Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

This is the frustration of the modern Garf. The first one has a new prop! An actual piece of the world that has been affected by the cast. But they're all so static, so lifeless, so ramrod straight and copy pasted.

The second one is just aggressively static. The off screen bizarre event gag can work, but it works best when the concept of seeing action is somewhat plausible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "22 - Jucika and "Romeo""

"Jucika Saves a Life"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jucika is Wholesome on Main

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 08, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Oct. 08, 1944)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

Also, Crankshaft ignoring Covid for over a year, and now making jokes about it as if people aren't still dying from it, is amazing. I know it's not gaslighting but is this gaslighting?

The speculation for some time has been that Batiuk writes his strips a year in advance so that he gets a good long lead time, but also so he can be in the proper mind set (writing Christmas strips around Christmastime, wildfire strips when everybody's dying in wildfires, etc). So he wasn't really ignoring it for a year, because COVID-19 didn't exist yet when he was writing those strips. As for the storyline we're seeing today, a year ago we were just starting to get our minds wrapped around the idea of this whole COVID thing and starting to quarantine, but we didn't yet realize that this would still be such a huge loving problem a year later. Batiuk, like a lot of people, seems to have assumed that COVID would just be a dim memory by now. Remember that weird pandemic thingy that happened? Crazy! Glad that's over!

Time to cut your losses, sit down with your coworkers you wrangled into this, and enjoy some fancy loving dinner and harp music.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It’s pretty impressive that Tiffany was able to put anything together with like what, a day’s notice? I don’t understand why the Evanses are so hellbent on assassinating Bets’ character.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 19, 2021

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

"He has two friends, lives with his mom so he can spend money on toys, and is prematurely bald."
While I hate that I know this, I believe Mike lives in an apartment next to Skip and not with his mother anymore.

How he makes a living remains unexplained as far as I know.

Other than that I agree: Just get on with it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mark Trail is now nothing but adventures in running into childhood friends.

Mary Worth

He's a doctor in a hospital and works in a clinic, and they certainly haven't set up any reason to believe he's particularly unhappy. I assume the issue is he's single, and therefore cannot possibly be happy.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Yeah that's a dog.

Apartment 3-G

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Green Intern posted:

It’s pretty impressive that Tiffany was able to put anything together with like what, a day’s notice? I don’t understand why the Evanses are so hellbent on assassinating Bets’ character.

Without looking, I'm gonna bet a cup of coffee that the comments are tearing Bets apart. (Wrongly, I might add: she's the one who's ponying up the cash, and she specifically asked for pirates, so she's completely justified in leaving.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Eh, I think Bets is wrong(too.) Either this is clumsy character assassination or a really strained friends fighting story but nobody is really good here(so classic Luann storytelling.) The exchange is like "Here's my idea for a fine dining set up, a hypothetical project pitch for our business course." "Wow, I'd pay $300 to have a nice dinner for two with my boyfriend, also no other restaurant exists in town." "Ok, deal. Mansion fine?" "Yes also pirates lol random." "No. Here's my waiter, cook, immaculate decor and literal harpist I got on a days notice." "AGGHHHH IM UNREASONABLE" "ME TOO."

Edit: Remembering that Betsy pressured Gunther, a "good boy" out of righteous studying to do costume work out of the blue. Definitely supposed to see Betsy as a bad egg according to author bumbling.

Bets walking out and leaving Tiffany in the hole is pretty lousy. I don't even see how you'd make a pirate themed dinner on a budget like that anyway. Comb a bunch of antiques shops for old wooden pieces and "my first personal living space" goth-lite decor, serve some fruity punchy "grog" and whatever rustic food, hire some guy who'll act in character and play on an accordian or something as a hobby? Or maybe Bets really would be all in on the $50 at party city kids setup.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mikl posted:

Without looking, I'm gonna bet a cup of coffee that the comments are tearing Bets apart. (Wrongly, I might add: she's the one who's ponying up the cash, and she specifically asked for pirates, so she's completely justified in leaving.)

Fairly evenly spit between "Bets sucks," "The Customer Is Always Right," "They both suck, actually," and "Saganaki is good"/"Tiff should eat the food." A few "Gunther should date Tiff" and "I like Ox's French" for spicy flavor. I was mildly amused by the comment observing that of course TJ is into flambe.

