Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

After sitting on it for years and years for no real reason, I finally watched the Veronica Mars movie and drat do I need somewhere to just complain. It was fun enough in parts, but it was deeply upsetting seeing her just trash her entire life for her EPIC LOVE STORY PAIRING that she hasn't seen in literally 8 years. I could excuse that (namely because you know . . . Piz sucks), but she torpedos her entire loving career. You're about to be a lawyer, you do know that there's discovery and a trial and these things take months and you don't need to solve this over the weekend right? Even then, whatever to all of that. But gently caress spending the entire movie setting up the constant comparison of being a PI essentially being her version of alcoholism which she has personal experience seeing its impact, and then ending the movie with her leaning back in a chair with a smile saying "I'm an addict . . . but that's OK because I'm high functioning!" and then roll credits.

I hears the Hulu season is better than this, but geez this just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

As someone who hasn’t watched any Babylon 5, is there a certain amount of episodes I should give it before deciding it’s not for me? Obviously the BEST parts are going to be a ways into the show, but just wondering if it’s like a “get through the first 4 eps of Expanse before quitting” situation.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Love it (I do) or hate it, IM3 is absolutely the most polarizing of the three. Pretty much everyone can agree 1 is solid, 2 has good concepts but wastes its potential, and then 3 just has diametrically opposed opinions from everyone. I do appreciate that when people say they dislike it, a lot of them do give good critiques (like some of the ones above) as opposed to just an outright dismissal of the film as a whole.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I was so depressed with Flashforward because I love the book and everything else that author writes.

Also, the way Debris has the a much larger team / logistics organization to handle everything makes this seems much more like the comic Federal Bureau of Physics. Which was supposedly getting an adaptation but that might be dead by now, and especially after this.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of amazing how quickly the Hot Dog Suit sketch became a meme.

That and the "he admit it" guy are everywhere. We'd probably already have the second season if it wasn't for Covid, just hoping it still comes out eventually.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

isaboo posted:

Season 2 of Solar Opposites drops today on Hulu

So happy we get more of The Wall.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The fourth one has Stanley Tucci and he is clearly having the time of his life. And Titus Welliver!

I have said it before, but I will pay someone cold hard cash to recut the movie to JUST be the Stanley Tucci scenes only. It's so goddamn stupid, but him screaming "ALGORITHMS! MATH!" as he slaps a whiteboard is one of my favorite movie moments ever.

You're also right and AoE is the best one by a mile and is the one that's actually out and out fun. One is too goofy/fish out of water, two is weirdly racist, three I remember very little about besides the action stuff at the end was cool in Imax 3d, and five is just baaaaaaaaad.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Never gonna watch it!
:stat: :wal:

To anyone who is interested (I'm honestly not, but I think my wife would like the show): they broke the season up into two 6 episode blocks. In this first one Whedon directed three episodes before they eventually ditched him as showrunner. So maybe the second part will be more free of his influence.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

lmfao

this poo poo is gonna be a turbo black hole of funny

Gonna choose to believe that puppet Biden was just snorting a giant rail and never watch the show to contradict that

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

So I love Sepinwall and own two of his books, but the fact that Simpsons is number 1 (as it should be) is all but admitting that 90% of this is just him repackaging his previous stuff from "TV: The Book" and that calling it "a project the
@RollingStone TV team's been working on for a while now" is bs.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Speaking of procedurals, I started watching Major Crimes now that it's on HBO MAX because I really enjoyed The Closer years ago and holy mother of god I want to find the TNT exec who said "we need 20% of every episode devoted to the teenage victim / foster kid from the previous show" and just punch him in the stomach. Every time he's on screen the show just becomes annoying as all get out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Haha speaking of “names” I am rewatching the Nanny on HBO Max (watched portions as a kid with my mom) and I swear, every other guest star gets this massive audience pop and I just got “goddamn it” and head to IMBD because I never know them. I don’t know if it’s because of my age or my lack of theatre knowledge or both.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Go home, Khanstant.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Imagine throwing 200 million at any Mark Millar project
Oh for gently caress's sake

The thing is, Supercrooks could at least be fun. It’s a heist, you can do things with that and make it jokey or interesting. Even without the constant comparisons to The Boys, Jupiter’s Legacy looked to just be a joyless and self serious slog to the point even die hard super hero genre fans would go “why do I care about this”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve been rewatching Ted Lasso s1 and lemme tell you this show is even better than I remembered it’s so loving lovely and every character rules

It really is great how many of the players--even with very little screen time and lines--still feel like relatable, fully realized characters.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Wondering if any goons are still left from the old school Sons of Anarchy super thread? I used to loose my poo poo at the memes back in the day and I'm currently watching it absolutely shitfaced.

I’ve posted this before but one of the best moments of TV in my entire life was shitfaced with a friend watching the finale of the Potter season. Black SUV starts driving up and we joke “hey … what if it’s loving Danny Trejo and he was a spook the whole time”. And Danny Trejo walks out of the SUV and we are unable to breathe we’re laughing too hard.

