Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

mhmm Stephen king mhmm yum moneeey

-- My impression of a TV executive literally anywhere right now.

Remember when The Dark Tower movie was coming out, and they hyped the possibility of two more movies, with interlinked TV miniseries in between each movie, because they were sure it was gonna be a massive blockbuster franchise on the scale of the LotR trilogy? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

As someone that grew up in the suburbs in Michigan, I will say yes.

In middle school after a girl dyed her hair, she was taken to the principal's office and was told that she had to dye it back because it would be too big of a distraction or take a two week suspension. She came out and told everyone and a lot of people came in the next day with dyed hair. It was crazy. My best friend dyed his hair blond and his dad asked him if he was gay... I grew up in a dramedy.

I feel like if you take elements of My So Called Life, The Detroiters, and weirdly Derry Girls it may give someone a good understanding of my 90s experience.

I spent the first four years of the 1990s in the military, with most of that being in the UK at the height of the grunge era, and when I returned to the US to finish out my enlistment it was a complete culture shock. Not just with UK civilians dyeing their hair or having nose rings, but even on the base I was at, it wasn't considered that big of a deal if a teenager dyed their hair or got a nose ring (obviously this varied depending on families and peer groups, of course). I listened to a lot of metal and punk, and even in that mostly conservative setting of an overseas US military base, at most my Motorhead or Misfits shirts might get the odd askew glance. When I came back to the US, the vast majority of people on the base thought anyone who liked punk or metal or grunge was a subversive anarchist Satanic commie pinko. And forget seeing a civilian dependent spouse or teenage kid on base with "radically" dyed colors in their hair or a nose ring or whatever (there were always exceptions, of course, but they generally proved the rule). And it wasn't much different offbase at the time, either; even when I got out, there were people who'd still give someone a dirty look for wearing a White Zombie shirt or whatnot. About the only way you could get away with that kinda stuff in early to mid 1990s America was if you were lucky enough to be in a big city where nobody gave a poo poo. I don't think dyeing one's hair (or having a nose ring, or a zillion tats) started to be viewed as somewhat acceptable by the average small town or suburban person in the US until maybe the late 1990s or so.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

zoux posted:

More journalistic malpractice from the Daily Planet

That's your loving A1? In that size headline? At least the author doesn't have a 5x7 headshot next to the byeline this time I guess.

This reminds me of the jokes they'd make on MST3K, whenever an old film did the "spinning newspaper headline" trick, and the movie studios would just reuse the same newspaper prop, with the same secondary headlines, over and over again in numerous films. "BUILDING CODE UNDER FIRE" "Oh, that poor building code. :ohdear:"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

IRQ posted:

Rush Limbaugh got literally everything he wanted.

IIRC he was anti-Trump at first, because he wanted Republican politicians to keep the quiet parts quiet and let him and others say the quiet parts out loud, as a way of deflecting blame off Republicans onto media people like him, so that the politicians could keep getting elected; and also because someone like Trump would eventually mobilize the Democratic base against him the way Limbaugh and others tried to motivate the Republicans against Bill Clinton and later Obama. Of course, like nearly everyone in conservative media during Trump's reign of error, he eventually came to kiss the ring, but I'm pretty sure he would've rather had a new version of GWB instead of Trump. And he died seeing the Republicans lose both the executive and legislative branches while the nutjobs he helped inspire have (finally) been getting labeled "domestic terrorists" and arrested by the bushel. So at least he died knowing that the carefully crafted conservative media machine he was such a huge part of was finally taken over by the people most likely to drive it straight into the ground, so there's some comfort in that. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

wizardofloneliness posted:

For real. I had to watch a lot of Little House and I thought it was some sappy feel-good family show at first, but I grew to like it quite a bit. It got surprisingly real sometimes. Mary losing her eyesight and then convincing herself that she was getting it back was just sad. Poor Mary, she got a pretty lovely deal overall.

I've been doing a rewatch of WKRP in Cincinnati (one of my favorite sitcoms of all time), and in the "Real Families" episode there's a bit of a dig at LHotP, which was beating WKRP in the ratings at the time. Herb's wife gets asked what kind of shows they let their kids watch, and she says "The Little House in the Prairie, that's a fine, wholesome show. It's about blind children out west, and every week they have a fire, or someone gets an incurable disease. We enjoy it very much!" :v: