this expectation of "science man make magic" for anything crime related.

CSI really did a huge disservice in many ways, from creating the belief of expecting borderline super-science going on in criminal investigations, to also presenting as "ironclad evidence" a lot of junk science like bite mark and shoe print analysis.
Pre-forgive a bit of a diatribe
Talking about 24 earlier as well as this point made me remember all the talk about torture. 24 had Jack Bauer doing "whatever it took to get answers" and it lead to a period of time where people did whatever it took to get answers. After a bit they found out that people just gave them whatever answers it took to stop the torture and was more than like to just back up whatever bias/theory the interrogator already had. After a bit the best way to get info, people found, was by motivating people to give them info. You still gotta fact check and find multiple sources but offering food, favours or cold hard cash is far more reliable. Hell doing like Jack and putting the gun barrel to the guys head only makes them cooperate while the barrel is pressed at their temple. Once you go away they are going to hate you even more. All that is besides the fact that torture is generally considered by modern view as kinda evil. So why did people in the civilian world and new recruits to various agencies think this was a good idea? Television. Whether for good or ill, things people see on television since birth make them think that is how the world works. In America, for example, cops don't have to do the whole "you have the right to remain silent" or you get out of jail free. Internal Affairs aren't bad guys looking to keep real cops down and public defenders and Defence Attorneys in general aren't just scumbags looking to make a buck.

One of the weirdest COVID watches I've done in an insane amount of true crime; especially, Dateline with Keith Morrison as his voice is dreamy. I have seen good cops, lazy cops, dumb cops and straight up villain cops. I've seen prosecutors out for any blood and laughing at the consequences and defenders that genuinely care about the law and human rights. Been really interesting to watch and waste some time and my friends think I'm a bit daffy, this long haired stoner guy digging on Dateline but this poo poo can be fascinating. Sadly seen waaaaaaay too much to have even a semblance of faith in the American Criminal Justice system but even there most of the actual criminals getting caught believe 100% in what they have seen on tv. Maybe people are super dumb but maybe if everyone around you keeps saying the sky is purple then one day you go like "yeah its totes purple dude" just so you aren't the weirdo. Just all this convo about societal programming and the like makes me think and not in the silly conspiracy way. If old boomers only watch Fox then the reality must be, to their faulty logic, election was stolen, democrats want their guns, evil immigrants want their jawbs. Fox even tells them that Fox is the only place for Truth and everyone else lies. Would be great if they didn't just jump in the barrel whole hog but they are old and tired and don't want to use the newfangled clicker plus... the guy they already trust is telling them not to go anywhere as the world may die if they don't. That type of poo poo is genuinely harmful and the only time I think anything should truly be cancelled.

bull3964 posted:

How hosed up is it that Batman is often referenced as having an impeachable moral code simply because he won't kill. That's a core tenant of his character, the bare loving minimum you would hope for when fighting crime, to not execute suspects.

Actually, any comic nerds know, is that meant to be intentional commentary on the police system?
Not really... though there have been a ton of comics influenced by society's reaction to "X".

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/2/18292128/batman-no-killing-rule-zack-snyder

There's an article that tells about why Batman stopped shooting fools or snapping their necks.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

animals can't talk english

Can too.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

isaboo posted:

Been binging through Mr Inbetween. S1 was alright but S2 is a big step up imo.

This thread strikes again. Heard so much good I've been giving her a go and I freaking LOVE IT except now I'm worried about a friend of mine as we watched the anger counseling scene. Only on season 1 but really effin good and excited to see a better season 2 since I have found season 1 among the best shows I have watched in these covid times. Thanks goons yet again for an amazing recco.

Is Ted Lasso available to Canadian goons? You guys keep mentioning it. Still wish "Abandoned" had another season on Crave as I'm dying for a road trip but waiting my turn for a vaccine and it's taking a while.

Wafflecop posted:

Makes my time spent watching the show an even bigger waste than it felt. Some of the most atrocious pacing I have experienced in a show. They could have cut episodes 2-5 out completely. It would've been far better to do all of the 1920s stuff in one go rather than dragged out over the whole season.

Oh well, there are plenty of shows about evil-Superman out now that are doing this a million times better. Nothing of value has been lost.

