Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Club life in Moominvalley

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Comic Strips 2021: It Wasn't My Fault, It Was The Cow...

Also: goddamn, GET ON WITH IT, Zorro. You're the most long-winded of strips, I swear, the protagonist has been dueling these two guys for what, a week now? Two?

Also also: Modesty and Willie didn't have to bail Guido out of trouble! This is a first I think!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: I just want to let you know that the dialogue for Cochise was very stereotypical in the original text, e.g. 'so long as the white man's tongue remains unclouded by lies', 'crazy as a prairie-dog', etc. I think my translation work conveys the general feeling/emotion/specific information without being so hackneyed, or Bascom handles things with tact and dignity, or I think this is what's described as 'the talks breaking down'

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mikl posted:

Also also: Modesty and Willie didn't have to bail Guido out of trouble! This is a first I think!

The strip having him pull off a well planned intelligence operation instead of walking up to the front door shouting "Who order-a tha pizza-pie?!" before getting immediatly captured is an odd character choice for him.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

amigolupus posted:

Here I thought Atte was a good kid with a terrible friend, but no, they're both creeps.

I'm gathering that Atte's supposed to come off as a decent guy struggling with his hormones and peer pressure. He seems to understand that his friend's behavior is wrong, but he doesn't know any better ways to show his interest in someone. But maybe I'm wrong; this comic makes a habit of bending reader expectations.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

For example, I really didn't expect Sulo's story about murdering someone to be framed with an almost comical depiction of the victim. It's like an Everett True strip with actual consequences.

Thanks for bringing us Mammila, by the way. It's great, and I never would have known about it if wasn't for your posts.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kid Fenris posted:

For example, I really didn't expect Sulo's story about murdering someone to be framed with an almost comical depiction of the victim. It's like an Everett True strip with actual consequences.

Thanks for bringing us Mammila, by the way. It's great, and I never would have known about it if wasn't for your posts.

Is that comical? I found it grotesque. The author/artist is very good at caricature.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (May 4, 1936), look at all those reflections and ripples.

Caspar is trying to drive during the 1936 spring floods.

"C.B.G." is presumably the person who gave Webster the idea for this strip.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Holbrook's strips do a LOT of plotlines where a character is forced into a new body or persona against their will and after some initial grumbling, is super cool with it. Fine, I get that there are transformation fetishists out there and I'm sure a bunch of them read the strips, so do what works for your audience, I guess. I just wish that Holbrook hadn't also used these as metaphors for being gay or trans in the past because then that makes the part where the characters decide they're cool with living as a shape that they've been forced into pretty icky. Yeah, I know I'm assigning more depth to the thing than Holbrook intended or is capable of.

Oh, good. Bernice is here to disapprove of everyone.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

You're doing that thing where you're projecting company ethics instead of sensible opinions, Marla. (Though the missing receipt and missing packaging muddles the point a bit, those are reasonable to complain about. It just feels like she has the most issue with the 'I don't want it anymore' part.)
I dunno how it is in the US, but here in the Norway we have a period where customers can return a product regardless of reason. (With the exception of some products like hygienic stuff, underwear, etc.) (Angrerett, literally 'The right to regret'.)
I'm well within my rights as a consumer to buy a thing, try it out, realize I don't actually like it, and return it to the store within 2 weeks. There'll only be an issue if I've damaged the product or whatever.

Some stores will also happily extend that period to a month+, or even let you price-match for products within that period as a way to attract more customers.
(and get the resulting charge as a gift card. I got ~50$ back when I bought a headset once, and it went on sale at a different store 2 weeks later.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mikl posted:

The day ain’t over yet.

Even if they do...Guido has his ‘fiancée’ to reckon with

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (May 4, 1936), look at all those reflections and ripples.

Caspar is trying to drive during the 1936 spring floods.

"C.B.G." is presumably the person who gave Webster the idea for this strip.

I'm surprised Caspar would even try to drive at all during a flood.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weembles posted:

The strip having him pull off a well planned intelligence operation instead of walking up to the front door shouting "Who order-a tha pizza-pie?!" before getting immediatly captured is an odd character choice for him.
I am also impressed at how he moored a still-buoyant canoe underwater. I would not even think such a thing possible.
Like a fine wine.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Technowolf posted:

I'm surprised Caspar would even try to drive at all during a flood.

He probably had some prior obligation, and it would have been rude to cancel.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Spoilered for brief nudity.

Probably the most bizarre comic in the series. Maybe I'm missing something, I know there's a whole weird thing about popping zits but it's such an odd choice for a one-off joke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm all in on Mark Trail right now. This is so strange that I have to see where it goes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LazyQ posted:

Probably the most bizarre comic in the series. Maybe I'm missing something, I know there's a whole weird thing about popping zits but it's such an odd choice for a one-off joke.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Yeah it's a thing. Yeah I'm gonna kinkshame on this one, ew.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm all in on Mark Trail right now. This is so strange that I have to see where it goes.

