Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmGFFJtkDXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Do yourself a favor and stop watching at the halfway point of the series finale. I had loved S4 up to that point and it was doing a lot of cool stuff but it farted itself to death right at the finish line.

The last hour or so of the finale felt like they had a bunch of stuff to wrap up and nowhere near enough time to do it, so they just pulled out a checklist and knocked things off borderline spitefully. It reminded me of the patton oswalt bit about the magician who took the stage after being stiffed five bucks.

Starbuck vanishes without a trace. TA-Da! Hera is Mitochondrial Eve. TA-DA!”
They had an end already decided on and wrote whatever contrivance they needed to arrive at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVR9mU1ojoc

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 12, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
To be fair, LOST filming in Hawaii is 90% of the reason why it looked so good. If someone finds a reason to set a show on a tropical island that isn't just cops/PIs maybe they can recapture some of that magic.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Unkempt posted:

Oh, like The Inhumans!
Yeah sure why not

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Shawn putting on some weight there

BTW if you want to see Gus as a villain, he's great in the blumhouse superhero film, Sleight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafJGrKvMIg

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BreaWgB91QM

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

I guess that's a problem if you think that TV programs are real.
If we've learned anything in the past few years is that a sizable amount of Americans think TV shows are real, a large enough amount to put dictators into power and kill hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans and not even think anything is wrong with that.

The question is, what is to be done about that?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X-O posted:

I get the point about children being fed the wrong messages when they are young but that doesn't just apply to the morality of cop shows or even TV in a broader sense. I don't care who you are, you're indoctrinated as a child with some kind of wrong message. Everyone is. The point is that you grow up learn it's either wrong or a fantasy. I can easily enjoy cop shows because I know they're not real and I don't need them to be real. Sure it's great that some do reflect reality but I'm a grown person that enjoys entertainment as just that sometimes. I can enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine just as much as I can enjoy watching something like Friday The 13th. Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.
Every time someone makes a dumb analogy like this they completely misconstrue the propaganda function of something like Friday the 13th to be "promoting hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers" instead of reinforcing societal attitudes towards sexually active teenagers as highly irresponsible and deserving of punishment. I knew someone who had exactly that mode of thinking instilled into them from birth and as they grew older they grew increasingly incapable of hiding their attitudes towards anyone they considered "deviant", to the point of repeatedly insisting out loud that "they got what they deserved" when watching horror movies or horror themed tv shows like The X-Files.

The same goes for your favorite cop show.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Escobarbarian posted:

Can someone watch Sweet Tooth and tell me if it’s any good please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo1a4QUqcqA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
John From Cincinnati was made by 9/11 truthers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They should have just licensed all of the original songs that Yoko Kanno plagiarized instead

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Big Mean Jerk posted:

R&M is one of those shows where the fandom (and one of the creators) has just completely poisoned the well for me. I’m pretty sure I watched thru the third season, but you couldn’t pay me to go back and rewatch it or watch the new seasons.

bull3964 posted:

Imagine having your enjoyment of a goofy irreverent thing dictated by externalities that you have to personally seek out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNyMn9HDXU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
As they say, ignorance is bliss

But perhaps there's something there about how a good chunk of the audience simply see the show as just a more violent Simpsons/Family Guy sitcom, and don't engage with it on any other level than that (and indeed could not be expected to when they're kids), while at the same time the whole "nihilistic atheistic supergenius supersciences his way out of all problems" undercurrent of the show attracts en-masse the exact type of reactionary would-be goon who throws tantrums in public over fast food sauce. It's very much a case of looking into a mirror and not liking what you see.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 22, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Was the first depiction of Harriet Tubman in a movie really Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Blacklist is one of those shows that I am always surprised is still going.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Steve Carell comes in as a last minute replacement for Spader. The show is cancelled the following year.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

Episode of six of Gangs of London is completely loving bonkers. The first couple of minutes I thought it was going to be a boring Darren centric episode with none of the actually interesting characters. And then poo poo starts escalating until two guys are literally vaporized in an explosion.
I like how Gangs of London keeps escalating to the point of utter ridiculousness

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's not like it's up to them.