Agreed. Cheap looking and NOTHING special. Shadow and Bone wasn't perfect but at least it was somewhat different than a bunch of other better shows. I think the only reason people enjoyed Altered Carbon season 1 so much was that it was different. Still think the worst crime any show can make is not necessarily to be bad but just bland and boring. Jupiter's Legacy was boring as gently caress and the "twist" at the end of the true bad guy was so groanworthy and made me hate the show; especially because it invalidates that earlier scene of him "endangering" himself to go into the bad guy telepathically. So Mr Mastermind fakes the danger, brings in his daughter to help and then actually goes inside a dying mind and has a chance to die...for reasons? Just fake it and then fall to the floor since he was already deceiving everyone. You might be able to excuse "no other way to bring his daughter/telepath assassin near him" but really... no. It was dumb. Also backing up the aging special effects were high school terrible. Also in high school I had a teacher that showed me you could soften the lighting and use black and white film or a colour filter (sepia) to hide wrinkles and ageing if you couldn't afford to cast old and young seperate actors and use wigs and fake beards that weren't ridiculous. That was in the mid 00s so Netflix with giant rear end budgets has no excuse. Nothing of value was lost indeed.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

How dare they hold him off till the last episode! Man deserves center stage in everything.

Absolute truth. Even sadder is his character just radiates menace and power in a way nobody else comes close to. Him as a season two and beyond big bad (think Farscape Scorpius) would have been so much fun. I’m probably the only person that wishes it had another season or two. Still think the soundtrack was nice and I really liked the alt world time loop episode. Oh well... at least it wasn’t as painful as Almost Human dying in one season.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Why does no one talk about Black Sails?

I don't even like it that much but I feel gaslit as gently caress that the show with the best production values this side of Game Of Thrones, Toby Stephens giving probably the most intensely compelling portrayal of an irredeemable bastard in TV history, an incredible CARRIAGE chase long-take, shots of people clinging to masts being DUNKED INTO THE SEA in a storm and PULLED BACK OUT in one shot, and probably the boldest portrayal of a historical gay relationship I've seen - is treated like it never existed? Like I've only met one human who has actually watched it.
Insanely good production values and some outstanding performances throughout but it still felt... lacking something to make it among the all time greats. Can't even say why. The Vikings actor that played Ned Lowe was so quietly menacing I want to see him pop up more often and Toby's tragic love story was some powerful stuff. Titus Pullo as Blackbeard was such a great get and yet.... it felt like it fizzled. Imperfect but a show well worth watching.

Hughmoris posted:

Is FX's Legion worth getting back in to? I watched Season 1 and enjoyed it but I think I recall that the quality jumped all over the place in later episodes.

I know from a bit ago but I loved Legion. One of my favourite series but it has flaws that I am fairly sure are 100% Noah Hawley. It can be a bit pretentious, up its own rear end and also tends to wander off like it got a bit too high and had the munchies. All that said: if you enjoyed season 1 you should like season 2 and 3. Season 2 had a couple of character arcs that went to an uncomfortable place ( it makes it hard to keep rooting for the main characters) BUT season 3 had a really good ending to the entire show. Not for everyone but definitely worth a watch.

So goons strike again. A pal of mine and I watched Ted Lasso. I have never seen an American show so uplifting and happy. I really feel like it was shot and run secretly by fellow Canadians pretending to be from Michigan or something. Really, really excellent recommendation and I will be getting apple tv for season 2. Seriously love this show. TVIV has yet to fail me.

Any of you guys watched the cartoon Final Space? I started it off as a larf and have become addicted to the show. No idea why but I love it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The World Inferno posted:

Hawley's done enough good that idk, willing to attribute the successes to him too. It's a weird as hell show, but shoots for the moon, and even though it has a bunch of misses, you can't help but admire the rockets that land. Cause gently caress, when they hit, they hit the spot. It feels like this generations The Prisoner in a lot of ways - brilliant design, characters, kind of crash lands.

I've come to really admire shows that manage to not fall apart – your Deadwood's, Breaking Bad, Avatar, etc. Not worth not holding every show to that standard, and plenty to love of the Legions out there.

That said, still funny how Game of Thrones faceplanted so hard that it retroactively made it hard to even revisit the good ol' days.

I like Hawley too and will forever give him a shot for Legion and Fargo seasons 1-3 as I hold those as some of my favourite of all times shows. Season 4 of Fargo should have been as good but it whiffed and somehow left me more disappointed than usual with a bad show.

