Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'll say that I'm going to watch something that I know is good and that I've never seen before, then still not watch it. Like Spartacus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So the first episode of anything I've watched in 2021 was The Expanse S5E4 and uh, that was good.

And the first new thing of 2021 I'm gonna watch will be Cobra loving Kai S3

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

gently caress yes I love Moon Knight

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mu Zeta posted:

Queen Latifah has a particular set of skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqySpdSdlbw

Sure, why not. I like the Equalizer stuff. Denzel's movies were fun.

Although I like the Queen, I'd rather it be the (Regina) King.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So how do y'all feel about the new The Stand series on CBS? I've never read the book and I only recently tried to watch the 1994 tv miniseries and holy gently caress it was bad, but I like this new thing.

James Marsden is cool and I look forward to Alexander Skaarsgard chewing some scenery. I haven't seen Greg Kinnear in forever but he's cool too.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For the 1986 Challenger disaster I was at home watching the launch because my parents let me skip school to watch because I was a space nerd.

For 9/11 I was asleep and my girlfriend called to tell me and I thought she said "We're being attacked by Paris" instead of "by terrorists" and I was really confused.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
halfway through S1 of Search Party and yes this is good stuff thanks thread

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
aw that sucks.

The Saved By the Bell reboot that was recently released isn't terrible once it finds its groove. it is really weird though. A.C. Slater as a loser owns.

the main actress is bad though and her use of the Zach time stop maneuver was horrible

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
just finished Search Party S2 and while I love it, I have to wonder if there is an end game in mind or if they're just making it up along the way

Alia Shawkat is a real talent

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So I just finished Search Party S3 and uh :stonk: :tviv:

This show is amazing

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dear Search Party S4 E4-6,

what

Sincerely,

Isaboo

(ya'll need to watch this show if you're not already)

isaboo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 23, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
saw some chatter about Servant so I gave the first episode a shot and welp that was not what I was expecting

I shall continue

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Annabel Pee posted:

We've been binging Search Party and Drew looks identical to someone and its driving us crazy that we can't place it. At first I thought it was either Darren Criss as Andrew Cunannon, or milo yiannopoulos but I don't think its either. Help me out face blind goons.

How about Waldo?

In one S4 episode he's even wearing a red and white striped sweater. That's who he reminds me of anyway

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

MiddleOne posted:

Started watching Search Party since it's all anyone is posting about anymore. By episode 3 I was all 'how does this show have multiple seasons' but by the season finale it was more :magical:.

Yeah. How it all unfolds is bonkers.

Between that and Servant I've been doing a lot of :stonk: myself

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I guess this would be a good time to finally watch B5

I've seen up to maybe half of S2

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just discovered Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. Good stuff, Phil is great, but it makes me miss Bourdain

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
LOL I'm only up to S1E7 but Servant is some wildly good and cool and fun stuff :stonk:

Lauren Ambrose HELLO. I really need to watch Six Feet Under

Rumpy Grits or whatever his name is, is cool too

The presentation of food is not quite Hannibal level but it is still scrumptious looking

It is A Good Show

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Rectify S1 is a perfect season of TV imo.

There's drama, but not much intrigue. It definitely gets better after the first episode.
Every member of the cast knocks it out of the park.

Daniel loosens up with the help of some great characters so you might like him more as it goes along.

Clayne Crawford does some great work as Teddy and Abigail Spencer as Daniel's sister is wonderful.

I was a little disappointed by how it all ended in S4 but yeah, the first couple of seasons are fantastic.

"Because I know you, because I know you, because I know you" gets me every time.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 4, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Will new Walker give us classics like this?

https://youtu.be/K2_SvX4PEbU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finished Servant S1 and while I liked it I really shouldn't have watched it while in an altered state because I don't know what the gently caress.

Someone summarize the baby/ doll thing for me please!

I do vividly remember unhinged Rupert Grint screaming for the baby while banging on a pot. That was great.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I finally finished Raised By Wolves and hated the finale. Overall I enjoyed the season mostly because of the world building and Mother and Father, but that loving goddamn baby space snake was the dumbest poo poo. That and the super contrived death of the rapist dude pissed me off.

I hope the writers do something good with it next season but I'm not sure they know what they want the show to be at this point.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mrenda posted:

I'm watching Raising Hope for the first time, and there's a scene where Dillahunt wakes from an anaesthetic and does the one eye half closed thing of Jack from Deadwood and fires off a line about Wild Bill from a poker game. It was brilliant, Dillahunt is brilliant, and Raising Hope is brilliant.

Yessssss Raising Hope is fantastic.

Burt and Virginia are the best couple and Maw-Maw is fuckin wild.

Has Burt wore his "I'd rather be in Virginia" t-shirt yet?

Both Martha Plimpton and Dillahunt look like they're having a blast in their roles.

I really need to watch Deadwood

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 11, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Reminder that S2 of For All Mankind started today!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Does the only season of John From Cincinnati end good enough or will I be angry?

I noticed it's on HBOMax and I think I only ever saw the pilot.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 13, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Season 2 of Solar Opposites drops today on Hulu

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Solar Opposites S2 is good. I really appreciated the shout out to Terriers being cancelled.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on Arrow.

