Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Modern multi-cam sitcoms have zero defining traits or style, so if the gimmick extends long enough for a pastiche of 00s-20s shows I’d expect a single-cam The Office kind of thing instead.

From the trailers it looks like the modern era one is probably based on Modern Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a reason why seemingly everyone on Twitter, Discord, and SA has been watching old Columbo episodes for the last two or three months?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I would certainly like to see what writers predict a hypothetical plague could be like

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Was that actually Matthew Rhys in the pilot of Girls5Eva

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm wondering if everything we see is happening as is, minus the laugh track. Even though it's filmed like a sitcom, the things he does are still lovely, which I think is the point? The idea being that it looks all cute and good when delivered by a clown and accompanied by a studio audience, but it's not actually okay behavior no matter how funny everyone else finds it. When we see them on the phone with each other, Annie's side is "real" but the things she's responding to are still clearly ludicrous sitcom things like Kevin setting up an escape room in his basement.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm not discounting that such a scene could happen, but I think the message would be very different if there was a "real" Kevin and he was more obviously abusive. The show is pretty clear about calling out how Kevin's behavior is enabled by people who think he's funny, and it paints the audience who laughs at that sort of humor as being complicit--even the title screen makes that apparent. If they were to show that, instead, he's actually super mean and very obviously bad, then the audience doesn't have as much to feel bad for because they were "lied" to--what's important is that its impact on the wife becomes visible and that we empathize with that, instead of us waiting for the ball to drop so we can validate her feelings.

I think the more likely possibility is that we'll see Kevin and his friends acting exactly the same, but it'll be shot in the "real" style and devoid of laughter, with us empathizing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh wow, Evil was good this week and their reactions to having to investigate whether or not a white cop who shot a black man was possessed by a demon was :discourse: but what I'm really excited for is for them to come back from break because it's going to be their take on Hush (the Buffy episode I mean).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/Ihnatko/status/1426753931137495040

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I have no loving clue where Evil is going but I like it

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s called “Cheezus Crust”

Glee did it first :smug:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I finally started on Lucifer and I like how Chloe has her own subplot where she investigates the reason for all the mysterious happenings around Lucifer... except he keeps flat out telling her "I'm the devil, it's not my fault you don't believe me" every episode, but she just writes it off then continues looking for evidence that Lucifer is some sort of supernatural being.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Evil: As usual I have no idea what's going on or what motivates anyone other than the core trio, but I'm strangely enjoying it

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I would say Chuck benefitted from always being on the bubble because it was kind of interesting seeing them do a series finale every half season and essentially adopt the saying "three steps forward, two steps back" into a TV show. It definitely felt like the characters made development that they wouldn't have otherwise had they not thought it was the finale. One of the more prominent writers is now co-showrunner on Legends of Tomorrow, and I can definitely feel the DNA. Anyway, it's a fun show in the vein of Legends and I liked it to the end, with season 4 probably being the low point mostly because of a lot of unremarkable episodes. But it does the heartwarming stuff really well and is one of my favorite shows for good feels.

The whole show does feel a bit tainted now, though, because of the presence of Adam Baldwin, who incredibly in real life is actually a MORE exaggerated version of his Republican character on Chuck and is all around terrible.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Or does it???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Damien Dhark will be a tough act to top.

Legends of Tomorrow s5 spoilers