The trail family works like popeyes family where you take on the physical traits by proximity rather than genetics

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Give me the benefits of a hot oatmeal breakfast!

Samovar posted:

Ok, this may sound weird, but I think I may be hard of hearing, but only for speech? I've noticed a number of times that I can hear very faint sounds, sometimes before other people, but I can completely overlook someone speaking either around me or to me if I am otherwise distracted.

I have a thing where I can hear just fine but I can't understand people talking if there's any sort of background noise. Since hearing tests are just "press a button when you hear a beep" I do really well at them, but sometimes when I'm talking to someone I can hear that they're saying things but I can't understand what they're saying. Even asking them to repeat it a couple of times doesn't help.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think the "pimples" thing started off being literal in the first scene but morphed into some sort of innuendo by the second one, maybe?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I thought nerdy girl actually likes Rane and he calls her chest pimples to mock her so she's playing with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cobalt-60 posted:

I think it's a joke about how messy he left his room.
TEENAGER has CHARACTERISTIC

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Doomykins posted:

I thought nerdy girl actually likes Rane and he calls her chest pimples to mock her so she's playing with it.

No, she actually does like popping zits.

And the stuff about "all those that happen to be on your neck" is him trying to threaten her with violence.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

so glad that Curtis doesn't acknowledge Barry Bonds as the record holder either

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

You could post this after every Holbrook post.

B Kliban

Kliban's into eskimos

My avatar goes to the 1970s zoo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Wow, where did the time go? (Brain problems is where)

Catchup part 1:

2017 Spiderman

Footrot Flats

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 05, 1943)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm gathering that Atte's supposed to come off as a decent guy struggling with his hormones and peer pressure. He seems to understand that his friend's behavior is wrong, but he doesn't know any better ways to show his interest in someone. But maybe I'm wrong; this comic makes a habit of bending reader expectations.

I remember someone mentioning this before, but every update of Mämmilä does a bit of a time skip, and there's never really in-between scenes to help transition from the old to the new status quo, so it can get a little jarring.

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh, good. Bernice is here to disapprove of everyone.

In the hands of a better writer, this would be the point where Luann finally has enough of Bernice's bullshit of not trusting her, and Bernice has to face the consequences of being a judgmental jerk. But this is Team Evans, so...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fondue posted:

Hola, angelitos!

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have a thing where I can hear just fine but I can't understand people talking if there's any sort of background noise. Since hearing tests are just "press a button when you hear a beep" I do really well at them, but sometimes when I'm talking to someone I can hear that they're saying things but I can't understand what they're saying. Even asking them to repeat it a couple of times doesn't help.

I have this as well. It's called Central Auditory Processing Disorder. As an adult, it really only gives me trouble in environments like loud parties or crowded restaurants (plus it makes it hard for me to understand people with unfamiliar accents), but as a kid it really interfered with my ability to deal with all sorts of stuff. It sounds like you have a relatively mild case, but if it's giving you trouble, you now at least know what to bring up to your doctor. There are hearing tests specific to it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

itt we discover we have diagnosable hearing disorders.

Bogor

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

amigolupus posted:

I remember someone mentioning this before, but every update of Mämmilä does a bit of a time skip, and there's never really in-between scenes to help transition from the old to the new status quo, so it can get a little jarring.

In the hands of a better writer, this would be the point where Luann finally has enough of Bernice's bullshit of not trusting her, and Bernice has to face the consequences of being a judgmental jerk. But this is Team Evans, so...

it’s so strange to me that the evanses know bernice is an awful, judgmental busybody, prude, and perpetual wet blanket, but they never give her any consequences. they write like they’re making a garbage sitcom, but even in sitcoms there’s some kind of balance

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 12, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 20, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 6, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 1, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 31, 1935)

Dark Laughter (December 20, 1941)

“Mr. Bootsie was tellin’ me that he was going to buy it but they wanted him to pay seven dollars an’ fifty cents more than he thought it was worth.”

Mopsy Sunday (September 21, 1947)

Those Were the Days (October 18, 1951)

Wee Pals (May 22, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LazyQ posted:

I guess my aunt will pop zits on her kids' backs, it's a little bit of bonding time where they talk and stuff, but she was surprised that my mum didn't do the same and that I thought it was a bit unusual. My mum has no idea where she got it from, so I guess it wasn't from my grandma.

fondue posted:

B Kliban

I love Kliban's calaveras comics.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 13th, 1940

I'm not really loving Dinky Dinkerton, but "you're a jackass-of-all-trades" is pretty good.

Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

fondue posted:

B Kliban

man grim fandango's a great game

e: f, b:

Hwurmp posted:

Hola, angelitos!