Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mikl posted:

Also, we get some first-hand evidence of the discrimination domesticated animals face in that society.

Vin wanting to end this discrimination was treated as villanous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

That little "girls are so emotional" aside sailed right over my tiny child head.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Man, Harold Gray was a bootlicker.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Less interested today.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

If I wrote a hit children's book, I would read the fan mail all drat day.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Caphi posted:

That little "girls are so emotional" aside sailed right over my tiny child head.

The more I reread Calvin the less I like him.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

I guess you can't have an old comic without some racist caricatures. At least this time it's a mask rather than a person with such features.

The comic rushes through this party scene and makes it feel pretty pointless, but in the book it takes several chapters and the whole thing was apparently a pretty big deal and took several years of preparations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Pavilion_at_Drottningholm

Earlier I was wondering about knobs/buttons Eerikki was hired to manufacture. The book actually explains that they were buttons for Chinese uniforms (the whole party had China theme).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Goddamn Heloise has had such a radder life already than her loser brother

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Rex Morgan writer: "Any time we write a comic that doesn't include Buck, the other characters should be asking "Where's Buck?"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It feels like Jules Rivera feels empowered to just do the dumbest bullshit imaginable in Mark Trail because of what she believes to be the bulletproof "ok boomer" defense.

SubNat posted:

Don't mind me, just casually unboxing a product to dirty it up and try it right here on the sales floor. (Assuming the product even comes with a battery to try it with.)
Don't worry, if I like it I'll grab one of the boxed ones and buy that, don't want to buy this dirty one.

I worked at a toy store for a few years and this poo poo happened constantly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Don't mind me, just casually unboxing a product to dirty it up and try it right here on the sales floor. (Assuming the product even comes with a battery to try it with.)
Don't worry, if I like it I'll grab one of the boxed ones and buy that, don't want to buy this dirty one.

It's always strange when such a subliminally boomer thing slips through without him even realizing it.
I've encountered a customer doing that once, but she corrected herself and agreed to buy the kids/toy book she'd taken the shrinkwrap off of when I called her out on it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

It's always strange when such a subliminally boomer thing slips through without him even realizing it.
I've encountered a customer doing that once, but she corrected herself and agreed to buy the kids/toy book she'd taken the shrinkwrap off of when I called her out on it.

It does look like there are display models out of the package as well, in panel 1

I was just hung up on that super form fitting apron, myself. Lady's boob must look just like her nose, but smaller.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
pointy enough to take out an eye, just how I like 'em!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: It's just like that one scene from Fury Road, or Lone Eagle faces the music, or Child of Water is a legendary figure from Apache folklore, who is at least demi-devine. I have no idea how accurate the final panel on this page is, but is certainly how it was represented in the book originally. However, considering how fast and loose it's played with other things re. Native Americans, I'd take it with a large grain of salt - if anyone can verify/correct, I'd very much welcome it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mikl posted:

Also, we get some first-hand evidence of the discrimination domesticated animals face in that society.

Aside from "It's meant to be a metaphor for being gay" I'm not sure why domestication faces discrimination in that society. Like, one of the things the strip has gone over many times is that domestication makes you fiercely loyal to significant others or bosses. In fact Ralph's domestication was given as a reason why he gave up on attacking Kevin. So wouldn't companies want to hire as many domesticated animals as they could, since it mean they could treat them however they liked but the domestication would keep the employees loyal? That sounds like a wet dream for most management types.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

god it is only wednesday isnt it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Brutalist architecture 100% is underrated, loving love it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

rannum posted:

god it is only wednesday isnt it

It is Wednesday, my dude.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Zerilan posted:

Vin wanting to end this discrimination was treated as villanous.
Hellworld.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I miss Shauna. :(

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

It is Wednesday, my dude.

And you know what that means.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

And you know what that means.

Hell yes!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (May 16, 1992)

Uffda.

Classic Zits

Some Guy TT posted:

I think in terms of middle school students race really isn't a factor when it comes to the Civil War being a huge abstraction they can't be bothered to care about. It's not like you actually need to know what was going on in the Civil War to understand race and racism on a day by day basis.
I don't know if this is right-- I think Black children can't really escape knowing that the "state's rights (to own slaves)" line of thinking is complete bunk, and as a white person in a white school district with the only Black history teacher for miles around, I'm lucky that I learned about the horrors of slavery at all. Considering Billingsley's amazing art for key aspects of Blackness (like the church hats and Kwanzaa stories), I'd guess it's about 50/50 if he addresses it (because, for all his talents, the man is a lackluster storyteller and may have just thrown it out with no intention of following up)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 1/28-30/43

So Deer has a half-brother? Patterson may be drawing inspiration from either Cleopatra or Hatshepsut, both of whom married and shared rule with their half-brothers.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

comics

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EBB posted:

comics

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
COMICS?!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 12, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 8, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 14, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 24, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 23, 1935)

Mopsy (January 23, 1937)

Dark Laughter (July 14, 1945)

Those Were the Days (March 12, 1953)

Wee Pals (August 13, 1965)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 1/25-27/43

So, does she actually have any powers other than being able to hibernate perfectly for a couple millennia? I'm kind of disappointed there's no Stardust-level lunacy.

... and now some practical magic!
B Kliban

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 2, 1933)

Peanuts (May 8, 1974)

Funky WinkerWHAT?

It would make more sense if they said they named him Bingo because playtime always starts with a free spot. :shrug:

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which it's a small drat world, innit. (December 4, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 23-25, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (July 19-21, 1917)

Dok's "Punitive Exposition" Duck (August 3, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 6, 2021

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (July 14, 1945)

Oh drat.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"We named the cat Brimbleship because he once won us $1500 on a lottery ticket purchase."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Man, Jack was totally out of his league, wasn't he?

The Dinette Set looked different in the showroom.

Working Daze I don't even know anymore.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is precocious.

Cul De Sac makes the dream work.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

We named the cat Jucika because he reminds us of Hungary's repressive communist regime under the Eastern Bloc.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
We named the cat carcinoma because everyone in this town gets cancer

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We named the cat Luann because he's an intolerable nitwit

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Our cat named himself and we're afraid to ask him how to pronounce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

We named the cat Elrod because we don’t know jack.