Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I was having a lymphadenctomy on the morning of 9/11 and when I came to, the hospital was on lockdown and everyone in Recovery was watching the TV instead of the patients. The horrified gasps of the nurses when the second plane hit is something that's stuck with me to this day.

In that moment, it felt like the world was ending in my then-drugged up teenaged mind.

Mu Zeta posted:

On 9/11 I walked into Tower Records to buy the new CAKE and Ben Folds albums. The CAKE "Comfort Eagle" came with a free t-shirt.

Those were some good choices. Commissioning a Symphony in C is still Cake's best song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

pentyne posted:

logic doesn't track because she looks better now then when she was on seinfeld.

similar to Gillian Anderson some women just age into jaw dropping attractiveness.

I call this the Lucy Lawless effect. It's extremely powerful.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve always talked about shows I like and shows I don’t like! I am no different, you just chose to focus on the negative before!

e: essentially I am just extremely vocal about all shows of all quality

I was just kinda "yeah this show is okay" re: Euphoria while it aired but these specials have been extremely loving good and on point. If Zendaya and Hunter Schafer aren't nominated for awards this year, I'm sending some strongly worded letters.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Argue posted:

Is there a reason why seemingly everyone on Twitter, Discord, and SA has been watching old Columbo episodes for the last two or three months?

I've been rewatching Columbo and Poirot off and on and it's been a nice shield from hellworld. I forgot how utterly charming both Peter Falk and David Suchet were.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I know Piesse was part of the franchise beforehand but now it's known she was a willing participant in a sex cult that trafficked women. Even if she feels bad about it now, I feel like the whole sex cult thing should preclude you from being in a Disney show. (All shows imo)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unless I’m forgetting parts of The Vow, Piesse was one of the cult’s victims and ended up escaping not long after her “initiation” into the actual sex part of the cult.

Wow, poo poo, I'm sorry, I somehow mixed up Piesse and Allison Mack. I forgot that Piesse was the lady that had her husband (Mark Vicente) completely ignore her and made her do degrading poo poo for doubting Raniere.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Simone Magus posted:

I tapped out on that thing, I kept getting this gross feeling that the documentary was kinda trying to portray the 8chan guys as "cool" rather than the tremendously harmful assholes they are

It doesn't glamorize them at all. The first episode plays into the folksy facade of each of the 8ch owners then every subsequent episode has pulled out an "oh btw these people are extremely awful" moment of some kind, culminating in the guy that is Q slipping up and admitting it at the end. It's not the greatest docuseries but it's nowhere near the level of hagiography that the Vow turned out to be.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I can't blame that lady for being so annoyed about the situation. It feels like a large portion of the media about black people nowadays is about either slavery, injustices, racism and other societal wrongs and it is honestly loving exhausting. We could have all manner of various programs written and created by black authors and showrunners but what largely gets greenlit are things about the aforementioned topics.

It might seem silly to dismiss that woman's response but I'm starting to feel the same kind of frustration she seems to be experiencing. At some point there has to be diminishing returns on yet another piece of media "exploring" black people suffering.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Chairman Capone posted:

Piven was also just in one of those one-season network procedurals, where he played fake Jeff Bezos funding his own police department or something like that. Prior to that, he was in four seasons of a British prestige period drama. At some point, the ride just ends.

Mr Selfridge was weirdly one of my favorite Masterpiece Theatre shows to watch aside from Poirot and the 80th season of Death in Paradise.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

The World Inferno posted:

Legion definitely does that thing bad 'Thriller' shows do where characters allegiances turn on a dime and there's one too many of them to feel great about it.

There's probably a trope for that, but the BBC's Utopia comes to mind as the worst offender of that – brilliant opening, then just one twist too many and suddenly the guy commits a school shooting is a good guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

I mean, part of the point of Utopia was the entire cast was broken, awful people. Arby is only "good" insofar that he turns against the antagonists. Jessica Hyde also did some really hosed up poo poo before the show's start, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Khanstant posted:

why baby morpheus? why do they have space phones, though it was supposed to be a late 90s sim. I have many questions and I hope they answer them in one film rather than two movies you still basically just gotta read a synopsis of to get.

Morpheus canonically died in the MMO. It was that game's big event before it ultimately went belly up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

External Organs posted:

Is anyone else watching Reservation Dogs on Hulu? I loving love it and you will too.

I love the show and it captures the vibe of the quasi-dying Midwest communities better than any other show I've seen.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I saw Pierrot le Fou and the Youngest Shaft Brother in the opening so I'm gonna watch it for that alone.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Timby posted:

As long as Doug TenNapel is nowhere near it.

He sold off the rights a while back so he gets nothing from this, thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Oasx posted:

Everyone should watch The Middleman, it is so good!

To this day whenever I see Natalie Morales pop up in various shows I hear "Wendy Watson" in Noser's cadence in my head. I didn't know Grillo-Marxuach had anything to do with the live action Cowboy Bebop but hell, that alone has me interested.

Hakkesshu posted:

Foundation is fine, very pretty, I enjoy it, but it also just makes me wish we could get that amount of money for a Legend of Galactic Heroes show.

A good live action adaptation of LoGH is something too good and pure for this hellworld we live in.