Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/5/01

Stephen Collins

The bald guy is Toby Young, a right-wing pundit. The statue is of Laurence Fox, an actor who's more or less the British equivalent of Scott Baio or Kevin Sorbo.

Brenda Starr 11/4/45

Smokey Stover 6/1-3/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

That's not the saying. :colbert:
The reasons why people stay in abusive relationships are complicated and involve a lot of psychology, power dynamics, and gender dynamics, so I'm not surprised MW is skimming past it with "in hindsight I should have left but well, I was just deep in it you know?".

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tomorrow on Rex Morgan MD: "Now that I've had some exercise I sure deserve a snack"
"I sure am thirsty after that workout, time to rehydrate with this sugary gatorade."

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor does the research

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Ghostlight posted:

Bogor does the research

Chapter One should be Green Hill Zone.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is exact change only.

Working Daze whatever.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is stuck in a rut.

Cul De Sac raises a good point.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tomorrow on Rex Morgan MD: "Now that I've had some exercise I sure deserve a snack"

Since tomorrow is Sunday we'll get a recap of everything Buck did this week. MAYBE in the final panel we'll get a mention of Buck thinking about considering a snack.

Monday: Buck continues to think about food. By Friday, he might even take action.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

By this time next year he might even be getting some insulin!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Selachian posted:

The bald guy is Toby Young, a right-wing pundit. The statue is of Laurence Fox, an actor who's more or less the British equivalent of Scott Baio or Kevin Sorbo.

Kevin Sorbo makes me sad. I loved Hercules and Andromeda and whenever he showed up in a Sci-Fi channel original movie. He was even in a Kull movie, though it wasn't very good. But, God! What a piece of poo poo!

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 24th, 1940

Axa

After a solid early showing, Jason's just been the worst. I hope he bites it soon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FrumpleOrz posted:

Chapter One should be Green Hill Zone.
Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't link the comic to the sonic spin noise again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Green Intern posted:

Ah, a rare A&J that's specifically about Not Fuckin.

Hate to break it to you but you do know what "wanting more" is right?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Haifisch posted:

The reasons why people stay in abusive relationships are complicated and involve a lot of psychology, power dynamics, and gender dynamics, so I'm not surprised MW is skimming past it with "in hindsight I should have left but well, I was just deep in it you know?".

I was surprised when MW took this angle after the weird launch with Eve crying at the mannequin, but should have known better than to think this would end up being anything other than a gross storyline promoting unhealthy and outdated beliefs. You can bet your favorite asscheek the moral of the storyline is going to be "The best way to get over an abusive relationship is to fall in love with someone else! All your problems will be solved, thanks to that special someone a man."

Moy has been pushing a lot of last-century, explicitly or implicitly sexist rhetoric in the past ... all storylines, and it's really nagging at me in a way Mary Worth should not make me care about.

that was a mess of a sentence but w/e

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Wonder if her name is Daisy.
Just a little bit late of me, but I'm not sure exactly what you were referencing here, unless it was this?

EDIT: wait unless you were commenting on the sheep. I'm not sure why I assumed you were talking about the shark :doh:

LingcodKilla posted:

That's what they meant I believe: the strip is about deliberately engaging in NOT fuckin, so as to incite desire for fuckin later.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 20, 1933)

Peanuts (February 8-9, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "Indecipherable Gibberish That Apparently Turns Some People On" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which there's more than one way to beat a lie detector. (September 7-8, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 20-22, 1936)

It's a double-trolley Saturday on Toonerville Folks (February 16-18, 1917)

And dammit, I just can't help myself...

Seriously, she's a slightly less sinister Little My.

Dok's "Vengeance of the Spanish Prisoner's Prisoner" Duck (June 13, 1913)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes. They shared an intimate hug, and then did not bone down. He left her wanting more.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Alright, I've been a freeloader long enough, time for me to actually add something to this thread.

Ballard Street is a one-panel strip created by Jerry Van Amerongen, recently retired. I grew up reading the Swedish Larson! comic book (centered around The Far Side) which included this comic (called "Irrvägen" in Swedish) and I instantly fell in love with the crazy old people running around on Ballard St.

Ballard Street is no longer in production, but Jerry Van Amerongen is quite active on Facebook, where he occasionally posts personal projects such as paintings. He seems like a real chill old man.

I start with February 4-6.

And I will finish off with what I think is one of the funniest comics ever produced.

Most, if not all strips of Ballard Street can be summed up with :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yay Ballard Street

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

It's been a hot minute since we last saw sulo right? Good to see he's still doing good and still has kitties :3:

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

catlord posted:

After a solid early showing, Jason's just been the worst. I hope he bites it soon.

Axa has a sword? Why didn't she ever use it when...oh right, Axa, the passive protagonist.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

rannum posted:

It's been a hot minute since we last saw sulo right? Good to see he's still doing good and still has kitties :3:

I used to scroll past Mammila all the time but the Sulo not drowning the kittens page was the first one I actually remember reading and I think that's what convinced me to keep sticking around with it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shelley is optimistic that Bruno and her friends would get along if they talked, but judging from their behavior in the bar, Shelley's friends are classist rich snobs who took one look at Bruno and dismiss him as some working class thug.

I'm pretty sure the only reason they're not hating on Ryan for being poor is because he and Shelley were friends from their Griswalds days and Ryan just got grandfathered in the friend group.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens The pregnancies never end lmao

I remember how in the last thread we all made a game trying to guess how soon Holbrook would make the gopher and weasel get together for a pregnancy storyline, and it's surprising how it's been a year and he hasn't done anything about it. Though I guess now that the stupid lion-rhino chimera's been born, Holbrook might just do that. :v:

sweeperbravo posted:

I was surprised when MW took this angle after the weird launch with Eve crying at the mannequin, but should have known better than to think this would end up being anything other than a gross storyline promoting unhealthy and outdated beliefs. You can bet your favorite asscheek the moral of the storyline is going to be "The best way to get over an abusive relationship is to fall in love with someone else! All your problems will be solved, thanks to that special someone a man."

Moy has been pushing a lot of last-century, explicitly or implicitly sexist rhetoric in the past ... all storylines, and it's really nagging at me in a way Mary Worth should not make me care about.

that was a mess of a sentence but w/e

I agree with you on this. I've been reading along since the last couple newspaper comic threads and I don't remember a Mary Worth storyline ever having a good resolution to the relationship conflicts it introduces. There's occasional glimmers of fun like drunk Wilbur getting owned, but for the most part it's been about lovely people like the Westons getting what they want. Beneath the bland art and meandering storytelling, Mary Worth has been pretty toxic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jun 22, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 7-8, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Oct 5, 2018)

(Nov 7, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

amigolupus posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason they're not hating on Ryan for being poor is because he and Shelley were friends from their Griswalds days and Ryan just got grandfathered in the friend group.

Ryan also has the benefit of being Tim's oldest friend, and someone who Tim owes a debt to on account of Ryan taking the fall for that unfortunate invention related accident with Mr. Knott.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 15, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 2, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 11, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 10, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 16, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (May 18, 1947)

Those Were the Days (June 7, 1951)

Wee Pals (May 1, 1965)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

God this strip is so insufferable.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

A timeless comedic conceit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5qwu8nTtc

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

amigolupus posted:

Shelley is optimistic that Bruno and her friends would get along if they talked, but judging from their behavior in the bar, Shelley's friends are classist rich snobs who took one look at Bruno and dismiss him as some working class thug.

They're also weedy and not very physical, which is fine on it's own, but one of the things they make fun of Bruno for a lot is doing menial labor and generally being built like a truck. Ryan's not physically intimidating, but Bruno is, so they make fun of him for it to mask their own insecurities, which is dumb.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

lmao those titles on the kid comics in that Peanuts.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

howe_sam posted:

Ryan also has the benefit of being Tim's oldest friend, and someone who Tim owes a debt to on account of Ryan taking the fall for that unfortunate invention related accident with Mr. Knott.

Haha, I forgot about that bit. Even as a kid, Tim Jones has other people take the fall for his gently caress-ups.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

lmao those titles on the kid comics in that Peanuts.

I originally misread "Ruin Funnies" was "Ruin Enemies" and greatly preferred that one

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (February 15, 1918)

you knitted it, why are you ¡plopping!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

9 "Indecipherable Gibberish That Apparently Turns Some People On" Lane

Edda: Yes, your sexy bald spot. And I love your gray hairs... your wrinkly skin... your liver spots... I'm going to start calling you Brooke, no, Honourable Master...

*sounds of a randy old pervert masturbating at his drawing desk*

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry has street-smarts... uh, plains-smarts?, or We learn a little more about Blueberry's military past, or The ladies hold up their part of the agreement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Some good faces in this one.