Anyway, Tiff has a fancy mansion that she was willing to use as a convenient location to host a fancy meal. Sure, fine. Demanding that Tiff gently caress up her fancy mansion with pirate decor for a mere $300 is not reasonable. I was going to go back and see if Tiff ever actually said, "No, I'm not doing the pirate thing," but GoComics is taking a poo poo right now.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Upper middle class and low upper class would love a custom, private dinner experience like that.
Like, Dunno if it’d ultimately be worth the time/effort but I could see the wealthy dropping $$$ for an exclusive experience.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I probably say this a lot, but that right there is the platonic ideal of a Far Side strip.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Fairly evenly spit between "Bets sucks," "The Customer Is Always Right," "They both suck, actually," and "Saganaki is good"/"Tiff should eat the food." A few "Gunther should date Tiff" and "I like Ox's French" for spicy flavor. I was mildly amused by the comment observing that of course TJ is into flambe.

Anyway, Tiff has a fancy mansion that she was willing to use as a convenient location to host a fancy meal. Sure, fine. Demanding that Tiff gently caress up her fancy mansion with pirate decor for a mere $300 is not reasonable. I was going to go back and see if Tiff ever actually said, "No, I'm not doing the pirate thing," but GoComics is taking a poo poo right now.
Wasn't this whole thing supposed to be a proof-of-concept for her small business class or something?

Because if that's the case then yeah Tiffany is loving up big time.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

e:

amigolupus posted:

Okay, that's a fair point about not wanting a teenager to work in a bar. Though, I got curious and checked it out, and I got a detail wrong. It wasn't actually a bar he wanted to work in, it was his aunt's diner/pool hall:
God, I knew this was classist but forgot just how insufferably classist it was. Oh no, it's somewhere the working class might go. The horror!

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 16, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 23rd, 1940

Axa

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 11/23-25/42

Middle strip spoilered because Frappy opens his yappy and talks like, well, a black person in a 1940s comic.

"It's the woman we have only heard described in a 3,000-year-long game of telephone! We'd know her anywhere!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Someone stole this kid's balls!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wasn't this whole thing supposed to be a proof-of-concept for her small business class or something?

Because if that's the case then yeah Tiffany is loving up big time.

Proof of concept as far as like, coming up with names and slogans I think, not putting together a mock restaurant. Actually building something at all was entirely Bets' idea, as was it being pirates.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Poor Cooper couldn't escape. :(

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
At least he's working somewhere with a chill dress code, apparently.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I wonder what's going to be wrong with this dystopia. The obvious explanation is that the farmers are slaves and the artisans are nazi overlords but that seems unlikely given that Romero himself is an artisan.

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 11/23-25/42

Middle strip spoilered because Frappy opens his yappy and talks like, well, a black person in a 1940s comic.

"It's the woman we have only heard described in a 3,000-year-long game of telephone! We'd know her anywhere!"

Ehhh I'm not convinced Frappy is a black person compared to just a guy who talks in working class slang. He certainly doesn't look black, and I wouldn't have made that connection if you hadn't said as much.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Ehhh I'm not convinced Frappy is a black person compared to just a guy who talks in working class slang. He certainly doesn't look black, and I wouldn't have made that connection if you hadn't said as much.

He's literally calling Prof Hoot "massa" in the spoilered strip.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

I wonder what's going to be wrong with this dystopia. The obvious explanation is that the farmers are slaves and the artisans are nazi overlords but that seems unlikely given that Romero himself is an artisan.

It's an interesting one, I'll say that.

Some Guy TT posted:

Based on this one (which wasn't spoilered when it was posted, but I'll do that here):

I'm pretty sure he is, but the printing is light.

Edit: ^^ that too.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (October 31, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 19, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 16, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 1, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 31, 1935)

Mopsy (December 30, 1936)

Dark Laughter (February 24, 1945)

Those Were the Days (October 23, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 22, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 22, 1965)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

He's literally calling Prof Hoot "massa" in the spoilered strip.

Massie, actually, which I didn't recognize as a bastardization of massa and which I'd never seen before. But I concede the point. And am also appreciating the irony of how the caricature went unnoticed. Just my personal opinion that spoiler tags are overused in this thread and should be retired for timg tags except in particularly egregious cases.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 23, 1952)

Anyone who thinks taxes work this way should be required to pay them that way.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Personally I'm intrigued by the implication that the whole "no one understands how income tax brackets work" talking point dates to the fifties rather than to when income taxes were actually introduced.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Anyone who thinks taxes work this way should be required to pay them that way.

:hmmyes:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (February 24, 1945)

I don't mind the poor image quality because I'm really enjoying Private Bootsie Goes to War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm actually really coming around to the increasingly intense binary color scheme in Dark Laughter because it makes it harder to get lost in the detail so I can just focus on the punchline. By the same token, I actually like Classic Kevin and Kel a lot less now that it's transitioned to a full palette because it's so bright and colorful I can't focus on the insane worldbuilding as easily.