Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

^^^

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Feigning self awareness to only be a bigger piece of poo poo is some real boomer hours

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Manuel Calavera posted:

Also you missed the feeder fetish stuff from the early days.

I wouldn't exactly say I missed it.

But yeah, I know about how Jimbo was always trying to get Rose to overeat and fantasizing about her being fat. I feel like Rose's mother (who is basically just "Rose but fat") was somehow involved in this.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"That's OK. I love you, and I'm sure you'll try to do better next time. It's tough looking for a job today! Let me know if I can help somehow. See you at dinner, son!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Johnny Walker posted:

"That's OK. I love you, and I'm sure you'll try to do better next time. It's tough looking for a job today! Let me know if I can help somehow. See you at dinner, son!"

also,
"Son, I am a concern and am going to get you on an insurance plan to help you get through what you're dealing with physically and mentally."

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

You would think they would put that in the contract up front, “No loving with Modesty!”

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

One of the more egregious touches in Rose is Rose is the little cluster of candy canes, flowers, whatever, to signify...sweetness? love? happiness? I swear that comic were a real place it would smell like those potpourri-stuffed gift shops.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 8-9, 1933)

Peanuts (April 10-11, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

It's usually a bad idea to read the comments. Today, I risked it...

Big surprise that Mutt and Jeff is doing continuity this late in the game.

Rip Haywire

I know what you're thinking...and yeah, I see it too.

Thimble Theater (November 6 and 8, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 1-3, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (June 18-20, 1917)

Dok's "Okay, Which One Of You Assholes Ate The Edge Of The Page?" Duck (90% of July 24, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 9, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Peppermint Patty strips really are an exception to "modern" Peanuts strips being bad. This one in particular hits different as an adult looking back at school and realizing how many of my problems there ultimately came down to parents not being around enough.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 1-3, 1936)

I relate to this, forget 30 years too soon my parents had a wood fired stove until well after I left home. The ash would fall into a giant metal tin and we'd leave it until it was well overflowing before we bothered emptying it so yes, if it was windy out you wore a good percentage of it and possibly watched some of it burst into flame. Emptying that thing was an adventure in "will i be covered in ash and/or set fire to something today!". The firebox had a huge hole in it so all our homecooked food was lightly smoked and burned on one side if you forgot to go shuffle things around. You regulated the oven temp by just opening the door.

It ran the hot water too, so if the fire was out & you wanted a bath well fucker you best light the fire & wait for two hours and listen for the gurgling that tells you its ready. The hot-water temperature came in 2 flavours - stone cold or boiling so hard it sputtered out of the tap (and, fairly often, out of the relief valve & out onto the roof).

Oh and more than once a year the whole flu would catch fire and shoot huge flames & creosote out the chimney. Somehow it didn't burn the place down before it was replaced with an electric one. I do kind of miss it though, in winter it would heat the whole house & anytime the power went out we could still eat & be warm. I don't miss chopping wood in the rain or starting a fire to take a bath.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Those are some great expressions in the last panel there.

The Dinette Set missed its window.

Working Daze IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S THE PAST GET IT? REMEMBER GEOCITIES? AND JAY THINKS HE WON'T BE THERE LONG BUT WE KNOW HE WILL BE! LAUGH drat YOU!!!

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is just egging us on.

Cul De Sac isn't jealous!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 9, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TomBat and his smug face.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (September 28, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 8, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 4, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 22, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 22, 1935)

Someone was posting Mopsy dailies in the thread, but I haven’t seen it in some time, so …
Mopsy
The first is from the December 21, 1936 St. Louis Globe Democrat. Here is the comics page from that day - to give you a sense of the time.

This is the earliest one I could find - and after pulling a bunch, I’ve never seen any of these before. Mopsy was not featured on the comics page - it was printed with the classifieds in the back of the paper. Early Mopsys ran across only one column - so the quality is not the best.

Dark Laughter (July 24, 1943)

Those Were the Days (August 28, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 13, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 13, 1965)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (July 7, 1965)

By the way, holy poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (July 13, 1965)

Got the cause and effect a bit flipped there, I reckon.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

PetraCore posted:

I think it really hinges on what the survivor of abuse wants - and in this story, she wants to forgive him as a means of processing her emotions about the events and releasing them. Forgiveness can also be helpful because it explicitly means there's something to forgive, and places the blame for abuse squarely where it belongs, on the abuser.

Unfortunately, this story is a badly written slog so genuine theraputic methods that help quite a few people (and would likewise be ill-fitting for plenty of other people) are coming off as the Only Good Way To Process Abuse and as weirdly easy and mild to boot.

This is a good way of putting it. While I don't think victims should be required or even pushed to forgive their abusers, not all victims process what they went through in the same way, so some of them might feel that forgiveness will help them move on. What Mary Worth fails at is showing any of this nuance, so it just comes across as this gross lesson that forgiving your abusers is the only way.

It also doesn't help that as soon as we found out Eve's husband tried to shoot her, the story swerved away from it and we've wasted [i]months[/i[ with this pointless 'but have you considered DOG?' crap. There's no actual exploration of the trauma Eve went through, or what she does to deal with her fears, or even coming to terms that her husband was a terrible monster and it wasn't her fault. The fact she only went through one therapy session and she's already magically moved on is just insulting to abuse victims.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand to run months of two old people talking about dogs is dadist absurdism that rivals Heathcliff

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows Concludes! Featuring Little Claire, Lottie's new hairdo, and the glimpse of a new mystery!

