Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Until they were old enough to know the real names for things, somehow my girls came to call their bottoms their "butts" and their privates their "butt butts."

I would imagine a family with a less permissive atmosphere would have shut that down in favor of something else, and those kids would be endlessly amused by the idea of getting to say butt so often.

e: Oh god what a snipe.

Also, discounting the discussion of what age is the right age to know the real names for things, which is obviously "it's OK to know the proper names for body parts right off the bat, because they're not bad parts and it's not bad to have them." But also, your kid saying "butt butt" is funny so you let it slide.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So Author Unknown? starts next Monday. As promised, I made a brief intro / guide to the cast of Steeple as well as the Tackleford cast that will be appearing. You can download it as a pdf here The password is TheOther.

I also exported the pdf as images:

Note if you want to read the Steeple comics, they are available on comixology. I'd buy the collected graphic novel as that has the four page epilogue tht wraps up the series nicely (which, to be fair, is avaiable on the Steeple website). You can read the stories written in 2020 at https://steeple.church

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is it supposed to be a "kids cant say anatomy" joke?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Everything has a cost.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Everybody in this godforsaken comic needs a drat back brace. Entire world of stoop-shouldered schlubs.

Big Belly-laugh for Buff Burt

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (June 8, 1918)

My guy out here just making himself coffee syrup, I guess. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tambaloneus posted:

I relate to this, forget 30 years too soon my parents had a wood fired stove until well after I left home. The ash would fall into a giant metal tin and we'd leave it until it was well overflowing before we bothered emptying it so yes, if it was windy out you wore a good percentage of it and possibly watched some of it burst into flame. Emptying that thing was an adventure in "will i be covered in ash and/or set fire to something today!". The firebox had a huge hole in it so all our homecooked food was lightly smoked and burned on one side if you forgot to go shuffle things around. You regulated the oven temp by just opening the door.

It ran the hot water too, so if the fire was out & you wanted a bath well fucker you best light the fire & wait for two hours and listen for the gurgling that tells you its ready. The hot-water temperature came in 2 flavours - stone cold or boiling so hard it sputtered out of the tap (and, fairly often, out of the relief valve & out onto the roof).

Oh and more than once a year the whole flu would catch fire and shoot huge flames & creosote out the chimney. Somehow it didn't burn the place down before it was replaced with an electric one. I do kind of miss it though, in winter it would heat the whole house & anytime the power went out we could still eat & be warm. I don't miss chopping wood in the rain or starting a fire to take a bath.

Lol we still use firewood in our house, built new 2013 (secondary source, main is a heat pump with ground loop). And you either had a lovely stove, or sopping wet firewood or both to get issues like that. With secondary combustion in our masonry heater, it burns so clean we've had the chimney sweep over once since the house was built and he though the chimney didn't look dirty.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cicadalek posted:

Is it supposed to be a "kids cant say anatomy" joke?

There already exists hundred of slang words for various parts of the body, you think kids wouldn't find some of them hilarious, or come up with their own?

I believe it is just saying (My friend) calls body parts (funnier/more interesting) terms than (whatever terms we use at home)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 30, 1999)

something tells me this story wont have a happy ending!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Going by the 2008 copyright on this strip, I must point out that the Nintendo DS had replaced the Game Boy Advance to the point where even little kids wouldn't be asking for a GBA.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

rannum posted:

something tells me this story wont have a happy ending!
I very temporarily did an internship with a bird rescue in the baby bird section that got flooded every spring, and I can tell you, it almost certainly does not. Baby birds that young need to be fed formula every few hours, and when they get a bit older you can move on to small insects but still on a pretty strict schedule.

On a happier note, my favorites were the baby crows. They'd get raised together in an annual flock to be released together, and you had to be careful not to talk to them or they'd imprint too strongly on humans. Still, they were super smart and knew immediately when you came to their enclosure to feed them, and when I leaned over to feed ones lower down I'd always get a few hopping on my back like 'hurry up!!!' They liked to play with my hair. :3

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (June 1, 1991)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That doesn't look like a happy marriage.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sari is so menacing in that second to last panel

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

rannum posted:

Sari Chuckie is so menacing in that second to last panel

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Didn't start out so happily as I recall either, all arguing from teens sneaking in the bedroom window to now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 27, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Aug. 27, 1944)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kid Fenris posted:

Going by the 2008 copyright on this strip, I must point out that the Nintendo DS had replaced the Game Boy Advance to the point where even little kids wouldn't be asking for a GBA.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder

:v:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Huxley posted:

Until they were old enough to know the real names for things, somehow my girls came to call their bottoms their "butts" and their privates their "butt butts."

