Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

From a tone/sense of humor perspective: if you like ____________, you might like Resident Alien?

I love me some Resident Alien and the only show I can think to compare it too is Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23. It is missing the over the top real life celebrity side kick, but both shows revolve around the main characters complete lack of awareness and inability to properly interact with society but still manage to be engaging thanks to the supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

IRQ posted:

I watched a bunch of seasons of it on Netflix like 2 years ago and thought it was already done. How are they still dragging out that he's her dad or whatever. It's either that or a Final Space Avocado situation.

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother, these last two episodes were way over the top insinuating this. Now that Liz is dead, there is no reason to keep the secret, but also no one who would care so it will almost certainly never be confirmed. This is both frustrating and as someone who has watched dozens of NBC mystery shows where the mystery was never actually revealed, not at all surprising.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

IRQ posted:

Ok now I have to know how on earth that's meant to make any sense whatsoever. Even in that show's context - it always reminded me a bit of Alias, but even Alias didn't do that.

Well ok, there are a couple of concepts from the show we have to accept as fact first, and remember, you asked for this!

First, we have to agree that "Red" was stuck to his "I will never lie to you" promise to Liz, and second that his primary motivation for almost everything he did was to protect Liz. These are brought up a couple of times through out the show, and go along way to explaining a few of the choices from the last couple of seasons.

Now, make sure your tinfoil hats are snugly secured.

What we know to be true for sure,

The original Raymond Reddington is Liz's biological father, died when she was very young, and was basically nothing but a patsy. No real criminal background at all.
Katerina Restova is Liz's mother, she is alive at the current point in the show. She is an accomplished Russian spy who also knows about the shadowy multi-national "power" group called the Cabal. It is widely believed that Restova stole the bundle of Intelligence related to the Cabal that earned her the moniker N13.
Dominick is Katerina's father, thus Liz's Grandfather. Dominick blames "Red" for loosing Katerina, but we know Katerina is not dead, so to him she is lost in some other way. Dominick has no problem lying, even to Liz.
"Red" is someone close to the family who has undergone extensive plastic surgery to look like Raymond Reddington, this is discussed a few times and confirmed in the episode from last week, when "Red" mentioned that anyone believing Raymond was still alive would know he had survived a vicious fire and undergone extensive plastic surgery anyways, so they did not need a perfect match to create "Red, just one that was close enough. "Red" also confirmed they are N13 without ever denying that Katerina is N13.
Katerina "Fauxstova" is a Russian agent who worked with Dominick and his circle before the creation of "Red" and then afterwords, Dominick leaked to the Cabal that he was meeting with his daughter, but met her instead and tried to assassinate her to prevent anyone from looking for traces of his real daughter. "Fauxstova" looses her family in this assassination attempt and when she resurfaces she plays up her role as Katerina to Liz, convincing her she is her mother and using her to try to take down "Red".
Finally we have Townsend, the villain of this last season, who "Red" considers the biggest threat to Liz's safety. He hates Katerina Restova because N13 was directly responsible for the death of his child. Liz, upset with "Red" for killing "Fauxstova" right in front of her, convinces Townsend that "Red" is N13 and the team up to go after him, but Townsend learns "Red's" big secret, and becomes hellbent on killing Liz instead, to the point where he walks away from killing "Red" because he wants "Red" to suffer the same pain he has suffered.

None of the above provides a direct link to the twist, but when you combine it with even just a few pieces of the circumstantial evidence dropped over the past few seasons, it almost becomes to big of a red hearing.
When Dominick lies to Liz about who assumed "Red's" identity, "Red" is upset, but understands that if Liz believes the lie, she wont keep digging into the truth. This is concept is repeated with "Fauxstova", for as long as Liz's believes she is really her mother, she would never look for the truth about her mother. Both of these play into "Red's" core motivation of protecting Liz, and that the more people that know his secret, including her, the more danger she is in. This proves true as soon as Townsend learns his secret.
The words "Red" chooses are also really important, "Red" insists that he is not Liz's father, but he has never once said that Liz is not his daughter, or that they are not related. There is scene in this last episode where Liz shows "Red" a picture of baby Liz on the swing with her mother and asks red if he took the picture. "Red" looks at the picture longingly, but says nothing until Liz asks if he had been there that day, "Red" says "I Was there that day. No one knew your mother better than I did" Circumstantial for sure, but when you consider there have been many more scenes like this, where "Red" very carefully so as not to lie, but also to in someway reflect upon the connection he has with Liz.

I feel so dirty for writing all of that about a silly TV show, but Spader really does some amazing work. I though he hit his peak sitting on a high-rise balcony unwinding with Shattner, but his connection with several of the characters on this show at least rival that.

ShakeZula posted:

Finally getting to the final season of Lucifer on Netflix and yikes, this musical episode is exactly as bad as I'd feared when I heard about it.
Just a correction, but most recent season, not final.

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, the CW couldn't even go a year. Supernatural prequel series in the works with Jensen Ackles set to produce and provide narration.
This might have been my monkey's paw. I really liked the premise of Wayward Sisters, the idea of a couple of Mentor figures and a new batch of slayers all saved by the Winchesters seemed like something that could be good, but the pilot was a real turd. I am not excited by young John and Mary, especially since it wont be their adult actors. Mary's father on the other hand, if we could get more of him depending on where in the timeline this lines up, could be worth watching.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Reservation Dogs is loving incredible

Such a loveable cast

Doubling up on this.

"Greasy frybread! Greasy greasy frybread!"

They should have figured out a way to make episode 4 into episode 1 though, that was a great open.