Agreed on the GoT. I don’t know ANYONE who talks about it favourably or reminiscences about watching it. Most of the comments ive heard about GoT in general are the comments on here. Even Dexter has more anticipation about rewatches and sequels, even if it is 90% traincrash hopefuls and Chicky Hines memes. Absolute pinnacle of being memory holed.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

I mean, part of the point of Utopia was the entire cast was broken, awful people. Arby is only "good" insofar that he turns against the antagonists. Jessica Hyde also did some really hosed up poo poo before the show's start, too.
Utopia (not the dreadful US version) is a good show but yeah.... everyone is terrible. Best parts about it are the way it is filmed and shot. Still hate we didn't get more but it wasn't the first or worst case of cancelled too soon.

Slamhound posted:

I’ve been rewatching Dirk Gently and it’s a shame Landis was an rear end in a top hat because its such a great show. I’m on season 2 and I totally forgot about Tina Tevetino. The entire cast is amazing.

Absolutely and I can't think of a one that doesn't just go all out. Fiona Dourif was my favourite as the holistic assassin but really everyone was great. The whole show was really well done and I HATE that it is tied to a truly wretched creator as now all those performances and work by a ton of people will be memory holed. Frustrating as I want more but doubtful unless Max Landis gets a pass which...gently caress that. Plus I doubt they get most of the cast and crew back and then you lose that certain quality that made it so endearing.

Side question: is Crave/HBO being even buggier than normal for any other Canuckleheads out there? Seems worse today than normal.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but drat good. I will not be happy if they cancel it.

Per the adult toon thread it is ok. Final Space has really become a new favourite of mine and this season was amazing. This show goes from funny to action and then melancholy quite well... and it really reminds me if Farscape and Futurama had a child. Hoping for at least a couple more seasons if they can keep up the pace.

Side bar: after a friend got me hooked on Ted Lasso I signed up for Apple TV. Ted Lasso is really wholesomely delightful in a most old school Canadian way despite not actually being Canadian. Thanks again goons. Anyway.... decided to give Mythic Quest a try. Finishing up Season 2 and it's decent with some stellar episodes. Not sure how well it captures the game industry in particular but a season 2 episode 100% captured the way management talks to artists. Seriously giving me a headache. Also liked how the quick response by the one artist obviously recycling bs he knew the boss would like. All they need now is a young artist busting his rear end making 5 pitches with some being beautiful and outstanding only for the execs to choose the one he barely put together in 5 minutes, possibly while really hungover to finish out the 5 pitch count.

Mythic Quest is ok. I enjoy it quite a bit although it hasn't grabbed me as hard as Final Space or Ted Lasso. I need season 2 of Ted Lasso so bad.

Fenris13 posted:

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother, these last two episodes were way over the top insinuating this. Now that Liz is dead, there is no reason to keep the secret, but also no one who would care so it will almost certainly never be confirmed. This is both frustrating and as someone who has watched dozens of NBC mystery shows where the mystery was never actually revealed, not at all surprising.
Yeah I got someone hooked on this show at the beginning of COVID so have watched this last season with them. Your spoiler is right on... which I would almost be more excited about if they just outright stated it, like once and for all... but I don't think they will which annoys me more. I'm guessing partly because if they went blatant with the ID it might turn off older American viewers and it's a mainstream show so they aren't known for being daring and taking chances.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to season 2. It was a ton of fun.

It was far from perfect but I still enjoyed it. Some neat characters and world building but you also have a prophesied "chosen one" and some silly dialogue. I liked where it went with Prince Charming and found myself wanting to know more about the other lands and societies so it beats out the Dark Materials show and that most of the other Netflix fantasy/sci fi shows as of late.

Hoping WoT surprises me as I noped out of those books hard when they had an entire book about braid tugging and skirt smoothing. I still refuse to ever read the rest of the series. I remember wanting to like the world that was a nice mix of Middle Earth and Arrakis and the dangers of actually being the chosen one so hopefully it cuts out the insane amounts of dead space. This LoTR show is cut from parts of the Silmarillion right? Hoping there is no silly rules like they cant mention the rings or Sauron or something like that. GoT? Ugh. Also I remember everything I heard about that show so far sounded like some producers wanted to make a cash grab tv show for something that used to be famous. Only way it could survive is if someone with serious talent tried making a passion project and I don't think that is what is coming. Just embrace the memory holing and move on...