I would imagine a family with a less permissive atmosphere would have shut that down in favor of something else, and those kids would be endlessly amused by the idea of getting to say butt so often.

e: Oh god what a snipe.

Also, discounting the discussion of what age is the right age to know the real names for things, which is obviously "it's OK to know the proper names for body parts right off the bat, because they're not bad parts and it's not bad to have them." But also, your kid saying "butt butt" is funny so you let it slide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrUgJ6xixwM

F Minus

Thinkin' about those beans.

Mark Trail

MT commenters really hate Jules. I wonder if she's now intentionally loving with them. She seems like the sort to do that.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Bonus: Dehumanize yourself and face to casserole.

(there are actual recipes below it but they take up half a drat page and I assume none of you are dying to make spinach & ham rollups)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good gravy. Janis is heated.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, this might be dumber than Mandrake.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Johnny Aztec posted:

There already exists hundred of slang words for various parts of the body, you think kids wouldn't find some of them hilarious, or come up with their own?

I believe it is just saying (My friend) calls body parts (funnier/more interesting) terms than (whatever terms we use at home)

Just put your magic fireman into my hoo-haw dilley.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

This is a really extensive way to teach readers to stop letting their drat cats go outside to decimate local bird populations.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

MT commenters really hate Jules. I wonder if she's now intentionally loving with them. She seems like the sort to do that.
Either way, it's nice to see a femme bearded person just casually hanging out on the comics page. I absolutely don't want to know what the comments section is saying about Ambrosia, though. :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

This is a really extensive way to teach readers to stop letting their drat cats go outside to decimate local bird populations.

Arlo's reaction is well depicted.

edit: I didn't notice at first because of how angry Janis is

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

"The woman saw a blue car but the world is in black and white! Book her, dad!"

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Making a character that slut-shames the two main characters and having them put up with it sure is a choice.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gonna be honest, Mämmilä's getting closer and closer to being like Funky Winkerbean, where it's a small town full of assholes and only misery ever seems to happen in their lives. I know the tone's supposed to be melancholic, but I feel like it 's been overshooting the mark for a while now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Please don't recap the worst sequence in the history of this comic. Did you hear me? NO RECAP!

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Gonna be honest, Mämmilä's getting closer and closer to being like Funky Winkerbean, where it's a small town full of assholes and only misery ever seems to happen in their lives. I know the tone's supposed to be melancholic, but I feel like it 's been overshooting the mark for a while now.

Unfortunately we're hitting what I consider the worst part of the series, where the story revolves around Rane being a piece of poo poo and the tension in Syrjänen family. Luckily the series finds a more comedic footing again towards the end.

Speaking of the end, we now have about four months to go with 123 pages left.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

amigolupus posted:

Making a character that slut-shames the two main characters and having them put up with it sure is a choice.

In fairness, Maggie brought a dude back to the rectory where she is a guest, so I think she may not have much moral high ground.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm hoping that the bewildered look on Thel's face means that the joke is that she's worried some kid taught Dolly some actual swears.

So I had one hell of a week at work. (I work in a dental office and this last week of Foob has basically been a documentary and that's just the beginning.) Now I'm home and feeling kind of bad, but there's always a way to make it worse!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

amigolupus posted:

By this point even the residents of Lake Woebegone are asking if they need someone to talk to.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm hoping that the bewildered look on Thel's face means that the joke is that she's worried some kid taught Dolly some actual swears.

It always startles me that both the mom in Family Circle has a name, and that people know it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's short for Thessalonians.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Kid Fenris posted:

True but haven't you ever heard of that stereotype of the clueless mom who goes into gamestop, picks up a ps4 game and asks "will this work on a nintendo?"