As an aside, that's a beautifully drawn Georgian terrace. I used to live in a flat just like that. In the late 18th century, there was this fashion for very narrow, very tall houses: they work great as converted flats but as houses you must have been climbing up and down stairs the entire day lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Drimble Wedge posted:

One of the more egregious touches in Rose is Rose is the little cluster of candy canes, flowers, whatever, to signify...sweetness? love? happiness? I swear that comic were a real place it would smell like those potpourri-stuffed gift shops.

But what about when someone eats that food that causes the most horrific stench known to mankind, a smell so foul nobody can stand it? The human skulls show the true deathly danger of smelling...garlic breath.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/8/01

Brenda Starr 3/28-3/30/46

Smokey Stover 6/9/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

2020 AD, huh?

I agree we need a Good Dog monument, though. Off to Kickstarter!

Bonus Ad! This campaign is pretty infamous, for obvious reasons...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

we have to wait til monday to see more of this :negative:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 21-27, 2000)

So. Harelink. It's been spelled Harelink. HareLink, Hare-Link. This will be Kevin's job going forward. (I am totally unclear as to what he did at the start of the strip: he was "admin of the Herbivore Forum" before he started flea-bay, his online grooming service -- which sounds real bad but actually isn't! -- which was then spun off to the dating service Mating Call. But was "admin of the Herbivore Forum" an actual job? I dunno.)

Harelink is (was?) also a legit, honest-to-goodness internet service provider, based around the Atlanta area, started by Holbrook himself; I have no idea, however, how much Holbrook did for the company, besides providing the original idea and the name. After ISP business became unprofitable, the real life Harelink was converted into a website design service, providing everything from the domain to the website itself, as well as search engine optimisation, marketing, and so on.

Harelink might be still active as of writing. The website, harelink.com (which is still linked to in K&K's main page), redirects to another website, which as of right now is suspended; by digging through the Internet Archive, though, the latest working snapshot is from January 26th, 2021 (please note that it depicts a few characters we haven't met in-strip yet, so spoilers), so it might be just a case of the site owner forgetting to renew the domain. It has happened before.

(Also actual lol at someone going "It's immoral to sell our customers' personal information!"

Well. I mean. It is immoral. But no one seems concerned about it these days...)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Mikl posted:

(I am totally unclear as to what he did at the start of the strip: he was "admin of the Herbivore Forum" before he started flea-bay, his online grooming service -- which sounds real bad but actually isn't! -- which was then spun off to the dating service Mating Call. But was "admin of the Herbivore Forum" an actual job? I dunno.)

This was a great example of K+K's just-barely-out-of-touch sort of familiarity with tech stuff--it never seemed to be aware that in the real world, "sysadmin" and "administrator of a discussion forum" are two different roles, and while it would've been perfectly reasonable to depict Kevin as someone with both jobs, it instead seemed to suggest that they were just the same thing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

There were some skipped scenes. Apparently Ester's main scandal here was the unauthorized attendance to the masquerade, that became public and they were worried that her father could even kill her. Ester herself is also afraid of the arranged marriage her father had planned.

Meanwhile Karl's manslaughter seems to be considered something that you can be pardoned after the smoke has been cleared (since he's a well-connected nobleman and his victim was a known rear end in a top hat).

The narrator seems to agree with Ester that the countess' attempt to ship her with the gardener is well-meaning, but ultimately she lacks understanding of how the common people behave.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 9, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

"You should be sophisticated and stylish, a career man who has a good income but understands work/life balance. Your home should be impressive yet welcoming. Also, you should be taller."

-- A young woman

----- A middle-aged man

(Shut the gently caress up Skelley.)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

The first is from the December 21, 1936 St. Louis Globe Democrat. Here is the comics page from that day - to give you a sense of the time.

And a Merry Christmas to good ol' Maw Green, faithful mouthpiece for Harold Gray's "Generosity is Foolish" gospel.

Also on this page is Edwin Alger, which was a pseudonym picked by Jay Jerome Williams to evoke Horatio Alger. It's the best pen name for a strip about a polite and earnest young man who isn't afraid of a little hard work for some honest pay, no sir.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 30, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 30, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 30, 1989)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "15 - Jucika in the Enchanted Castle" (or "Fun House.")

I'll spoiler the strips with full nudity, let me know if risqué deserves it too.

"Jucika Reconciles."

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ukonvasara posted:

This was a great example of K+K's just-barely-out-of-touch sort of familiarity with tech stuff--it never seemed to be aware that in the real world, "sysadmin" and "administrator of a discussion forum" are two different roles, and while it would've been perfectly reasonable to depict Kevin as someone with both jobs, it instead seemed to suggest that they were just the same thing.

Remember, K&K is loving old. As in, when it launched, 'discussion forum' didn't refer to a webpage, it referred to Compuserve. I don't think that paying forum admin jobs were quite as prevalent as K&K portrays, and they were certainly on their way out regardless, but it's not as much of an exaggeration as you might think.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Big Bill Dautrive energy off that second panel

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate/love that Phoebe joke, and Wallace continues to be such a good friend.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

What

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wh *looks back up* oh.
:stare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is Natalie a known entity?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics