Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is back and smarter than ever!

Working Daze yeah I have no idea.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is really bad at this.

Cul De Sac knows that THE END TIMES ARE UPON US!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (December 6, 1923)

No, this is clearly an "And he died!" cartoon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Crabrass is so loving good.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 8, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 8-9, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 24, 2019)

(Apr 26, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1951-54

I think it's a New York thing. Delmonico's was a fixture...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 25, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1951-54

I think it's a New York thing. Delmonico's was a fixture...

It might also be that he's in a hurry but he's getting into a horsedrawn cab instead of a taxi?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It's another "Displaced In Time" gag. The man is in oldfashioned clothes and is asking the gimmick Horse Carriage Ride For Tourists to drive him like it's a modern cab.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Great. I've just realised I posted some pages totally out of order. I'm a nit-wit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/24/01

Brenda Starr 12/17-19/45

"But ... but the bowtie makes me look dashing and bohemian, like that eye patch guy! Doesn't it?"

Smokey Stover 8/13/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Green Intern posted:

It's another "Displaced In Time" gag. The man is in oldfashioned clothes and is asking the gimmick Horse Carriage Ride For Tourists to drive him like it's a modern cab.

The original Delmonico's closed in 1923, which helps the displacement joke.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 24, 2019)

That second panel would make a nice avatar.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now here's one that reads differently these days.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

I can't help but feel like Bill Bettwy is loving with his publisher and/or readers to see if anybody's paying attention.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 24, 1999)

I dread this day

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Samovar posted:

Ok, this may sound weird, but I think I may be hard of hearing, but only for speech? I've noticed a number of times that I can hear very faint sounds, sometimes before other people, but I can completely overlook someone speaking either around me or to me if I am otherwise distracted.

Sorta similar. I can hear very faint sounds, but also speech very well, if it's QUIET. Background noise though really fucks up my ability to understand speech.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have a thing where I can hear just fine but I can't understand people talking if there's any sort of background noise. Since hearing tests are just "press a button when you hear a beep" I do really well at them, but sometimes when I'm talking to someone I can hear that they're saying things but I can't understand what they're saying. Even asking them to repeat it a couple of times doesn't help.

We should start a support group.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hwurmp posted:

Hola, angelitos!

I’ll bite you, I swear to God.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man, kind of a wet fart of an ending on Helen's return to the Tinkersons.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 25, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

You're doing that thing where you're projecting company ethics instead of sensible opinions, Marla. (Though the missing receipt and missing packaging muddles the point a bit, those are reasonable to complain about. It just feels like she has the most issue with the 'I don't want it anymore' part.)
I dunno how it is in the US, but here in the Norway we have a period where customers can return a product regardless of reason. (With the exception of some products like hygienic stuff, underwear, etc.) (Angrerett, literally 'The right to regret'.)
I'm well within my rights as a consumer to buy a thing, try it out, realize I don't actually like it, and return it to the store within 2 weeks. There'll only be an issue if I've damaged the product or whatever.
I'm absolutely certain America doesn't have that. We don't have that in Australia either. You can return a product that was unfit for purpose (which can include breaking or wearing out too quickly, or not doing what the person who sold it to you said it would), but if you just decided you didn't want it then it's up to the shop whether to take it back or not.

Based on the 2020-10-27 strip, Mark "Happy" Trail III, (father of the current Mark Trail) correlates with James Allen's tenure, making his father the Jack Elrod version of the character. Jack Elrod took over the comic in 1978 and introduced Rusty in 1981.

Mark's father is the original Rusty.

quote:

“I don't know why dogs always go for postmen, I'm sure," continued our guide.
"It's a matter of reasoning," said Poirot. "The dog, he argues from reason. He is intelligent; he makes his deductions according to his point of view. There are people who may enter a house and there are people who may not - that a dog soon learns. Eh bien, who is the person who most persistently tries to gain admission, rattling on the door twice or three times a day - and who is never by any chance admitted? The postman. Clearly, then, an undesirable guest from the point of view of the master of the house. He is always sent about his business, but he persistently returns and tries again. Then a dog's duty is clear, to aid in driving this undesirable man away, and to bite him if possible. A most reasonable proceeding.”
― Agatha Christie, Dumb Witness

Why even make it a negotiation? As the parent, you can just tell your child how late they're allowed to be out. You don't have to haggle.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 25, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Based on the 2020-10-27 strip, Mark "Happy" Trail III, (father of the current Mark Trail) correlates with James Allen's tenure, making his father the Jack Elrod version of the character. Jack Elrod took over the comic in 1978 and intriduced Rusty in 1981.

Mark's father is the original Rusty.

That's a really neat way to maintain continuity that makes sense of the backstory without necessitating a functional reboot. If you squint really hard the repeated names can just be an unlikely coincidence, especially since I doubt anyone in comic is going to call attention to it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (October 25-29, 1999)

This is the first good look we get at Edgar, Rhonda's boyfriend, though he appeared briefly in one panel last (in-strip) year. He'll be a minor character, but he will get a few story arcs focused on him... Starting in 2005, when he'll show up next. (Holbrook tends to have minor characters appear for one or two strips, and then years later he'll reach through time and pull them out when needed. This will be a recurring trend.)

See ya in six years, Edgar!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Seeing classic and present Kevin and Kel side by side its bugging the hell out of me that apparently Rudy and Fiona have been together much longer with their relationship much more in focus than Lindesfarne and the bat yet they were somehow so outpaced in the fuckery department that Lindesfarne and the bat already have a kid while Rudy and Fiona are still acting like coy teenagers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Why even make it a negotiation? As the parent, you can just tell your child how late they're allowed to be out. You don't have to haggle.

Because Michael is much more likely to accept and follow a rule that he has agreed to than one that is imposed on him without discussion. Compared to Lynn's usual standards this is relatively good parenting.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Seeing classic and present Kevin and Kel side by side its bugging the hell out of me that apparently Rudy and Fiona have been together much longer with their relationship much more in focus than Lindesfarne and the bat yet they were somehow so outpaced in the fuckery department that Lindesfarne and the bat already have a kid while Rudy and Fiona are still acting like coy teenagers.

Well, the strip starts when Rudy is in his last year of middle school; he graduates, and moves on to high school, where thus far he's had two prom dances. (Well, we've only seen the first one through Bruno, who took Rhonda as his date last year, but still.) So he's in his second year.

Very minor spoiler which I'll not even tag: rudy will graduate from high school in 2015.

Soap Opera Time, bay-bee! :getin:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Tiggum posted:

I'm absolutely certain America doesn't have that. We don't have that in Australia either. You can return a product that was unfit for purpose (which can include breaking or wearing out too quickly, or not doing what the person who sold it to you said it would), but if you just decided you didn't want it then it's up to the shop whether to take it back or not.

And when I worked electronics retail in about the mid 00's, saying "I opened it, I used it, but there's nothing wrong with it, I just don't want it" on a return would typically result in a 15% Restocking Fee if you went ahead with the return.

It's unlikely that any particular sales associate would perform any sort of check to verify that an item you claimed was nonfunctional actually was, though.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Tiggum posted:

Based on the 2020-10-27 strip, Mark "Happy" Trail III, (father of the current Mark Trail) correlates with James Allen's tenure, making his father the Jack Elrod version of the character. Jack Elrod took over the comic in 1978 and introduced Rusty in 1981.

I don't think it's a precise 1:1 match, because Jules seems to be incorporating parts of the other Trails' into our current Trail. (Most notably, it appears that nu-Mark was the one who got stuck in a cave for a ridiculous amount of time. Though it could have happened to both Trails.)

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Well, the strip starts when Rudy is in his last year of middle school; he graduates, and moves on to high school, where thus far he's had two prom dances. (Well, we've only seen the first one through Bruno, who took Rhonda as his date last year, but still.) So he's in his second year.

How old is Lindesfarne supposed to be? The older strips give the impression they're about the same age, but in the newer ones she seems a lot older. Although now that I think about it, maybe she was always supposed to be a lot older than Rudy. I don't recall ever having seen her gone to school. I also don't recall her ever mentioning what her job is. And now the vagueness is irritating me, because she shows up about as often as Rudy does so it's weird that the context of her social life isn't as obvious as his is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Compu-toon dipping into lucidity to be criminally depressing owns

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

How old is Lindesfarne supposed to be? The older strips give the impression they're about the same age, but in the newer ones she seems a lot older. Although now that I think about it, maybe she was always supposed to be a lot older than Rudy. I don't recall ever having seen her gone to school. I also don't recall her ever mentioning what her job is. And now the vagueness is irritating me, because she shows up about as often as Rudy does so it's weird that the context of her social life isn't as obvious as his is.

I think she's supposed to be innnn... high school? She's had fast food jobs and I think done a TA position at least once?
e: Maybe college, actually. She had like a thesis or something about domestication

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

i think shes about 4-5 years older

also when do fionas ears get bigger? was it just a gradual art change or is there some dumb in univers justification

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i think shes about 4-5 years older

also when do fionas ears get bigger? was it just a gradual art change or is there some dumb in univers justification

About four years older, yeah. Rudy is 13 at the start of the strip, Lindesfarne is 17.

And Fiona's ears get bigger all of a sudden. It's explicitly her fennec heritage coming out when she hits a certain point in puberty, they have a Very Special Episode Story Arc about it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

This is a dumber title than shows up in strips where the entire joke is that management tries to reward people with dumb titles instead of raises.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace

this rules so hard

good job curtis mom

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

davidspackage posted:

Man, kind of a wet fart of an ending on Helen's return to the Tinkersons.

I won't be surprised if that's not the ending.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Club life in Moominvalley

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

This is the second time they've used this art and they really need to back away from making the mom look exactly like Dustin in these scenarios.

Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I think it's a valid point.

Mark Trail IV

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

If he's going this far into this he could at least provide recipes.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G