This increasingly a post-cable world, so of course they're preparing to sell their cable news entirely divorced from cable subscriptions.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: it's being developed by the IT director guy, Muschetti. That's not great.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Could be worse, could be directed by the guy who did IT Chapter 2.

*checks imdb*

Oh no
I mean he also directed the first chapter and MAMA so eh

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, apparently pakistani special troops can attack a florist shop in in the middle of London and no one even notices.
Also, they're danish mercenaries, not dutch.
Even sillier then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-vs4W6jVig

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Wondering if any goons are still left from the old school Sons of Anarchy super thread? I used to loose my poo poo at the memes back in the day and I'm currently watching it absolutely shitfaced.
Look, all I know is that we have to get to the bottom of this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Let us all remember the good times and the best thing Community ever produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHtEpKBZh4

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Why

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They actually succeed in their revolution this time but then Sean Bean uses his Trumpian cult of personality and his willingness to press the red button that kills everyone to sabotage the new order.

Both the movie and TV show are based on a couple of comic books so I assume there's plenty of material to cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzzzJOHGwtU

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 30, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching the first episode of The White Lotus and didn't expect to see Steve Zahn fondling his cock and balls in front of Connie Britton to check if his balls are larger than normal.
What's the deal with Hollywood constantly setting shows and movies in Hawaii and filling them with only white people? I heard that Emma Stone movie was especially bad on that front.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

IRQ posted:

I remember it as being a slightly more serious sitcom, like blackish episodes that address social issues. I remember when he got robbed or something and bought a gun, then changed his mind about it, i forget why, he got spooked and pointed it at his mom or something maybe?
Nope he did target practice and had PTSD flashbacks to all the GSWs he treated in the ER

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5u4fdt

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hakkesshu posted:

Has anyone seen or even heard of Motherland Fort Salem? The synopsis says ""An army of witches train to combat terrorist threats" which I would assume would at least be entertaining in a stupid way but this is literally the first I've ever heard of it.

zoux posted:

It's....weird. It's very much a show aimed at tween/younger teen girls, but it's also about graphic depictions of battlefield trauma where these witch cadets are thrown into meat grinder situations. So, you'll have an episode where all the boys from the Boys Witch Academy go to the Girls Witch Academy for a sexy dance but the B-plot is about one of the cadets getting resurrected through necromancy and tortured for information. I watched about half of the first season, it's not great but it's better than you would think. It's like Full Metal Jacket mixed with Step Up.

This is the greatest promotional poster ever made

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not only is it still on it has 2 spinoffs

It probably shouldn't surprise you any more than learning that yet another cop/doctor/lawyer show has been running for over a decade and has 2 spinoffs set in different cities/professions

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 15, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

WhiteHowler posted:

Lost clones are BACK, baby!

Anyone remember FlashForward, Alcatraz, or The Event?

None of those were actually good, but those three shows soured me on starting any network "mystery" shows in the first season or two.
Flash Forward was actually kinda memorable because it had John Cho, but they clearly had no idea what to do after their season of LOST-style mini stories was up so they just go "aaand ANOTHER flash forward event happens!"

Alcatraz was bad.

The Event was so bonkers and insane it seemed to be that these NBC showrunners were aware they were never going to get a second season anyway so they just end it in the most amazing "paint yourself into a corner" way possible. It's hilarious. It's also the least like LOST because it answers all its mysteries in the most nuts manner possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKkbA5P5qI

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 29, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
My favorite thing about Lost was when a character would get some much needed development in the flashback as usual so you think you finally know what they're about but then the actor gets arrested for a DUI and then we get another flashback that undoes all that development and it turns out that no, they were actually a real poo poo and then they die.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's maybe not quite a Lost clone but there was the Syfy miniseries/backdoor pilot Ascension from a few years ago, premised on the idea that JFK secretly had a generation ship launched towards Alpha Centauri, but the culture onboard remains in the 1960s, so it was very obviously "Mad Men in space".

