Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

swickles posted:

Anyone else watching Resident Alien on SyFy? Its just the pilot, and a lot darker than I thought it would be, but in a good way!

Only one person knows who I am. Its dark outside so I can just break in and kill it [a child]. Man, whiskey is great for helping me make rational and well thought out decisions!

I watched it, and while Tudyk is doing a good job (and I do like the darker element to it), every other character around him is basically Supporting Genre Show Cast 101. I might pick it back up later if I hear good things, but I think I'm out for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

DarklyDreaming posted:

-This is the part where you ask about my childhood
-Well I really don't care :shrug:

I mean I'll keep watching if there are more scenes like that. The more they lean into generic "This small town has a BIG SECRET" murder mystery plot the better the alien character shines through

I think I would've liked that stuff more if every character he interacted with hadn't just brushed it off and proceeded to interact with him as if he wasn't being a massive rear end in a top hat. Like, immediately after that exchange, she just laughs it off and then tells him her whole backstory anyway.

I am kind of curious how they'll proceed with some of the darker character bits. Obviously he's going to have a change of heart at some point and decide not to end all life on Earth, but there really isn't any way around the fact that he straight-up murdered the real doctor and doesn't really seem to give a poo poo, and has real designs on killing that kid. I do feel pretty confident that the teen girl who helps out at the doctor's office is going to turn out to be the nurse's daughter though.

I don't know, maybe I'll give it another ep or two. Pilots are tough.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

Anybody remember the procedural show Perception? Needed to fill my procedural show void before I start another inevitable Psych rewatch.

It's pretty good! I have a mega crush on Rachael Leigh Cook though :3:

Ooh, I watched this! It was perfectly enjoyable, and yes Rachael Leigh Cook is next-level adorable in it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nundizo posted:

is Netflix's 'The Crown' worth watching?

Absolutely

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Knick is extremely good, but the S2 plotline about Gallinger's baby/wife still haunts me more than just about any other TV storyline I've ever seen. I don't know why it's stuck with me the way it has, but yeah, even years later I still think about it from time to time and get super bummed-out.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Netflix is pushing The Witcher on my homepage. I remember watching it, and remember it being high in production value but I don't think I can tell you a single plot from the series. I know the Witcher, a witch, and a child. Can't remember how they all fit together.

Hopefully season 2 has a good intro for "Previously, on The Witcher..."

If the Previously On isn't done as a Dandelion/Jaskier ballad, the show will have already lost its way

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'd also disagree with it being "canceled-too-soon"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Is it still like $30 extra to watch them, like with the Mulan thing?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I still need to go back and finish Homeland one day. I watched the first episode of the second-to-last season then fell behind and never forced myself to catch up.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

This feels like a surprise. Guess I'll have to finally watch S2

https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/status/1382393339660677120

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Timby posted:

I don't think it will be Jennings, but it won't be Burton and Jennings is more likely than him. Sony / CBS wants someone who can be the show's anchor for another few decades, and Burton is 64. Beyond that, they aren't going to pick someone whose name overshadows the show. The permanent host will be someone that people kind of recognize in an "Oh, that person" kind of way, but not a household name.

I haven't been keeping a close track of the guest hosts, but who among them is in the realistic "multiple decades as host" kind of age range?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It was also pretty cool how Sonya gained the mark, then seemingly discovered and mastered her special power in about 5 minutes offscreen

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I've watched the first 4 episodes of Rutherford Falls, and it feels like two different shows smashed together. The Ed Helms half is a show that I would probably already have dropped, but the other half is actually pretty good. I guess I'm wondering, for those who've seen more of it, does it ever figure itself out and get more cohesive/better?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hmm, on the one hand I liked Evil and would be interested in watching a second season. On the other hand, it feels like it's been off the air forever now and I'm absolutely not going to sign up for another streaming service. I guess that's probably it for me then.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

There are other screencapped pages floating around, and they are awful

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I hope they do a better job of telling a more coherent story because Season 1 felt like a mess. A gorgeous, high production value mess.

They should have an easier time now that they're into adapting the novels instead of the short story collection. Also now that all the characters are together so they don't have to shuffle things around to avoid having an actor disappear for half the season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Surely moral action defines a hero more than a protagonist?

Not that I have a horse in this race -- I find the whole "the real protagonist is X" discourse to be often be very reaching. Definitionally, the protagonist is the leading character, and the lead in Legion is David. QED.

Yeah people can have their debates about who is or is not the "hero" of Legion, but David is pretty clearly the protagonist. He's our POV character, the journey being charted is predominantly his, and his backstory is the one being explored in the greatest depth. You could maybe make an argument for Syd as the "true protagonist," but Farouk (amazing as he is) makes very little sense in that role.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

isaboo posted:

How has Superman and Lois been so far? I checked out the first couple of episodes but never returned to it. Are the kids typical annoying TV kids or are they decent characters?