Speaking of old things: watching Weeds. Saw some episodes YEARS ago and remember thinking it was ok. Three episodes in and I enjoy the side characters more than the main cast. It's ok so far but could easily see this show becoming obnoxious. So what is the TVIV consensus?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1420218316694642689
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

gently caress me... I know I don't know the guy in real life but man. Get better Mr Show!

Cojawfee posted:

The situation with Chevy/Pierce is just confusing as hell. People complained that Chevy was lovely to work with and racist, and they also wrote his character to be lovely to work with and racist. What did they expect?

I can't decide if they just decided to write Pierce more that way since he was being racist in real life but still... leads to a toxic place to be. From the backstage gossip they didn't have to keep him there that long so he made everyone uncomfortable for no real reason. Not that anyone should have to put up with it, but being racist and mean to Yvette Nicole Brown just feels like "kicking puppies" extra lovely. She's like that nice mom your friend has that always tries to feed you. Wish they could have booted Chevy right off the bat and did like that one goon suggested: have Starburns or Leonard take his place. Good thing nowadays people shouldn't even slightly feel the need to put up with a douchey racist boomer.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

This must be when she isn't tweeting weird taunts and insults at Briahna Joy Gray.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

yeah YNB is really mean and cruel on twitter.

obviously that does not mean she deserved to be harassed by chevy though he can gently caress right off

Goddamit really? <sigh> Why the gently caress would she pick on Briahna Joy Gray? I hate finding out stuff like this. At least my friends mom is still cool. Also old guys like Anthony Hopkins and Sam Neill.

IRQ posted:

If this happens I'd prefer it just be Troy, Abed, and Annie at this point.

Troy, Abed and Annie were always the heart of the show to me anyway. I enjoyed later seasons but it was never quite the same.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I was watching the Jurassic Park Movies That Made Us episode and was surprised Sam Neill was so cool. I would have assumed he was just some guy who agreed to do a role, but he was really into it.

I hate to almost double post but go watch their social media. By them I mean Anthony Hopkins painting like Bob Ross when he isn't listening to metal or Sam Neill being a super Kiwi farmer dad. Seriously his clips of talking and being chill to pigs, dogs and other various farm animals was my quarantine jam. Ted Lasso levels of feel good.
https://twitter.com/twopaddocks/status/1088972409229664256?lang=en

edit:

Chairman Capone posted:

She's one of the people who think Bernie Bros personally got Trump elected because they hate women so much, and therefore a woman of color supporting Bernie melts her brain.
<sigh> Goddamit 2016 and beyond broke so many brains its sad.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 28, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I suggest you let that marinate. :v:

That’s a Texas size 10-4!
Reserve Dogs first ep was just ok but every one since has me loving it. Last weeks made me die laughing so hard as well as slightly paranoid they were following some of my family. Also didn’t even think Oklahoma would have legal weed. Loved the soundtrack with Sleep and Om. This weeks was just kinda surreal in a Good Fargo season way. Hoping this show stays this strong and keeps on with the great soundtrack.

To the goon asking about Motherland: Fort Salem - first season intrigued me and ended decently (nothing mind blowing) but the second season I really enjoyed. Interesting world and I like the setup for the big conflict coming. I’d put the second season above CW fare but the first season is still good and provides the setup. Hoping it gets a third.

Debris chat: just don’t. Good atmosphere but it plods along till right at the loving end when you get a really good hook for a second season that will never be. Really liked the synth score with its almost retro futuristic quality. Felt different than most of what I heard on US tv lately and gave the bleak scenery some more weight. If you have to start watching try and make it to the time travel episodes as those were actually fun and decently done. Felt like they wanted a slow burn show and bet too hard on that second season. It might have gotten good but… that cameo in the end was such a cruel tease.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

because what the world needs now are witches. fascist witches

That's actually brought up some in late season 1 and season 2 as well as probably a focus of season 3

To try and make a super vague non spoilery summary (nothing you won't find out in the first episode): When America decided to revolt against the big mean and superior Brits they needed a big gun. In this world that was the formerly hated Witches. Due to their service in the American rebellion as well as throughout the history of America they are the big gun branch of the military. Headed by the literal (possibly immortal?) Witch that offered the founding fathers of America her kind's magic the Witches at Fort Salem protect American from enemies foreign and domestic. Any girl (and rarely boy) with magical potential is recruited at an early age and offered the chance to serve. Our three protagonists are a trio of young everyday American women finding themselves recruited and learning about the joys and burdens of a life of service. One big happy family. SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP!