One more Friday night question: I just saw ABC's Revenge is on Hulu. I remember watching that first season when it premiered but I never stuck with it.

Without spoilers, did that show keep its steam or did it fizzle?

I freaking loved Revenge for the first couple of seasons- it was a lot of fun for a while. I don't think I ever watched the ending (which I spoiled for myself and it didn't sound great) because by that point I had all but checked out. I can't remember when it started getting too silly even for me, but I'd say the first 2 seasons are about the same as the first couple seasons of Prison Break and Scandal. All very fun shows when firing on all cylinders.

Madeline Stowe is fun to watch, regardless.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been watching the John Wayne Gacy doc on Peacock and :stonk:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I don't know why I waited so long to start Brockmire but I'm halfway through S1 and I love it. Azaria is really good and I always like seeing Amanda Peet.

I think maybe I thought it was something other than what it is

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Are any of the best picture nominees worthy of a watch? Or any must-see performances? I don't even know who or what was nominated for anything or even who the host was.

For many years Mrs Isaboo and I either hosted or attended an Oscar party - complete with dressy-up and drunken shenanigans - but haven't in a long time. We wouldn't in the Covid era anyway, but I just haven't been excited by The Oscars for a while.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My wife has never seen The Shield so we're watching that - it's my 2nd time. The things that stick out immediately are

Holy poo poo I forgot Ronnie existed
Dutch is the best
Claudette is also the best
Michael Chiklis was born for the role of Vic and is just outstanding
The big moments are really great, but some of the dialogue and editing are really bad
The theme is very jarring I hate it

I've forgotten a lot but I'm looking forward to seeing my wife's reaction to stuff I remember vividly like Lem and the grenade, Aceveda's rape scene, and of course the ending

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Escobarbarian posted:

The second episode of Mare of Easttown was excellent. This is a really good show, and it isn’t even based on a book or anything

I just watched this and yes it is pretty dang good

e: I hadn't heard of the show before your post so thanks :v:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 29, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Looks like the first 2 episodes of Apple TV's The Mosquito Coast with Justin Theroux are available. Anyone check it out yet?

I quite liked both the film and book and I just learned that Justin is the nephew of the author Paul Theroux.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I thought the first 2 episodes of The Mosquito Coast were pretty good.

So far it's like The Fugitive + MacGyver and the cast is great

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've seen every episode of The Curse Of Oak Island and I love it. I don't like any of the other History Channel shows such as Ancient Aliens, Nazi Gold, etc. Skinwalker Ranch was okay but dumb.

I like Oak Island because they lean heavily on actual science- carbon dating, seismic surveys, ground penetrating radar, etc. Every once in a while they'll have some rando theorist on who claims to have found the secret to finding the treasure using wacky poo poo like astronomical alignments, ley lines, Knights Templar/ Freemason "secrets" and so on. Sometimes they do provide useful info for the team but most of the time it's just filler.

I don't know if I'd recommend watching it from the beginning though. Anyone interested could probably just read the Oak Island wikipedia page to get the basics, then jump into the last couple of seasons of the show.

While they haven't found any real treasure, they have dug up some interesting artifacts and have raised a lot of questions about the history of the area. I think they'll find something, but I don't think it will be a huge treasure cache or the Ark of the Covenant or whatever else is rumored to be there. It's pretty amazing though, that a group of people did so much elaborate work on the island in the 1600s. Something interesting happened there, for sure. This season has been really good, and the preview for this week's finale teases a very important find.

As far as people on the show go, my favorites are Gary the metal detection guy, and Billy Gerhardt the heavy equipment operator. Rick Lagina is pretty cool too.

As long as the Lagina bros keep dumping millions into their effort, I'll keep watching.

e: several months ago there were a few episodes of a spinoff called "Beyond Oak Island", featuring the Laginas bankrolling and assisting other treasure hunters. One was a pretty cool story about a team that found a shitload - and I mean a lot - of treasure on some sunken French (?) vessels, but the French gov't won't allow them to make a salvage claim. It was cool show and I hope they do a few more.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 3, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah first season of Mr Mecedes is fantastic. The entire cast is great but to me the standouts were Breeda Wool as Lou and Justine Lupe as Holly Gibney. The 2nd season takes a wild turn and I'm still not sure I liked it all that much. I never finished the 3rd season.

I dropped out of The Outsider before the finale. That version of Holly Gibney was great, but played very differently from the Mr Mercedes Holly.

Also, I'm really enjoying Mare of Easttown. Broken people wrapped up in a murder mystery, with Kate Winslet and Jean Smart playing off of each other? gently caress yes.

e: oh yeah Guy Pearce is in it too. Haven't seen him in a while

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Was disgusted to see Night Court so low, but elated to see Cheers at #2

Also, holy moly I loved that Frank's Place show at 99. Haven't thought about it years

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Rhyno gonna back me up on this I think but

12 Monkeys >>>>>>> Continuum > Travellers

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love ATHF so much. I've seen them all a million times but every time I notice something new. Can probably blame that on various stages of :2bong: but what other way is there to watch ATHF

Agreeing that Squidbillies is true to rural southern life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My wife and twin girls started watching Dawson's Creek so I joined in. I've never seen it but I'm hooked after a few episodes. It's better than I assumed it would be.