And halfway through you learn the ship isn't real, everyone onboard just thinks they've been in space for 50 years but they're actually just sitting in a bunker on Earth so that they can be observed by sociologists.

And then the show ends with someone developing psychic powers and actually teleporting everyone to Alpha Centauri.
That was a SyFy miniseries, not really a Lost clone. Actually, I wouldn't consider anything that actually answers all its mysteries within its runtime a true Lost clone.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 29, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the one with Littlefinger roaming around flyover America complaining about how it sucked and started forest fires. It's one of those mid budget 90s movies that starred Wesley Snipes.
Those Who Wish Me Dead could have been a high tier Sheridan but Angelina Jolie was simply miscast. Felt like John Punisherman and Punisherwife should have been the main characters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hughmoris posted:

Throw in Justified's opener for awful songs.
What is this bullshit

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Alias is going to give you a lot of "extremely made after 9/11" vibes but for the first couple seasons it remains pretty solid.

https://ew.com/article/2003/02/07/behind-alias-shocking-super-bowl-sunday-revamp/

Once the double agent stuff stops (ABC execs presumed that the mass football audience they were trying to attract by putting jennifer garner in lingere in their superbowl spot wouldn't understand such complex ideas as "spying for someone while pretending to spy for someone else") you'll notice it starts sliding.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 13, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Splint Chesthair posted:

Alias lost me the moment they unrolled an ancient scroll and boom there’s a sketch of Jennifer Garner’s face.
That was just the big JJ Abrams "there will be time travel in this" notice and then they failed to actually deliver

GreenNight posted:

Are there any shows like Burn Notice in anymore?
There's a new Leverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPOeC78AV4M

It did feel like the seasonal villain stuff got bigger each season and it’s why I fell off at/after S4. The small scale stuff was so much more fun.
Yeah I think that's about where everyone fell off because the show didn't last much longer

Khanstant posted:

Fuckin Netflix, people give it poo poo for cancelling shows after two seasons, but maybe they should have a mandate to auto-greenlight 2 seasons of anything they make. Watched a show last night "Nobody's Looking." It looked dumb the first time I tried watching and I bounced off, but this time I actually really enjoyed it. It was a fun take on angels and stuff, I love a metaphysical bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger and I looked it up and they aren't making another season. drat you netflix. Why did y'all even suggest it to me if it's already in your ditch?
The problem is shows like that aren't real Netflix originals, they're foreign shows that Netflix picks up the international rights to. So the reason it only got one season is because the network in the country where it was made decided not to make more and there's not really anything Netflix can do.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 14, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Khanstant posted:

Has Netflix or streaming services done that yet, or they have so little control or stakes over it that there's not much way or reasons or timing to do that sort of thing?
Every single Marvel Netflix show backdoor piloted another show, for one.

Every single Marvel and Star Wars Disney show has at least attempted to pilot multiple other shows, doesn't always work out

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Edward Mass posted:

It looks like [adult swim] is losing the 8PM Eastern hour to regular Cartoon Network.
No point in keeping it without endless family guy reruns

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
We should call them years instead of seasons or series

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

swickles posted:

The problem with that is (at least before like 3-4 years ago) most shows "seasons/series/years" spanned from Fall to Spring, so encompassing two years.
Right, I just mean calling it "Year 1" and "Year 2" etc., instead of referring to the calendar year.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Meanwhile, the cable channels that were once owned by Scripps (HGTV, Food Network, etc) use a "13 episodes = 1 season" model. House Hunters is nearing season 150.

E:: This week was the season premiere for #206 :pwn:
I suggest in those sorts of cases we take a cue from the Japanese who love their French and replace "season" with "cour"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Midnight Mass starts with an incredibly graphic close up on a head wound accident victim