more spoilery
They don't parody it quite as deeply as that line stolen from Starship Troopers implies but they do address those concerns; especially in season 2. I wish they'd go more into the history of what actually happened but they do address that things weren't quite as cut and dry as the official propaganda makes it. You've got the official Branch of the Witches whose founder did some hosed up things, witches who hide out to not get recruited, a terrorist organization that comes about due to both the Military and the civilian Governments want to toss them in the grinder as well as the men who kinda wish that witches would just go back to the kitchen. That last group uses "family values" and "not my daughter" sentiments to try and sway the populace so they can go back to holding power. It really has some good themes to it, even if I wish it went a bit further at times.

There has been an overall mantra of "all the ways of the previous generation suck so maybe we should learn from their mistakes and create something new and hopefully better" which I appreciate. Not a perfect show but more engaging that I figured it would be when I decided to check it out. First half of season 1 does feel very CW though... but more like early the 100 and not Riverdale post season 2.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the synth work on Debris really reminded me of Mark Snow's incidental score for The X-Files, in a good way. It didn't have the sad plinky plinky piano refrains though, sadface.

Agreed. I felt like the lovechild of X-Files and Fringe but still retained its own bleak signature. Hope it shows up in another show.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 1, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Final Space was cancelled and I'm gutted.

Apparently it was the Discovery+
merger that killed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFg3ljZF2kA

Oh man....I really liked that show. Super bummed as well.

X-O posted:

Hey now, being vaccinated is giving me more and more advantages over the unvaccinated all the time.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1437530546893119489

It's cute that some intern thought Jim Breuer was relevant enough in 2021 to throw this tweet up though.

Wasn't his thing that he just looked perma stoned so he always got typecast but inside he was secretly just a bro? Either way the typical Gen X narrative of being sorta cool in the 90s then going full boomer once they hit 40+. Maybe he can make movies with Kevin Sorbo for Gods Not Dead 20: Brimstone Boogaloo.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

But if you are a creative and this is your baby you have to weigh that choice of shutting the door forever or not.

I will say that Final Space's season 3 finale ranks up there with the Farscape cliffhanger.

"Our heroes lost, goodbye everyone!"

Arg - I know. I said it before but the whole show was a "what if Farscape and Futurama had a baby?" I enjoyed Season 1 but it was a bit just ok. Enjoyable with lots of interesting tidbits but just ok. Season 2 hooked me fairly quick and season 3 was amazing. Wish it had a couple of more seasons as that a hell of a cliff hanger. Maybe in a year or two. The creator loves this show and it's his baby so I doubt it's going away forever in the same universe where Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers get a chance to wrap up. Hopefully it gets a full 1-2 seasons as opposed to a movie. Isn't animation still among the easiest shows to make in these plague times?

bull3964 posted:

Recipes are the worst about it. No, I don't want to read your essay on how this breaded chicken recipe got you through the tough times and reminds you of your childhood and how it's always a crowd pleaser when you make it for your 5th cousin twice removed so you can reminisce about the summers you spent with your aunt on a farm in the 1960s where you got up at 5am to collect the farm fresh eggs that you would use later that evening to make the breading stick.

This cannot be stated enough. I'm going to sound like an old here but I miss the good old days where the preferred method for sharing recipes, gametips or whatever was a static image and words on a webpage. Every fuckko that posts a video has to have an annoying voice and natter on for a decade about rubbish before finally getting to the bloody point. I have accepted that 99% of the times I want to see a gametip I'm going to have to suffer for it but recipes and cooking? Your example is spot on. I'd suffer a million more Buffy and Angel Fan compilations to that loving Evanescence song if I could just go back in time to when Youtube "cooks" uploaded vids that got to the point.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vincent posted:

Longmire is like, primo boomer TV.

It really is. Having been forced to watch it with relatives I can say it’s decent. Use of Native casting is cool too. Some beautiful scenery to boot but fairly tame with sex. Same relatives really like Justified too. Fargo season 1 and 2 they mixed well with but they did not like season 3. Both are far better than the Rookie or Magnum PI boomer fodder.