Cael fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 23, 2021

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

Now I'm formally requesting the Dexter Black SUV gif

I legit did not know I would be quoting myself

Cael posted:

We'll finally solve the greatest plot thread left hanging!

What I did not try hard enough to find because I’m phone posting, really need the Jax walk GIF from when he walks into the warehouse

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Did the teenage angst in the plot of Superman and Lois get better/more bearable as the show went on? I know it’s CW and also the conflict between brothers is a central theme of the show, but it was just enough to turn me off for the moment and prioritize other TV and I’m not in the mood to go back and deal with those parts just to get to the great Clark and Lois parts.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Reading the thread made me binge White Lotus and holy poo poo this is incredible. The use of the drums and music during the dinner scene has to be one of the best ways of creating an ambiance I've ever seen. I desperately want the next episodes.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

South Park is now just in a race to the finish line with Simpsons of "who has overstayed their welcome the longest?"

And I say that as someone who still likes and watches South Park

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Alias really set the stage for (among other shows) Burn Notice where eventually every single drat season is "oh you THOUGHT you knew who was behind it but there's ANOTHER hidden deeper conspiracy level". At least with Lost the stupidity was new and "interesting", but ones like Alias and Burn Notice were just the same thing over and over again with just some new villain names.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Missed 9/11 by 3 days
It was always on his heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI
For real though, this loving sucks :(

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

If the live action Cowboy Bebop is well liked by regular people and manages to piss off weebs, it might be show of the year.
So much of the show's reception really seems like a no win scenario as evidenced by the reactions already, you're going to piss off someone. But this definitely seems like the BEST case scenario we're in right now. I don't have a super fervent attachment to the show, but when originally I saw "Netflix going to show the Bebop opening credits" my reaction was "HOW are they going to replace Tank?!?!" and when I finally saw it I knew they made the perfect call.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

nate fisher posted:

While several greats shows have been pointed out, I do believe there are no top tier dramas currently (unless I am forgetting one). Succession might be the closest, but when I say top tier I mean like Mad Men, The Wire, Deadwood, and The Sopranos. No drama airing today is at that level. For me Halt & Catch Fire is the last drama that hit that level.
Even beyond just the quality level, when you have more streaming options not only are there just more shows but it also decreased the probability of one single network having multiple of the current "it" shows, or even ones people talk about. I was just having this conversation with friends the other day, take a look at current HBO dramas:

quote:

Westworld (2016)
Succession (2018)
My Brilliant Friend (2018)*
Gentleman Jack (2019)*
Euphoria (2019)
His Dark Materials (2019)
Perry Mason (2020)
Industry (2020)*
The Nevers (2021)
In Treatment (2008–10; 2021)
Despite being poo poo in the past few seasons (though I'll still watch), Westworld really is their biggest remaining drama hit. You can argue that Succession is finally getting more widespread acclaim and recognition, but it took a few years. It's then largely shows that you've heard of but never seen, and then shows that you never knew existed. The ones I put asterisks on are co-produced with international TV so it's even debatable to really call them HBO shows, and is probably why nobody in your real life gives a gently caress about them. I actually liked the Nevers well enough and I know other people are hot on Perry Mason, but if you're talking about widespread touchstone shows they're almost all gone from HBO. Their comedy slate is definitely more solid overall.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I think their one offs have been fantastic lately.

Sharp Objects and White Lotus were fantastic, and even with he Stephen King problems, I really liked The Outsider. I also really enjoyed 100 Foot Wave.

And even though it’s been a few years, Chernobyl. That is a good point, they do seem like they’re killing it way more with limited / event series vs full ongoing shows.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I read the responses and it’s good information which makes sense but that will not stop me from agreeing with

OldSenileGuy posted:

I would gladly take all on-screen guns firing like this if it meant eliminating the use of CGI gunshot wounds/blood and going back to actual squibs.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

🎶This is NOT the greatest book in the world /
No, this is just a prologue 🎶

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Solar Opposites christmas episode is pretty good.

Thanks for the heads up. I still love Rick and Morty, but there's something so comforting and reliable about Solar Opposites and between the dialog and the visual gags it closes in on that 30 Rock tier of jokes per minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

It's absolutely insane how in the span of two months the discourse for Succession went from zero to goon. I started binging the show only after season 3 began and flipping through the older threads as I watched it was a light discussion and chat about a cool and good TV show. But now it's classic TV IV of people arguing / completely misinterpreting what the show literally tells you / wild speculation. This isn't directed at any one poster or posters in particular, people are just acting at times like the characters are playing 12th dimensional chess and nothing in the show tells us they're THAT competent. And it extends beyond SA.

I don't think it's the most overrated because that's a knock against its quality, but it's in the running for most over-discussed show for the moment. It's a pretty straightforward family Shakespearean drama and it's great, but it doesn't need this much in depth analysis.