It's genuinely one of the best depictions of teenagers I've seen in quite some time, and they really nail the family dynamic

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Finally getting to the final season of Lucifer on Netflix and yikes, this musical episode is exactly as bad as I'd feared when I heard about it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Fenris13 posted:

Just a correction, but most recent season, not final.

Wait really? I thought this most recent batch was it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

When they originally announced the season 5 pickup it was supposed to be a final season but then they extended the episode count and negotiated a new contract with Tom Ellis which gave them one more.

Huh, yeah now that you mention it I do remember reading that. Well I suppose that's good news, though I had kind of mentally prepared myself for it to end here.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Everybody just memory-holed Helix...

Helix wasn't good, but it was completely bonkers and fun as hell.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Alright, you bastards convinced me to sign up for Apple TV and now I just watched all of Ted Lasso in one sitting and it was exactly as good as you all said it was and I loved it. I hope you're happy because I am.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Not much of a horror guy, but Mythic Quest and For All Mankind are definitely on the list.

As far as FAM is concerned, I've heard the second season is great, but is it one of those shows where you have to kind of suffer through a bad first season to get there, or will I know pretty early on whether the show is for me?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

As someone who really only ever associated his name with Superman (and the controversy therein), I was surprised to learn about his extensive and varied TV directing career

https://twitter.com/TheFienPrint/status/1412145048628580362

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Patti Harrison is excellent yeah. She was maybe the best part of Shrill and was great in Made For Love too. I love her other sketch this season about the Charlie Brown float

She was great this season, which I was glad to see because I thought her "Christmas came early" sketch was easily the low point of S1

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

There were certainly some issues with Wandavision's ending, but it's worth noting that the character saying that line is freshly dealing with traumatic grief of her own (and is thus especially sympathetic to Wanda's motivations), the context of the scene is Wanda doing a walk of shame through town as her victims stare daggers at her, and that Wanda's immediate response is "It wouldn't change how they see me." It's far from the show endorsing Wanda's actions or presenting her as a hero.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

In my exploration of Apple TV I have moved on to Mythic Quest, and it is SO GOOD

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Finished Season 1 of Mythic Quest, and then when I start Season 2 the first thing they show is a "Coming up this season" preview. Why would any show do that, and especially why would they put it before the premiere instead of after? I thought it was a Previously On at first and that I'd missed some very important stuff.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Under the Dome was OK for one season. Then it went bad fast.

The first season still suffered from the insane time compression on that show. Like I think over the course of two in-show weeks a woman's husband was murdered, she started a new relationship, learned that her new boyfriend was the one who murdered her husband, and forgave him so they could continue their relationship. And somewhere in there she also took a piece of rebar through the leg and then healed fully.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not really clear why there's a "Lead Actor in A Movie" category. Like the Oscars was a ton of streaming films, right? We're not pretending a movie released to Amazon or Netflix or Disney+ is "tv", right? So why is Hamilton?

Don't the Oscars still have the "must have played at least x number of times in a theater" requirement? I remember that being a thing with The Irishman. Presumably the movies that don't meet that standard would be the ones going for Emmys instead.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

IMO it's a fake out -- considering the show's class themes, it's got to be a staff member right? I'm guessing that it's probably Armond.

When the show got an extended first season contract they chose to cut her character (and a few others IIRC).

Cutting her character was a good and necessary decision considering it was part of switching out "terrible drama-bomb fiancee Barbara" for "psycho crime boss Barbara"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Elizabeth Tulloch is killing it on Superman & Lois.

She really is. That rant this week to Clark about having to stay mad was awesome.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I think I stopped two seasons short of the end of The 100. I vaguely intend to go back and finish it one day, but it's always been one of those shows that I'm just never really in the right mood to watch.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I haven't been watching White Lotus, but from what I've heard about I'm surprised that there is apparently some kind of cliffhanger suspense element.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Legit one of the best things about Lucifer is that he just refuses to shut up about being the actual devil.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So I read the Rolling Stone review of Midnight Mass and they made it sound pretty interesting. Is it actually good, and would I be able to enjoy it if I'm generally a big chicken when it comes to horror fare?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hmm ok I don't really have a problem with gore. Maybe I'll check it out.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Well I just finished the live-action Cowboy Bebop and liked it quite a bit. I am a fan of the anime but haven't actually seen it for many years, so I think I'm kind of in the sweet spot for the show where the things they were faithful to were evocative and the things they weren't didn't register for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

mistermojo posted:

The Great season 2 is very good. well nothings really happened except a whole lot of pussy eating and sex and violence but thats what makes it good (and historically accurate)

I just finished the season myself, and while it was very good I don't love that aside from the baby being born the story is basically right back where it was at the end of the premiere, with very little progression on any level.