As far as branching out goes: Expanse I love but it had mixed results with them. If you have any Native family or just really familiar with them and Reserve culture I’d say try Reservation Dogs. Comedy and no giant mystery but really good and a bit poignant. Other outside choice is Wayne. Patriot is good but I had two who LOVED it and more that hated it. For All Mankind is a safe bet as is Ted Lasso. The Americans can hook boomers like crack but more conservative ones might think a little racy. Only Murders in the Building is cute but seems if your relatives are more country like mine they might feel it’s a bit cityfied. I’ve got some freakin hicks in my family.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

A little racy? They stuff a corpse into a suitcase!

I’d forgotten about that. Didn’t that have like brutal crunchy/ breaking sounds? I need to watch that again. Most boomers I’ve met, especially Americans, don’t really freak out with violence. Show em some boobs tho and they start frothing at the mouth. Never understood that.

It’s old but if your mom likes Sci Fi have you tried Babylon 5 from the 90s? Graphics are dated but plot and characters are so drat good. In America it’s on HBO Max. I got one awesome grandma who loves the Orville though I’m not 100% she really gets Bortus and Klyden. She thinks they are a cute alien couple and it’s funny to see her laugh along with it. She also likes AEW wrestling and she thinks Arn Anderson is a young hottie. I hope I’m that cool at 80. Probably not.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brock Samson posted:

I'm not stepping foot in the Succession thread but holy poo poo what a season.

I’m just now starting it and JUST finished episode one. Kinda funny a goon said if you feel any kindred spirit with any of the characters that it’s a tell. The only guy I feel any link towards is that poor kid they offered a mill for a home run and then laughed as he got tagged at home plate. When they pushed the NDA on his parents after it made me so mad. Well done show but please tell me they die horribly. I might have to spread this show out or I’m going to start Bolshevik meetings at the local Tim Hortons.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

That kid was exactly who I thought about as an exception. They're all giant monsters and the fun of the show is watching them fail and slit each other's necks.

They deserve nothing but pain and suffering.

Just started episode 4 and I’m fairly sure the Tom character might be an actual serial killer. Well done show overall but the icing on the cake is how the Kendall actor has no idea his character is NOT awesome. It’s like they found the perfect actor for the character. I liked Kieran Culkin before but Jesus I hate him here. Just everyone is awful and awaiting their doom eagerly. Please let them suffer.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

how high was this first year college student

What if the TV is watching us man? Like some AI tv making algorithm seeing if we are ready for the robot takeover? <takes a huuuuge rip from Mr Bong, James Bong> Yeah…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Looten Plunder posted:

Loved the Succession finale. This show is so much fun.

Super impressed by some of the facial work lately, especially from Culkin. Things like him dying in his chair post dick-pic or wrestling with his internal anguish during the final conflict this week is brilliant.

Keep us posted as you go, I'd say take to to the Succession thread, but gently caress reading that. If I can sit through people's Friends, Person of Interest, Good Wife, Taskmaster etc. marathons then I'm sure it's fine.

Does he though? I've watched multiple clips/interviews lately with his fellow cast giving anecdotes around him not being aware that this show is funny. Watching Brian Cox on Seth Meyer's show basically saying in the most polite way possible "method actors are loving weird and I'm genuinely concerned about Jeremy Strongs well-being" was hilarious.

That last bit is what I read before starting the show and it makes his scenes even more funny and tragic. I mean, I still hate the Roys but sometimes I just feel like “Jesus stop torturing the guy and just shoot him in the head.” He’s a perfect fit for Kendall Roy.

Season 1 was great and loved the “twist” as I was about to bitch about Ken getting away with it all. Up to season 2 episode 8 now. Show got me that hard. To any curious like I was: show is really good. Acting is top notch and a treat to watch, the dialogue is strong and the plot has been engaging. I’m nothing like these guys but I can’t stop watching and every time I hear that theme I’m like “sweet.” They ARE awful people. Truly horrible people but I’m still sucked in. Weirdly this show hasn’t triggered me like White Lotus did. Can’t even really think of a reason why. Good recommendation TVIV and Creamerie is next. You saying about Mad Men made me think there is a similar “something” they have common. Can’t place what exactly but something. Highly recommend and can’t wait till Season 3. Thanks Goons

Edit: JUST finished season 2. All I can say is fffffuuuuuuccccckkkkk!

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 15, 2021